Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic | Sat 26th March

Comments

• Options
    Overall, a decent performance and an improvement on previous away games.

Despite the clean sheets, I do have a concern about the apparent lack of communication between the players when we are defending. Two players going for the same ball. There was even a collision today which put two players down. Or both leaving it for the other one and letting the opposing player in. Happened today and fortunately their forward couldn't hit the proverbial cow's backside.
    Another example is high balls coming in and a player goes to head it and can only get under it, so the ball goes up in the air, when there is a team mate a few feet behind who is in a much better position to get a solid clearing header away.

Don't they talk to each other?
  • Options
    Please Jacko and Thomas, don’t be fooled that three wins on the trot means that this starting 11 is anywhere near being a promotion worthy side next season. Please, please don’t be fooled that the likes of Matthews merits a new contract just because he’s suddenly pulling his finger out when he sees the exit door opening. Please please please don’t be fooled that good servants like Purrington can be anything other than a third choice squad player if sentiment gets in the way of good sense and he gets a new contract. It’s good to see the lads winning albeit against a pile of absolute stinking chuff. But this isn’t renaissance. It’s the last gaspings of a poor side that should, largely, be put out to grass and thanked for their (pretty lamentable) efforts. 
    3 wins/clean sheets on the trot and thats your feedback? Muppet.

That doesn't mean I think this team will be the way forward but christ...this is the team now...support them instead of giving them shit when they win.
     As for the  the muppet reference, on the assumption that you meant it’s as friendly banter, I guess Golfie and I could be the two grumpy theatre goers. If you didn’t.. oh never mind, life’s too short. 
    Statler and Waldorf ........ I thought I'd seen you both before! :smiley:

• Options
    Good support / nice day - and we beat Donny again 
  • Options
    Just been chatting to Steve Gallen he’s on the train - nice guy and won’t say anything … 
    He knows well enough that people spill the beans on here.

Come on, mate ..... he must have dropped you a few hints. Your secrets are safe with me! :smiley:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    Please Jacko and Thomas, don’t be fooled that three wins on the trot means that this starting 11 is anywhere near being a promotion worthy side next season. Please, please don’t be fooled that the likes of Matthews merits a new contract just because he’s suddenly pulling his finger out when he sees the exit door opening. Please please please don’t be fooled that good servants like Purrington can be anything other than a third choice squad player if sentiment gets in the way of good sense and he gets a new contract. It’s good to see the lads winning albeit against a pile of absolute stinking chuff. But this isn’t renaissance. It’s the last gaspings of a poor side that should, largely, be put out to grass and thanked for their (pretty lamentable) efforts. 

That doesn't mean I think this team will be the way forward but christ...this is the team now...support them instead of giving them shit when they win.
    A little unfair king addick, the team have left themselves open to criticism this season, a few wins against weak opposition doesn’t paper over the cracks. 
    But positives are positive. Ill fully admit that this current team wont amount too much next year but after winning 3 without conceding regardless of the performance is a good thing. Enjoy it for what it is you know?

I dont think any of us would say this team have covered themselves in glory this year but when they do win, dont give them shit.
    I do get your point and to some extent agree but by god this team would test the patience of a saint!!😂
  • Options

Nah. My honest opinion having been gradually worn down by the utter turpitude this season. My support is resolute hence the reason I still find time to engage on here. As for the  the muppet reference, on the assumption that you meant it’s as friendly banter, I guess Golfie and I could be the two grumpy theatre goers. If you didn’t.. oh never mind, life’s too short. 
    Frustrated maybe. As I said this season has been dross but 3 wins are still 3 wins along with the clean sheets. Maybe I am trying to be a half full kinda guy. Tbf I apologise for the muppet thing, opinions are like arseholes, we all have one and I wouldnt want to put down anyone.

My feeling is 3 wins and no goals conceded is positive. Does it mean the team currently are promotion worthy? Absolutely not. But after a season of crap...enjoy these moments. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Listened to the game, defo should have had 4 goals, the one we scored, the pen, the open goal when Stockley hit the crossbar and the clearance off the line. People on both sides of the divide on here, those saying Donny were woeful and we're not much better, and those saying we've won 3 on the spin and kept clean sheets. I agree this season has been poor, at best, and an absolute disappointment to most. We do seem to have turned a corner with important players back in the last few games, but on the flip-side,  we have been playing sides in or around the relegation places. 
    So where are we in reality? I would like to suggest, assuming we keep this settled side, a very good indicator will be away to Rotherham in a few weeks. They are chasing automatic promotion and may need to beat us to ensure that, or at least help them cement a realistic opportunity. That will be, in my opinion an acid test, all our best players back vs a team pushing for promotion. Let's see how good/bad we are then!
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

A little unfair king addick, the team have left themselves open to criticism this season, a few wins against weak opposition doesn’t paper over the cracks. 
    But positives are positive. Ill fully admit that this current team wont amount too much next year but after winning 3 without conceding regardless of the performance is a good thing. Enjoy it for what it is you know?

