Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Homophobic abuse at today's game (ed - Not Charlton fans)

Comments

• Options
    ROTW said:
    UPDATE

Confirmed to Mick Everett, the Charlton Head of Match Day Operations by Cheltenham police that the three arrested for homophobic abuse were Cheltenham fans not Charlton fans.

There were 3 ejections of Charlton fans , 2 for alcohol related and 1 for failing to comply.

Perhaps some should have waited for this information before automatically discrediting our support.
    Perhaps people should understand they were automatically discrediting homophobia & appalled that it may have been our own.
    Relief that it wasn’t but still disgusted it happened.
    That would have been a better initial judgement to have reached rather than assuming it was our supporters
  • Options
    UPDATE

Confirmed to Mick Everett, the Charlton Head of Match Day Operations by Cheltenham police that the three arrested for homophobic abuse were Cheltenham fans not Charlton fans.

There were 3 ejections of Charlton fans , 2 for alcohol related and 1 for failing to comply.

That is really good news. 
    No, it's really not.

How is homophobic abuse good news?
    Obviously you have misinterpreted my comment which is my fault for not making it clear. It’s good news that those that were responsible for the homophobic abuse were not Charlton fans. It’s bad enough that it happened at all but hearing initially it was from Charlton supporters was particularly disappointing.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    ROTW said:
    UPDATE

Perhaps some should have waited for this information before automatically discrediting our support.
    Perhaps people should understand they were automatically discrediting homophobia & appalled that it may have been our own.
    That would have been a better initial judgement to have reached rather than assuming it was our supporters
    I didn’t assume anything.
    I read the same tweet others had.
    It was wrong.
    Why some are finding that worse than the actual homophobic abuse speaks volumes imho.
  • Options
    UPDATE

No, it's really not.

Obviously you have misinterpreted my comment which is my fault for not making it clear. It’s good news that those that were responsible for the homophobic abuse were not Charlton fans. It’s bad enough that it happened at all but hearing initially it was from Charlton supporters was particularly disappointing.
    I agree
  • Options
    UPDATE

The ‘failing to comply’ was (as far as I could make out) was refusing to leave the yellow hatched area at the front of the away stand - I mean, what a stupid reason to get thrown out - surely you just move !!!
  • Options
    edited January 2022
  • Options
    UPDATE

The ‘failing to comply’ was (as far as I could make out) was refusing to leave the yellow hatched area at the front of the away stand - I mean, what a stupid reason to get thrown out - surely you just move !!!
    Perhaps not when you’ve had 8 pints of Stella.
  • Options
    ROTW said:
    UPDATE

yeah but I think we have established that our fanbase is made up of drunken food critics and people who don't comply with the status quo
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    ROTW said:
    UPDATE

It was wrong.
    Why some are finding that worse than the actual homophobic abuse speaks volumes imho.
    You assumed it was one of ours i presume based on the twitter response from a Cheltenham fan to the initail statement which made no reference to what clubs supporters it was.

The abuse is the big issue here, it was made  our specific club issue based on incorrect info
  • Options
    UPDATE

No, it's really not.

Where did you hear it was our supporters?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    UPDATE

Perhaps not when you’ve had 8 pints of Stella.
    He was certainly very pissed !!!
  • Options
    Not a great experience yesterday apart from the pub in Charlton Kings before the game. We had a drunken prat next to us who kept up a tirade of loud, foul-mouthed abuse throughout the game in front of some puzzled-looking young children playing by the corner flag. I don't think there was anything homophobic, but he was tediously persistent and unfunny - even when he picked on the bloke taking selfies. Mate - go to the game on the train, have a good day out in the pubs but don't bother going to the game, you'll feel better for it! We do get the real prats turning out for new and relatively near grounds like Oxford, Gillingham, Wycombe and as far as Lincoln and Cheltenham. A cold Tuesday night in Wigan is a much nicer experience. I think I'll give Cambridge, Portsmouth and Ipswich a miss.

On the other point made in this thread, our drummer boys seem to lead most of the chanting and singing - it tends to go quiet when they take a rest! Maybe they could take a lead in reducing obnoxious chants and stick to the ones that support our players and team. Obviously, they should keep a few anti-Spanners and Palace chants.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Did the bottle thrower hit his target? If so maybe we should stick him up front.

*Joke*.
    Nah, think he missed him (thankfully)

https://twitter.com/ctfcofficial/status/1482669207061995523?s=21
    We'll probably sign him up anyway
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    UPDATE

No, it's really not.

Jesus Christ…
    Well, I don’t think Henners has ever turned water into wine 🤔

Wine into water maybe.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    JaShea99 said:
    UPDATE

No, it's really not.

Jesus Christ…

Wine into water maybe.
    Thanks Colin 😊
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    JohnnyH2 said:
    ROTW said:
    UPDATE

It was wrong.
    I think people are justified in being annoyed/upset that either they, their friends or fellow fans were assumed - falsely - to have been homophobic before anything official was announced.

All because some Cheltenham fan tweeted it.

