Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFC Wimbledon fans involved in incident at London Bridge

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    se9addick said:
    The increase in aggro around football since the return of fans would make a good dissertation subject for someone’s psychology degree. I would have assumed a global pandemic killing millions would have provided some perspective and actually reduced some of the silliness. 

Hopefully it calms down soon. 
    This weekend a Leicester fan attacked a Forest player after they scored. A Rotherham fan kicked the ball before an Accrington player could take the penalty then attacked him. The comments on that instagram link are disgraceful.

What's going on?
    It amazes me that anyone is surprised.

People have had their lives turned upside down these last two years and they feel that it was unnecessary. They are seething with anger.
    You may not feel that way but many do.

If we discuss online why many feel that way and you don't, it doesn't address the issue. I once hoped that on a forum like this we could discuss issues of the day and weigh things up, but everyone seems entrenched in their camp.  

Over the last two years we've tackled the problem by the philosophy of one camp.

The media won't entertain any philosophical debate on anything, and if there's any dissent it gets shouted down. Unfortunately, it's always easy to find a ridiculous section of the group who think differently, diffuse that around the media, get those with most screen time to repeat the mantra so that everyone believes it, and make the in-way of thinking seem right, and make any other way of thinking seem wrong by labelling it 'selfish', 'rascist' 'phobic' etc

This goes for COVID, BLM, LGBTQism and all the other nonsense. 

The other camp are fed up and angry. The young working class with no other solution manifest this anger in violence but there are thousands of others who feel this way and do nothing (yet?). It could end in civil war imo.
    3 lols. You may laugh but the civil war bit at the end only came to me to write because my student said that to me earlier. He went way off topic but I let him carry on. He was complaining about how the media simplify everything too much, and how he has to explain so much to his employees to overcome that.
    This is a CEO of a company with about 40 employees. I was surprised when he said he thinks that they'll be a civil war. It's not really me saying that to be honest but I can't say that I think he's too far off the mark either. 

I don't know if the 3 people clicking on lol are the same as the 2 saying that they don't understand the violence, but if so therein lies the problem.

So they'll be trouble because we're being to nice to black and gay people, is the TLDR of your rants. 
    And covid is a hoax.
    It's not about being nice (or not) to black or gay people, and neither did I say that Covid19 is a hoax.
    You don't have to think Covid19 is a hoax to be against all the rules and restrictions.

No matter how much a few people get ‘vexed’ by restrictions, it’s not going to lead to civil war. It just feels like it will, if you stay on the internet too long. 
  • Options
    What's going wrong with you lot?

It seems like one incident after another these days......
    It's the vaccine.....obviously.
    That genuinely made me laugh. Well done, sir  :)
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    se9addick said:
    The increase in aggro around football since the return of fans would make a good dissertation subject for someone’s psychology degree. I would have assumed a global pandemic killing millions would have provided some perspective and actually reduced some of the silliness. 

This weekend a Leicester fan attacked a Forest player after they scored. A Rotherham fan kicked the ball before an Accrington player could take the penalty then attacked him. The comments on that instagram link are disgraceful.

What's going on?

People have had their lives turned upside down these last two years and they feel that it was unnecessary. They are seething with anger.

If we discuss online why many feel that way and you don't, it doesn't address the issue. I once hoped that on a forum like this we could discuss issues of the day and weigh things up, but everyone seems entrenched in their camp.  

Over the last two years we've tackled the problem by the philosophy of one camp.

The media won't entertain any philosophical debate on anything, and if there's any dissent it gets shouted down. Unfortunately, it's always easy to find a ridiculous section of the group who think differently, diffuse that around the media, get those with most screen time to repeat the mantra so that everyone believes it, and make the in-way of thinking seem right, and make any other way of thinking seem wrong by labelling it 'selfish', 'rascist' 'phobic' etc

The other camp are fed up and angry. The young working class with no other solution manifest this anger in violence but there are thousands of others who feel this way and do nothing (yet?). It could end in civil war imo.

I don't think that's logical...why then in the absence of the "woke" culture back in the 70s and 80s were fans kicking the granny out of each other on the terraces weekly and earlier than that in 50s and 60s Teddy Boys and Mods and Rockers etc.

