Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 26th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    For those that went, did any of you venture to Kelham for a drink
  • Options
    We went to The Railway pub pre match, and then post match into Molly Malone's Irish Bar. Great fun that place is!
  • Options
    Disjointed, no guts, no belief (that one is understandable) 

We are at the point where Jacko has to play 10 defenders and ensure we don't lose the next game. We have some really either brainless or feckless coasters on our books at the moment. Sideways pass, eurgh I don't want it, you have it, WHACK ad finitum 

No intensity at all and intensity can cover up all manner of technical deficiencies.

The lack of cohesion or positional intelligence is the kind of fuckery that ensure whatever formation we play the collection of morons on the wage bill will decide to brainlessly fart their performance out rather than work harder than the opposition and reap the rewards. Massive holes in midfield again 
  • Options
    I wonder if Jacko has reached the point of no return where he feels he just can't change the formation without losing what remaining respect he has from the team.

He's firmly nailed his colors to the mast with the 3-5-2. He may feel that changing it now would undermine everything he's said up to this point. I think he's willing to die on this hill.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I remember one game about 5 years ago under Karl Robinson away to Oldham. We played them off the park for the first half. We played good football.
    I can't recall us repeating this (not even for the 2nd half of that match).

Since then we had from time to time some great results, we gave it all, blah blah, but even then the football was bland predictable or random. We need a manager with imagination - even a dreamer. Someone who believe in beautiful football...

Naaaa we'll just get another grafter, we are Charlton !!!

(I fell asleep the last 20 minutes)
  • Options
    To the young, immature ‘fans’ trying to stir it up at the Leppings Lane tram stop after the game; grow up you pathetic Neanderthal mugwuffins! 
    Our away support definitely has a fair few bellends these days. 
  • Options
    Bit shit. But, hey, these last few games were against form sides and promotion chasers and you can't beat those teams ever so were a free hit.

Mixed up our play by spreading the 15 minutes of looking like a football team across both halves. 

Another goal conceded from behind the wingback position but this time with DJ and not Matthews to blame. It doesn't matter how many straws you want to clutch at, the formation clearly isn't working, we got a couple of unconvincing wins, lucky draws and the odd good win playing 352 several weeks ago when the players were at a much higher tempo and intensity. 

Theres no right or wrong formation, but there's a right or wrong way to use them. 

Positives: We drew the second half 0-0 oí oiiiiii 

• Options
    clive said:
    Due to my complete lack of interest now I had no idea we got beat from another set piece (five f*ckin minutes in).  What a pathetic group of boys, seriously.

I reckon even at my level I play at if we’d conceded a lot from set pieces recently we’d make it our one area that this week we’d be solid from, but five minutes in and they do that, wet lettuces the lot of em.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes it's been awful but we've lost to 6th, 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 10th teams in the last five matches. 
    Beware of  The Ides of March, as we can't afford the losing run to continue through the next month when we face Stanley, Gills, AFC, Donny or we will be gone for a Burton! Next Saturday V Sunderland, Jacko needs to have a re-think, he has a week at Sparrows Lane to fix the mess of 3-5-2, sort the defence out and be prepared to mix it up.
    The problems at Charlton run deep, as with any organisation, one has to look at top and things aren't right with Sandguard in charge. He certainly doesn't have the experience, knowledge or people at club to advise him, no CEO? his son involved in recruitment? He doesn't own The Valley, Sparrows Lane and to cap it all his company Zynex is tanking so does he even have the funds needed for a summer rebuild? 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Due to my complete lack of interest now I had no idea we got beat from another set piece (five f*ckin minutes in).  What a pathetic group of boys, seriously.

I reckon even at my level I play at if we’d conceded a lot from set pieces recently we’d make it our one area that this week we’d be solid from, but five minutes in and they do that, wet lettuces the lot of em.
    Bit harsh on Lettuce's that. I'm sure they could defend that a lot better than us.
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    Croydon said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Number of SWFC fans saying we are comfortably the worst team they've seen this season. 
    Hard to argue with that when you consider Famewo in the second half, Dobson falling over and that pass from Purrington 
    With Dobson falling over, and a lot of our boys ,falling or slipping over, causing cheers and whistles from the Wednesday fans, I wondered if they had forgotten to screw their studs in. It didn;t happen to the Wednesday players, who evidently did
    Wednesday are evidently used to playing on that shit pitch of theirs so must be wearing the studs to match whereas our lads play on the carpet of The Valley. There,i think i've given our lot the perfect excuse why we were SHIT. 🤞
  • Options

• Options
    Did we have a shot on target at all yesterday?
  • Options
    Was at the match yesterday with a fan that had not been to a Charlton game since before covid, their first game back so to speak. They were shocked at how bad we are now. This team has no heart. they don't play as a team, it's like a collection of 11 individuals doing what they want. If they're listening to Jackson we've got an even bigger headache.

There we no highlights yesterday, no 10 minute good spell. 

The sight of Jacko, Euell and Skiverton stood in the technical area looking on as we served up that shit yesterday was actually quite sad. They appeared clueless as to how to change what was going on in front of them.

This is not all down to Jacko. However, after his initial honeymoon period he has done very little to give me any confidence at all that he is going to take us into the Championship. Post match is the same old drivel.

The idea that once we get Stockley and Washington back we will be transformed is for the birds.

At least we'll have an exciting end to the season, trying to avoid relegation.

• Options
    @owlsonlineadmin - yep, on your advice we went there and drank in the Millowners Arms, the Fat Cat and the Kelham Island Tavern. All were great with very friendly locals (I think, the accents were pretty thick!). Cheers for the excellent tip.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Lovely day out spoiled by (another) 90 minutes of dreadful football. Not sure what we’re doing on the training pitch all week, but the team seems devoid of any idea of what it’s supposed to be doing. Jackson has been dealt a bad hand with the injuries and deficiencies in the squad not entirely of his making, but he’s playing that bad hand badly. 

Thought our support was good yesterday, didn’t see any of the aggro that’s been there at some of the previous aways this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did the formation get changed at any point during the match?
  • Options
    Burstow, straight at their keeper in the second half. Only one I can remember. 
  • Options
    A few bits from this article are relevant to ourselves..
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60540295
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    A few bits from this article are relevant to ourselves..
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60540295
    Yes, very very similar. Frighteningly similar in fact. 

Apart from the fact Leeds are in the Premiership & losing to Man U, Liverpool & Spurs.......whereas we are in league 1 losing to Oxford & MK Dons  !!!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    What we have with Innis and or Stockley is somebody when the ball is floated in from a set piece who attacks and clears it. It doesn't work every time but without them we are extremely vulnerable to set pieces.
  • Options
    Burstow, straight at their keeper in the second half. Only one I can remember. 
    That's right. Our stats for shots on target was 1. Just pathetic.