Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 26th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    Same as Clare then. 
  • Options
    Jackson Friday 25/2 "Its time for the lads to dig in etc etc waffle, waffle, blah, blah"

Jackson Saturday 26/2 "It was too comfortable for Sheff Wednesday, blah, blah, waffle, waffle.  
    Sadly, he looks and sounds a broken man. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
     Jacko said pre-match:

“When we get some of those guys back we will be stronger – I’ve no doubt we will improve,” Jackson said. “It’s difficult at the moment but I want to finish the season strongly and get a feel-good factor – end the season on a positive note".

“Then we can go away, get the summer exactly how we want it – recruit well and recruit early – get our group together and come back with one aim, which will be to get promoted next season."

There's evidently going to be a bit of a clear out this summer. Some players may already know or suspect they are not going to be here next season.
    Like Powell was 'son of Curbs', Jacko may have learned a lot from his old Charlton manager. He was one of the few survivors of the big culling, when Chris Powell put together a rebuilt squad, "recruiting well and recruiting early".

We seem to be seeing the same pattern as when Chris Powell took over ..... he inherited a side that either couldn't or wouldn't play the way he wanted.
    So he sacked off most of his squad and brought in new players that would play his way.

Just my own thoughts, of course.

Could certainly explain some of their shitness but surely they can't know for sure they're going. You would expect them to be playing to keep their jobs.

It's an interesting discussion. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    The connection between having a bit of presence up front and keeping a clean sheet in that second half should be noted.
    They were 2-0 up. They weren't even trying to score. And they still could've, at least twice.

Oxford were 2-0 up last weekend, took their foot off the gas and still scored two more times...
    I refer you to my last sentence

Hang on a minute. I got pulled up on the match thread for using ifs and buts. But now it's alright to use it to make a point that suits a different narrative. Bottom line, they didn't score.
    It comes to something when people are celebrating a 0-0 second half in a game we lost 0-2 against a team 10 senior players short. 
    Dont ever recall Callum celebrating.
  • Options
    The three wins we had against Fleetwood, Pompey and Wimbledon all had Clare, Inniss and Famewo as back 3 (Inniss and Fam scoring against the Wombles). Up front we had Aneke and Washington in two of the games and Aneke and Burstow in the other one. The stability of the team selection was no doubt a contributory factor in winning the games. That’s all gone to pot over the last 5, with key players injured, including 4 strikers, and the replacements being inadequate. JJ has already shown he doesn’t fancy the likes of Matthews and Gunter but they are being selected as others are out injured. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    If Fraser and Stockley are fit enough for the bench - then they should start - what’s the point in waiting until we have gone behind to bring them on ?
    better to start them and sub them as necessary. 
    Very odd goings-on behind the scenes. 
    Why not play Kanu - nothing to lose. 
    Leko/Lee/Gilbey/Morgan/DJ are not going to score. 
    Just because you're fit for the bench, doesnt mean that you're fit for 90mins

It probably doesnt matter if we play Kanu, Burstow, Campbell or Leaburn - They're all kids with little experience against some big Centre-Backs, I'd be extremely surprised (at this stage of their development) if we didnt see the same as what we're currently seeing with Mason
    Fwiw only Fraser of the two was the one that looked anything like fit.
  • Options
    Matthews and innis more interested in tapping birds up on twitter than playing for Charlton. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    If Fraser and Stockley are fit enough for the bench - then they should start - what’s the point in waiting until we have gone behind to bring them on ?
    better to start them and sub them as necessary. 
    Very odd goings-on behind the scenes. 
    Why not play Kanu - nothing to lose. 
    Leko/Lee/Gilbey/Morgan/DJ are not going to score. 
    Just because you're fit for the bench, doesnt mean that you're fit for 90mins

It probably doesnt matter if we play Kanu, Burstow, Campbell or Leaburn - They're all kids with little experience against some big Centre-Backs, I'd be extremely surprised (at this stage of their development) if we didnt see the same as what we're currently seeing with Mason
    Fwiw only Fraser of the two was the one that looked anything like fit.
    Thought Stockley looked his usual self - He's never the type to act like Washington and run about constantly - We have to remember as well, that Jayden has a petulant side, if the ball is being hoofed forwards, his team mates have to pray its accurate as he gets bloody frustrated.

