Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 26th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    Another grim day.

Only positives are firstly that we still have an eight point cushion from the relegation places. Secondly we still have to play 3 of the present bottom 4. I we win those (or even don't lose those) we should be alright with the odd draw on top.

Jacko took over with us embedded in the relegation zone. It will be a success, this season, having climbed out of it to stay out of it.
  • Options
    Number of SWFC fans saying we are comfortably the worst team they've seen this season. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    lonman said:
    Matthews and innis more interested in tapping birds up on twitter than playing for Charlton. 
    Inniss? You for real? He's been an absolute warrior when played. Sure Matthews has been a donkey, but don't lump Ryan in with him.
    Do warriors get muscle strains?
  • Options
    To the young, immature ‘fans’ trying to stir it up at the Leppings Lane tram stop after the game; grow up you pathetic Neanderthal mugwuffins! 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Great day out with my sons, godson and mate, only spoiled by the 2 hours of the game.

This team is hopeless. If we can get the 3 main strikers back we will be competitive again in matches but overall this squad is no better than mid table 3rd Division.

We are hoping the owner has learned lessons from the recruitment nonsense of last summer, judging by his handing of the free tickets, I'm sceptical whether he is learning/listening and just carry on blindly, which overall is costing him money and wasting a lot of our time
  • Options
    To the young, immature ‘fans’ trying to stir it up at the Leppings Lane tram stop after the game; grow up you pathetic Neanderthal mugwuffins! 
    That'll tell em 
  • Options
    Just got home, I’m absolutely shattered. I feel embarrassed that this group of players represent the club I love. Our fans literally took the piss out of our players today and it’s was the only thing worth the journey. Can’t believe how poor they all are. Famewo couldn’t keep the ball on the pitch and that pass in the second half by Purrington summed it all up. Absolute arseholes.
    Noticed this a few times now, same as Leko constantly getting caught offside which someone pointed out on the Match Thread. 

Is it because some of em lack respect for Jacko as the manager, resulting in zero discipline and things like the above? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    That'll tell em 
    It’s ‘learn’ em

(PS: I blame covid and the covidiot anti-vax brigade!)
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    That'll tell em 
    It’s ‘learn’ em

(PS: I blame covid and the covidiot anti-vax brigade!)
    Right ... 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    Number of SWFC fans saying we are comfortably the worst team they've seen this season. 
    Hard to argue with that when you consider Famewo in the second half, Dobson falling over himself and that pass from Purrington 
  • Options
    Whilst we all seem to agree a clear out is needed with a new batch of players coming in it does not mean it will happen and match our expectations.

I may be wrong but I do not get the impression Thomas wants to throw 3 million plus at a new squad nor am I sure he has it.

We have to be honest and say we will get very little in transfer fees for the players we have so he will need to dig deep, very deep.

I suspect we will put a new squad together but my fear is it will be made up of loans, inexperienced kids and knackered old journeymen again.

I hope I am wrong 
    You may well be right but it doesn't stop us getting rid of the out of contract players that are letting us down plus loans and recruiting other clubs out of contract players, who have more to offer and fight.

Especially better players at unfashionable clubs who would likely bite our hands off to join.

I would imagine there are some good players on less money than ours who would grasp the opportunity of playing for us. 
  • Options
    Love Jacko to bits but he isn’t up to this gig
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Jacko now faces a problem that every manager of clubs below the Premiership face, contracts running down and players looking elsewhere. We have seen it over the years with players allegedly injured or not putting in a shift, I look at the side and wonder if, even without the strikers, have some players put their all in. I think with the forwards returning, Fraser getting back to fitness and Jacko able to put a side out that he trusts, we will be ok. Even if we finish just outside the play offs or just outside the relegation places, next season we should not be signing players who are only here because no one else wants them and certainly not on one year contracts, knowing that they are here just to earn a wage for twelve months. 
    I'll remind you of that when come late July we are still waiting to sign players & posters on here keep telling us to be patient & that we have until the end of August before the window shuts...  .
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    lonman said:
    Matthews and innis more interested in tapping birds up on twitter than playing for Charlton. 
    Inniss? You for real? He's been an absolute warrior when played. Sure Matthews has been a donkey, but don't lump Ryan in with him.
    Do warriors get muscle strains?
    Probably but not at the moment

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/injuries/_/name/gs/golden-state-warriors
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    On the coach heading back home. 
    What another shower of shite. 

Forget injuries 
    Forget poor refs 
    Forget bad luck.

These things apply to every team in the league and not just us.

The bottom line is that this group of players are not good enough. 

