Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football arrests 'highest in years' & disorder on the rise - police

Comments

• I was only thinking the other day that football today resembled the 80's....
  • Pitch invasions and plastic bottles being thrown on the pitch (and indeed at players) seem to be endemic at the moment.

Far more frequent than before lockdown, when Naby got his brilliant last  minute equaliser at QPR I don't remember a pitch invasion, whereas we get one now for an equaliser at Cheltenham
    my last game that i went ballistic. The thought of running on the pitch was far from my mind. I just spent the 30 seconds after the goal hugging whoever i could find. ahh, pre covid days. 
    Behaviour after the awful Hillsborough disaster improved dramatically and pitch invasions stopped. Young fans today don't remember what happened and why barriers to prevent pitch invasions were removed.

Just watching the match at Forest, flares in the stand and thrown onto the pitch after they scored. Players went to the fans and fans came out of the stand. It needs to be cracked down on and the players must play their part.
    Behaviour after the awful Hillsborough disaster improved dramatically and pitch invasions stopped. Young fans today don't remember what happened and why barriers to prevent pitch invasions were removed.

Just watching the match at Forest, flares in the stand and thrown onto the pitch after they scored. Players went to the fans and fans came out of the stand. It needs to be cracked down on and the players must play their part.
    Train stations were as eventful as the football.
  • I started going to football with my dad in the 1980s when to be honest it could be terrifying for a kid, it was probably only because I was so obsessed with football I kept wanting to go.

I remember Hillsborough very clearly and I was only 8 or 9 at the time and whilst I remember fences at football I don't recall ever being in a situation where I was remotely scared of being crushed but a big part of that was our crowds being so small at selhurst. Remember people climbing them though and I recall fences being up still at places like Gillingham and Southend way after lots of other grounds had got rid of them 

Fences going was welcome to me because I could see the game better

Behaviour seems to have gotten worse not because society has gone to shit but because there is much less fear of getting thumped by a copper or group of them for looking like a bit of a geezer and booted out forcibly. 

Also the grounds we are playing at aren't necessarily used to handling large away crowds 

Dickheads will always be dickheads. That behaviour is amplified if they can't handle their booze or gear but make no mistake a dickhead won't need ten cans of red stripe to behave like a muppet
  • Grass route behaviours gone down hill as well. Santa Jr's U11 league have had parents fighting on the touchline and adults have been vocally urging their kids to snap the opposition's legs too. 
  • Grass route behaviours gone down hill as well. Santa Jr's U11 league have had parents fighting on the touchline and adults have been vocally urging their kids to snap the opposition's legs too. 
    I played against Thamesmead when I was in u14s and their fans were banned after one had stabbed another apparently.

That was mid 90s in the halcyon days of New Labour and Britpop. 

Weren't millwall throwing spanners and grenades on the pitch back in the day. Now it is empty plastic bottles and flares makin their way onto pitches.

I remember Carragher getting pelted by coins 20 years ago and lobbing them back into the crowd.  Cantona kicking that turnip at palace. I remember punch ups with away fans in the stands in our premier league days.

I don't think there ever was a glory era of well behaved fans at mass attended events.  Think There's an argument that these events are more visceral in football stadia nowadays because they stand out by comparison of what in the main is pretty tame behaviour in general at grounds up and down the country compared to only a couple of decades ago. 
    I largely agree with you, things have massively progressed and are far better than they were. 

I suppose I would say it is a case of a dozen steps forward, one step back... Things are a bit more rough round the edges when I've been at Charlton or out in general since restrictions have lifted. 
  • Some dick through a plastic bottle again today, from the mid west side of the Lower Covered End today. It just missed Mason Burstow. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 2 Villa players got coined after their winning goal at Everton this lunchtime 
  • Some dick through a plastic bottle again today, from the mid west side of the Lower Covered End today. It just missed Mason Burstow. 
    And a coke can at the Fleetwood players.
    At least the bottle thrower was spoken to by those around him.
  • Sage said:
    Clearly it's wrong for fans to be throwing things at the opposition's players but it's wrong also for players to be goading opposition fans. It's disrespectful to the paying public.

The fans throwing objects at the players should be punished but so too should the players.

I would start with a 3 match ban for Cash of Aston Villa. Buendia had no reason to run and celebrate in that corner but Cash actually put his fist up at the Everton fans which is unnecessary and irresponsible. Any players making signs or shouting at opposition fans should always get a ban regardless of whether or not anything is subsequently thrown.

