Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football arrests 'highest in years' & disorder on the rise - police

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    I used to think that players had a responsibility to not rise to the abuse they get from fans but I've changed my mind in recent years. Football fans have got much, much worse. It used to be that you'd boo a player who left under bad circumstances; we'd boo Scott Parker or Jermain Defoe, we wouldn't bother booing Luke Young or Jerome Thomas if we saw them again. Now though, any player leaves, whether it's because they wanted the move or we released them, they'll get booed every time they get the ball, just for the crime of once playing for a club. Then after the game players go home and come back to abuse on Twitter or elsewhere if they've scored or won a tackle the opposition didn't like or got injured and stayed down too long. There's not really a good place to escape abuse for players now other than switching off from the world completely, and innocuous players get far more grief from fans than they desrve. Lucas Digne got booed on his return to Everton, a club he loved, because he left after being forced out by a manager that the fans also hated. Booed nonetheless, then had a bottle thrown at him for the crime of being happy about a goal. As far as I'm concerned, players can give it back to the fans as much as they want given the level of toxicity those fans are giving out. If fans don't want players to bite back then they'll need to stop goading them in every second of every day. Call it a compromise.
    Agree with every word.

I recall that Scott Wagstaff got booed when he came back to The Valley with AFC Wimbledon a couple of years ago.

If you’d have asked the numbskulls why exactly he was being booed then they’d have struggled to come up with a logical answer.
    Maybe they preferred Danny Green?
  • Options
    The thing about players celebrating, is that it's spontaneous, and if it's at an away ground, there's a 50% chance that they'll be at the wrong end to their fans.

Chuks scores on Monday at the Fratton End. Yes it would be wrong to taunt the home fans, but similarly you have to expect the players to celebrate where they are, which is down the home end. You can hardly expect them to have to run back to the away end before celebrating.

Even worse, at Newcastle and Sunderland, the away fans are up in the gods, so the players will have to celebrate in front of some home fans.
  • Options
    leaked video of Palace Ultras organising their trip to South Bermondsey 

probably scared of trains due to us... 

edit: probably not the right thread for this but i can't be arsed to try and find a thread about the Ultras of Norwood Junction. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZAUqBpNbo&t=31s

That video is brilliant.
  • Options
    MK Dons fans being told by their own Twitter account to stop singing abusive songs to Wycombe’s Akinfenwa whilst warming up.

Ffs, what is wrong with football fans these days? 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    MK Dons fans being told by their own Twitter account to stop singing abusive songs to Wycombe’s Akinfenwa whilst warming up.

Context is that it's the same sex offender song that Charlton fans chanted all afternoon at Sunderland away. 

• Options
    leaked video of Palace Ultras organising their trip to South Bermondsey 

probably scared of trains due to us... 

edit: probably not the right thread for this but i can't be arsed to try and find a thread about the Ultras of Norwood Junction. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZAUqBpNbo&t=31s

That video is brilliant.
    It’s very good - there are loads of similar on the internet 
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Context is that it's the same sex offender song that Charlton fans chanted all afternoon at Sunderland away. 

Absolutely pathetic.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Absolutely pathetic.
    Yes poor Adam Johnson 🙄
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Absolutely pathetic.
    Yes poor Adam Johnson 🙄
    Two wrongs don’t make a right.
    It’s just childish & pathetic.
    I always thought we were better than that.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    WSS said:
    Sunday League player and Charlton fan threatened to knock referee out and said 'I hope I see you at Crystal Palace'

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/bexley-and-bromley/sport/im-going-to-knock-you-out-footballer-banned-after-refere-261272/
    As someone who ran my sons Sunday team for years he was by far the best referee we had in 10 years reffed numerous times and was brilliant everytime firm but fair with players and coaching staff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonder what happened to the Crewe fan who came onto the pitch and pushed Alfie Morgan?
  • Options

Is “fat water buffalo” ok?
    Just need clarification of what is acceptable.
  • Options
    Wonder what happened to the Crewe fan who came onto the pitch and pushed Alfie Morgan?
    Kicked off in the ground at Crewe today v Rotherham. SSN reported on it. 
  • Options
    ROTW said:

Is “fat water buffalo” ok?
    Just need clarification of what is acceptable.
    🙄
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Kicked off in the ground at Crewe today v Rotherham. SSN reported on it. 
    Lino got coined from the away end
  • Options
    West brom fans threw smoke bombs and a seat onto the pitch at Millwall yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 more incidents yesterday.

A Rotherham fan runs on the pitch as Accrington are about to take a penalty, boots the ball away from the spot and hits Harry Pell, although it was more of a jump into him than a punch or anything.

Morecambe v Bolton is held up for 10 minutes after Bolton's manager takes his players off the pitch after reporting racist abuse towards staff and players on the bench. He also claims after the game that some players were spat at.
  • Options
    Leicester fan ran on and attacked the Forest players today.
    Some people have lost their minds since the pandemic started and these people need to be dealt with swiftly and harshly before we start to return to the 1970's.
    Returning back to those days will never happen.
  • Options
    Some people have lost their minds since the pandemic started and these people need to be dealt with swiftly and harshly before we start to return to the 1970's.
    Returning back to those days will never happen.
    Agreed, context needed.

Few pricks with moments of madness. He’ll do time for that so will certainly be punished, as will those at LB, probably disproportionately compared to if they did it in another environment

Social media highlights every incident at every ground/pub like never before, but we’re not even close to the bad/good old days thankfully.
    We are not, you are right.

But we need to keep calling it out, keep seeing how we can improve and keep handing out the strongest of punishments to those that do let the rest of their club down.

This is starting to happen more often and needs clamping down on.
  • Options
    Agreed

I think we're starting to almost get used to it now, fans throwing things at the players and officials, or running onto the pitch to confront them them, whereas if any of these incidents had happened before 2020 they would have been a major story
  • Options
    The footage of Leicester fans in Nottingham city centre pre match is horrendous - utter twats
  • Options
    The footage of Leicester fans in Nottingham city centre pre match is horrendous - utter twats
    Not even attacking a Forest fan pub, it’s a family restaurant.