Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i think the thing eveybody is forgetting is that we now have a different manager to the one when Chucks left - he also plays a different system 
    As in he will be less effective this time round?!!
    no, in that jackson may rate him and want to use him in a way that adkins didn't - i was amazed at how little Chucks played in that Adkins run in at the end of last season 
    He came on as a sub every time he was on the bench under Adkins....... He missed two games as he was injured. 

Adkins wanted him and was told it was a formality he, and Amos, would resign. 
  • Options
    Adkins used him as much as Bowyer. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Make you wonder what Gallen and Co. have been doing if Chuks and Defoe are the answer....no L2 strikers worth taking a punt on or other championship strikers not getting minutes ? 

Burnley fighting relegation for example....Chris Wood wasnt going for less than his £25mil release clause. I like him but he isnt worth that!
    He is if Newcastle stay up in place of Burnley and guarantee themselves £120M+.
  • Options
    Last season Chuks was in-form, so could almost guarantee a decent contribution.

This season, he can't be in much form because he's only scored once. 

Hopefully the change of scene will turn things around for him but there's a chance it might take a while. 
  • Options
    Not been injured at Brum, as rarely starts a game. Only started 3 games all season. Unlike here where at least half our injuries occur in training or during international breaks. 

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Make you wonder what Gallen and Co. have been doing if Chuks and Defoe are the answer....no L2 strikers worth taking a punt on or other championship strikers not getting minutes ? 

Burnley fighting relegation for example....Chris Wood wasnt going for less than his £25mil release clause. I like him but he isnt worth that!
    He is if Newcastle stay up in place of Burnley and guarantee themselves £120M+.
    Big if at the moment isnt it? 
  • Options
    Let’s be realistic….if the sum is the equivalent to a three bedroom mid terrace property in Dartford as reported, it’s not a lot of wedge is it. 😏
    I've translated your post so that all Charlton life members understand it
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i think the thing eveybody is forgetting is that we now have a different manager to the one when Chucks left - he also plays a different system 
    no, in that jackson may rate him and want to use him in a way that adkins didn't - i was amazed at how little Chucks played in that Adkins run in at the end of last season 
    He came on as a sub every time he was on the bench under Adkins....... He missed two games as he was injured. 

Thats not my recollection but i'll take your word for it - i remember him playing with Stockley one game but that was about it - i think if played off of Stockley, like most strikers, he will be at his best - how on earth Adkins played Stockley up top on his own (i know he's done it elsewhere but doesn't make it right) i'll never know. Chucks was probably told he was gonna be one of the 2 wider forwards but maybe he didn't fancy that? Chucks can also rotate a bit with Lee i should think - get Stockley, Wash and Chucks on the pitch at the same time could be interesting.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton and Sandgaard in particular can't ever win with loads of keyboard worriers on here
    Yes Chuks fancied his chances at the higher level.  Brum took him on at least partly cos he was relatively cheap, they're broke don't forget.  Despite Brum's shabby season, Chuks has barely featured, even for a manager that knows him well and used him as much as he could for us.
    For my 2pworth, using up a squad place on a 28y.o. lump who's never got his fitness up to scratch, even for 3rd division football, looks like a foolishly risky strategy.  Against that we have to concede that IF you can get him on the pitch, as a sub, his impact and goalscoring record is worth having.  I never saw him put in any sort of performance when starting games, which is a major worry when our chief striker is out indefinitely.  Awkward timing when the gaffer is singing Mason Burstow's praises in the press.  Wednesday night our only attacking option on the bench was MB, all the while Leko was stinking the place up Jacko's hands were tied.  Chuks could have been the man for the moment Wednesday night, but we'd hope those situations only arose once or twice a season.
    I hope Chuks makes me eat my words by starting 20 games and hitting double figures in goals by May.  Breath not held.
    Oh yeah
    one more thing
    WIOTOS
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

Thats not my recollection but i'll take your word for it - i remember him playing with Stockley one game but that was about it - i think if played off of Stockley, like most strikers, he will be at his best - how on earth Adkins played Stockley up top on his own (i know he's done it elsewhere but doesn't make it right) i'll never know. Chucks was probably told he was gonna be one of the 2 wider forwards but maybe he didn't fancy that? Chucks can also rotate a bit with Lee i should think - get Stockley, Wash and Chucks on the pitch at the same time could be interesting.  
    Or stockley, chucks and burstow. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    SSN confirm Chuks is back £300.000 deal.. :)
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

i don't think Burstow is ready personally 
  • Options
    Another win for the agents?  This reminds me of Del boy turning a fiver into a very large round of drinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiq8U76Y_1o
  • Options
    Benjy Nurick's article 11/2/21

The early strike was Aneke’s 10th of the league campaign, the double-digit mark hit with impressive efficiency. Of every player in League One with 10 goals or more, Aneke’s 101 minutes per goal sits second behind only Plymouth’s Luke Jephcott. Excluding penalties, Aneke ranks first. It’s been a remarkable resurgence from a striker who scored just once in the Championship last term as injuries hampered his first year in SE7.

This season, Aneke has largely stayed fit, and he’s quickly become Charlton’s most decisive game-changer.

Handled with intense care by Lee Bowyer, Aneke has started just eight of Charlton’s 27 games, coming off the bench in another 14. But his light usage hasn’t been down to a lack of impact. For Bowyer, Aneke has simply been too important to risk. But the inescapable reality is that Charlton are a much better team with Chuks Aneke on the pitch.