Where we go from here depends on how deep Sandgaard s  pockets are but one thing is certain without a major overhaul nothing will change. 
    We had a major overhaul last summer and things have got even worse. What makes you think this summer will be any different.

We have around 10 players out of contract or going due to being on loan. Then you have to think about replacing some of the players already under contract that you might not want like Kirk or Gilbey. So you are looking at 12 or so players that you need to recruit. And our recent record of this sort of "churn" has not been good.
    Not really. We signed Stockley early and then there was the long waiting period during which our '1st choice targets' signed for other clubs.

Pretty close to the beginning of the season, we signed MacKeeper, Clare, Dobson plus resigned Matthews and Famewo. Then once the season had already started, the winger from Crewe followed by the deadline day signings of Lee, Leko and Scott Parker's brother-in-law.

Maybe I've forgotten someone but you get my point - it wasn't a major overhaul: we let go/lost players and loans, replacing them with anyone else who still happened to be available at the last minute. They weren't our 1st choices but we were getting desperate and they plugged some holes in the squad.

We really can't afford to muck about like that this coming summer. We need our list of targets now and approaches made as soon as it's ethically possible to do so. We've already started, signing Aneke and Fraser.

And players not just signed for their ability on the ball - we need proper characters who will fit into a team unit that has the will to win.

That's where we need to do our homework.

If you dont think signing 10 players is a major overhaul then I despair. SG is on record saying that he hopes that by signing players on longer contracts (Kirk 5 years & Aneke 3.5) then we wont be needing to do it every summer......but here we are discussing the need to replace half a dozen out of contract players plus filling the 6 spaces left by the loanees. 

• Options
    My son was at the game, just texted me the following:- 
    I don't know what the problem is but that was a relegation fodder performance totally lacking in quality or heart. Worried now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry, but any massive clear out, should include Jackson. He is completely clueless what to do…….. ! He will put us in league 2 before he puts us in the Championship.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
     Jacko said pre-match:

“When we get some of those guys back we will be stronger – I’ve no doubt we will improve,” Jackson said. “It’s difficult at the moment but I want to finish the season strongly and get a feel-good factor – end the season on a positive note".

“Then we can go away, get the summer exactly how we want it – recruit well and recruit early – get our group together and come back with one aim, which will be to get promoted next season."

There's evidently going to be a bit of a clear out this summer. Some players may already know or suspect they are not going to be here next season.
    Like Powell was 'son of Curbs', Jacko may have learned a lot from his old Charlton manager. He was one of the few survivors of the big culling, when Chris Powell put together a rebuilt squad, "recruiting well and recruiting early".

We seem to be seeing the same pattern as when Chris Powell took over ..... he inherited a side that either couldn't or wouldn't play the way he wanted.
    So he sacked off most of his squad and brought in new players that would play his way.

Just my own thoughts, of course.

Jackson can say what he likes. Adkins said the same thing after the Hull game last season & Sandgarrd said we were going to "blow through this league".

Talk is cheap. Actions speak louder & so far I've seen nothing over the last 18 months to make me think that we will be any better off next season. 
    It's clear as day, there's going to be a clearout. Jacko has been dropping hints in his interviews for the past few weeks. He's urging players to play for their futures if they want to be here next season. It's equally clear some players are not busting a gut; perhaps they already know or suspect they'll be gone?

Adkins himself was dealt the short straw. He was promised good players and maybe there were several targets that eventually signed for other clubs, either at Championship level or just elsewhere for a bigger dollar ..... but they didn't sign for Charlton. Adkins could barely put out a match fit 1st team in August. The players he eventually got, were hopelessly unfit when they signed weeks after the season had already started. That fact alone killed our season right from the first few games.

You'd hope lessons have been learned this time around, and that "recruiting well and recruiting early" has already began in the Janury window with the signing of Aneke and Fraser. There's also been changes in practices involving the recruitment team, which is now more streamlined.

I can't say I'm happy about any set up that includes sandgaards son.

If he's proving capable and respected for what he's doing by other key members of the recruitment team, what is the problem?

Being part of a team I doubt we'll ever know if he's proving capable or being respected for what he's doing by other key members of the recruitment team. Personally in such an important role as player recruitment I would prefer someone with at least a bit of experience in professional football to be our Director of recruitment analysis. The only experience seemingly required at the moment is to be the son of the owner. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    J BLOCK said:
    That'll tell em 
    J BLOCK said:
    An your qualifications to say this are……… ?

im in bloody later years maybe the only pride left in this club, is that our youth are up for it…… !  Because the team are are fucking gutless…… 

• Options
    Dominic Luongo?