Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Fraser - pg 29 - Joins Hearts on loan for rest of season

Comments

• Options
    I think he is a class player but needs 2 athletic mids next to him. Morgan is not one and Dobbo is one paced. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Another player who's been great recently and run smack into one of the strongest teams in the 3rd tier in recent memory, at home, in prime form. Cool, judge him on this game. There won't be an Ipswich in the division next season. Not even QPR or Cardiff would be this powerful. 
    Great is a massive stretch. He's been ok. People constantly defending our bang average, mediocre and stagnating players are the problem. If you look at Fraser's Charlton career overall he's not stood out overall or been a real game changer. In 52 appearances for us he's directly contributed to 13 goals, 1 in 4. For a creative midfielder that's average to poor. Gallagher and JBG were closer to 1 in 2.5, for instance. 

Then again you're defending Inniss to the hilt, so maybe you're not the best judge of a footballer full stop
  • Options
    Fraser is very skillful but way too one footed. If he's allowed to move forward on his left then he'll hurt the opposition. If you close down that option, as Ipswich did, his threat is cut out to the extent that he becomes a liability.
  • Options
    WSAWSA
    edited April 2023
    At one point yesterday I noticed him 'defending' a corner in the penalty box, standing around with his hands on his hips.  Ball comes in and he saunters towards the six yard box with the guy he was supposedly marking in front of him.  Made me so mad.  Get rid.
  • Options
    Fraser is very skillful but way too one footed. If he's allowed to move forward on his left then he'll hurt the opposition. If you close down that option, as Ipswich did, his threat is cut out to the extent that he becomes a liability.
    If you are playing centre mid then I think you can be one-footed but you have to be balanced and able to at least play simple balls first time with your other foot.  Fraser isn't balanced.  You also have to be able to protect the ball and Fraser can't.  As such, when pressured, he's a liability.  

It's sometimes more important what a player does when he's not playing well than when he is, particularly in midfield. 
  • Options
    Is he good enough? It’s not a simple yes or no.

He’s not at Kermorgant or Cullen’s level, someone who is comfortably Championship standard.

Neither is he so poor and such a liability that he’s got nothing to add to a squad aiming to challenge for promotion.

He’s someone who will do well in the right team. Powell was right to let Semedo move on, he wasn’t what we needed in our 4-4-2. However he showed he was good enough and got promoted in 2nd place with Sheff Wed.

He could be a regular in a side at the right end of the table but we don’t currently have those stand out players that lift the team up a level or two.

We also don’t have the pace and energy in midfield to cover his weaknesses. Dobson has the energy but isn’t the quickest and it’s not a job he can do on his own. Our wide players are naturally very attacking and not the best at tracking back and defending. Morgan is average at this level and his place is an even more obvious one to strengthen before Fraser.

• Options
    Moans when he doesn't get the ball, looks a world beater against teams down the bottom but goes missing for the next 4 games. Laughing with opposition players after we lose 6 nil. Oh, and does a nice turn occasionally. Really hope we shift him this summer - this guy winds me up more than any other. 
  • Options
    If he was that good then Ipswich would have found room for him. He’s too inconsistent a player to be a part of a top 6 team. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw a tweet yesterday that he was cupping his hands to his ear to the away fans yesterday?
  • Options
    Saw a tweet yesterday that he was cupping his hands to his ear to the away fans yesterday?
    I wasn't sure if he was or not. It was in the second half after a "we've had a shot" chant rang out, and he was coming over to take a corner.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    He was made to look very very ordinary today. Luxury player that we cannot afford to be starting regularly.
    When he fancies it he’s a decent asset but those games seem to be  about one in five if you’re lucky. He’s got no engine and doesn’t pull his weight often getting caught in possession and offering little defensively. Today he had one decent cross and one decent effort on goal. Other than that he offered nothing and as a result Morgan and Dobson were overrun offering hardly any protection to a hapless defence. 
    I had been beginning to think Fraser was almost up to fitness, he's certainly managed 70+ minutes in games lately a vast improvement on his wheezy output for his first year with us.  Portman Road saw a depressingly familiar lightweight low impact reprise. 
  • Options
    He needs to go if we are mounting a promotion challenge next season, to inconsistent just like CBT
  • Options
    So last time we won 1-0 at MK Dons and Darren Pratley put in the Greatest Performance Of All Time man-marking Scott Fraser, it wasn't actually all that impressive really?
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    So last time we won 1-0 at MK Dons and Darren Pratley put in the Greatest Performance Of All Time man-marking Scott Fraser, it wasn't actually all that impressive really?
    Correct 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Correct 
    Pratley was very poor overall that season.  I remember that being one of his only decent performances which is probably it got talked up so much 
  • Options
    He needs to go if we are mounting a promotion challenge next season, to inconsistent just like CBT
    Or become squad players. We had worse players in both our recent promotion winning squads who made plenty of appearances.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Leuth said:
    Correct 
    Pratley was very poor overall that season.  I remember that being one of his only decent performances which is probably it got talked up so much 
    I thought it was a piss take to be honest. I never dreamed I would see “Darren Pratley” and “The greatest performance of all time “ in the same paragraph 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Or become squad players. We had worse players in both our recent promotion winning squads who made plenty of appearances.
    I agree with the sentiment that you need squad players and if our best players become or squad players because we have better best players we will be moving it the right direction.

