Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• Pretty sure deal will be structured as such that we're not paying much more than we would have been if he'd have signed improved terms last summer.   Pleased to have him back but echo eveything else thats been said 
  • Was it ever revealed what the injury issues were/are?
    Not publicly, I thought it was muscle related, but have heard it was a mental thing, I think it’s all just conjecture and speculation, Bowyer has had enough of him by the sounds of it.
    Bowyer signed him for Brum, so whatever the issues were, they clearly weren't a dealbreaker
  • 3.5 years is a statement.  A risk because of the injuries but too good for this league when he is fit.

Pleased he's back as we clearly needed some one up top and he was good last year.

Doesn't fit into the model that Thomas set out of young players we can develop and not injured though.

But he was keen to come (heard a few weeks back he was ringing up asking to come) and Jacko knows him

Lyle to Brum next?.
    That's always a positive, though wasn't Arter really keen to come as well...
  • paulfox said:
    ffs, did they only do a 20min medical because that’s all he can play?,probably worried he’d get injured!!. Well at least he’s back to his level. Can’t believe I’m going to have to watch that over rated lump again, however I’ll support him and hope for good things whilst in the Charlton shirt, begrudgingly.🤷🏻‍♂️.
    Yeah it sounds like it ….
    Absolutely I will, I don’t have to like a player because he plays for us, but I will tolerate it if he gives his all. If it pleases you I’ll just say how wonderfully pleased I am to see him back.unfortunately I’m not, but will be pleasantly surprised if he does ok. 
  • Chizz said:
    Belv said:
    £300k for a player that left for nothing only 5 months ago.

What a fantastic piece of business.
    I've been out this morning and just seen this and nothing else.

I suspect I'm going to get whoosed here but are we really paying £300k for someone who left on a free transfer 7 months ago?

Jeez, he didn't leave on a free transfer.
    He was out of contract.
    Fair enough. I just used the wrong term as I know his contract was up and he was free to go elsewhere.

But I'm never going to agree with you that it is good business to let someone walk out the door and 7 months later, buy him back for £300k (if that is the true figure).

Would you be persuaded if, for example, the total cost of his return (transfer fee plus salary) were significantly less than we would have had to pay to keep him (salary plus salary uplift, plus signing-on fee)? 
    That's a really good question. And, in honesty, yes I'd probably change my mind if that were the case. But as we will never know the figures its all a moot point.

However, even if the cost is significantly less, I could argue that the overall cost will still be significantly higher as we are stuck in this awful league for at least another season. Who knows if Aneke had been signed up last year whether we would now be sitting in one of the top 2 places instead of facing a difficult trip to Cheltenham tomorrow where defeat will leave us looking over our shoulders rather uncomfortably.
    As good as Aneke is, I can't believe his presence alone would have fired us into the top 2!
  • Belv said:

Interested to know where you came up with that. OS says 'Undisclosed'.
  • ridiculous contract - 3.5 years for a player who failed in the Championship coming to a club who have the stated aim of promotion initially to the Championship 
  • if he’s too good for this league, why isn’t he any good in the championship??, surely he’s just good and at his level in this league?. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Aneke's injuries were mainly the season before in the Championship when he barely played - last season was more a case of Bowyer managing his minutes on the pitch and not wanting to risk further injury by playing twice a week. TBF I don't think Bowyer trusted any of his squad to play twice a week hence all the chopping and changing. Maybe training was too intense last season?

Could have done with Aneke off the bench Wednesday night to replace Leko up front, not just for his goal threat but also his hold up play which is not Washington or Leko's strength.
  • Major said:
    Belv said:

Interested to know where you came up with that. OS says 'Undisclosed'.
    Sky Sports old boy 
  • Birmingham fans really baffled by this .. they believe he has been sold behind Bowyer back as they now only have one fit striker available ..
  • Birmingham fans really baffled by this .. they believe he has been sold behind Bowyer back as they now only have one fit striker available ..
    Well, they're guessing he's been sold behind Bowyers back.
  • Great signing, the crying on this board if he’d signed for someone like Ipswich or Sunderland, makes me laugh. 
  • Aneke never made it big time in the Championship unlike Lyle. He's banging them in left, right and centre..on the coach and bench. 
  • Delighted with this ! 
    Wow 300k the owner is loaded and this isn’t much and who else around. 
    Chuks second coming ! 
  • Great signing:

Sorry I lied when I said Aneke scored a goal every 100 minutes last season; it was a goal every 101 minutes.

Any combo as long as two up top of Stockley, Washington, Aneke, Burstow will be ideal. 

Can't be bothered to read the negative comments on here but Chuks was fit enough in be in the squad 36 times last season. Covid made him miss a few games and the health issue was always what might happen to him. (Not Covid related as apparently it was an issue in the Championship)

• Sponsored links:

• Love it. Welcome back, big man! 
  • 3.5 years is a statement.  A risk because of the injuries but too good for this league when he is fit.

Pleased he's back as we clearly needed some one up top and he was good last year.

Doesn't fit into the model that Thomas set out of young players we can develop and not injured though.

But he was keen to come (heard a few weeks back he was ringing up asking to come) and Jacko knows him

Lyle to Brum next?.
    They’ve just signed Onel Hernandez from Norwich, not a like for like but can play up top. 

Lyle to Brum next?.
    That's always a positive, though wasn't Arter really keen to come as well...
    Depends when you believe Gallen was telling the truth.  When it was the big reveal he had to work really hard to get Arter to come, when he was defending our late business it was because Arter was desperate to come...... 
  • Slightly underwhelming but then arguably better than expected 
  • Chunes said:
    Chizz said:
    Belv said:

I've been out this morning and just seen this and nothing else.

I suspect I'm going to get whoosed here but are we really paying £300k for someone who left on a free transfer 7 months ago?

Jeez, he didn't leave on a free transfer.
    He was out of contract.
    Fair enough. I just used the wrong term as I know his contract was up and he was free to go elsewhere.

But I'm never going to agree with you that it is good business to let someone walk out the door and 7 months later, buy him back for £300k (if that is the true figure).

Would you be persuaded if, for example, the total cost of his return (transfer fee plus salary) were significantly less than we would have had to pay to keep him (salary plus salary uplift, plus signing-on fee)? 
    That's a really good question. And, in honesty, yes I'd probably change my mind if that were the case. But as we will never know the figures its all a moot point.

However, even if the cost is significantly less, I could argue that the overall cost will still be significantly higher as we are stuck in this awful league for at least another season. Who knows if Aneke had been signed up last year whether we would now be sitting in one of the top 2 places instead of facing a difficult trip to Cheltenham tomorrow where defeat will leave us looking over our shoulders rather uncomfortably.
    As good as Aneke is, I can't believe his presence alone would have fired us into the top 2!
    No but the fact we will end up filling the Chucks sized hole (left in June) and the JFC sized hole (injured in May) with Chucks (mid January) and JFC (who knows when) tells a story. 
  • se9addick said:
    ridiculous contract - 3.5 years for a player who failed in the Championship coming to a club who have the stated aim of promotion initially to the Championship 
    I would guess the long contract term is to offset a lower weekly wage. He had 18 months left at Birmingham, but he was probably getting a higher wage, so this way he doesn’t lose guaranteed money and we don’t blow our budget.
    That is highly plausible. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!