Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scott Fraser - pg 36 - left by mutual consent

Comments

• Turning out for Hearts must've had a negative affect on his value?
  • I'd be interested to know whether he's just fed up being a reserve player for an average league one club or if he actually does really want to go back to Scotland.

I wonder how desperate to move north of the border he'd be if he'd done really well with us and a Championship club (say Norwich for example) had bought him and were paying him 15k a week.
  • I’m sure, he’ll be given a chance, and if he’s not up for it, be worked out the door, Nathan don’t want any sulkers, or passengers.
  • One of the more 'technically' gifted players in the squad....but I do question his commitment and desire....I think Jones will ship him out before the end of the transfer deadline unless he produces the pompey away performance week in week out.... 
  • He's in the same situation as he was when with Ipswich. Not good enough for the 1st team. Problem is, the footballing world does not seem to agree with his own assertion that he's one of the best in the league!
  • edited July 9
    He has never asserted he is one of the best in the league.  Why do we always attach an attitude problem to a player just because they play poorly for us.  Fraser’s problem is that for all the skill he has,  he just not athletic enough which drags the state of play to a snails pace
  • Bournesnr said:
    Surely we can’t be thinking of letting him go?
    l thought he was the Scottish Pirlo!!!
    Ability to tie boot laces would be all they have in common .  
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    He has never asserted he is one of the best in the league.  Why do we always attach an attitude problem to a player just because they play poorly for us.  Fraser’s problem is that for all the skill he has,  he just not athletic enough which drags the state of play to a snails pace
    He called himself one of the better players in the league. We need players to believe in themselves though so I don’t see it as an attitude problem if they put the effort in go with that.

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/fraser-full-confidence-ahead-new-season

I’m sure May also talked about his improvement at Cheltenham partly coming from wanting to get on the pitch and be the best player out there.

In fairness to him, he did go on to score 9 goals during the 22/23 season after he said the above.

We’d be relatively happy with that return from Doc or Berry this season.
  • Scoham said:
    He called himself one of the better players in the league. We need players to believe in themselves though so I don’t see it as an attitude problem if they put the effort in go with that.

I’m sure May also talked about his improvement at Cheltenham partly coming from wanting to get on the pitch and be the best player out there.

In fairness to him, he did go on to score 9 goals during the 22/23 season after he said the above.

A good return on paper, but they had the luxury of Dobbo being an excellent defensive midfielder and probably playing too deep in L1. NJ realised this.
  • Scoham said:

Yeah although he’s never been the player we hoped, he still had a good season that year - but I think his weaknesses stop him from being a top player at this level.

Now I think he’s at the point his family and being back in Scotland is a higher priority (understandable, but not ideal for what we want to do this season) and he wouldn’t get back to that level with us.
  • Bournesnr said:
    Surely we can’t be thinking of letting him go?
    l thought he was the Scottish Pirlo!!!

It's all relative.
  • For all concerned, an early exit for Fraser would be ideal.
  • mendonca said:
    Scoham said:

A good return on paper, but they had the luxury of Dobbo being an excellent defensive midfielder and probably playing too deep in L1. NJ realised this.
    And the luxury of Leaburn, JRS and CBT/ TC making shed loads of space for him 
  • Scottish Pirlo I thought that was mcgrandles 
  • He has never asserted he is one of the best in the league.  Why do we always attach an attitude problem to a player just because they play poorly for us.  Fraser’s problem is that for all the skill he has,  he just not athletic enough which drags the state of play to a snails pace
    He has. I'm certain there are also behind-the-scenes videos at the training ground where other players joke about how he considers himself better than the level. There's nothing wrong with self-confidence, and when he's on form he is one of the better players in the league. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Turning out for Hearts must've had a negative affect on his value?
    Racist 
  • edited July 9
    Fraser definitely comes across like he believes he's a cut above. 

https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1810652531116183687?t=sxzvcniQGRnObYAlMRxfWw&s=19

I see the club are already going down the 'like a new signing route' or, trying to put him in the shop window 😉

I'd like to see him moved on personally
    , as he's had more than a fair chance here.

https://x.com/CAFCofficial/status/1810655456810959066?t=oAhgoq1xVv5_OgY1UOCLbg&s=19

It's interesting however, that any of us wouldn't really have Fraser down for his engine, but he seemed relatively unphased by the drill compared to the other players

• Sponsored links:

• I’m not sure Fraser is going if he impressed jones enough he is a different alternative and can unlock defences with his passing. 
    Unless the new players that have come in are better passers than him. 
  • Fraser wants to go back to Scotland. It appears we want to let him go but hold his contract for another year.

