Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2022

Comments

• Options
    Oh cool, they went for Fisher ahead of Parkinson, that's what all our fans wanted to happen
  • Options
    Wood and Robinson both miss the second Test, Mahmood plays
    And Overton misses out too. Mahmood and Fisher to debut and Woakes lucky to keep his place.

We've won the toss and will bat.
    Overton is unwell. So we now have 2 injured bowlers and 1 sick one, not even including Archer and Stone
  • Options
    Zak continues to be hit or miss in his scoring...
  • Options
    You watch a race at Cheltenham and flick back to see Crawley is gone - caught behind trying not to play the ball
  • Options
    Must be weird for the Windies players playing in front of a largely English crowd, effectively as part of the tourism industry
  • Options
    Wood and Robinson both miss the second Test, Mahmood plays
    And Overton misses out too. Mahmood and Fisher to debut and Woakes lucky to keep his place.

We've won the toss and will bat.
    Overton is unwell. So we now have 2 injured bowlers and 1 sick one, not even including Archer and Stone
    And with the two big ones not picked for the tour, that means there are probably seven seamers who might have been picked in front of the three that were.
  • Options
    Incredible to think that, in the list of West Indies wicket takers, the quartet of Marshall (3rd - 376), Garner (5th - 359), Holding (6th - 249) and Roberts (9th - 202) all operated during much the same period. Though Walsh (1st - 519) and Ambrose (2nd - 405) did likewise.  
  • Options
    Lees is a slightly more refined version of Sibley - 18* off 104

52-1 off 33 overs

Root 34* (87) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

52-1 off 33 overs

Root 34* (87) 
    His facial expressions are a bit Cook like too
  • Options

52-1 off 33 overs

Root 34* (87) 
    His facial expressions are a bit Cook like too
    Lees is now on 22 off 116 balls with just 9 scoring shots in that time. Noticed that his bat face closes a lot when he drives which is why he doesn't generate any timing or power.
  • Options
    Incredible to think that, in the list of West Indies wicket takers, the quartet of Marshall (3rd - 376), Garner (5th - 359), Holding (6th - 249) and Roberts (9th - 202) all operated during much the same period. Though Walsh (1st - 519) and Ambrose (2nd - 405) did likewise.  
    Also
    Wayne Daniel and Sylvester Clarke ain't on the list.
    Unbelievable amount of world class fast bowlers they had back then.
  • Options
    Not sure what Lees was doing there - I understand that he doesn't want to take the bouncer on but that wasn't short enough to duck and as is the modern way, he doesn't watch the ball either. 
  • Options

52-1 off 33 overs

Root 34* (87) 
    Agreed but despite closing the bat face ( a fault shared with Crawley) I have always thought that he would be a better bet than burns, sibley and Hameed...time will tell of course 
  • Options
    Saw the 5th day of the Pakistan v Australia test all the way through earlier today...cant help but notice the difference  in the quality of the cricket 
  • Options
    Root reaches his 50 and then Lees is out LBW yet again. This time Root persuades him not to review

80-2

Lees 30 (138)
    Root 50* (125)
  • Options
    lolwray said:

52-1 off 33 overs

Root 34* (87) 
    Agreed but despite closing the bat face ( a fault shared with Crawley) I have always thought that he would be a better bet than burns, sibley and Hameed...time will tell of course 
    Really difficult to judge, as facing this attack on a slow pitch doing nothing is a different test than facing the Aussies down under.

Indeed there's a side of me that thinks that if he had played in the Ashes instead of Burns or Hameed, then he'd have been the one sitting at home watching on TV, having been dropped

Similarly Zak has benefited from being out of the side at the start of the Ashes, so he gets this series as well to try and establish himself.
  • Options
    Root reaches his 50 and then Lees is out LBW yet again. This time Root persuades him not to review

80-2

Lees 30 (138)
    Root 50* (125)
    "Sorry Alex, but you're not established enough to waste a speculative LBW on. Once you reach 20 Tests, you're then allowed to burn reviews as you please"
  • Options
    Second only to Mike Atherton, who wasn't exactly a top white ball player as well!

In total Babar batted for 603 minutes, making his knock the second longest in the fourth innings of a Test after former England captain Michael Atherton's famous 185 not out against South Africa in 1995, which lasted 643 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:

52-1 off 33 overs

Root 34* (87) 
    Absolutely though I still struggle with the concept that so many of our batsmen are so unorthodox. I cannot recall a batsman having to check the starting position of his bat as much as Lees has to and that suggests that he has had a history of the bat not coming down straight.

We know that so many of our batsmen look so different from say their Indian counterparts and I remain convinced that this is a legacy of coaches over here being scared to correct bat habits at an early age. I'm sure most people would expect that this would be done if and when they might reach county age group standard but, in my experience, it isn't and the ends justify the means i.e. if a lad is scoring runs at that age then there is a reluctance to intervene. As they move up levels, however, they get found out and consequently, as T20 doesn't have the same technical demands (the white ball doesn't do anything like as much and you can't get caught at third slip anyway) there is a natural migration to white ball which leaves a massive hole so far as the pool of up and coming batsmen in red ball is concerned. 

Which is why I think that someone like Ollie Robinson at Kent is suffering for the fact that he keeps and bats at 6 or 7. He's not an obvious T20 batsman but is technically sound (coached by dad and stepdad) and on the occasions that he has been pushed up the order he has done well in the CC. Quite how he gets his name in the frame as a potential England batsman I do not know with the situation as it stands but I remain unconvinced that most of the batsmen we've had opening at international level are any better. 
  • Options
    I much prefer the Windies wickets from yesteryear. 
    These are more like wickets in the sub continent 
  • Options
    Shame about the other 2 clowns shirts 
    Saw you in the queue to get in. You were about 30 mins behind us just turning away from ground.

• Options
    Have to take the track and attack into consideration but Lawrence is looking more and more comfortable in the job and Root finally burying the notion in his own head that he can't bat at 3. Both being really positive.
  • Options
    My eldest son is out there watching the game too and what with the youngest in Australia, my wife seems to have the raging hump that we aren't somewhere exotic. I have tried to convince her that there aren't many places better than Sidcup at this time of year. Or any time of year in fact. 
  • Options
    Have to take the track and attack into consideration but Lawrence is looking more and more comfortable in the job and Root finally burying the notion in his own head that he can't bat at 3. Both being really positive.
    Lawrence has played well, but coming in at 80-2 after 45 overs with easy conditions is a perfect scenario for him really. I imagine Dawid Malan must be looking on enviously!
  • Options
    Lawrence has played well, but coming in at 80-2 after 45 overs with easy conditions is a perfect scenario for him really. I imagine Dawid Malan must be looking on enviously!
    I'm not sure Malan would be 50 off 62 as Lawrence is. Malan struggles to score that fast in T20.
  • Options
    183-2

Root 100* (199)
    Lawrence 50* (62)
  • Options
    My eldest son is out there watching the game too and what with the youngest in Australia, my wife seems to have the raging hump that we aren't somewhere exotic. I have tried to convince her that there aren't many places better than Sidcup at this time of year. Or any time of year in fact. 
    Didn’t the beach come to Sidcup today? (Some sand at least?)