Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Scott Fraser - pg 29 - Joins Hearts on loan for rest of season

Comments

• Options
    edited January 4
    Personally, I think he’s a much better player than is being suggested by many (particularly Cobbles), but there’s no doubt he’s out of form at the moment and that movement for the goal on Saturday has magnified it. 
    I think he’s been out of form for some time, and is the sort of player that doesn’t make up for it by putting in extra effort. 
    No goals or assists (or even MotMs) for possibly our highest earning player is scant return, and if we want to progress I think we need to sign better. 
    (He may be playing slightly out of position, I accept that)
  • Options
    There is a reason Ipswich were happy to lose him, another expensive signing we need to move on if we want to become serious promotion candidates next season. 
  • Options
    I was thinking last night about how funny it is that if you asked Charlton fans a few years ago who their ideal signings in midfield would be they would have told you Scott Fraser and Panutche Camara. Now we actually have them and it's a bit of a disaster. Both got picked up by Ipswich instead and discarded for not being at the level, and there we were to take them off their hands. Just as well we didn't sign Cole Stockton really
  • Options
    I’m still baffled by the fact that he runs across the front of the guy about to shoot and then shields the corner flag…..I had to watch it a few times to believe what he did.  ( second Oxford goal) . I’ve never seen anyth8ng like it. At any level….

• Options
    Personally, I think he’s a much better player than is being suggested by many (particularly Cobbles), but there’s no doubt he’s out of form at the moment and that movement for the goal on Saturday has magnified it. 
    When has he been in form in a Charlton shirt? 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    9 goals 5 assists last season and probably only behind JRS, Dobson and Leaburn for POTY. Even then though he was quite inconsistent and would have runs of bad games, but that does mean there were definitely spells where he was ‘in form’ 

He’s been terrible this season, I’d want to move him on but I think he will be difficult to shift because of his wages. Only hope is that with a better midfielder next to him and Dobson we might see a better version of Fraser 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Never quite been the player we hoped (Ipswich wouldn’t have let him go if he was) but he was clearly better last season when he scored 9 in the league and was more of creative threat too.

He’s not helped by MA playing as one of two holding midfielders but he does need to improve if he’s going to keep his place. Last season we played 4-3-3 with Dobson behind Fraser and another which suits him more.
  • Options
    1se7 said:
    I’m still baffled by the fact that he runs across the front of the guy about to shoot and then shields the corner flag…..I had to watch it a few times to believe what he did.  ( second Oxford goal) . I’ve never seen anyth8ng like it. At any level….

It looked to me that he made the (very poor) decision to cut out the pass option to the player he was close to at the time. However the guy was clearly setting up to pull the trigger so instinct should have told him to block the shot. 

• Options
    Thing is Fraser hasn't been playing further back all season, but he's been playing there recently because Appleton doesn't like Watson, thinks Anderson is too raw to play every game, and has lost Camara, McGrandles and Taylor to injury. 

When Fraser was actually playing as the number 10 he was dire anyway, so I'd move him on. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    MOTM away against Pompey last season....not reached those heights this season

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was thinking last night about how funny it is that if you asked Charlton fans a few years ago who their ideal signings in midfield would be they would have told you Scott Fraser and Panutche Camara. Now we actually have them and it's a bit of a disaster. Both got picked up by Ipswich instead and discarded for not being at the level, and there we were to take them off their hands. Just as well we didn't sign Cole Stockton really
    Yep and people a few years ago would've said it's easy to get promoted, just spend money on good players like Fraser and Camara.

