Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Fraser - pg 29 - Joins Hearts on loan for rest of season

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    After all that it looks like Fraser will actually beat Camara back.
    After all what? I've not seen many updates apart from a calf impact for Fraser and minor foot niggle for Camara.
    In an Instagram post, Fraser was back on the grass today. Still in the dark on Camara.
    Needs a flash then
  • Options
    I think the issue with Fraser is that you need to build the team around him to get the best (possibly anything) out of him. Frankly he just doesn’t justify having a team built around him, so we’re stuck playing in a system which probably doesn’t suit him and he contributes very little.  
  • Options
    Thought he was his usual nothingy yesterday but better dross than most of them 
    but why oh why did we sub him off when that free kick was bang on for a left footed dig from him , instead Louie Watson whacked one in to the wall … ok Fraser may have done The same but from that position a left footed shot was required 
  • Options
    but why oh why did we sub him off when that free kick was bang on for a left footed dig from him , instead Louie Watson whacked one in to the wall … ok Fraser may have done The same but from that position a left footed shot was required 
    The timing of that sub was curious, Fraser did basically nothing all game and then when he has a chance to do something that he has some competency at we sub him!

I presume the sub was already committed to and we weren’t able to delay it until after the free kick? 

Either way I’m sure nothing would have come of it. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The timing of that sub was curious, Fraser did basically nothing all game and then when he has a chance to do something that he has some competency at we sub him!

I presume the sub was already committed to and we weren’t able to delay it until after the free kick? 

Either way I’m sure nothing would have come of it. 
    He had a go at one in the first half that went over but yeah may as well have let him try again. 
    Unless the laws have changed I always thought you could "cancel" a substitution as long as the player hasn't left the field. 
  • Options
    I share everyone's concerns. He looks so weak and fragile and always needs three touches before playing a safe predicable pass.

With his passing ability and May's deep running into space it should be  a match made in heaven.

It's as though Appleton has told Dobson and Fraser to do a  job swap and neither are very good at the other's favoured role.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    cabbles said:
    se9addick said:
    I think the issue with Fraser is that you need to build the team around him to get the best (possibly anything) out of him. Frankly he just doesn’t justify having a team built around him, so we’re stuck playing in a system which probably doesn’t suit him and he contributes very little.  
    We need him gone in the summer.  He’s the new Gilbey 
    And Gilbey was the new ..... fair head bloke whose name I can't remember now - clearly have blocked him from my memory - but was as weak as piss, created nothing and blew over in a gentle breeze.

It can't be coincidence that we've had so many of those types this past few years. Surely we must be looking for that type to keep signing them?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    He used to be such a good ball carrier. Tore us apart for MK Dons dribbling through the midfield. Scored a lovely goal for us against Portsmouth doing the same. Now, he takes too many touches, slows the game down and lays it off. 
    To be fair, a one legged man could've dribbled through our midfield in those days .... and now for that matter.
  • Options
    That was very odd, baffling why they couldn't have delayed the sub for 30 seconds.
  • Options
    Actually didn't think he was that bad yesterday and when he was subbed off for TC we were worse off for it.

However, he's had his chance and he isn't up to it. He has regressed as a player and is a big part of why we are a mid table league 1 side now. Big wages, little influence.

I looked at Joe Powell yesterday and thought that he is what I expect Fraser to be at times. By far the better player both playing a similar role.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    He’s an extremely frustrating player. He’s neat and tidy and rarely does anything stupid in possession. I would say he’s improved his defensive side since he came here. 

But, and it is a big but, consistently, in the matches where you’re looking for someone to provide that bit of creativity and quality, to play the killer pass that unlocks a stout defence and gives someone a clear sight on goal, he goes awol, and it’s just when he should be showing his value. 

Everytime he got on the ball in a good area yesterday his final pass was just not good enough. It’s true of others too, but, for me, the quality of final ball is the number one reason he’s in the side and he simply isn’t delivering. 

And don’t even get me started on his set pieces.