The biggest clue was Cheltenham issuing a statement, that made it quite clear to me from the beginning that it was Cheltenham fans otherwise the club would have been doing a statement of their own.
  • Options
    I thought our numbers yesterday were impressive. 
    0.2% were dealt with by the authorities which speaks well to the general conduct, and I am pleased the nasty homophobia has not been laid at the door of Charlton fans.
    A reminder to me that staying off whatweetbook is a good call.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    se9addick said:
    Did the bottle thrower hit his target? If so maybe we should stick him up front.

*Joke*.
    Nah, think he missed him (thankfully)

https://twitter.com/ctfcofficial/status/1482669207061995523?s=21
    From my view in the stand it hit him straight in the chest 
    The angle on the Quest highlights shows the bottle hitting his chest

They didn't mention this or anything else about our game BUT did mention homophobic chanting in the Wycombe vs Oxford game from Wycombe fan(s)
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    I won’t go to as many away games as I used to  because of the morons that follow us . They are mainly young but not always . I’ve sat with my son a couple of times only to have to put up with them openly taking coke and being abusive whenever they get the chance . I know it’s sad but thank god for Charlton TV . 
    They are mainly young mate i agree. But a couple of years ago at Reading, i had a guy and his teenage daughter stand up to watch the game when they could adequately see it siting down. Despite others and myself politely requesting them to sit down they refused. I had to watch the game on the concourse otherwise it would have been a waste of time.

The usual no brainers here ridiculed it when i spoke about it afterwards, that is the level of support that we carry.
    You can't seriously be comparing what's being discussed on this thread to people standing at an away match?
     I am talking about some of the moronic idiots that follow our football club who don't give a toss about their actions on others, so yes.

Cant believe people would stick up for this sort of behaviour.
    Standing up at football is not the same as hate speech. Defending those standing at football is not the same as defending hate speech
    I never said it was i was replying to beds about the moronic supporters who went to away games.

Yay yay yah.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    UPDATE

No, it's really not.

Jesus Christ…
    I don't think Jesus ran a museum either, and I'm sure he also got more promotes
    He told the parable of the comfy button up jumper though. 
    The house of my father has many rooms and there is a cardigan in each one.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    UPDATE

No, it's really not.

Jesus Christ…
    I don't think Jesus ran a museum either, and I'm sure he also got more promotes

I'm not saying Henry and Jesus are related but At Bromley Addicks back in the day, I saw Henry feed 75 people with one fish and 20 chips.
    sounds like he used to do the catering at the Valley an all 
  • Options
    Amazing how so quick people were to jump on the lynching - but it wasn’t Charlton fans - running on the pitch no issue - guilty of doing it myself once upon a time 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    lonman said:
    I was at the game yesterday and fwiw didn't hear any homophobic abuse. I think football attracts people from all different walks of life and that's one of the elements I enjoy. I get we have some idiots but no more than any other team. I've been to all the home games and 80% of away games this year and to be honest have yet to hear any racist or homophobic chants/abuse from any fans. Chanting creates the atmosphere, the Addams family chant is not to my taste being honest but I think Banning it because it's distasteful is probably OTT.  
    So you condone accusations to the other fans in the form of a vile chant as acceptable to the other fans in the ground,  families with young children . Do me a favour. These are vile chants about a base and immoral activity and the words are those of the gutter. So banning that is over the top !  I am glad I don't  have that moral compass. 
    I haven't heard other teams fans chant this, not even at Millwall. 
    Unless people  stand up to this, homophobic abuse and racist chants it won't go away !
    Firstly do you really believe that the Charlton Fans singing this chant believe there are incestual relationships going on in the fanbase they're singing it at ? I don't sing it but I'm very sure it's tongue in cheek.

I also believe it's reaching to suggest that the Fans singing this chant are all homophobic racists. As previously stated I've been to most games this season and have not heard ANY racist or homophobic chants of any description, yet this Stupid Addams Family ditty rings out at most home games. I don't believe the two are connected and the evidence thus far appears to back me up.

At no point have I supported it being sung so not sure where you're getting the idea that "I condone" it. I'm guessing it's because I don't believe in banning something I don't like you've drawn the incorrect conclusion I condone it.

With regard to a moral compass leave it for the playground you're almost 70 years old Man(going on your username). Your opinion of me is so irrelevant, you're a rando on a Charlton Forum. 

Regarding fans in the ground with kids. I think you'll find language used on the school playground is far more industrial than the chants sung at The Valley. 
  • Options
    We shouldn't forget the larger numbers who think that Addams Family song is clever or acceptable. Singing about incest at a football match is a step closer to it than the fans it's sung to.
  • Options
    Far to much is given the tag of “oh it’s just banter” than is acceptable to anyone with half a brain. I find some of the chants absolutely moronic let alone the people chanting them. As for encroachment on to the pitch and throwing bottles at players and wasn’t there an issue recently of a bottle being throw in the north stand ? Ban the morons. We don’t want them.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is defending the abuse, it's wrong no matter which end of the ground it came from. Plenty of people on here looking to condemn our younger following as soon as the story was released though! Yes, we have some youngsters who act up and occasionally overstep the line, but we're hardly alone in that as a club. I imagine 90% on this board will have behaved obnoxiously at games when they were younger, but we all grow up and your lives change. What's wrong with a good natured pitch invasion too after a last minute equaliser? You see it all the time on the Quest highlights! Lobbing a bottle at a player is pretty stupid though and the culprit should be punished if caught.