Were the 80s hoolies taking a stand and kicking off in protest at the bananas being chucked on pitches and regular monkey chants etc?  

I don't think people are running on pitches lumping players and throwing bottles and fighting at football because they're fed up with people taking the knee or gay rights...young men, (and sad middle aged ones) have always been angry at society and enjoyed fighting*.

Twas' ever thus.  

That's not to say that the anger or disenfranchisement/ marginalisation that people may feel because of their perception of how things are changing (the perceived culture war/ "woke culture" to use the easily recognisable term which is being exploited by extremes from both sides of the political spectrum to keep the divide and rule ethos turning perpetually) and a perceived  vulnerability in that respect may well add to it but I don't think it can be allayed as the entire root cause.

*When I say enjoy fighting I mean when it is on their own terms....ie. in the relatively "safe" and controlled environment of football.  I don't expect those in the trenches or wars throughout recent generations in real fights thought much other than sheer terror....and those poor souls genuinely had a hell of a lot to be angry and bitter about.  The old boy in football factory summed this up perfectly.
    It’s all about wanting to belong, isn’t it? Something (club/territory) to defend against our enemies. War substitute, if you like. Or maybe it has changed? 
    I was working at a Tory conference up in Blackpool in the eighties or early nineties once, and the day after England fans had being running riot somewhere we interviewed MP Alan Clark (of Diaries fame), and afterwards we mentioned the football trouble. He surprised us by not condemning the fans, and actually said they were useful as ‘they’d be the first over the top in the event of a war’. They were just getting some practice in. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022

It’s these West Ham fans coming to our games - they just can’t behave themselves.

Although I did see a really disturbing incident at our game on Saturday. A supporter threw his train timetable to the floor in disgust at Wimbledon making in 2-2
  • Options
    Men are very territorial and it is in our baser nature to gather in like minded groups, for cameraderie, protection and to tear it up.  Football is an ideal foil for this sort of behaviour!

Women of course are worse.
  • Options
    @SE7toSG3 Brilliant Posts. The worst offenders were Pompey at The Valley. A fanbase who are usually unique but sang the same old rubbish which every other teams sings. 
    Pompey (at home certainly) have their bell at least, which is pretty unique!
    Helen the bell at Maine Road, now she was unique and a proper super fan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Hang on, so someone shouted mk dons at afc  so they decided to attack some innocent bystanders/scarfers (whatever you want to call them)? It's banter ffs. They're gonna get a rude awakening if they keep behaving like that tbh. You don't do shit like that without someone taking exception to it later down the line.
    That's how they got their bully reputation in the non league 
    Well, they're in the big league now, so you dish it out, you have to take it back at some point I guess. No class this lot at all. Its a shame actually, cause the story could have been a good one, but they appear to be followed by a load of idiots! I mean, Wimbledon, behave yourselves and pipe down ffs. I really dislike this lot and the Robinson stuff with their steward or whatever he was left a very bad taste. But anyway we won so fuck em haha!
    That good, because it looks like they’re going to be your main South London rivals for the foreseeable 😉
    wimbledon might be a shitty little club with shitty little fans and we may be temporarily sparring with them but there's no denying that they, like ourselves, have won a major trophy so once you've done similar - and you know that will never happen - you can condescend to us - good luck  :D   
    @golfaddick

would you agree AFC Wimbledon won the cup?
    No.

They were only formed 20 years ago, so couldn't win the FA Cup in 1988.

But its not a difficult mistake to make, as our comms team did on Saturday. 
    MK Dons passed the recorded club history to them several years ago.
    You can’t just do that though. Man Utd could pass us their history but we’ll still know it’s not correct that we’ve won 20 league titles. At the end of the day, Wimbledon won the FA Cup in 1988, later moved to Milton Keynes and AFC Wimbledon were formed to replace the original Wimbledon. They are a new club. 
    They can do whatever they want if both parties agree and they agreed. Afc Wimbledon have triangular corner flags, Milton Keynes don't. On that basis the efl recognise afc as the cup winners and not Milton Keynes 
    Maybe, but nobody else does. 
     I'm not going to lose any sleep over whether over this and ultimately, don't care. I was just pointing out the fact that has made up my mind.

back to the important stuff....who won the fight?
    The "Only FA Cup winners can used triangular corner flags" story is a myth by the way
    That pisses over my fire works 😂
  • Options

It’s these West Ham fans coming to our games - they just can’t behave themselves.