His nickname just looks like a total piss take these days. 
  • Options
    I don’t think any of his performances since he returned from injury have guaranteed him a starting place in the next match.  So I think hope Apples can only be playing him in the hope he will do enough to encourage someone to buy him in January.
  • Options
    He’s an extremely frustrating player. He’s neat and tidy and rarely does anything stupid in possession.
    I think he gets caught in possession a fair bit, takes him ages to get the ball out of his feet sometimes. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    His biggest problem is he's been unable to reach the required level of fitness since joining.
    Whether it's due to asthma, long covid a combination or neither, he shuffles round the pitch in small steps, whilst the opposition stride past him.

No player can perform without the adequate level of fitness and he just doesn't and never has had it at Charlton.

He's definitely getting worse.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Show me any other player in League 1 that plays in a side as high scoring as us, as a creative midfielder, with ZERO GOALS AND ZERO ASSISTS and I'll be amazed, or assume they haven't actually played much at all this season. He's amassed 740 minutes so far without contributing a thing. 

Useless, lethargic and lazy
    That’s the problem though, Appleton isn’t playing him in a role that he can create for us. 

Fraser has 30+ goals and 30+ assists at this level over the past 5 years or so. Appleton is playing him back with Dobson in a 2 and for some reason persists with it even though it is obvious to anyone watching that it doesn’t work. If Fraser is on the pitch (not sure he should be) we need to play a 3 with Dobson, Watson and Fraser so Fraser has more of a licence to get forward 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    League one's best playmaker with 35 goals and 28 assists across 7 league one seasons.

14 goals scored coming in that 20/21 season for MK Dons. Been living off that ever since. 

Proper mustard, Rolls Royce, Pirlo etc etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Part of our issue as a fanbase is watching players like Fraser do absolutely fuck all with set pieces for their entire Charlton careers, yet still think it's a loss that he wasn't left on to put another one off target.

Guilty of it myself and it's absolutely maddening. 

• Options
    I think he might have had a vision problem yesterday. Someone around me spotted he was regularly rubbing his eye and didn't look comfortable, and it did look to be the case.

However, I really don't think he has done enough to be a regular starter this season and I think he's only there until McGrandles is fit. Or maybe Terry Taylor (anyone remember him?)
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    cabbles said:
    se9addick said:
    We need him gone in the summer.  He’s the new Gilbey 
    And Gilbey was the new ..... fair head bloke whose name I can't remember now - clearly have blocked him from my memory - but was as weak as piss, created nothing and blew over in a gentle breeze.

It can't be coincidence that we've had so many of those types this past few years. Surely we must be looking for that type to keep signing them?

Ben Reeves?
    George Lapslie?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    League one's best playmaker with 35 goals and 28 assists across 7 league one seasons.

14 goals scored coming in that 20/21 season for MK Dons. Been living off that ever since. 

Proper mustard, Rolls Royce, Pirlo etc etc.
    Genuinely had no idea he’d produced those sorts of numbers over the years - but then again I know very little about players in sides outside of our own in League One.

I’m amazed that he’s provided that sort of return. 

He’s a complete passenger who doesn’t look like he is that interested in grabbing a game by the horns and actually doing anything noteworthy. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    sam3110 said:
    Show me any other player in League 1 that plays in a side as high scoring as us, as a creative midfielder, with ZERO GOALS AND ZERO ASSISTS and I'll be amazed, or assume they haven't actually played much at all this season. He's amassed 740 minutes so far without contributing a thing. 

Useless, lethargic and lazy
    That’s the problem though, Appleton isn’t playing him in a role that he can create for us. 

Fraser has 30+ goals and 30+ assists at this level over the past 5 years or so. Appleton is playing him back with Dobson in a 2 and for some reason persists with it even though it is obvious to anyone watching that it doesn’t work. If Fraser is on the pitch (not sure he should be) we need to play a 3 with Dobson, Watson and Fraser so Fraser has more of a licence to get forward 
    But he's got licence to go forwards, Dobson still does and had a couple of shots blocked on Saturday, Fraser doesn't do the same. He doesn't have the engine to play in a high press midfield, and isn't good enough to play as the 10. He's useless in our current formation, but also just pretty useless in general
  • Options
    A player I expected so much from but hasn't delivered anywhere near what was expected of him. Bar Pompey away last season when he ran the show just feels like another costly signing that hasn't worked out. 
  • Options
    When we have possession, he hides. What's happened to him?