Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFC Wimbledon fans involved in incident at London Bridge

Comments

• Options
    YTS1978 said:
    On a more positive note, my connection was full of hartlepool fans. Brilliant atmosphere when they got to St Pancras, hundreds of them and loads of singing. Even my little one said it was quality! Good lads...
    Don't  you remember Hartlepool at the Valley two seasons running and their fans coming down  in reasonable numbers all dressed in the same costumes.  One season Omapalompas and the next year as Smurfs. Hilarious. 
    Yeah, I remember there was a great video doing to rounds of about 200 smurfs travelling down the escalator at some tube station haha! Top stuff.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    We enjoy the fun factor of Hartlepool fans dressing as Smurfs, but decry the fun factor of our twilight torch lights.
    It is intriguing to me that the lights seem to happen around the same point in the second half of games.
    Harmless.
    Obviously the boredom threshold for 8 year olds has been reached by then. Fed up with kicking seats they resort to their phones.
    I like the lights, it's harmless fun. I also like the reaction from the covered end which always makes me laugh!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    We enjoy the fun factor of Hartlepool fans dressing as Smurfs, but decry the fun factor of our twilight torch lights.
    It is intriguing to me that the lights seem to happen around the same point in the second half of games.
    Harmless.
    Harmless & also much safer than smoke bombs or flares.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Hang on, so someone shouted mk dons at afc  so they decided to attack some innocent bystanders/scarfers (whatever you want to call them)? It's banter ffs. They're gonna get a rude awakening if they keep behaving like that tbh. You don't do shit like that without someone taking exception to it later down the line.
    That's how they got their bully reputation in the non league 
    Well, they're in the big league now, so you dish it out, you have to take it back at some point I guess. No class this lot at all. Its a shame actually, cause the story could have been a good one, but they appear to be followed by a load of idiots! I mean, Wimbledon, behave yourselves and pipe down ffs. I really dislike this lot and the Robinson stuff with their steward or whatever he was left a very bad taste. But anyway we won so fuck em haha!
    That good, because it looks like they’re going to be your main South London rivals for the foreseeable 😉
    wimbledon might be a shitty little club with shitty little fans and we may be temporarily sparring with them but there's no denying that they, like ourselves, have won a major trophy so once you've done similar - and you know that will never happen - you can condescend to us - good luck  :D   
    @golfaddick

would you agree AFC Wimbledon won the cup?
    No.

They were only formed 20 years ago, so couldn't win the FA Cup in 1988.

But its not a difficult mistake to make, as our comms team did on Saturday. 
    MK Dons passed the recorded club history to them several years ago.
    You can’t just do that though. Man Utd could pass us their history but we’ll still know it’s not correct that we’ve won 20 league titles. At the end of the day, Wimbledon won the FA Cup in 1988, later moved to Milton Keynes and AFC Wimbledon were formed to replace the original Wimbledon. They are a new club. 
    They can do whatever they want if both parties agree and they agreed. Afc Wimbledon have triangular corner flags, Milton Keynes don't. On that basis the efl recognise afc as the cup winners and not Milton Keynes 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Hang on, so someone shouted mk dons at afc  so they decided to attack some innocent bystanders/scarfers (whatever you want to call them)? It's banter ffs. They're gonna get a rude awakening if they keep behaving like that tbh. You don't do shit like that without someone taking exception to it later down the line.
    Well, they're in the big league now, so you dish it out, you have to take it back at some point I guess. No class this lot at all. Its a shame actually, cause the story could have been a good one, but they appear to be followed by a load of idiots! I mean, Wimbledon, behave yourselves and pipe down ffs. I really dislike this lot and the Robinson stuff with their steward or whatever he was left a very bad taste. But anyway we won so fuck em haha!
    That good, because it looks like they’re going to be your main South London rivals for the foreseeable 😉
    wimbledon might be a shitty little club with shitty little fans and we may be temporarily sparring with them but there's no denying that they, like ourselves, have won a major trophy so once you've done similar - and you know that will never happen - you can condescend to us - good luck  :D   
    @golfaddick

No.

