Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football arrests 'highest in years' & disorder on the rise - police

Comments

• I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s Russian/Chinese disinformation people posing as football fans on Twitter and trying to toxify the communities. This combined by complete disregard for basic rules at the top of government means people wonder why the rules apply to them too. 
    That's  a long stretch.

British people Humans, some of them anyway, have been more than capable of acting  like dickheads after a few drinks for centuries. 

We don't need any outside help.

• I'm starting to really fed up with these arseholes, as what it will achieve is draconian measures cracking down on all football fans. 

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/violent-leicester-city-fans-smash-6611837

This incident was at 12:15pm so you can't even "excuse" the result or a long day's drinking or snorting
  • The footage of Leicester fans in Nottingham city centre pre match is horrendous - utter twats
    Under 5's
  • edited February 2022
    I'm wearing a stab proof vest from now on.  I'll travel by coach for the aways and so to avoid the train stations.
  • Carter said:
    I decided after getting arrested at Tottenham at Christmas time 20 odd years ago, fighting at football wasn't for me. I was not innocent but I was definitely the less guilty party, the police knew it and played quite an effective game with me, driving me round London, keeping me in handcuffs in the back of a van that stank like a French campsite toilet for hours before letting me go with no charge. Then the fun and games of me trying to get home after they kindly released me. 

To run onto the pitch and try to hit players is fucking pathetic, as is shouting racial abuse in the terraces, fighting between fans is something I used to get a bit excited about,  like a lot of young blokes until my lesson learned that out of me. I can look after myself fine, I'm not out to prove myself or start pavement dancing with anyone but when that happens it fucks it up for everyone. Every time we play Millwall its a performance now, I reckon even their fans with IQs higher than their shoe size must be sick of the aggro it is to go to the sexier away games like Hillsborough or Elland Road. Every time I see a queue to get in a ground because people are actually being properly searched because a firework or flare got lobbed on a pitch my eyes roll and I think of ways to send whoever was responsible into the next life. No lids on bottles of drink, not allowed a beer in the stand because we can't be trusted. 

And truly football fans are the last group the police can get away with manhandling, generally mucking about and when things are really fun, they get to let off a bit of steam by hitting them. No arguments about how football is policed from a genuine fans perspective will be taken seriously for years again now
    Ditto when away fans are kept back after games. I bet they'll do that at Plough Lane, after what happened on Saturday

Or when away fans are all herded out together in the same direction to the station, even if you're going the other way
  • This is what happens after hooligan culture is glorified and celebrated for the previous two decades. 

Couple of years ago flares were being celebrated in the UK with images around europe at big games such as Dortmund or Eastern Europe. Now you find them going off when you get an equaliser against Accrington away because it's cool to a certain demographic. 

Young men stuck in the 'us vs them' mentality trying to fit in and look cool within the 'football lad' community. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I don’t think it’s more common now it’s just everything is videod so footage is more accessible. 
    How does that explain arrests at football matches being on the rise? 
  • Premier League and EFL clubs asked to share ways to reduce fan disorder

• We as Charlton fans cannot be to holier than though over this sort of thing. Are younger supporters regularly try to cause trouble away at Gillingham and Millwall, 
    I remember the difficult journey fans had coming back from a West Brom a few years back when our fans kettled at the station. I understand this was because of trouble from some of our fans before the game. Or going back even further coming home from a Saturday game against South End and the train I was on was badly delayed because  some of our youngsters trashed a carriage on the train and terrified other passengers.
    unfortunately football violence been on the up for the last decade and may be a bit more, covid cannot be an excuse.
  • edited February 2022
    The footage of Leicester fans in Nottingham city centre pre match is horrendous - utter twats
    Not even attacking a Forest fan pub, it’s a family restaurant.

Never understood why those intent on covering up their inadequacies by getting involved in this stuff don't go to a deserted field or the woods and crack on out of sight of the police and the rest of society.

Must be terrifying for non- football fans and kids etc doing their shopping and seeing a bunch of pissed up/ coked up supposed adults acting like this.

People managed to put on raves with thousands of attendees in the 80s and 90s without detection.  Can't be that hard for 50 to 100 herberts to meet up in a field and crack on undisturbed like they do in russia and poland surely if that's what they want.

The irony is that many of them were probably outraged when the London riots happened or when the rude boy teenagers are stabbing each other over turf wars failing to see the irony that doing it over a game of football is just as ridiculous.

Proper oddball behaviour in this day and age.