I think Fraser is odd example though.  I think he would be significantly better with the right players around him and a system that played to his strengths.  He isn't alone in that, it's been true of loads of our players over the last 3 years.

But, like most of the others, is he good enough to build your team around?  I am not sure tbh.  Also I don't think he is the type of player that "can do a job" in a different role to a high enough standard.

I am not sure what the answer is because Fraser and Dobson are the least of our problems but we have never really get the midfield right since Williams got injured in the Championship season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I agree with the sentiment that you need squad players and if our best players become or squad players because we have better best players we will be moving it the right direction.

I think Fraser is odd example though.  I think he would be significantly better with the right players around him and a system that played to his strengths.  He isn't alone in that, it's been true of loads of our players over the last 3 years.

But, like most of the others, is he good enough to build your team around?  I am not sure tbh.  Also I don't think he is the type of player that "can do a job" in a different role to a high enough standard.

I am not sure what the answer is because Fraser and Dobson are the least of our problems but we have never really get the midfield right since Williams got injured in the Championship season. 
    Well you're in luck, he's a free agent at the end of the season ;)

You know it's going to happen!
  • Options
    his performances are pretty much par with far too many others of our squad .. sometimes super, other times rubbish .. I guess that fluctuating level of consistency is a major difference tween Premier and EFL footballers
  • Options
    Him this week is it?  :D
  • Options
    With decent players around him, Fraser is more than good enough for a promotion winning side.

I'd love to know who people think we are going to replace him with?
  • Options
    Cupping both ears when we scored. Could just be a rubbish celebration, or maybe he's a W⚓, who knows
  • Options
    Could be just milking the applause
  • Options
    th0rryy said:
    his performances are pretty much par with far too many others of our squad .. sometimes super, other times rubbish .. I guess that fluctuating level of consistency is a major difference tween Premier and EFL footballers
    This is my main problem with the majority of this squad and the reason I would remain very much on the fence about keeping him past the summer. He is, by all accounts, one of the highest earners in L1, but just does not put in significant, game-changing performances anywhere regularly enough to justify his wage. He spends a lot of time pointing around, moaning at the other players and not tracking back whilst occasionally showing a flourish of skill or control. More often than those moments are the ones where he gives the ball away, doesn't tackle or doesn't run. I think his fitness hasn't been there all season and isn't getting any better.

For a player on the money he is on, he should be playing like Dobson does every week, just creatively rather than defensively. I think he gets a free ride from a lot of supporters and I just don't think he offers enough. The fact that people suggest he needs to have someone athletic around him to allow him to play is highlighting the kind of glaring deficiencies in his game that we want less of.

Sadly, I don't think we have or could appeal to anyone better. Neither Morgan or Payne are the answer. Replacing him is simply a numbers game for wages, but I have yet to see the required consistency from him required for a promotion push. He disappoints me more than he amazes me, which is so frustrating because he does show glimpses. I just think the legs are on the decline and he's past his best. If he stays, I just think the high points will be less and less frequent.
    super analysis, nail hit right on the bonce  :)  
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WR6iL6xdFI&t=29s

Every Scott Fraser goal in 2022/23

• Options
    he needs to be working hard all summer to significantly improve both core strength and aerobic stamina
    he's a decent enough player at this level, ability wise but when things aren't going his or CAFC's way he is AWOL
    in this shitty division sheer bloody hard work will always give you a chance
    of course if any club offers enough of a fee that means losing him won't cost CAFC readies then (same as everybody) he's a potential sale - I won't lose any sleep
    there's an almost limitless supply of OOC players, replacing him with a capable body won't concern DH and whoever's doing the recruitment
    DH keeps his cards too close to his chest for us to know if SF is his 'sort' of player and blending an effective squad ain't likely to be hamstrung (!) by the gain or loss of one player
    the lack of any offer to the likes of Morgan suggests DH ain't looking to jettison SF
    even with him so lightweight and wheezy he's 10 times the player of McGrandles and Kirk added together - they need to be first off the rank when it comes to sale time
    Is he good enough? - probably
    Can he be better than previously? - definitely
    Will he be? - that's up to SF