Especially when he doesnt have willing runner for a strike partner. Its a shame that Burstow chose to shoot (cant really scold a Striker for doing that) instead of passing to Stockley second half, as he'd put himself in a good position
  • Options
    352 Jackson

Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results

And saying the same old shit before and after games.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    lonman said:
    Matthews and innis more interested in tapping birds up on twitter than playing for Charlton. 
    Inniss? You for real? He's been an absolute warrior when played. Sure Matthews has been a donkey, but don't lump Ryan in with him.
    Yeah real fuckin warrior. 😂
  • Options
    lonman said:
    Can add DJ to that list as well
  • Options
    The demeanour of a  relegation side playing as if their opponents were from a league or two higher.

Huge transfer window and pre season coming up.
  • Options
    Really didn't care about today's result, watching what's happening in Ukraine is bad enough than worrying about our plight. I do think we'll stay up easily if Stockley and Washington stay fit 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well we are playing teams gunning for the play offs and we will probably lose again next Saturday but if we are to be in a relegation fight then it’s playing those teams around us and below us that matters. It would have been great to have had something to cheer. We’re on the train back all a bit empty of enthusiasm but at least it’s not raining. Gilbey is no captain. Akin Famewo….what was he on today! 4 straight passes into the stands. But Stockley does make a difference (especially defending set pieces). Don’t blame the manager. Anyone who has to put matthews and Purrington on has my sympathy. Maybe it’s a metaphor for life that some things have to be truly shite before anything good happens because it truly is shite at present.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jackson picking the same formation and team week-in and week-out must show he's given up on the season too? 

Matthews giving away goals every single week and still gets picked, why? 
    You said this on the match thread. 

With the injuries/suspensions we have may I ask which players Jacko should have started/played today that he didn't? 

Maybe Watson or Soaure?
    Maybe Leko? Castillo? John? Pearce? DJ.
    Or should he have chucked a load of kids in?

He is not getting things right but our squad is abysmal.  Watson, Soaure, Innis, John, Matthew, Gunter and Castillo should never have been bought in/retained by our inept recruitment team.  

We are allowed, what 21 players in our squad.  Those above are a third of it.  

We were going backwards rapidly in January with an opportunity to put some recruitment right. We bought two kids on loan who are so unprepared they have contributed just about nothing, an injury prone striker and a midfielder that hadn't played for a couple of months.

I agree the formation needs changing.
  • Options
    You can still be perform well and chat to birds online, without it being a conflict.
  • Options
    Jackson picking the same formation and team week-in and week-out must show he's given up on the season too? 

Matthews giving away goals every single week and still gets picked, why? 
    You said this on the match thread. 

With the injuries/suspensions we have may I ask which players Jacko should have started/played today that he didn't? 

Maybe Watson or Soaure?
    Maybe Leko? Castillo? John? Pearce? DJ.
    Or should he have chucked a load of kids in?

He is not getting things right but our squad is abysmal.  Watson, Soaure, Innis, John, Matthew, Gunter and Castillo should never have been bought in/retained by our inept recruitment team.  

We are allowed, what 21 players in our squad.  Those above are a third of it.  

We were going backwards rapidly in January with an opportunity to put some recruitment right. We bought two kids on loan who are so unprepared they have contributed just about nothing, an injury prone striker and a midfielder that hadn't played for a couple of months.

I agree on the formation.
    You complain about the squad but Jackson was the manager that brought in John and Castillo that have barely featured. 

Choose a formation that suits the players you have, do we have wing-backs? No. So don't play a formation that needs them. 

I would honestly rather he played the kids mixed with experienced players that gave a toss rather than the same Matthews, Gunter, Gilbey, Leko nonsense. 

At least show that you understand things aren't going right. Don't pick the same players with the idea that they're magically going to turn up after losing 5 games in a row. 
  • Options
    We've lost 17 games this season, only the bottom 2 have lost more. In fact no-one outside the bottom 4 (apart from us) have lost 17 or more. 

Only thing keeping us out the relegation places is the fact we went on a good run once Adkins was sacked. A new manager bounce certainly helped us. Otherwise we really would be in the shit. 
    When Adkins was sacked, we already were in the shit ...... in the relegation places, remember?