Although I did see a really disturbing incident at our game on Saturday. A supporter threw his train timetable to the floor in disgust at Wimbledon making in 2-2
    I lol'd this then realised who posted it.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Hang on, so someone shouted mk dons at afc  so they decided to attack some innocent bystanders/scarfers (whatever you want to call them)? It's banter ffs. They're gonna get a rude awakening if they keep behaving like that tbh. You don't do shit like that without someone taking exception to it later down the line.
    Well, they're in the big league now, so you dish it out, you have to take it back at some point I guess. No class this lot at all. Its a shame actually, cause the story could have been a good one, but they appear to be followed by a load of idiots! I mean, Wimbledon, behave yourselves and pipe down ffs. I really dislike this lot and the Robinson stuff with their steward or whatever he was left a very bad taste. But anyway we won so fuck em haha!
    That good, because it looks like they’re going to be your main South London rivals for the foreseeable 😉
    wimbledon might be a shitty little club with shitty little fans and we may be temporarily sparring with them but there's no denying that they, like ourselves, have won a major trophy so once you've done similar - and you know that will never happen - you can condescend to us - good luck  :D   
    @golfaddick

No.

That's as maybe but you can't rewrite history. 

Once something happens then it becomes fact. Wimbledon beat Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup final. That is a fact & can't be disputed. AFC Wimbledon didnt come into being until 2002. 

Therefore AFC Wimbledon didnt win the FA Cup in 1988, nor did they play at Selhurst or play in the top flight of English football. What MKDons did after they moved & changed their name is also history. I don't agree with them giving AFC Wimbledon the trophy or their records. I live with it because its not my club & I dont really give a shit what 2 clubs decide to do between themselves but you cant say that AFC Wimbledon did this or that before 2000 because they didn't exist then.

Otherwise I might as well say I shot JFK & save Marina Oswald a lot of pain. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    PopIcon said:
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    @golfaddick

No.

The winner of the the 1988 FA Cup final no longer exists, there is no argument to be had. They are just the latest team on the list defuncted winners (eg Clapham Rovers, Blackburn Olympic and Bury).
    That's total bollox. The 1988 FA Cup final winners were Wimbledon who are now called MK Dons. They didnt go out of business or cease to exist. They merely moved grounds & renamed themselves. 

No different to Arsenal, or do Arsenal's previous honours not exist because they renamed themselves & moved North of the river.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    se9addick said:

What's going on?

If only I could......😂😂😂
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    @golfaddick

No.

Once something happens then it becomes fact. Wimbledon beat Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup final. That is a fact & can't be disputed. AFC Wimbledon didnt come into being until 2002. 

Therefore AFC Wimbledon didnt win the FA Cup in 1988, nor did they play at Selhurst or play in the top flight of English football. What MKDons did after they moved & changed their name is also history. I don't agree with them giving AFC Wimbledon the trophy or their records. I live with it because its not my club & I dont really give a shit what 2 clubs decide to do between themselves but you cant say that AFC Wimbledon did this or that before 2000 because they didn't exist then.

I'm sure we was in the running to sign JFK at one point 
  • Options
    edited February 2022

You want some?

Charlton Athletic:  A bit tasty.

How British Rail limited the butter on its sandwiches and other Station  Stories - National Railway Museum blog
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    @golfaddick

No.

The winner of the the 1988 FA Cup final no longer exists, there is no argument to be had. They are just the latest team on the list defuncted winners (eg Clapham Rovers, Blackburn Olympic and Bury).
    That's total bollox. The 1988 FA Cup final winners were Wimbledon who are now called MK Dons. They didnt go out of business or cease to exist. They merely moved grounds & renamed themselves. 

No different to Arsenal, or do Arsenal's previous honours not exist because they renamed themselves & moved North of the river.
    The Kent Senior Cup?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    RedChaser said:
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    @golfaddick

No.

I thought they handed the records to Merton Council, not AFC Wimbledon ?
    On 2 August 2007 (the renamed) MK Dons handed back the trophies won by Wimbledon FC to the London Borough of Merton.