I never understand why in such circumstances we are obliged to pay his wages (or a large portion of them.)

Why can't we just say, ok we'll cancel your contract and you're free to find yourself another club but we aren't going to pay any of your wages.

If he says no, then say you can stay down here for the next year and train with the youth team or by himself.

Not nice I know but we are doing him a favour by letting him go for nothing and we should make him aware of that.
    Lol. That’s literally the whole point of contract law. Nothing to do with morals, wants or desires.
  • I’m not sure Fraser is going if he impressed jones enough he is a different alternative and can unlock defences with his passing. 
    Unless the new players that have come in are better passers than him. 
    He's not a Jones player at all, slow and completely non-aggressive.
  • See what happens .To me if jones  was that sure he didn’t want him I don’t think he would’ve took him to the training camp personally. 
  • See what happens .To me if jones  was that sure he didn’t want him I don’t think he would’ve took him to the training camp personally. 
    No one will buy him unless we prove he’s fit, so he’s got to be involved in pre-season and friendlies to show that and put him in the shop window 
  • JaShea99 said:
    Fraser wants to go back to Scotland. It appears we want to let him go but hold his contract for another year.

I never understand why in such circumstances we are obliged to pay his wages (or a large portion of them.)

Why can't we just say, ok we'll cancel your contract and you're free to find yourself another club but we aren't going to pay any of your wages.

If he says no, then say you can stay down here for the next year and train with the youth team or by himself.

Not nice I know but we are doing him a favour by letting him go for nothing and we should make him aware of that.
    Lol. That’s literally the whole point of contract law. Nothing to do with morals, wants or desires.
    LOL all you like.

I'm not saying we don't pay him if he decides to stay - never said that and know we can't do that.

Just saying if he decides to stay, and Jones doesn't want him in the squad, then he trains down here by himself.

All you guys who go on about how we have to honour his contract - which we do - need to remember he has to honour his side of it as well, which is to play for us for another season. If he doesn't want to honour his side of the deal for whatever reason - in this case because he wants to go back to Scotland- then why on earth do we have to subsidise his wages if he does move back on loan ?

• JaShea99 said:
    Fraser wants to go back to Scotland. It appears we want to let him go but hold his contract for another year.

LOL all you like.

I'm not saying we don't pay him if he decides to stay - never said that and know we can't do that.

Just saying if he decides to stay, and Jones doesn't want him in the squad, then he trains down here by himself.

All you guys who go on about how we have to honour his contract - which we do - need to remember he has to honour his side of it as well, which is to play for us for another season. If he doesn't want to honour his side of the deal for whatever reason - in this case because he wants to go back to Scotland- then why on earth do we have to subsidise his wages if he does move back on loan ?

Because in this hypothetical we can either pay part of (most of?) his wages and have him playing in Scotland out of sight and out of mind OR we pay the entirety of his wages for him to just turn up and do a bit of training.

It's not like he's said he's downing tools and refusing to play for Charlton, he just PREFERS to be back in Scotland and most likely so would the manager. In theory he could be part of the squad next season but neither side seems to really want it.
  • If he’s not in the plans then Jones will have him loaned out even if it’s Charlton that foot 99% of the bill. No sense in having him around and a good loan until January could see him off the books permanently then. Not about punishing the player by no longer requiring his services. That’s just the life of a professional footballer. Pity that it’s worked out like this for both club and player. Hope he gets back to Scotland and resurrects his career. 
  • There will be managers elsewhere who think they are short of naturally left footed players.