What did you do with your life Dad?  I put in Nando's windows in front of a bunch of shoppers the name of XX FC. 
    Think you will find that most raves were detected, the problem being the numbers the OB were up against.
  • colthe3rd said:
    I don’t think it’s more common now it’s just everything is videod so footage is more accessible. 
    More videos - more doors going in for football related offences 
  • msomerton said:
    We as Charlton fans cannot be to holier than though over this sort of thing. Are younger supporters regularly try to cause trouble away at Gillingham and Millwall, 
    I remember the difficult journey fans had coming back from a West Brom a few years back when our fans kettled at the station. I understand this was because of trouble from some of our fans before the game. Or going back even further coming home from a Saturday game against South End and the train I was on was badly delayed because  some of our youngsters trashed a carriage on the train and terrified other passengers.
    unfortunately football violence been on the up for the last decade and may be a bit more, covid cannot be an excuse.
    Most of what you say is probably true. 
    Apart from West Brom away

The old Bill that day were absolutely cuuuuuuuuuunts 
  • colthe3rd said:
    I don’t think it’s more common now it’s just everything is videod so footage is more accessible. 
    More videos - more doors going in for football related offences 
    I'm assuming that the reported figures specifically mean on a matchday rather than retrospective arrests.

Either way though the report is showing the highest number of arrests over the past 6 years and also increases in disorder versus the 19-20 season. All of which would have had people filming on their phones so I don't think this is a case of more things are filmed nowadays.
  • Long piece in The Athletic on this:

https://theathletic.com/3120032/2022/02/11/rise-football-crowd-trouble/

Includes some pushback on the Chief Constable who's head of Football-related stuff from others involved and a lot of interviews with people at Stoke City. 

• Sponsored links:

• rananegra said:
    Long piece in The Athletic on this:

https://theathletic.com/3120032/2022/02/11/rise-football-crowd-trouble/

Includes some pushback on the Chief Constable who's head of Football-related stuff from others involved and a lot of interviews with people at Stoke City. 

Behind a payroll so pointless posting
  • Always new content on here, pretty  crazy how brazen a lot of it is.

https://instagram.com/casualchaps?utm_medium=copy_link
  • Do think there is certainly less fear of being caught now, equally bad behaviour is evident at most things now - protests usually turn ugly 

its not a football problem its a society problem. seeing stewards attacked isn't on - they are minimum wage staff that dont need it. 

not that I'm a complete innocent and have been involved in a bit of trouble at football but i will say it is usually likeminded people. 

i draw the line at throwing tables through family pubs and young ones " claiming a result "
  • With all the current headlines, you can bet your bottom dollar that the police will have set-up a special programme aimed at some high profile morning raids which result in a few £50 fines about six months later.
  • edited February 2022
    Do think there is certainly less fear of being caught now, equally bad behaviour is evident at most things now - protests usually turn ugly 

its not a football problem its a society problem. seeing stewards attacked isn't on - they are minimum wage staff that dont need it. 

not that I'm a complete innocent and have been involved in a bit of trouble at football but i will say it is usually likeminded people. 

i draw the line at throwing tables through family pubs and young ones " claiming a result "
    Would argue about minimum wage stewards comments. Probably a small percentage are nightclubs bouncers who like to throw their weight around on a Saturday daytime for a couple of extra quid.
    One of the security at Shrewsbury/Wycombe this season was desperate for it to go off. Had the bloke right in front of me and it was itching to get involved. 

• Do think there is certainly less fear of being caught now, equally bad behaviour is evident at most things now - protests usually turn ugly 

Would argue about minimum wage stewards comments. Probably a small percentage are nightclubs bouncers who like to throw their weight around on a Saturday daytime for a couple of extra quid.
    One of the security at Shrewsbury/Wycombe this season was desperate for it to go off. Had the bloke right in front of me and it was itching to get involved. 

Yep - Shrewsbury, one of their stewards was well up for it

agree you usually have the knuckle head supervisor but majority are minimum wage staff. some of the stuff ive seen recently is just bullying - majorty turn up at big tournaments chant club stuff which we all know isnt the done thing following england away - but i am noticing more and more of it. 

remember some proper divvys in prague with there 2 bob blackburn flag climbing all over a pub at 1pm knowing f all would be done as surrounded by england that would back them up if anything was to go off. 

• The police also love it as well. Remember hearing a story about a football policing unit  who were joking on the Monday in the office about the big derby game that weekend. One of the guys was laughing and joking how he used his baton like a lightsaber, and joking as to who managed to hit more fans than their mates. Don’t get me wrong at this game it kicked off big time, and everyone who got a whack probably deserved it, but don’t think the police hate it went it goes off.
  • This is not just a football problem. It's a societal problem. In the documentary 'David Baddiel: Social Media, Anger, and Us' Baddiel discusses why society in general is becoming more violent.

My favourite part is at 11:40: 'What's clear is the way the online world works is having a much deeper effect than any of us ever predicted - well, almost any of us'
    It's well worth watching the whole documentary.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x86jsxp