Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic | Sat 26th March

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Just seen the highlights. It looks like we created some very good chances and CBT had a blinder. But our strikers had a collective stinker. That penalty attempt was worse than Michael Gray’s in the 1998 play-off final
  • Options
    Sounds like a good performance against a poor team. 

Exactly what you need to do. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    why are people making excuses like we’d be right up there if we hadn’t had injuries? Just because we’ve had a few wins under no pressure,  We are down where we are because we’ve been shite, some real delusion in this place.🙄
    Perhaps because its their opinion, which they are entitled to? You certainly like to express yours. Two- way street on a forum.
  • Options
    Lavelle, Dobson, CBT, Fraser all look very good for next season's 'promotion push'. Want to see a quality front line bought in the summer however.  
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Meanwhile, Palace had three players debuting for England tonight, and are at Wembley next weekend for the fa cup semi. 
    Well done to Tyrick Mitchell on his sub appearance but I’m not ready to give them much credit for Aguero. Certainly not for Gallagher.

They will get bulldozed by Chelsea.
    I dunno. It's well known what an inspiration the 1995 Palarse FA Cup semi final team were to the six year old Argentinian.

Autocorrect didn't like me typing Guehi!
  • Options
    Currently reading Pat Nevin”s memoir and he has a lot to say about squad cohesion / spirit and how it makes all the difference. 
    Just what Rhys Wiggins said about Powell's promotion squad in 2011/12. He said they all bonded on the pre - season tour......
    And there's the rub. You don't get that cohesion & camaraderie if players are joining mid-late August. The season kicks off on the 30th July so it would be good to have 95% of the squad in & together during pre-season. What's the betting that we'll still being told a week from transfer deadline day we are still trying to get signings "over the line".
    It could be because agents have become more powerful over the last ten years?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Currently reading Pat Nevin”s memoir and he has a lot to say about squad cohesion / spirit and how it makes all the difference. 
    Just what Rhys Wiggins said about Powell's promotion squad in 2011/12. He said they all bonded on the pre - season tour......
    And there's the rub. You don't get that cohesion & camaraderie if players are joining mid-late August. The season kicks off on the 30th July so it would be good to have 95% of the squad in & together during pre-season. What's the betting that we'll still being told a week from transfer deadline day we are still trying to get signings "over the line".
    It could be because agents have become more powerful over the last ten years?
    Possibly. 
    But some clubs seem to get most of their deals done in time for pre season. 
    I think it's important we do the same. 
  • Options
    As long as it’s no more than 2 or 3 to finish off the squad at most rather than key signings then that’s fine. We know the plan is to bring in 5 or 6 loans, realistically at least some of those are likely to have to wait until the end of the window. Clubs often don’t loan out until their incomings are finalised.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Three points and a clean Sheet 
    and safe from relegation.
    proper strikers should not miss penalties 👎
    we do not score enough goals and miss to many chances.
    the interview with Thomas Sandguard and his premiere league ambitions shows how little he knows about football, as today’s team are good
    for league one but not championship quality. 
    …..lots of work to do and money to invest for next season 👍👍🥂🥂
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    1968CAFC said:
    the interview with Thomas Sandguard and his premiere league ambitions shows how little he knows about football, as today’s team are good
    Harry Kane, who I think we can all agree is a proper striker, has scored 49 and missed 8 penalties in his career so far.
  • Options
    terrible game that we dominated yet nearly threw away at the end .. against better teams, missing the chances that we did will cost us
    Positives .. Blackett-Taylor is now a real threat to defences .. Lavelle's showing why we signed him .. McG now comes for the ball more often .. Fraser is competent if not yet settled .. Dobson and Clare are still working hard .. Stockley is as aggressive and dangerous as ever .. I won't dwell on the negatives, but let's see how we cope with Rotherham in a few day's time
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    1968CAFC said:
    Harry Kane, who I think we can all agree is a proper striker, has scored 49 and missed 8 penalties in his career so far.
    And Washington has scored 5, had 2 saved for us.

Even Matt LeTissier who scored 48/49 penalties missed one.
  • Options
    We scored a nice goal!
  • Options
    1968CAFC said:
    Statistically speaking, Conor misses 33% of the penalties he takes. 

Jaden only misses 22%. And he scored one the other week. So I wonder why Conor was taking it?