You can’t just do that though. Man Utd could pass us their history but we’ll still know it’s not correct that we’ve won 20 league titles. At the end of the day, Wimbledon won the FA Cup in 1988, later moved to Milton Keynes and AFC Wimbledon were formed to replace the original Wimbledon. They are a new club. 
    They can do whatever they want if both parties agree and they agreed. Afc Wimbledon have triangular corner flags, Milton Keynes don't. On that basis the efl recognise afc as the cup winners and not Milton Keynes 
    Maybe, but nobody else does. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    @golfaddick

No.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over whether over this and ultimately, don't care. I was just pointing out the fact that has made up my mind.

back to the important stuff....who won the fight?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I don’t think anyone is really angry/upset about the phone torch thing (I hope not). The “what the f***ing hell is that” chant is just a bit of pantomime in response. 

I have no problem with either, just a bit of fun. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    SE7toSG3 said:
    I don't really understand the angst against the torches, (aside our desire to describe anything and everything as 'embarrassing'), its young kids having harmless fun.

Let them crack on, there is a good chance they will be Charlton fans long after bald, fat, miserable dickheads like me have stopped moaning about what size gate the club publishes or the owner playing the guitar down a local pub. 

To get vexed by this whilst shouting 'fiissh' at the scoreboard seems strange, both are inoffensive and fairly unique to us.

Who cares what a few dozen away fans clad in Burberry and Stone Island think, 80% of our singing is to the same generic shi*t tune as the other 92 clubs anyway, that should be more a concern, the homogenous blandness of terrace chants. No one gets battered everywhere they go, not every opposition player is a sex offender and the places I visit are not always 'shitholes that make me want to go home'.   

Naturally I can't remember back 20/30 years, but I'm trying to recall what the terrace chants were like back then. It's a bit uninspiring now to hear the same "The **** boys, making all the noise, everywhere we go" at every ground, including non league ones
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @SE7toSG3 Brilliant Posts. The worst offenders were Pompey at The Valley. A fanbase who are usually unique but sang the same old rubbish which every other teams sings. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    DOUCHER said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Croydon said:
    YTS1978 said:
    @golfaddick

No.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over whether over this and ultimately, don't care. I was just pointing out the fact that has made up my mind.

back to the important stuff....who won the fight?
    The "Only FA Cup winners can used triangular corner flags" story is a myth by the way
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    SE7toSG3 said:
    SE7toSG3 said:
    I don't really understand the angst against the torches, (aside our desire to describe anything and everything as 'embarrassing'), its young kids having harmless fun.

Let them crack on, there is a good chance they will be Charlton fans long after bald, fat, miserable dickheads like me have stopped moaning about what size gate the club publishes or the owner playing the guitar down a local pub. 

To get vexed by this whilst shouting 'fiissh' at the scoreboard seems strange, both are inoffensive and fairly unique to us.

Who cares what a few dozen away fans clad in Burberry and Stone Island think, 80% of our singing is to the same generic shi*t tune as the other 92 clubs anyway, that should be more a concern, the homogenous blandness of terrace chants. No one gets battered everywhere they go, not every opposition player is a sex offender and the places I visit are not always 'shitholes that make me want to go home'.   

Naturally I can't remember back 20/30 years, but I'm trying to recall what the terrace chants were like back then. It's a bit uninspiring now to hear the same "The **** boys, making all the noise, everywhere we go at every ground, including non league ones
    That's a really good point, certainly in the 70s and 80's everyone sang versions of 'ere we go' or 'you'll never walk alone', its just that Liverpool and Celtic made the latter theirs so it still works today. 

That's why 'VFR', 'Goodbye Horse' and 'Yippie aye ay' work for us, we may not have invented them or be the only club to sing a version, its just far less common that many of todays generic offerings. I don't mind 'something tells me I'm into something good' because its only heard at a handful of places.

But, as you rightly point out, is it really the 4 pissed Stevenage fans coming back from Crawley that are making all the noise everywhere they go? 

This year we have seen Ipswich and Plymouth both fill the away end, I can honestly say that I don't recall a single 'identity' song from either and that's quite sad so its not a Charlton specific issue.

