Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - speculation re 2023/24 season (p60)

Comments

• “I’m hopeful and positive for the next couple of games.”

only the next couple?, is that because he'll be injured again after that ;)

sorry couldn't resist - only kidding Chuks!
  • Not sure what more can be expected. Just on the pitch, scores a goal to settle the 2-1 nerves and give that extra goal cushion of 3-1. Happy for him.
  • Not sure what more can be expected. Just on the pitch, scores a goal to settle the 2-1 nerves and give that extra goal cushion of 3-1. Happy for him.
    Also helped to create our 4th with the flick on to CBT! Really makes you think what our points tally could've been if we'd had him available for even half the games over the last couple months
  • is it just me that refuses to now call him Chooks?
  • edited October 2022
    Ten players with the worst injury record. How does Chuks compare?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/676456207203446?s=yWDuG2&fs=e
  • Addick1956 seems to have disappeared. Quelle surpise. 
  • edited October 2022
    PeterGage said:
    Ten players with the worst injury record. How does Chuks compare?

https://www.facebook.com/reel/676456207203446?s=yWDuG2&fs=e
    Wot no Kieron Dyer?
    He has been banned since the 24th September.....

That might be why haha

I thought there had been less arguments lately, that explains a lot. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes indeed, the conversation in this thread has noticeable improved since then. 
  • I know he’s recovering, but he looked absolutely done in after that cameo and a bit of running tonight.  I can’t see him starting a game at this rate. I know he’s better coming off the bench etc, but surely the idea is to get him into a position where he could start the odd one or two.  
  • cabbles said:
    I know he’s recovering, but he looked absolutely done in after that cameo and a bit of running tonight.  I can’t see him starting a game at this rate. I know he’s better coming off the bench etc, but surely the idea is to get him into a position where he could start the odd one or two.  
    start a game?  never going to happen.

I thought there had been less arguments lately, that explains a lot. 
    Coupled with you posting less.
  • cabbles said:
    I know he’s recovering, but he looked absolutely done in after that cameo and a bit of running tonight.  I can’t see him starting a game at this rate. I know he’s better coming off the bench etc, but surely the idea is to get him into a position where he could start the odd one or two.  
    He's never going to start games but i'd have hoped after 3 sub appearances he'd be in a position now where he could at least play 30-35, especially with Stockley looking so ineffective.
  • cabbles said:
    start a game?  never going to happen.
    cabbles said:
    He's never going to start games but i'd have hoped after 3 sub appearances he'd be in a position now where he could at least play 30-35, especially with Stockley looking so ineffective.
    Fair points.  I appreciate the nature of his physique and injury record means coming off the bench is probably the only route, but I would’ve thought it was also a case of working him back to a level where he could start.  

The worrying thing for me is that after that cameo against Exeter when the reaction was a bit ott imo, based on that short stint of running around last night, he looked done in.  I’m not sure how that’s going to equate to a cheat code over the course of the season.  The way he had his hands on hips it looked like he’d injured himself again.  

Hopefully with more 15-20 subs appearances and regular training, he may look fitter.  He’s never going to be match fit, so I don’t know what the equivalent looks like for someone coming off the bench for 20 mins 

Is it worth pursuing what Spurs did with Ledley King and just have him not train 
  • edited October 2022
    I remember Bowyer saying he has poor natural fitness and it takes time for him to build up his stamina. Don't think he'd done much training before he was back in the squad so he's probably nowhere near match fit yet.
  • edited October 2022
    Chunes said:
    I remember Bowyer saying he has poor natural fitness and it takes time for him to build up his stamina. Don't think he'd done much training before he was back in the squad so he's probably nowhere near match fit yet.
    I genuinely don't know how a guy who is nearly 30 and has been playing professional football for 10+ years can have poor natural fitness. 
    The injuries don't allow him to get fit (if that makes sense?) Every time he approaches some sort of maximum, he breaks down....so that means he doesn't try to get to maximum, which means he can't get lung-busting fit. So, he can only play cameos, which are never going to get him fit either. Also, when he does get injured, it tends to be an injury that keeps him out for long periods and any stamina he has built up (which will be negligible) goes immediately. It's a continuous downward spiral. 

The one thing that he doesn't seem to lose, is his ability. For someone who plays so little, he nearly always looks like he can still play to a very decent level, compared with most of the dross he is surrounded with.
  • edited October 2022
    Chunes said:
    I genuinely don't know how a guy who is nearly 30 and has been playing professional football for 10+ years can have poor natural fitness. 
    What do you understand natural fitness to be? Don't think it's something acquired over the years.

Some people are born with more efficient cardiovascular systems than others. It's why Josh Cullen can come back from a three month injury and be ready to play ninety minutes just a few days later and some other people take weeks to get back to full fitness. From what LB said, Chuks is towards the bottom of that pile and every time he spends time out, he needs to build his fitness back up again from zero. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Can’t we just diagnose him with asthma and get some helpful TUEs for his fitness? 

It’s what all the big boys do.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    What do you understand natural fitness to be? Don't think it's something acquired over the years.

Some people are born with more efficient cardiovascular systems than others. It's why Josh Cullen can come back from a three month injury and be ready to play ninety minutes just a few days later and some other people take weeks to get back to full fitness. From what LB said, Chuks is towards the bottom of that pile and every time he spends time out, he needs to build his fitness back up again from zero. 
    Not blowing out of your arse after 15 minutes basically jogging about.
  • edited October 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Not blowing out of your arse after 15 minutes basically jogging about.
    Thanks for that. 

Obviously you are just blowing off steam at Aneke and so I'll happily leave it here.
  • Some more minutes in the cup games to get him ready for a start at Burton? Or just keep him to the super sub appearances as anything more is too risky? Tough dilemma as he is a level above Stockley and today looked back to his best, Ipswich CB couldn’t handle him 
  • NabySarr said:
    Some more minutes in the cup games to get him ready for a start at Burton? Or just keep him to the super sub appearances as anything more is too risky? Tough dilemma as he is a level above Stockley and today looked back to his best, Ipswich CB couldn’t handle him 
    I think super sub, with the odd start, but coming off 60/70 minutes in is probably where we are with Chuks.

He has not had a season where he has been able to constantly start or do lots of minutes since 18/19. Losing him to another injury is just to much of a risk. 

That being said Inniss so far (touch wood) is defying expectations so maybe Chuks may get into a similar position. 
  • Opposition players just bounce off him - he is incredibly strong on the ball. Very poor level of fitness.
  • NabySarr said:
    Opposition players just bounce off him - he is incredibly strong on the ball. Very poor level of fitness.
    It’s amazing how he can control the ball with a centre back on his back like it’s nothing. Compared to Stockley who can’t control a long ball even if there is no defender on him. Makes so much difference 
    Such a pity he can't last more than 20 minutes...
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!