Not always that easy unfortunately, unless you've got millions to burn and can continually replace the failures until you luck into the right combination eventually.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Haven't got much time for these midfielders who need very specific roles in specific formations in order to perform. If you're that kind of player, you better be absolutely amazing. 
    And if they're that good, they can usually adapt to other positions when needed anyway (Alfie May for example)...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Haven't got much time for these midfielders who need very specific roles in specific formations in order to perform. If you're that kind of player, you better be absolutely amazing. 
    Not defending Fraser but your CMs will usually have different roles whatever the formation. We wouldn’t have done as well under Bowyer had Aribo been the holding midfielder and Pratley the 10 in his diamond for example. I know what you mean but not properly thinking through how our team will fit together has been one of many issues in the last few seasons.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Would be fine if we were reasonably smart, picked a set up and stuck with it. But we don’t seem to have that kind of sensible strategy/vision and instead every new manager is different to the last 

Fraser was signed to play in a 3-5-2, the system he excelled in at MK Dons. Since Jackson left we have barely played that system and Fraser was never fit enough that first 6 months for us to see him in it 
  • Options
    edited January 4
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Not defending Fraser but your CMs will usually have different roles whatever the formation. We wouldn’t have done as well under Bowyer had Aribo been the holding midfielder and Pratley the 10 in his diamond for example. I know what you mean but not properly thinking through how our team will fit together has been one of many issues in the last few seasons. 
    Yeah, I'm not saying they have to play every role, but they should be able to play more than one. Aribo & Pratley (especially the latter) could do a job into multiple roles in multiple formations. 
  • Options
    Any news on him finding a painter in Dundee?
    Perhaps he will move to Scotland and do it himself 🤣
  • Options
    edited January 4
    Just wish he'd brush up on his form
  • Options
    Any news on him finding a painter in Dundee?
    I have recommended Huey McSlapdash of Bodge Cuttingin and Scarper, painters of Tayside.

It's only fair, the Scottish Pirlo has helped fuck up our midfield, I'd love them to do the same to his living room!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What I do know is that in Dundee 'pie' is pronounced 'peh'.
  • Options
    Fraser is a CAM as far as I can see, not a CM and certainly not a CDM. He actually does resemble a League One standard Pirlo, can twist and spin (mind you so can my Shih-Tzu), set up a goal, score a goal and dictate a tempo in that final third (said dog cannot do these said things), BUT is injury prone, terribly inconsistent and in fairness to him imho has been played out of position most games he has played for us. The bloke cannot tackle - a bit like a once young Scott Parker 🖕🏻who couldn’t before he had that spell at Norwich who taught him how to and when to… 

He won’t aid any promotion bid no matter where he plays but would be good to see him do something in his more natural role if he does stay to season end. 
  • Options
    edited January 4
    He has some attributes but I’m of the opinion now we need to get shot of him as we won’t go up with him in the team and i reckon apples has May down as playing in the hole in his 433 - we have to offload midfielders to get who we want in so hopefully we can offload him 
  • Options
    edited January 4
    Fumbluff said:
    Get rid. 
    I could take a better corner using nothing but my arse crack and a frisbee…
    Impressive, nice party trick!
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    I genuinely got behind him when he was signed.  I thought good signing, and was excited, but as his time has progressed, I think he epitomizes everything wrong with the players we’ve bought in over the years.  It’s not just him.  Stockley wound me up something chronic before we let him go last season.  Matthews and Inniss as well.  They all seemed to start okay, but deteriorated very quickly.  I think my patience is shot as well now given how long this malaise has gone on.  Like a lot of us, we’re less tolerant of poor performances.

The fact he’s reportedly one of our higher earners as well given what he was on at Ipswich winds me up as well.  I usually don’t care about that sort of thing, but he gives off the impression he’s not putting a shift in.  
    I think he was vastly better last season than his first season under Jacko. Worked hard and got goals. He's been woefully out of form this year, but I don't think he's not putting a shift in, I just think he's out of form or maybe not fit. He is not the box to box player that Bakinson and Camara are, that's not his game. He needs one holder and one shuttler alongside him to be at his best. And he hasn't had that this season.

I just wonder if he's not fit or carrying a knock. I just wouldn't write him off completely. 
  • Options
    Didn't his wife have a baby last year - often seems a factor in a player losing form?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Chunes said:
    Ah the days when managers used different formations....them were the days. Bloody EFL bringing in the rule that managers had to commit to a formation and play nothing else!