The fans are rightly asked to behave themselves but the players need to do so themselves too. This generation of footballers are bloody stupid. You wouldn't go up to people in the street and make gestures at them in order to wind them up without expecting any reaction, so why do so to the very people you are performing in front of, in their stadium. If nothing is done to stop the players and their aggravating behaviour then there will eventually be a very serious incident.
    You really blaming the players here? They’re human beings too. So it’s okay for the opposition fans to abuse them in any way but the moment a player gives it back it’s wrong because the fans are paying? That’s mental.

Football fans have become worse recently and it’s become increasingly obvious up and down the country. For once, I would hope that as we should be moving forward in society for the better, football fans can begin to take some responsibility without putting the blame on someone or something else. Or in this case, because a player celebrated in front of me after I called him all the names under the sun.

If we start pointing the blame at footballers, we are totally missing the point and the issue at hand. 
    Were the Everton fans abusing the Villa players?

If you are assuming this then I think that you are missing the point.

If you re-read my post then I am asking for equal responsibility, not one or the other. Why does everything have to be so black and white nowadays?
  • Sage said:
    Clearly it's wrong for fans to be throwing things at the opposition's players but it's wrong also for players to be goading opposition fans. It's disrespectful to the paying public.

The fans throwing objects at the players should be punished but so too should the players.

I would start with a 3 match ban for Cash of Aston Villa. Buendia had no reason to run and celebrate in that corner but Cash actually put his fist up at the Everton fans which is unnecessary and irresponsible. Any players making signs or shouting at opposition fans should always get a ban regardless of whether or not anything is subsequently thrown.

The fans are rightly asked to behave themselves but the players need to do so themselves too. This generation of footballers are bloody stupid. You wouldn't go up to people in the street and make gestures at them in order to wind them up without expecting any reaction, so why do so to the very people you are performing in front of, in their stadium. If nothing is done to stop the players and their aggravating behaviour then there will eventually be a very serious incident.
    You really blaming the players here? They’re human beings too. So it’s okay for the opposition fans to abuse them in any way but the moment a player gives it back it’s wrong because the fans are paying? That’s mental.

Football fans have become worse recently and it’s become increasingly obvious up and down the country. For once, I would hope that as we should be moving forward in society for the better, football fans can begin to take some responsibility without putting the blame on someone or something else. Or in this case, because a player celebrated in front of me after I called him all the names under the sun.

If we start pointing the blame at footballers, we are totally missing the point and the issue at hand. 

If you re-read my post then I am asking for equal responsibility, not one or the other. Why does everything have to be so black and white nowadays?
    But you’re switching blame quickly to the players when they’re the people who are the victims in this specific situation. The whole post said about them being disrespectful, stupid, irresponsible etc.

No one has the right to abuse another human being, and being in a football stadia is no different. When do you see footballers giving abuse to fans or throwing dangerous objects at them? You only see players celebrating in front of fans and why shouldn’t they? If they’ve been abused beforehand, why can’t they celebrate a goal in front of them? It might not help the situation and increase the likelihood of abuse or harm, but they’re within the parameters of the pitch and are entitled to celebrate a goal wherever they wish. They’ll always be a distance away from fans and with a barrier between.

To call them bloody stupid and should also be punished is like saying they deserve to be abused physically or verbally, just because we are paying to attend a match that they are the professional sportsmen that are providing us with the opportunity to attend such occasion.
  • Sage said:

One set of players are celebrating in front of another set of fans. 

Several fans attempt to assault those players with objects. 

You do realise one is worse than the other yes? Throwing up the middle finger at the players would be fine, throwing objects is not and I hope they're banned for life. 
  • I agree there is a fine line at times with celebrating, some go a little too far but the vast, vast majority there is no problem at all.

As you said, if this was in a street, you would have someone abusing another person, who turns around and does one thing back, and then gets further abuse physically for example, who is to blame? Most certainly not the one who was abused.

Excessive goading resulting in a lack of control of crowd or making it harder to control the crowd should result in a fine for their club, not match ban. And for the crowd, any object thrown or excessive abuse should result in a life ban for that so called fan. That’s not welcome in football.
  • Sounds like football supporters are very nice and happy people
  • Take away segregation, Intelligence led Policing etc and i think it would be worse than the 70s.
    I've been surprised how many teams now bring quite a large 'risk group' with them to the Valley.
  • Sponsored links:

And a coke can at the Fleetwood players.
    At least the bottle thrower was spoken to by those around him.
    Facebook posts suggest it was a group of kids who no one had seen before and new little about Charlton.
  • I think this increase is due to the fact Police are not being so reactive to situations and are happy to record all incidents to then go on to review at a later date. With social media as it is today, the job of a policeman trying to make an arrest is made easier.
    I think there are instances within modern football whereby if the police took active measures in the first instance, then some of these arrests may not have been needed.
  • ROTW said:
    I think this increase is due to the fact Police are not being so reactive to situations and are happy to record all incidents to then go on to review at a later date. With social media as it is today, the job of a policeman trying to make an arrest is made easier.
    I think there are instances within modern football whereby if the police took active measures in the first instance, then some of these arrests may not have been needed.
    Not like the old days, when you could wrap a fire door round someone head up Blackpool and get away with it, is it 

😉😄
  • Sometimes mate you just have to let things go, and I am not referring to the door :smiley:
  • edited January 2022
    I’ve always rejected it before however the lower north is becoming more unpleasant each game. Lots of abuse directed at all and any visiting players - and with real venom, things being thrown on the pitch during several games and arguments, with the increasingly clueless stewards.

There is no doubt in my mind that the worst offenders are people I’ve never or rarely seen before and I’m sure various free / discounted ticket games haven’t helped. Worst bit yesterday was a group of kids (9-11) who kept going up to the barrier in second half to do some swearing of their own like their bigger brothers / parents.

Seriously considering the East or West next year  
  • ROTW said:
    Sometimes mate you just have to let things go, and I am not referring to the door :smiley:
    😆
  • Sage said:
    Sage said:

But you’re switching blame quickly to the players when they’re the people who are the victims in this specific situation. The whole post said about them being disrespectful, stupid, irresponsible etc.

No one has the right to abuse another human being, and being in a football stadia is no different. When do you see footballers giving abuse to fans or throwing dangerous objects at them? You only see players celebrating in front of fans and why shouldn’t they? If they’ve been abused beforehand, why can’t they celebrate a goal in front of them? It might not help the situation and increase the likelihood of abuse or harm, but they’re within the parameters of the pitch and are entitled to celebrate a goal wherever they wish. They’ll always be a distance away from fans and with a barrier between.

To call them bloody stupid and should also be punished is like saying they deserve to be abused physically or verbally, just because we are paying to attend a match that they are the professional sportsmen that are providing us with the opportunity to attend such occasion.
    Personally i quite enjoy it when players celebrate in front of the fans, especially if those fans have been giving the player(s) dogs abuse. The Adebayor celebration when he ran the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Arsenal fans is still my all time favourite.

In certain games though the players need to have some kind of awareness. For example if you score for Man United and go and celebrate right in front of the Kop or the home end at Leeds, you can probably expect (not saying it's right though) to have stuff thrown at you.
  • edited January 2022
    Going to a match today is nothing like 70's & 80's ! I was put off Away matches largely after 1987 Play Off at Elland Rd, being attacked by Leeds Fans who fought a running battle outside during the match with police, Bristol City FA match exiting to a volley of bricks and Chelsea Headhunters steaming down the terrace at The Battle of the Bridge in Away End & numerous other incidents at Away Matches. I also have vivid memories of trouble at the Valley, even Millwall turning up to cause trouble when they weren't even playing.... remember the Tottenham match in the 70's !

I maybe missing something but today's match day experience, certainly sat seated in the East Stand & taking train from London Bridge to Charlton is virtually hassle free in comparison. I get that there have been these current incidents but these are a shadow of 80's hooliganism & the awful tragedy at Heysel and Hillsborough. Why these are re-emerging that most likely is a wider social issue. 
  • edited January 2022
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

Personally i quite enjoy it when players celebrate in front of the fans, especially if those fans have been giving the player(s) dogs abuse. The Adebayor celebration when he ran the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Arsenal fans is still my all time favourite.

In certain games though the players need to have some kind of awareness. For example if you score for Man United and go and celebrate right in front of the Kop or the home end at Leeds, you can probably expect (not saying it's right though) to have stuff thrown at you.
    I can see what you're saying and I know you have said you know it's not right, but that is still the problem. No matter the match or rivalry, no player should ever expect or fear that if they score and celebrate in front of opposition fans, they will get physically assaulted. That is the issue and what is wrong with it all. Just because it is at football does not make it acceptable or socially acceptable or to be expected because 'it's football'. That is the point I am making. Players can sometimes make it a little worse, but no act of violence should be expected or anything. The whole mentality of it is wrong and is where paying fans think they're so entitled when ultimately, we aren't. Entitled to our opinion, 100%. Never entitled to abuse someone doing their job that we so happen to pay to watch.