Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic | Sat 26th March

123457»

Comments

• Options
    LTKapal said:
    What is Stockley apps to goals ratio at the moment actually, he did well on loan last season and has 16 this so it can't be that bad? 
    He has 24-goals in 53-games so just under a goal every other game.

Should be taken with a small amount of context though

Seven of those goals (all this season) came in the FA Cup and EFL Trophy.
    Just in the league I think he's on 9 in 26 this season, so 1 in 3. Which given his injury is still fairly respectable given he's primarily a target man/big lump up front. 
  • Options
    Normally at this stage of the season three wins on the trot would fire us up the league. 
    Not this season though. 
    Mind you that was a much much better performance let's keep it going. 
    Did you leave the living room 35 mins from the end🙂😂
  • Options
    Acab said:
    Normally at this stage of the season three wins on the trot would fire us up the league. 
    Not this season though. 
    Mind you that was a much much better performance let's keep it going. 
    Did you leave the living room 35 mins from the end🙂😂
    What’s with the 35 minutes?
     We were only under any sort of pressure to speak of, for the last 5 to 10 minutes? 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    LTKapal said:
    What is Stockley apps to goals ratio at the moment actually, he did well on loan last season and has 16 this so it can't be that bad? 

Just in the league I think he's on 9 in 26 this season, so 1 in 3. Which given his injury is still fairly respectable given he's primarily a target man/big lump up front. 
    And our inconsistent service. He’d score more if we improved in that area, especially with good wing backs and better set piece takers.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    LTKapal said:

And our inconsistent service. He’d score more if we improved in that area, especially with good wing backs and better set piece takers.
    Not by his record he wouldn't. He has never been a good goal scorer except in league 2 for two years and is 28 now. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    We are a much better side when Stockley plays. His physical presence up front, his goals and also, crucially, his defending of set-pieces. Watch who clears the most corners and free-kicks....it's not Lavelle, it's not McG, it's Stockley. Most football matches are won by first winning a battle and then gradually taking control. Stockley plays a massive part in winning the battle. 
    I think that’s because he has a free role, so doesn’t have to mark anyone. He just attacks the ball if it’s reasonably central. 
  • Options
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    LTKapal said:

Not by his record he wouldn't. He has never been a good goal scorer except in league 2 for two years and is 28 now. 
    What matters is how good he is now, he's scored goals this season without great service, improving that can only help him. There are a lot of examples of target men/hold up strikers who hit their peak in their late 20s. Yann and Taylor to name two obvious examples.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    LTKapal said:

What matters is how good he is now, he's scored goals this season without great service, improving that can only help him. There are a lot of examples of target men/hold up strikers who hit their peak in their late 20s. Yann and Taylor to name two obvious examples.
    Yeah and he is not that good. That open goal miss is a shocker. He is never going to be a Yann or Taylor. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Looks like Stockers is heading to the beach with that shirt on!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    LTKapal said:

Yeah and he is not that good. That open goal miss is a shocker. He is never going to be a Yann or Taylor. 
    For all round play I agree, they were better and clearly Championship standard. Either would improve us as a team in a way Stockley (and Washington) can’t.

For scoring goals in L1 however he’s very capable, 9 this season in the league in 21 starts (+5 sub) in a mid table team with inconsistent service.

For comparison to our promotion seasons Yann scored 12 and Lyle 21 but with a lot of penalties (feel like it was around 8 or 9). Their goalscoring in open play was good rather than miles ahead of Stockley, and they both played in far stronger teams.

I said elsewhere I want us to aim to bring in a better striker than Stockley and Washington but both have shown with good service and staying fit they could score 15+ in the league.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Just been chatting to Steve Gallen he’s on the train - nice guy and won’t say anything … 
    Sounds like a great chat. 
    Maybe he was doing his Harpo act. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Playing better with nothing on the line just proves to me more that we need to get rid of a lot of the bottlers for next season. No amount of wins compensates for the shit they have dished out in this waste of a season. Well done for winning, but so what!!.🤷🏻‍♂️
    Playing better because we have our injuries back .. makes a massive difference 
    And we are playing Doncaster, Gillingham and the like, not Wigan, Oxford and MK Dons.