There must be a historic thread somewhere about what chants really are club specific, 'She wore a Yellow Ribbon' for Arsenal, 'Keep Right On' for Birmingham or 'Goodnight Irene' at Bristol Rovers being good examples. 

At Hartlepool our travelling support gave a fantastic, drunken, slightly menacing slow version of 'we are Charlton' another that is by no means exclusive to us , but, at that tempo, I thought it a brilliant foil to the Hartlepool fans go at 'every Saturday we follow'. As much as I enjoy singing our own version of that song, its the vocal equivalent of those fake banners you see placed up by the club at identikit stadiums that say things like 'Johnny Nobody Captain, Leader, Legend'  Burton, Shrewsbury in particular.               

"Vexed" What are you 16 or something?  : - )
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    se9addick said:
    The increase in aggro around football since the return of fans would make a good dissertation subject for someone’s psychology degree. I would have assumed a global pandemic killing millions would have provided some perspective and actually reduced some of the silliness. 

Hopefully it calms down soon. 
    This weekend a Leicester fan attacked a Forest player after they scored. A Rotherham fan kicked the ball before an Accrington player could take the penalty then attacked him. The comments on that instagram link are disgraceful.

What's going on?
    It amazes me that anyone is surprised.

People have had their lives turned upside down these last two years and they feel that it was unnecessary. They are seething with anger.
    You may not feel that way but many do.

If we discuss online why many feel that way and you don't, it doesn't address the issue. I once hoped that on a forum like this we could discuss issues of the day and weigh things up, but everyone seems entrenched in their camp.  

Over the last two years we've tackled the problem by the philosophy of one camp.

The media won't entertain any philosophical debate on anything, and if there's any dissent it gets shouted down. Unfortunately, it's always easy to find a ridiculous section of the group who think differently, diffuse that around the media, get those with most screen time to repeat the mantra so that everyone believes it, and make the in-way of thinking seem right, and make any other way of thinking seem wrong by labelling it 'selfish', 'rascist' 'phobic' etc

This goes for COVID, BLM, LGBTQism and all the other nonsense. 

The other camp are fed up and angry. The young working class with no other solution manifest this anger in violence but there are thousands of others who feel this way and do nothing (yet?). It could end in civil war imo.

Exclusive footage of a stand off at London Bridge

Captain America Civil War 2016 - IMDb
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    The increase in aggro around football since the return of fans would make a good dissertation subject for someone’s psychology degree. I would have assumed a global pandemic killing millions would have provided some perspective and actually reduced some of the silliness. 

This weekend a Leicester fan attacked a Forest player after they scored. A Rotherham fan kicked the ball before an Accrington player could take the penalty then attacked him. The comments on that instagram link are disgraceful.

What's going on?

People have had their lives turned upside down these last two years and they feel that it was unnecessary. They are seething with anger.

If we discuss online why many feel that way and you don't, it doesn't address the issue. I once hoped that on a forum like this we could discuss issues of the day and weigh things up, but everyone seems entrenched in their camp.  

Over the last two years we've tackled the problem by the philosophy of one camp.

The media won't entertain any philosophical debate on anything, and if there's any dissent it gets shouted down. Unfortunately, it's always easy to find a ridiculous section of the group who think differently, diffuse that around the media, get those with most screen time to repeat the mantra so that everyone believes it, and make the in-way of thinking seem right, and make any other way of thinking seem wrong by labelling it 'selfish', 'rascist' 'phobic' etc

The other camp are fed up and angry. The young working class with no other solution manifest this anger in violence but there are thousands of others who feel this way and do nothing (yet?). It could end in civil war imo.
    3 lols. You may laugh but the civil war bit at the end only came to me to write because my student said that to me earlier. He went way off topic but I let him carry on. He was complaining about how the media simplify everything too much, and how he has to explain so much to his employees to overcome that.
    This is a CEO of a company with about 40 employees. I was surprised when he said he thinks that they'll be a civil war. It's not really me saying that to be honest but I can't say that I think he's too far off the mark either. 

