Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Jacko always tries to sound positive with his pre match chat, and is talking about a tweak, so let's see what this tweak is, must be really moral sapping with so many out, 3-5-2 it is with Lee up to top with Leko.. :/
  • Options
    Anyone else having issues with Charlton Player app on the iPhone? I’m getting “entitlement check failed”.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    One recognised centre half playing, three on the bench. Absolute madness. Have sympathy with the striking situation but why play with only one centre half? Is JJ trying to lose his job?
    It's an absolute nonsense. We need some height in the team if nothing else. JJ has lost the plot. If he needs 1 of the centre backs to be ball-playing, then let's give Elerewe some match time.

Pathetic.
    Clare and Lavelle are both 6 ft 2, but as Clare is seen as a midfielder I guess we deduct 4 inches?
    Ok I'll rephrase, we need more than just Innis to win defensive corners.
    Watch what happens when we concede a corner today. Mass panic, same as last week I assume.
    We do but I get why he’s left Famewo out, he’s not been playing well and causing us problems when he gets on the ball.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Scoham said:
    One recognised centre half playing, three on the bench. Absolute madness. Have sympathy with the striking situation but why play with only one centre half? Is JJ trying to lose his job?
    It's an absolute nonsense. We need some height in the team if nothing else. JJ has lost the plot. If he needs 1 of the centre backs to be ball-playing, then let's give Elerewe some match time.

Pathetic.
    Clare and Lavelle are both 6 ft 2, but as Clare is seen as a midfielder I guess we deduct 4 inches?
    Watch what happens when we concede a corner today. Mass panic, same as last week I assume.
    Maybe Craig mac.Has been practising not getting stuck on his line.
    I suspect he shares the same concerns, but in any case, isn't McGillivray's aerial weakness another reason for us to select some centre backs who can win headers?

You have to wonder what Famewo and Lavelle must be thinking at this stage. Innis must also be wondering what's going on beside him.
  • Options
    Jacko says they’ve been working on a “tactical tweak” during the week that involves bringing Ablie back into the team in the place of Burstow.
    Sounds ominous!
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    I think I might switch the coverage on and not bother with the match thread today with all the moaning, blimey.

Six wins in eight home games under Jacko. I think he might have some idea what he's doing.
    Maybe he should apply himself and know what he’s doing when goes away then. What ever way we try and polish this up, that side doesn’t fill anyone with confidence I’d say, looking a bit Bowyeresque random. Not all JJs fault but don’t exaggerate the issue with poor positional selections. We may get a point if we keep a clean sheet.🤷🏻‍♂️
    It amazes me that people think a bloke who’s been in the game for 20+ years as a player, coach and now manager is so stupid that he can’t see that he’s got three defenders on the bench.

He knows. He just needs players on those positions that have different qualities.
  • Options
    I wonder how many times a team have started with just 1 centre back and no strikers - can’t imagine its very often.
  • Options
    Shit journey down today (left home just before 10, parked at 1:40) and now just seen the team.

Underwhelmed is an understatement.

Hey ho, 'twas ever thus.

Come on you rip-roaring, shocking-defending, non-goal-scoring Addicks!
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    It is puzzling. Just hoping JJ’s got it right and Charlton Life has got it wrong.
    It is very Charlton to get a result today, ( the old Charlton anyway), but I’m really clutching at straws in saying that. A betting man would love Oxford today.
  • Options

👀
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was going to stay up for it but saw the team and thought there is really no point. 

Now I think I will watch just out of morbid curiosity.  
  • Options
    Who is Campbell?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Thought Lavelle would start. Thought Famewo might start. Thought it just about possible that Pearce might start. 
    But none of them?!
    Really a bit shocked by that. Are Oxford a small team? I know they don’t play the long ball game, but even so. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Pathetic.
    We do but I get why he’s left Famewo out, he’s not been playing well and causing us problems when he gets on the ball.
    Clare has been responsible for 3 goals in the past 3 games though... I agree Famewo is rubbish on the ball but he's a better defender than Clare. As I say, put Elerewe in the Clare role and prepare for next season. Clare should not be a CB next season please...
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

👀
    Diallang JaiyeMessi as the false 9… surely not?
  • Options
    Maybe JJ  has been on the phone to PEP,Man city aren’t playing with strikers!!!, I think we’ll be ok Jonny guardiola here we come!!!!!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Who is Campbell?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Valley11 said:
    Who is Campbell?
    Youth team, FA mentioned him in the pre match thread IIRC.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:
    Anyone else having issues with Charlton Player app on the iPhone? I’m getting “entitlement check failed”.
    cut out completely ... now back
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Forgot to bring my glasses today. Last two times I've done that it's been a boring nil nil draw. I'd settle for that looking at the team we have out..COYA!
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Who is Campbell?

Wichita Lineman? Who’s the ref? 😉
  • Options
    The weather looks absolutely dreadful. 
  • Options
    Stockley is actually fit and available today, but has been dropped after a blazing row with Jacko over ketchup
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Pathetic.
    Clare has been responsible for 3 goals in the past 3 games though... I agree Famewo is rubbish on the ball but he's a better defender than Clare. As I say, put Elerewe in the Clare role and prepare for next season. Clare should not be a CB next season please...
    Agree on Deji though I don’t think we should write Clare off in that position, he’s been very good in that role until those last 3 games. Just because he labels himself as a midfielder doesn’t mean he can’t do well longer term at RCB.
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Forgot to bring my glasses today. Last two times I've done that it's been a boring nil nil draw. I'd settle for that looking at the team we have out..COYA!
    Might have done yourself a favour 😉
  • Options
    Hopefully JJ has a cunning plan and it will pay off but feck mr that starting team looks bang in trouble !
    Anyone know where Deji is ? I dont see the point in having 3 CB's on the bench  when we are so light up front. If it works then hats off JJ but if it doesnt your are doing yourself no favours. Leko @ Morgan upfront is screaming goal threat to me
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Who is Campbell?
    Alan Campbell, of course. He's making his comeback. :wink:

• Options
    playing with 3 false nines ? .. all the proper 9s are crocked
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    Valley11 said:
    Who is Campbell?
    Youth team, FA mentioned him in the pre match thread IIRC.
    Nippy winger, quite small, has definitely made an impression in the youth games I've seen. Will be interesting to see if he gets on how he deals with more experienced defenders.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!