AFC Wimbledon believe the honours of Wimbledon FC belong to the fans, as illustrated by the statement on their website:

"The supporters of AFC Wimbledon believe that our club ia a continuation of the spirit which formed Wimbledon Old Centrals in 1889 and kept Wimbledon Football Club alive until May 2002. 

We consider that a football club is not simply the legal entity which controls it, but that it is the community formed by the fans and players working towards a common goal. We therefore reproduce the honours won by what we believe was, and always will be, "our" club, in our community." 

Their fans can believe what they like but the facts are that AFC Wimbledon haven’t won the FA Cup. I just wonder though how we would have reacted to claims of having not won the cup in 1947 had AFC Charlton been formed post ESI 😲. Fortunately TS saved us from that tragedy. 

Their justification for being the “continuation” of Wimbledon FC (and thus FA Cup winners) is dangerously close to Palace’s justification for being the oldest professional team in the world, which is also total bollocks. 
    Jeez - it's not that bad!!
    Same as their claim to be returning home, when they kicked out nearly 100 years of dog racing and motor sport from Wimbledon stadium….. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    @golfaddick

No.

Not saying that you're wrong, but did Charlton Athletic (1984) not win the FA Cup?
    Just wondering where the line is drawn? 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Men are very territorial and it is in our baser nature to gather in like minded groups, for cameraderie, protection and to tear it up.  Football is an ideal foil for this sort of behaviour!

Women of course are worse.
    Well they might be if they didn’t all fall out with each other before getting the chance to confront another mob
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    If we’re going to sing songs that belong to other clubs’ rivals to wind that club up, I must insist we do it with our torch lights from our mobile phones on 
    One of the funniest things I noticed yesterday was,when the Upper Covered End started singing” What the fucking hell is that” I looked up and see loads of phone torches in the middle of that group being lowered or turned off as it was being sung…tickled me…😂😂

That was amusing.
    At the Fleetwood game there was more lights at the upper north than any where else, so I assumed they were singing to their selves ?
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    I don't really understand the angst against the torches, (aside our desire to describe anything and everything as 'embarrassing'), its young kids having harmless fun.

Let them crack on, there is a good chance they will be Charlton fans long after bald, fat, miserable dickheads like me have stopped moaning about what size gate the club publishes or the owner playing the guitar down a local pub. 

To get vexed by this whilst shouting 'fiissh' at the scoreboard seems strange, both are inoffensive and fairly unique to us.

Who cares what a few dozen away fans clad in Burberry and Stone Island think, 80% of our singing is to the same generic shi*t tune as the other 92 clubs anyway, that should be more a concern, the homogenous blandness of terrace chants. No one gets battered everywhere they go, not every opposition player is a sex offender and the places I visit are not always 'shitholes that make me want to go home'.   

Brilliant post. 

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Off_it said:
    What's so civil about war anyway?

Oxymoron.

Hat trick for Sam without reply.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:
    I don't really understand the angst against the torches, (aside our desire to describe anything and everything as 'embarrassing'), its young kids having harmless fun.

Let them crack on, there is a good chance they will be Charlton fans long after bald, fat, miserable dickheads like me have stopped moaning about what size gate the club publishes or the owner playing the guitar down a local pub. 

To get vexed by this whilst shouting 'fiissh' at the scoreboard seems strange, both are inoffensive and fairly unique to us.

Who cares what a few dozen away fans clad in Burberry and Stone Island think, 80% of our singing is to the same generic shi*t tune as the other 92 clubs anyway, that should be more a concern, the homogenous blandness of terrace chants. No one gets battered everywhere they go, not every opposition player is a sex offender and the places I visit are not always 'shitholes that make me want to go home'.   

Bosh, good post.

Its the school playground mentality of thinking you’re cooler than everyone else, most grow out of it by aged 16, some don’t.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

By which time they will have have taken on the mantle of bald fat miserable dickheadedness.  Keep the torch burning!
  • Options
    The torches don’t bother me but I can understand why some fans want to distance themselves from the act and make it clear that they don’t condone it. Otherwise these things go round social media and it ends up looking like it was done and enjoyed by all fans.