Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 26th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    We lost.

Again.

Passively.

Many of these players wouldn't play for Atkins and after a very good start now won't play for Jackson.  Some of the same players wouldn't play for Bowyer.

There are exceptions but this team as a whole doesn't appear to have the heart for a relegation battle.   

Teams like Wimbledon, Gillingham and Morecombe are maybe inferior on paper but they will fight.  Not sure many of ours will.
    I really don’t think it’s all down to heart, when teams are exploiting the same weaknesses and scoring the same types of goals against you each match. 

As I mentioned in match thread, as poor as we are, the 3-4-2-1 does not play close to the strengths of that team out on the pitch, so we are already asking for trouble before a ball is even kicked. 
    Tend to agree with this.

• Options
    paulfox said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I don’t think it has anything to do with players not playing for Adkins and now not playing for Jackson, they just are no where near good enough. 

Tactically I don’t even know where to begin. 

How do we explain the original run when Jacko took over, were they not good enough then?, or were  all the other teams shit? I’d say players not giving two fucks may be closer to the point. 
    It probably is partly down to the fact that the opposition have worked out what we're trying.

I also feel its down to the fact that Jackson has been forced to use Burstow a lot more than what he's wanted - Our form started when he was able to utilise both Stockley and Washington as a strike partnership.

Our form has dipped since we've not been able to use them together. and its got worse when we've been forced to resort solely to a youngster who only a few months ago, was playing in the final game of the season for the U18s... The ideal scenario would be for Jackson to change it even temporarily so we're not forced to rely on that system - He's being stubborn, and feel its making him look tactically inept. As I still feel results could improve when we get senior members of the squad back involved.
  • Options
    Gutted I really thought the club would make a much better fist of it overall and at least challenge the playoffs. Are there simply to many players now out of contract who don't care I reckon. Wednesday were not even that good.
  • Options
    We lost.

Again.

Passively.

Many of these players wouldn't play for Atkins and after a very good start now won't play for Jackson.  Some of the same players wouldn't play for Bowyer.

There are exceptions but this team as a whole doesn't appear to have the heart for a relegation battle.   

Teams like Wimbledon, Gillingham and Morecombe are maybe inferior on paper but they will fight.  Not sure many of ours will.
    Maybe they just aren’t good enough rather than won’t play for 3 different managers.  
    The good performances being the exception to the rule. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Fraser and Stockley are fit enough for the bench - then they should start - what’s the point in waiting until we have gone behind to bring them on ?
    better to start them and sub them as necessary. 
    Very odd goings-on behind the scenes. 
    Why not play Kanu - nothing to lose. 
    Leko/Lee/Gilbey/Morgan/DJ are not going to score. 
  • Options
    If Fraser and Stockley are fit enough for the bench - then they should start - what’s the point in waiting until we have gone behind to bring them on ?
    Just because you're fit for the bench, doesnt mean that you're fit for 90mins

It probably doesnt matter if we play Kanu, Burstow, Campbell or Leaburn - They're all kids with little experience against some big Centre-Backs, I'd be extremely surprised (at this stage of their development) if we didnt see the same as what we're currently seeing with Mason
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Yes Jackson has been forced into playing Burstow, but no one is forcing him to continually play a system that doesn't suit Burstow up top.
    We’ve done this 5 games in a row now, this spineless mob would still be dodgy at the back and toothless up front in a 442/443/41212 you name it, the system will do nothing. 
  • Options
    Jackson picking the same formation and team week-in and week-out must show he's given up on the season too? 

Matthews giving away goals every single week and still gets picked, why? 
    I think Matthews is ok at full back. The whole team just doesn’t seem to be able to figure out this wingback system. He and dj both too high up the pitch and Gunter not covering. Much too easy for our opponents!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Yes Jackson has been forced into playing Burstow, but no one is forcing him to continually play a system that doesn't suit Burstow up top.
    We’ve done this 5 games in a row now, this spineless mob would still be dodgy at the back and toothless up front in a 442/443/41212 you name it, the system will do nothing. 
    Well 4 at the back would stop every team exploiting the space behind our wingbacks and to the side of our outer centre backs, no?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Just because you're fit for the bench, doesnt mean that you're fit for 90mins

It probably doesnt matter if we play Kanu, Burstow, Campbell or Leaburn - They're all kids with little experience against some big Centre-Backs, I'd be extremely surprised (at this stage of their development) if we didnt see the same as what we're currently seeing with Mason
    It is why I made the suggestion that we didn't play with any strikers a while back. I know it is ridiculous in theory but if you have invisible trousers, why put them on. As long as we start getting them back, we will survive but it is something we have to look at for next season as well as the strength of the squad. 

One thing that was noticable today which I think Brownie alluded too, was that they were physically stronger than us all over the pitch. Seeing as we don't outplay teams with our skill, we need to change this too.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Same old shit.  I was lucky enough to fall asleep for most of the 2nd half. The only thing I will say is that Lord Lucan has been spotted in a Charlton shirt more than Alex Gilbey in the last 5 games.
  • Options
    The only hope I have coming out of that game is that Stockley and Fraser are back. Hopefully Washington isn’t too far away either. Apart from that, ‘kin toothless 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Well 4 at the back would stop every team exploiting the space behind our wingbacks and to the side of our outer centre backs, no?
    I respectfully disagree, we shipped goals under Adkins with four at the back, this lot are bellends, they’re unmotivated, unreliable and generally don’t give a shit.  
  • Options
    Pro-active, decisive, commanding, astute, flexible....are all things I'm failing to see in Jacko at the moment.
    Maybe it's the crock of shit at his disposal, or maybe it only works with a full squad available and a fair wind.
    Beginning to look full Adkins now.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    You're probably right, but at least we'd give ourselves half a chance to compete.
  • Options
    We lost.

Again.

Passively.

I think you are being generous with the "wouldn't play" comments, they can't play because they are very average players.

Shocking display with no skill, no awareness and no fight.
  • Options
    Why is peace being over looked.our defence lack organisation that he will bring. Is Gunter a better CB I don’t think so.don’t think there is enough fight in the team.
    can’t blame ref for defeat but how can he book DJ for a little push and there player nearly pull Matthews head off and not get booked. 
    Then give handball and caution purrington then give nothing for them in penalty box for the same handball. Totally inconsistent 
  • Options
    Gutted I really thought the club would make a much better fist of it overall and at least challenge the playoffs. Are there simply to many players now out of contract who don't care I reckon. Wednesday were not even that good.
    I don’t get this. If players are out of contract wouldn’t they be busting a gut to make sure they get a new one?
    There’s a lot of other stuff I don’t get. Is Jacko any good? I genuinely don’t know.
    Which of the players are any good? If you asked me when we were on our good run I’d have said almost all of them. Right now, only a couple.
    Five defeats in a row tells you that something is wrong, that’s for sure, and it can’t be only that our strikers are missing. Can it?
  • Options
    Why is peace being over looked.our defence lack organisation that he will bring. Is Gunter a better CB I don’t think so.don’t think there is enough fight in the team.
    can’t blame ref for defeat but how can he book DJ for a little push and there player nearly pull Matthews head off and not get booked. 
    Then give handball and caution purrington then give nothing for them in penalty box for the same handball. Totally inconsistent 
    Last couple of games Pearcey played he was a liability, lucky not to get sent off for dragging a player to the ground in one of them…
  • Options
    Jackson Friday 25/2 "Its time for the lads to dig in etc etc waffle, waffle, blah, blah"

Jackson Saturday 26/2 "It was too comfortable for Sheff Wednesday, blah, blah, waffle, waffle.