I don't know if the 3 people clicking on lol are the same as the 2 saying that they don't understand the violence, but if so therein lies the problem.

• Options
    @SE7toSG3 Brilliant Posts. The worst offenders were Pompey at The Valley. A fanbase who are usually unique but sang the same old rubbish which every other teams sings. 
    Pompey (at home certainly) have their bell at least, which is pretty unique!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    se9addick said:

What's going on?

3 lols. You may laugh but the civil war bit at the end only came to me to write because my student said that to me earlier. He went way off topic but I let him carry on. He was complaining about how the media simplify everything too much, and how he has to explain so much to his employees to overcome that.
    This is a CEO of a company with about 40 employees. I was surprised when he said he thinks that they'll be a civil war. It's not really me saying that to be honest but I can't say that I think he's too far off the mark either. 

I don't know if the 3 people clicking on lol are the same as the 2 saying that they don't understand the violence, but if so therein lies the problem.

So they'll be trouble because we're being to nice to black and gay people, is the TLDR of your rants. 
    And covid is a hoax.
  • Options
    Although one of the most annoying things I have heard for years !!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    se9addick said:

What's going on?

To use a well worn generic chant from the old days

"What a load of rubbish"

I do love a reference to "It could end in civil war".   Being reading/hearing that since the 1970s and it was probably around before then but I was too young. 

Wishful thinking by wannabe soldiers who watched too many war films and read too much nonsense from other idiots on the internet.

Ask your dickhead CEO who the sides will be in this war and what his role will be?
  • Options
    Is it in the bell end?
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    se9addick said:

What's going on?

So they'll be trouble because we're being to nice to black and gay people, is the TLDR of your rants. 
    And covid is a hoax.
    It's not about being nice (or not) to black or gay people, and neither did I say that Covid19 is a hoax.
    You don't have to think Covid19 is a hoax to be against all the rules and restrictions.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    se9addick said:

What's going on?

I don't think that's logical...why then in the absence of the "woke" culture back in the 70s and 80s were fans kicking the granny out of each other on the terraces weekly and earlier than that in 50s and 60s Teddy Boys and Mods and Rockers etc.

Were the 80s hoolies taking a stand and kicking off in protest at the bananas being chucked on pitches and regular monkey chants etc?  

I don't think people are running on pitches lumping players and throwing bottles and fighting at football because they're fed up with people taking the knee or gay rights...young men, (and sad middle aged ones) have always been angry at society and enjoyed fighting*.

Twas' ever thus.  

That's not to say that the anger or disenfranchisement/ marginalisation that people may feel because of their perception of how things are changing (the perceived culture war/ "woke culture" to use the easily recognisable term which is being exploited by extremes from both sides of the political spectrum to keep the divide and rule ethos turning perpetually) and a perceived  vulnerability in that respect may well add to it but I don't think it can be allayed as the entire root cause.

*When I say enjoy fighting I mean when it is on their own terms....ie. in the relatively "safe" and controlled environment of football.  I don't expect those in the trenches or wars throughout recent generations in real fights thought much other than sheer terror....and those poor souls genuinely had a hell of a lot to be angry and bitter about.  The old boy in football factory summed this up perfectly.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

What's going on?

To use a well worn generic chant from the old days

"What a load of rubbish"

I do love a reference to "It could end in civil war".   Being reading/hearing that since the 1970s and it was probably around before then but I was too young. 

Wishful thinking by wannabe soldiers who watched too many war films and read too much nonsense from other idiots on the internet.

Ask your dickhead CEO who the sides will be in this war and what his role will be?
    It's a fair question at the end, but maybe you shouldn't call my opinions 'rubbish' or call my student a dickhead.

It's like I said in my post - it's impossible to discuss these matters sensibly on here.

You're referring to a 'dickhead CEO' who has on average 3/40 employees off work (to satisfy a protocol) for a whole week every week despite them not actually being sick. He's losing company time and money over it and he's sick of it 

It's absurd that I get a reaction like that because people were questioning why there's more violence and I was giving an answer, which is one answer more than any of you who are mocking me have done.