Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 26th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    We lost.

Again.

Passively.

Many of these players wouldn't play for Atkins and after a very good start now won't play for Jackson.  Some of the same players wouldn't play for Bowyer.

There are exceptions but this team as a whole doesn't appear to have the heart for a relegation battle.   

Teams like Wimbledon, Gillingham and Morecombe are maybe inferior on paper but they will fight.  Not sure many of ours will.
    This short post covers a lot of ground but it’s bloody true.
  • Options
    Gutless
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Jackson picking the same formation and team week-in and week-out must show he's given up on the season too? 

Matthews giving away goals every single week and still gets picked, why? 
    Well he got subbed after 30 mins today. I haven't got the heart to wade through the match thread, but was that down to injury, a tactical switch or one screw up too many?
    He got concussion, its why we were allowed to make four subs today
    They made four subs as well. Is that the rule, that if one side makes an extra sub or two due to concussion the other side also gets to make an extra 1/2 subs? 
  • Options
    Even during our winning run of 3 matches, our style of play was just to pass it around the centre backs sideways, then hoof it up forward. So its no wonder without a target man we look absolutely bereft of ideas of how to get the ball through the pitch. Now Stockley is back, wonder what our tactics are going to be... it's not great is it.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    aliwibble said:
    Jackson picking the same formation and team week-in and week-out must show he's given up on the season too? 

Well he got subbed after 30 mins today. I haven't got the heart to wade through the match thread, but was that down to injury, a tactical switch or one screw up too many?
    They made four subs as well. Is that the rule, that if one side makes an extra sub or two due to concussion the other side also gets to make an extra 1/2 subs? 
    Yup exactly what you say... If one club gets to make more than 3-subs (because of concussion, dont think there are any other "excuses" allowed), so does the other team.
  • Options
    Did I hear correctly that Sheffield Wednesday have 10 senior players injured at the moment?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    17 defeats in League 1 ffs. Most in the division other than the bottom 2. 
  • Options
    Did I hear correctly that Sheffield Wednesday have 10 senior players injured at the moment?!
    https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-injury-roundup-windass-22958018
  • Options
    Didn't go & didnt watch the stream so no comment on the match itself.

Still don't think we'll get relegated & once Washington gets fit (as he's a better striker than Stockley) we'll start picking up a few wins - enough to keep us up. 

However, for a team looking to get promoted & aiming to "blow through this league" finishing somewhere between 14th & 16th is far away from being good enough. I think its time for a major shake up at the club, starting with Sandgaard Jnr & Gallen and finishing with Jackson. Any manager can win when he has all his players available but a good manager earns his corn in the face of adversity. So far Jackson has shown that he's not learning & if he persists with players in the wrong positions or playing a system that we dont have players for then sadly he shouldn't be here next season. 
    You said 2-1 Charlton

;)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    aliwibble said:

Yup exactly what you say... If one club gets to make more than 3-subs (because of concussion, dont think there are any other "excuses" allowed), so does the other team.
    Cheers FA, was Googling it trying to figure out if they'd gone back to the five subs rule. It's still quite early for my brain. 
  • Options
    Did Curbs just question the Fraser signing?
  • Options
    It is crap isn't it?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Garbage for 90mins. Same formation, same players, same basic errors, same lack of physical presence, no leaders, no fight and zero interest in watching any of them again this season.

Jackson's persistence with this formation which leaves us wide open defensively and creates nothing going forward is baffling. With each week that passes he seems further and further out of his depth.

If a couple of the teams below us go on a run we are in serious trouble.

Anyone else fancy us to out battle Gillingham and the like?

We all know it's going to be 6, let me write that out SIX defeats on the spin after Sunderland. Its already 5, yes FIVE consecutive defeats in fucking league one, that is shameful.

No idea where we go from here. No idea if the funds are available to overhaul the team again, because 75% of this mob are nowhere near good enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t think it has anything to do with players not playing for Adkins and now not playing for Jackson, they just are no where near good enough. 

Tactically I don’t even know where to begin. 

• Options
    edited February 2022
    The connection between having a bit of presence up front and keeping a clean sheet in that second half should be noted.
    They were 2-0 up. They weren't even trying to score. And they still could've, at least twice.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    The connection between having a bit of presence up front and keeping a clean sheet in that second half should be noted.
    They were 2-0 up. They weren't even trying to score. And they still could've, at least twice.

Oxford were 2-0 up last weekend, took their foot off the gas and still scored two more times...
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Awful game. They may only had three shots on target to our one, but they were were much stronger than us in all areas, without being particular good. We look like boys playing men, too polite, too easily bullied (even Dobbo today), lacking in all confidence.
    I normally list all the positives, and this week there are only two. The return of Stockley and Fraser.
    Oh, and Sankofa was good as a pundit. 
    Great win for Sunderland up at Wigan today, setting them up nicely for next Saturday.
    I'm off to kick the dog.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Oxford were 2-0 up last weekend, took their foot off the gas and still scored two more times...
    I refer you to my last sentence
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
     Jacko said pre-match:

“When we get some of those guys back we will be stronger – I’ve no doubt we will improve,” Jackson said. “It’s difficult at the moment but I want to finish the season strongly and get a feel-good factor – end the season on a positive note".

“Then we can go away, get the summer exactly how we want it – recruit well and recruit early – get our group together and come back with one aim, which will be to get promoted next season."

There's evidently going to be a bit of a clear out this summer. Some players may already know or suspect they are not going to be here next season.
    Like Powell was 'son of Curbs', Jacko may have learned a lot from his old Charlton manager. He was one of the few survivors of the big culling, when Chris Powell put together a rebuilt squad, "recruiting well and recruiting early".

We seem to be seeing the same pattern as when Chris Powell took over ..... he inherited a side that either couldn't or wouldn't play the way he wanted.
    So he sacked off most of his squad and brought in new players that would play his way.

Just my own thoughts, of course.

Well I fucking hope you are 100% correct.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
     Jacko said pre-match:

“When we get some of those guys back we will be stronger – I’ve no doubt we will improve,” Jackson said. “It’s difficult at the moment but I want to finish the season strongly and get a feel-good factor – end the season on a positive note".

“Then we can go away, get the summer exactly how we want it – recruit well and recruit early – get our group together and come back with one aim, which will be to get promoted next season."

There's evidently going to be a bit of a clear out this summer. Some players may already know or suspect they are not going to be here next season.
    Like Powell was 'son of Curbs', Jacko may have learned a lot from his old Charlton manager. He was one of the few survivors of the big culling, when Chris Powell put together a rebuilt squad, "recruiting well and recruiting early".

We seem to be seeing the same pattern as when Chris Powell took over ..... he inherited a side that either couldn't or wouldn't play the way he wanted.
    So he sacked off most of his squad and brought in new players that would play his way.

Just my own thoughts, of course.

Adkins said the same, even said he wouldn't go on holiday to make sure everything was done before preseason........ 
  • Options
    We drew the second half! If that isn't cause for celebration then I don't know what is. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I refer you to my last sentence

Hang on a minute. I got pulled up on the match thread for using ifs and buts. But now it's alright to use it to make a point that suits a different narrative. Bottom line, they didn't score.
  • Options
    Jacko sounds like he is ready to throw in the towel in the post match interview, doesn't sound at all like he has a clue how to change things around, even without the missing players, we should be creating a whole lot more fight and ideas..
    Maybe he’s been told you don’t make x points or x position you are toast and realises he can’t rely on this mob to achieve this.