Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

edited February 2022 in General Charlton
Some of the more charitable amongst us may even give a welcome to our ex-manager Karl Robinson, who today brings his playoff pursuing Oxford to a windy Valley.

Whatever you think of Mr Gobby, apart from his ability to speak unintelligibly forever without pausing for breath, he always tries to put a decent passing footballing side out on the park.

Jacko says:“Karl’s obviously coming back to his former club, he’s going to want to win that game but so are we. We’ll be competitive, we’ll be matching them stride for stride and hopefully we’ll come out on the right end of it.”

Can we do that if all 3 of our experienced strikers are still missing; and new midfield playmaker Scott Fraser? Maybe another youngster to make his debut - rumour has it that Tyreece Campbell is on the bench? Well, we'll just have to manage best we can. There was a hint from Jacko in his presser that he's going to adapt the team to make up for the absentees.

Charlton: MacGillivray; Clare, Inniss (c), Purrington; Matthews, Gilbey, Dobson, Morgan, Jaiyesimi; Leko, Lee

Subs: Harness, Famewo, Pearce, Lavelle, John, Campbell, Burstow

Charlton TV today features host Scott Minto, Curbs and special guest ex Ass. Manager Mervyn Day.
Starts at 2.15pm.

COYR!

Comments

• edited February 2022
    See that the usual crew will be joined in the studio by Mark Fish, and Mervyn Day, should be a good catch up and memories, looking forward to this one.... B)
  • Charlton Athletic FC@CAFCofficial
    🐟 @markfish74 will be joining the lads in the CharltonTV studio this afternoon! 

Join @iamscottminto, Curbs and Mervyn Day for all the build-up to the game from 2.15pm

• Charlton Athletic FC@CAFCofficial·1hA touchline reunion this afternoon 

• Remember the good old days when Mr Gobby was still manager ..... about 2hrs before ko, he'd release a vid telling everybody his lineup, gameplan and explaining the match tactics in detail.

He never did quite understand how the opposition sussed out and nullified all his detailed gameplan. :smile:

• Cmon you Addicks!
  • edited February 2022
    So we don't have a recognised Striker starting today. Well none of our other players are allowed to score, so should have stayed at home
  • Lee up top with Leko then?
  • What's the formation then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Why is Purrington still playing at centre half ? 
  • Oggy Red said:
    Remember the good old days when Mr Gobby was still manager ..... about 2hrs before ko, he'd release a vid telling everybody his lineup, gameplan and explaining the match tactics in detail.

He never did quite understand how the opposition sussed out and nullified all his detailed gameplan. :smile:

Looking forward to today's video about Oxford then eh!!.. B)
  • Make or break for Leko imo
  • 3 Central defenders on the bench 
    And only one in the side, with no strikers.  Anyone else losing faith ?  Some sympathy with strikers out - I assume Kanu is also injured .  
  • Plenty of centre backs on the bench, let's hope we'll have a lead to defend as we'll be stuffed if we need to score
  • edited February 2022
    What's the formation then?
    Formation is,..They all line up and run towards the opposition goal with the ball...hopefully at their feet, and put it into the big netty thing at the other end of the pitch as many times as they can,...Oh and stop those pesky Oxford lot doing the same... B)
  • To me it looks like the same formation with Matthews on the right, DJ on the left. Central three of Dobson, Morgan and Gilbey. Lee and Leko up front.

Or Jacko could surprise us all and go with my suggestion of Lee and DJ up front... :-)
  • 3 strikers, Fraser and CBT all missing...
  • Sponsored links:

• It gets worse every week. We do actually have recognised strikers at the club, albeit young or off to Chelsea, but we are refusing to play them. Nothing I've seen from Leko has shown me that he is a striker. 

Jacko is either very smart or very stupid. 
  • To me it looks like the same formation with Matthews on the right, DJ on the left. Central three of Dobson, Morgan and Gilbey. Lee and Leko up front.

Or Jacko could surprise us all and go with my suggestion of Lee and DJ up front... :-)
    You got it right first time round. 
  • 1 man's dream of completely phasing out the need for actual centre backs.
  • “Just spread out”. Deja vu. 
  • What's the formation then?
    3-7-0,,, make that 3-6-0 Morgan is on the pitch !!😜🥱🗝, all joking apart that side is very concerning, really finding it hard to be positive about us at the moment.
  • I see, apart from Tyreece Campbell, the Spurs loanee Nile John is also included on the bench.

I still don't get playing with only 1 recognised CB ...... to me, that really doesn't make sense, unless it's a reaction to Oxford's gameplan and Jacko thinks he can get away with it in order to strengthen midfield?

• wmcf123 said:
    3 Central defenders on the bench 
    And only one in the side, with no strikers.  Anyone else losing faith ?  Some sympathy with strikers out - I assume Kanu is also injured .  

If you look at what's available on the bench, I think it makes a lot more sense.

Clare has been (for the most part) very good on the right of a back three. I'd rather have him there than any of the options on the bench.

On the other side, it's a battle between Purrington and Famewo. Given how Famewo has been playing lately, I'm not surprised we've gone with the "steady eddy" in Benaldo Purringtinho.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!