In Aneke’s eight starts, Charlton are unbeaten, winning four and drawing four, earning two points per game. In his 14 substitute appearances, Charlton’s points per game have dropped to 1.5. And in the five games where he didn’t feature at all? 1.2 points per game.

To be fair to Charlton’s manager, it’s not as if he doesn’t recognise Aneke’s importance.

“It is an impossible situation that I’m in,” Bowyer said in January. “You see what he brings to us and I want to play him all the time – but at the same time I can’t afford to lose him.”

With the team-orientated nature of football, ‘points per game with and without any individual player’ is an easily fallible statistic. But in the case of Aneke, he truly has proven to be this team’s spark time and time again. Despite playing just 41 per cent of his side’s minutes, Charlton have been noticeably more dangerous with Aneke on the pitch, scoring 23 goals with him, and just 18 without him while managing 163 shots (14.6 per game) when he’s played, and 152 shots (9.6 per game) when he hasn’t.

Charlton have lost just once in the nine games Aneke has scored in, and many of their better results and biggest moments are owed to him.

Against Blackpool in October, he came off the bench in the second half and headed in the winner with seven minutes left to play. A month later he rescued his side at Gillingham, coming on to equalise in the 82nd minute.

In December, Charlton found themselves 2-1 down to Wimbledon at The Valley when Aneke entered the pitch after 53 minutes. By full-time, Charlton had completely turned it around, winning 5-2, in no small part due to Aneke who assisted Jake Forster-Caskey’s equaliser before making it 4-2 himself. One week later he did it again, coming off the bench to score in Charlton’s 2-2 draw at Swindon.

In fact, Aneke has been so effective off the bench that it’s become his main role. But recently, he’s also started to debunk the myth that he isn’t as good from the start. It’s been frequently hypothesised that Aneke needs tired defences to fully assert himself and while it is true that he didn’t score in his first four starts this season, his goal on Saturday made it four goals in his last four starts.

In the home fixture with Rochdale, Aneke just about led the comeback on his own, scoring in the 22nd minute to halve an early two-goal deficit before again bringing his side back into the game with the goal to make it 3-4 in the second half. But Aneke didn’t stop there, assisting Ronnie Schwartz’s equaliser as he completed the first full 90 minutes of his Charlton career. It was quite possibly his best performance in a very good season, and playing the full game is a hugely important added caveat after constant struggles with fitness over the last 18 months.

Charlton went into half-time that night 4-2 down with their season threatening to spiral out of control. But as has been the case throughout this campaign, it was Aneke who brought them back from the brink, hounding the opposition defence, making them thoroughly uncomfortable, and giving his side renewed belief.

Eleven days later, Aneke did it again, this time with Charlton down two goals at the break to Swindon. He got one back after 57 minutes before Andrew Shinnie’s goal earned a point in the 90th minute.

It’s impossible to feel completely out of any game with Aneke on the pitch, the striker having the rare ability to make something happen out of nothing. That much was evident with his bicycle kick at Burton and his run and finish against Rochdale at The Valley. Aneke’s 10 goals this season have come from an expected goals (xG) of just 7.65 showing that he has been putting away tough chances and creating his own out of relatively little.

Etc etc

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/chuks-aneke-has-unique-abilities-its-vital-that-charlton-athletic-secure-former-arsenal-and-mk-striker-on-a-new-contract/

• Options
    edited January 2022
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

i don't think Burstow is ready personally 
    As a sub with his pace.  Chucks and stockley bullying defenders and Burstow hitting them with pace
  • Options
    Well that was done fast.

Welcome back Chuks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Three and a half year deal. Learnt from the mistake of only giving him two years previously? Massive commitment either way.
  • Options
    3.5 year deal...
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Charlton and Sandgaard in particular can't ever win with loads of keyboard worriers on here
    Yes Chuks fancied his chances at the higher level.  Brum took him on at least partly cos he was relatively cheap, they're broke don't forget.  Despite Brum's shabby season, Chuks has barely featured, even for a manager that knows him well and used him as much as he could for us.
    For my 2pworth, using up a squad place on a 28y.o. lump who's never got his fitness up to scratch, even for 3rd division football, looks like a foolishly risky strategy.  Against that we have to concede that IF you can get him on the pitch, as a sub, his impact and goalscoring record is worth having.  I never saw him put in any sort of performance when starting games, which is a major worry when our chief striker is out indefinitely.  Awkward timing when the gaffer is singing Mason Burstow's praises in the press.  Wednesday night our only attacking option on the bench was MB, all the while Leko was stinking the place up Jacko's hands were tied.  Chuks could have been the man for the moment Wednesday night, but we'd hope those situations only arose once or twice a season.
    I hope Chuks makes me eat my words by starting 20 games and hitting double figures in goals by May.  Breath not held.
    Oh yeah
    one more thing
    WIOTOS
    and there it is:
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61e163c21af91/done-deal-chuks-aneke-is-back
  • Options
    good article - i never bought into the myth that he was only any good off the bench - it was more about him not being able or willing to do more than part of a game on a regular basis so it made sense to give him the last part - i rate him and wish him all the best on his return 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    DOUCHER said:
    DOUCHER said:

He replaced Stockley twice so all the other times he played with or as they say "in and around" Stockley.

Chucks could, and was originally signed to, play the position just behind, especially when the game is stretched. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    https://wewilljourneyon.proboards.com/thread/6137/transfer-update-iii?page=2

Brummies don't seem bothered either way honestly. 
    "To be honest I rate him about as much as LEKO!!!!

Hopefully if they can be persuaded we could say £600k for the both!"

:) 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!