(Kane misses 14%. But then again he's Harry Kane).

• Options
    It looks as if we have escaped relegation.
    In that context I would introduce as many of our promising youngsters as possible, and not play any loan players any more. Also don’t play those due to be out of contract at the end of the season if possible.
    One principle being if we’re going to be chite I would rather it was our own good honest chite.
    It is a shame so many are out on loan to affect such a plan, and you don’t play them all at once, but can anybody think of a better moment to try them out, can anybody be worse than Arter was?
    For example one pick could be (in an old fashioned 442)

Harness
    Chinn Lavelle Elewere Bower
    DJ Adigun Dobson CBT
    Stockley Kanu

Yes I know it might not be successful, but substitutes can be deployed, and it would freshen up and add interest to the end of a really drab and dreary season.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    1968CAFC said:

Jaden only misses 22%. And he scored one the other week. So I wonder why Conor was taking it?

Looking at Washington’s stats on transfermarkt (so I think they are correct) he has scored 8 and missed 4 in his whole career. And before Charlton he was not the penalty taker at his former clubs. 

Not the greatest conversion rate by any stretch of the imagination, and would probably lead me to think he shouldn’t be the main penalty taker.

Scott Fraser on the other hand has scored 10 and missed 1 - so would hope he may take over duties.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    In that context I would introduce as many of our promising youngsters as possible, and not play any loan players any more. Also don’t play those due to be out of contract at the end of the season if possible.
    One principle being if we’re going to be chite I would rather it was our own good honest chite.
    It is a shame so many are out on loan to affect such a plan, and you don’t play them all at once, but can anybody think of a better moment to try them out, can anybody be worse than Arter was?

Harness
    DJ Adigun Dobson CBT
    Stockley Kanu

Yes I know it might not be successful, but substitutes can be deployed, and it would freshen up and add interest to the end of a really drab and dreary season.
    I expect the EFL would be screaming "integrity of the league" if we put that side out against Wimbledon, Rotherham & Ipswich. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    1968CAFC said:

Looking at Washington’s stats on transfermarkt (so I think they are correct) he has scored 8 and missed 4 in his whole career. And before Charlton he was not the penalty taker at his former clubs. 

Not the greatest conversion rate by any stretch of the imagination, and would probably lead me to think he shouldn’t be the main penalty taker.

Scott Fraser on the other hand has scored 10 and missed 1 - so would hope he may take over duties.

Yeah. Those are good stats. I'm disappointed the coaching staff have let him take it tbh. They should be aware that he has a poor record.
  • Options
    Major said:
    paulfox said:
    why are people making excuses like we’d be right up there if we hadn’t had injuries? Just because we’ve had a few wins under no pressure,  We are down where we are because we’ve been shite, some real delusion in this place.🙄
    Perhaps because its their opinion, which they are entitled to? You certainly like to express yours. Two- way street on a forum.
    Yes i do, that’s what a forum is for. You can skip my comments if you choose. 👍
  • Options
    I appreciate that Donny were so poor they made us look good but CBT, Stockley and Washington make so much difference to our side. This was a completely different team to the one I saw at Wednesday a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the game and it was great to see us making chances for a change. As others have said, I hope the SMT don't think that this group of players can compete next year without a significant shakeup. I also agree that we should now use the remaining games to try some of the fringe players and youngsters. 

Full credit to the travelling fans who turned up in good numbers for what was a pretty meaningless game. I thought Donny's support was dreadful. Considering they are in danger of going down you would think they would have tried to provide some encouragement. It's not like they were losing from early on as we didn't score until after an hour.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Harness
    DJ Adigun Dobson CBT
    Stockley Kanu

Think of all those top half bets going down the tubes. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:

Harness
    DJ Adigun Dobson CBT
    Stockley Kanu

The gambling industry is a gamble.
    ’Your investment can go down as well as up’.
    If we finish low down it has a broader explanation than any blooding of youngsters now this good opportunity to do so has arisen.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:

Harness
    DJ Adigun Dobson CBT
    Stockley Kanu

The gambling industry is a gamble.
    ’Your investment can go down as well as up’.
    If we finish low down it has a broader explanation than any blooding of youngsters now this good opportunity to do so has arisen.
    I agree, but what about those top half bets 🙁