Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• sam3110 said:
    Lyle next
    Nope
    Pigott had a bid rejected 

What was he bidding on?
    Ebay?
  • We are going to piss this league now!
  • Don’t have time to read the thread, so not sure what the overalls consensus is, but……. Welcome back Chuks!   Very pleased to see you in the shirt again.  Good luck! 
  • He was wearing overalls, wasn’t he?  
  • edited January 2022
    Swisdom said:
    Not sure why there is so much negativity. We needed someone who can score goals, we needed someone strong, we needed someone to take over from Elliot Lee and play behind Stockley or can go up top if we need to be more direct. 

chuks Will tick all of these boxes

it’s another option and it’s somebody who shouldn’t take long to settle in so it’s a win win in my book
    Read the Birmingham comments. 
    We are a league below Birmingham.  Chucks scored 16 goals for us last season and has scored goals at this level before joining us (first time).

Morgan cant hold down a place in our team and gets (justified) criticised on here.  He could do a job in league 2, doesnt mean that the league two clubs fans should judge him based on league 1 comments
    As I said we have too many players who are fragile and 3 of them are goal scorers.  Another with form for not being fit enough isn't helpful.  If our ambition is Championship and beyond and we have a 5 year plan, two of which will have slipped by in May why give a player who some say cannot hack the Championship at half of each game a 3 and a half year contract.  The goals set out fly against this signing. 
    I agree, maybe we never wanted to let Chuks go in the first place but couldn’t afford to pay him championship wages , hence the whatever transfer fee, a lot of pressure to come in, stay fit and start scoring straight away, the team could really do with a lift though at the moment as we are in a bad run.

The lack of info given about. Stockley is worrying which to me suggests he is out for a long time, still need another striker in my book , even though young Mason has equaled Rocket Ronnies goal tally.

Could do with a couple of goal scoring midfielders as well.
  • ridiculous contract - 3.5 years for a player who failed in the Championship coming to a club who have the stated aim of promotion initially to the Championship 
    Was just thinking the same. Gives us 3 years to get promoted though......😄
  • It’s a good signing, we know he will score goals and that’s crucial for us given Stockley is out.

We have very likely done a deal on the basis of longer contract in return for lower wages.

• Good signing, proven goal scorer. Nothing not to like
    Try the length of contract and his fitness to play a full game even once a week.
    Like every player we sign (be it once or twice) I always give them a fair crack of the whip. It might be different this time & you might be surprised exactly how many minutes he can now play. 
  • Leuth said:
    Croydon said:
    Leuth said:
    What are Brum fans saying ?

In the main - mixed but more glad than sad - and some of those in the latter bracket are unaware of his playing time limitations:

299k more than he’s worth

I'd say result, but we're so low on players unless we get someone else in it just weakens us.

Seems mad leaving us with Juke and Hogan for a month.

Certainly weakens us, however, I guess that with the return of Chong shortly and the additional of walker, then is that why we are going to let him go?

I don’t think we will miss him much, looks useless

I get what you're saying in that sense, but honestly, he looks so lacking - if we are being offered money, we should just take it and out him down as a poor signing.

Had a look on a Charlton forum to see what their view and after wading through a bunch of comments about how crap Leko is, it appears they quite like Chuks and think it would be a good deal. I'd be amazed if we got a fee for him considering we signed him on a free and it's not worked out at all...

Another failed Gardner/Bowyer signing

Made a profit though

I don't think I have ever seen such a big bloke so poor at using his natural advantage. He's too nice. He should be smashing the arse out of these defenders, he should be impossible to shake off the ball (even considering it takes him four touches to try and control it, fetch it, try and control it again...etc) he should be just bullying people and he doesn't. He's also a non-threat in the air for his size. Best we cut our losses I reckon.

Thanks for the memories Chucks.

Not sure we can really blame Gardner for this one considering he was one of Bowyers players before he joined us.....

Cracking bit of business tbf

Weird thing with aneke though, when he comes on he almost always gets at least 2 chances within 10 or 15 min when we haven't created a thing all game. Sadly he misses most of them. He has something though and has never been given a game to be fair.

Just me that dont think he's actually that bad then? Hard to judge a player properly that only gets the last 10/15mins of a game.

I took it to be simply what we already know - LB has been told by our glorious masters one out to get one in. Let's face it, if we are to improve then Chuks (Gawd Bless him) never looked a player to do that at all.

100% agree and gave his all when he did play. The Plymouth game on the weekend he got booked for running the full length of the pitch to tackle a player, you could see he really cared

Absolutely this. I know he's never going to top the goalscoring charts but he does offer some threat. Letting him go now when we're down to the bare bones is very poor in my opinion, unless, of course, we have a better replacement lined up and he needs to go before we can bring new striker in?

Started 1 game in the league all season according to Transfermarkt. He hasn't been given a fair go in my opinion. People above saying he misses too many chances etc but I'd argue Hogan has missed far worse (e.g. Swansea at home). He's the only striker we have with any sort of pace and now Deeney's out for a month, getting rid is crazy unless we genuinely have someone else lined up to replace him straight away.