The fixtures have, and won't have, no effect on where we finish in the end but they have made it more of a feast or famine season. 
    We did play Wigan, Oxford and MKD with several key players missing - and no strikers.

Loss of confidence caused by losing to 6 successive promotion chasing sides did the rest.

You just can't factor in circumstance like that. It would kill the form of any side in this division.

That's exactly my point though.  

We might well have lost those games with the strikers (fast becoming this seasons center backs), we might well have won other games without them.

But.... The way our fixtures have fallen have made, imo, the good spells look better and the bad spells look worse than they actually are.  Including the start of the season, and now. 
    Agree, let's see how we perform away to Rotherham - much more likely to give an idea as the gap to a promotion winning side.  We definitely need more durable players than over the past 3-4 seasons - whether that is recruitment, luck or training methods is something that needs working out as a priority.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Simonsen said:
    We are a much better side when Stockley plays. His physical presence up front, his goals and also, crucially, his defending of set-pieces. Watch who clears the most corners and free-kicks....it's not Lavelle, it's not McG, it's Stockley. Most football matches are won by first winning a battle and then gradually taking control. Stockley plays a massive part in winning the battle. 
    I think that’s because he has a free role, so doesn’t have to mark anyone. He just attacks the ball if it’s reasonably central. 
    Lyle Taylor and Kermogant were both given the same role.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    LTKapal said:

For all round play I agree, they were better and clearly Championship standard. Either would improve us as a team in a way Stockley (and Washington) can’t.

For scoring goals in L1 however he’s very capable, 9 this season in the league in 21 starts (+5 sub) in a mid table team with inconsistent service.

For comparison to our promotion seasons Yann scored 12 and Lyle 21 but with a lot of penalties (feel like it was around 8 or 9). Their goalscoring in open play was good rather than miles ahead of Stockley, and they both played in far stronger teams.

I said elsewhere I want us to aim to bring in a better striker than Stockley and Washington but both have shown with good service and staying fit they could score 15+ in the league.
    To get promoted we will need a striker who we think can score goals in the Championship and not just League 1 - I have more doubts about Stockley on this score than Washington.
  • Options
    sm said:
    Scoham said:
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    LTKapal said:

To get promoted we will need a striker who we think can score goals in the Championship and not just League 1 - I have more doubts about Stockley on this score than Washington.
    I have doubts about both them in the Championship, but I don’t think it’s as black and white as that. The main issue is we don’t have enough depth - three first team quality strikers isn’t enough when you play two and one struggles to play 90 minutes even once a week. Agree should aim to bring in one better than any of them but even having one more at a similar level would improve us.
  • Options
    sm said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    paulfox said:
    Playing better with nothing on the line just proves to me more that we need to get rid of a lot of the bottlers for next season. No amount of wins compensates for the shit they have dished out in this waste of a season. Well done for winning, but so what!!.🤷🏻‍♂️
    Playing better because we have our injuries back .. makes a massive difference 
    And we are playing Doncaster, Gillingham and the like, not Wigan, Oxford and MK Dons.

The fixtures have, and won't have, no effect on where we finish in the end but they have made it more of a feast or famine season. 
    We did play Wigan, Oxford and MKD with several key players missing - and no strikers.

Loss of confidence caused by losing to 6 successive promotion chasing sides did the rest.

You just can't factor in circumstance like that. It would kill the form of any side in this division.

That's exactly my point though.  

We might well have lost those games with the strikers (fast becoming this seasons center backs), we might well have won other games without them.

But.... The way our fixtures have fallen have made, imo, the good spells look better and the bad spells look worse than they actually are.  Including the start of the season, and now. 
    Agree, let's see how we perform away to Rotherham - much more likely to give an idea as the gap to a promotion winning side.  We definitely need more durable players than over the past 3-4 seasons - whether that is recruitment, luck or training methods is something that needs working out as a priority.
    I think Lincoln will be a decent marker. They bullied us a bit in the away game and going forwards that has to stop.
  • Options
    sm said:
    Scoham said:
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    cs1986 said:
    Scoham said:
    thenewbie said:
    LTKapal said:

Why would we need a striker who we believe can step up to the championship to get promoted?