I dont think any of us would say this team have covered themselves in glory this year but when they do win, dont give them shit.
    I do get your point and to some extent agree but by god this team would test the patience of a saint!!😂
    Mate it hasnt been easy to stay fairly positive haha Its been shit season to be a Charlton fan!! 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:

Mate it hasnt been easy to stay fairly positive haha Its been shit season to be a Charlton fan!! 
    You’d think we’d get used to it by now, we never learn!!!. And I don’t think our realistic expectations are that too far fetched. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Palace had three players debuting for England tonight, and are at Wembley next weekend for the fa cup semi. 
  • Options
    Massive overreaction to the 1-1 from Washington. Keeper rushed out well and forced him to shoot with his weaker foot.

Stockley's follow up was an open goal.

Other than those, I thought the penalty was poor. Lack of confidence all over Washington thereafter.

These two forwards were whingeing at one another a lot which is unlike them. I'd suggest the trouble in paradise runs deeper than just the fringe players not being good enough.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Meanwhile, Palace had three players debuting for England tonight, and are at Wembley next weekend for the fa cup semi. 
    Well done to Tyrick Mitchell on his sub appearance but I’m not ready to give them much credit for Aguero. Certainly not for Gallagher.

They will get bulldozed by Chelsea.
  • Options
    Bottom five showing their quality. 

• Options
    Talal said:
    Just been chatting to Steve Gallen he’s on the train - nice guy and won’t say anything … 
    Sounds like a great chat. 
    I am not saying want he said - that’s all - 
  • Options
    Does anybody know why Washington stormed off the pitch at the end and didn't come over to the fans? Seen something on the match thread too about Clare and Gilbey arguing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure if anyone else was watching on the same stream as I did, but the row between Charlton players at final whistle seemed quite serious by the way the commentators were talking. They thought it was between Charlton and Donny at first, but then realised it was Charlton and Charlton. Maybe Clare and Gilbey but it was going on off camara
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Tell us, tell us, we won’t say anything, then we’ll accuse you of talking bollox, ask you for a source, and argue about it for 3 months, after which you can say you told us so!!!🤣, I bet he told you about at least 3 signings!!😜
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Massive overreaction to the 1-1 from Washington. Keeper rushed out well and forced him to shoot with his weaker foot.

Other than those, I thought the penalty was poor. Lack of confidence all over Washington thereafter.

These two forwards were whingeing at one another a lot which is unlike them. I'd suggest the trouble in paradise runs deeper than just the fringe players not being good enough.
    On this, did anyone else notice Clare towards the end of the game getting very angry towards a few of our players one after another - Gilbey, Matthew, and Dobson I think.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that, mind.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Talal said:
    Tell us, tell us, we won’t say anything, then we’ll accuse you of talking bollox, ask you for a source, and argue about it for 3 months, after which you can say you told us so!!!🤣, I bet he told you about at least 3 signings!!😜
    Let’s say - in my opinion - only Stokley and JJ came anywhere near the loyal fans ?!
    Maybe the keeper that held the ball for once !!
    there are issues 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

On this, did anyone else notice Clare towards the end of the game getting very angry towards a few of our players one after another - Gilbey, Matthew, and Dobson I think.

Nothing necessarily wrong with that, mind.
    Yes. Seems to be an awful lot of it. 

Passion? Or infighting?
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Well done to Tyrick Mitchell on his sub appearance but I’m not ready to give them much credit for Aguero. Certainly not for Gallagher.

They will get bulldozed by Chelsea.
    I dunno. It's well known what an inspiration the 1995 Palarse FA Cup semi final team were to the six year old Argentinian.
  • Options
    That second half refereeing was farcical 
  • Options
    Doncaster were as bad a team as I have seen for ages. They were awful.

And yet we only just held on for a win. The last 10 minutes we were under huge pressure.

We kid ourselves if we think the 11 playing today will form the base of a promotion winning team next year. 
    Our deluded owner would disagree with you.