We will probably have Leko back, don't see us spending a penny to be honest in this window,

There’s a reason he’s only getting ten mins

Honestly don’t think anyone would touch this basket case .

they're the fuckin Millwall of the West and always shall be (sorry Cardiff, keep trying)
    Famous west country club Birmingham City
    the word West is literally in their county's name, smartie
    Warwickshire? 
  • Uninspiring and better about - waste of money 

only my opinion 
  • Sponsored links:

• Another ex player resigned. Beginning to seem a bit lazy.
    Like when we got Hales and Flanagan back?
  • jdsd42 said:
    Uninspiring and better about - waste of money 

only my opinion 
    Like who?
  • edited January 2022
    jdsd42 said:

only my opinion 
    Probably all of these points apply however there is another thing to consider. How big a pull are Charlton right now and what wages are we paying. We are lower half league one and it would be interesting to hear ehay the average player thinks of a move to Charlton. Maybe any of the xirent top 10 would be preferable (to the player).

Welcome back Chuks.

It always disappointed me that he couldn't last a full game. Let's hope we more more minutes out of him this time around. 
  • 3.5 year deal, even at £4k pw, + a mooted £300K transfer fee, has cost TS £1M+.
  • jdsd42 said:

only my opinion 
    Probably all of these points apply however there is another thing to consider. How big a pull are Charlton right now and what wages are we paying. We are lower half league one and it would be interesting to hear ehay the average player thinks of a move to Charlton. Maybe any of the xirent top 10 would be preferable (to the player).

Welcome back Chuks.

It always disappointed me that he couldn't last a full game. Let's hope we more more minutes out of him this time around. 
    I've had enough of hope though.
    If this player /that player can stay fit.

• 3.5 year deal, even at £4k pw, + a mooted £300K transfer fee, has cost TS £1M+.
    I would say that Kirk has cost a whole lot more.
  • edited January 2022
    And another thing........at least Chuks has scored in 2022. So far in 3 matches only Burstow has done that. Plus Leko if you count the Pizza trophy, but that was a half hearted affair with fringe players & U23's 
  • Delighted with this. Welcome back Chuks
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m not really focused on the financials as none of us will know the details.

But from a team / squad perspective, if it’s a permanent deal then is Chuks a player that will improve our squad with an eye to delivering a promotion season next year? 

Do people think the answer to that is yes?
    So I’ve thought a bit about my question above and at this time I think it’s undoubted that he will improve our squad. Bit due to his fitness record theres a nagging question mark if he’s the right man to build a side around thats aiming for promotion. 

Overall I’m happy to have him added to the squad. one things for sure, our forthcoming opponents would much rather NOT be playing against him, that I’m sure, and that’s a positive. 

If he is in there next season with 2 strikers of equal or better quality then that is the basis of a promotion challenging front line. If he is the jewel in the crown of the strike force then it's probably less optimistic given his fitness and that we.

I think when fit he's the best goalscorer we've had since Taylor who again was the best since Kermorgant. 

Aneke has the potential to stave off any fears of relegation.  Him and Stockley together will batter defences whilst Washington runs around their tearful frames.  Davisson is no mug physically and it is nice to have a bit of muscle up front after years of Mooney and Church types.   

Burstow seems a natural goalscorer and we need to keep hold of him.  This is a very positive signing that consolidates our strikeforce and he's probably our best striker now.  Hopefully stockley will come back soon.  

But strategically if we have serious intent for promotion we will need more quality (one or two quality forwards) vying for places if we are going to push for promotion.

We've had so many recent seasons that have been ravaged by injury and unavailable players so hopefully this is just one integral piece of an impending rebuild as opposed to rearragning deckchairs.  We will see come end of August.
  • Welcome back Chuks. Never wanted him to leave, happy he has returned.  Assuming his main position again becomes super sub then I would still like another striker in.
  • Conor Washington is out of contract at the end of this season.

I look forward to him trying his luck at Birmingham and us buying him back for £300k this time next year.

We could always bring back Rocket Ronnie as  well.

Maybe we can turn Bonne's head too and have a proper old reunion.

• edited January 2022
    Brilliant. Love him. Unplayable at times last season. This has really perked me up this morning!

Next, Andrew Shinnie!
  • edited January 2022
    jdsd42 said:

only my opinion 
    Like who?
    Seen a couple at the valley this year - we should have waited - I hope he does well  - 
  • He is a good player sure. 

But does point to a poor recruitment and retention history. To lose a player for free only to have to buy him back 6 months later is pretty terrible business. 
    So if Mbappe rejects a new PSG deal and joins Real on a free, but doesn't settle and rejoins PSG the following year for 10mil, that makes the 10mil deal terrible business?
    If he leaves because psg refused to match his wage demands then six months later they not only met those wage demands but paid to sign him then yes it’s terrible business 
  • edited January 2022
    jdsd42 said:

only my opinion 
    I'd like to know who you think is better for (allegedly) £300k
    Well let’s go with uninspiring and waste of money and I am sure will be better about end of season

Leko  and now him now great scouting 
  • Another ex player resigned. Beginning to seem a bit lazy.
    Like when we got Hales and Flanagan back?
    And Powell twice 
  • Do you know what I think this is an amazing signing. Yes he’s an ex, yes we lost him for nothing and have signed back for free on a long contract, yes he is injury prone and can’t play 90 minutes but .::: he is the big but he exactly what we have been missing , a big horrible striker to go alongside Stockley who will bully defenders and score goals , I really rate it 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!