Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post match views: Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic | Sat 26th March

Comments

• Options
    We won.

We should have won by a lot more.
    Understatement Henners 😉.
  • Options
    Well done to the lads and 3 clean sheets. 
    Did I detect a bit of tension among Mac and the defence towards the end ?
    More than just matchplay frankness - looked to me like their may be some issues. 
    Current form looks good - even if the footy isn’t pretty. 
  • Options
    Only watched the 2nd half  , but we should have had a couple more . Comedy defending at the end . CBT was outstanding  , shame about some of the others . Gilbey is one spineless  , gutless waste of space .
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Another encouraging display from CBT, he’s growing into the wing back role. Not the toughest afternoon he’ll ever be given but he seems willing to work and learn the role and he has genuine pace, the only player at the club who really will out sprint most other players in the league. He has at least pencilled his name into the squad list for next season as one of the wing backs. 

Lavelle is continuing to improve too. I’m still not totally convinced but he’s another who I think is doing enough that he should be part of next season’s squad. 

Really great to see CMac come and catch a couple of crosses too, especially that one in injury time - totally relieved the pressure in that moment. 

Lots to like about Stockley and Washington as individuals and as a pairing, but I think today showed why I don’t really believe they’re an automatic promotion winning front line. Stockley did score, of course, but the chances they wasted…. deary me. I hope they’re both still here next season as they’re good players and have lots to offer, but I just think we need a striker who we can rely on to pop up with that key goal in tight matches and I’m not sure either of them fit that bill. My gut tells me it’s Washington who needs to be upgraded more than Stockley, but it’s a tough one as I think Washington is probably slightly the better player overall.

Matthews was okay without doing a great deal. Likewise Clare, Gilbey and Purrington. Clare maybe starts next season, Gilbey possibly deserves to be retained as a squad player, but the other two aren’t doing anything yet to say they shouldn’t be moved on now. Purrington in particular will go with my best wishes, but time to be a bit ruthless on that one I think. I think it could go either way with Gilbey. I certainly think we need to sign better or hope JFC comes back better than ever but, honestly, of Gilbey, Lee, and Morgan I think I still marginally prefer Morgan, although I know I’ll be in a minority on that. 

Fraser is still yet to convince but I thought it looked another small step in the right direction as he gets fitter. Dobson was Dobson.

Decent day at the office that should’ve been much more comfortable against pretty dire opposition. There was at least some evidence of patterns of play and controlled buildup in attack. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    We played better because the opposition were ridiculously poor. As others have said I hope TS isnt looking at the last 3 results and those that I'm sure will come before the end of the season when we play the other poor teams and thinks he has a promotion squad that just had a bad run. Without a clear out and some decent acquisitions mid table is where we will find ourselves again next season
    I think that he has already decided this. He said that we have a top 2 squad & we only need 2-5 signings for automatic promotion.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Doncaster were as bad a team as I have seen for ages. They were awful.

And yet we only just held on for a win. The last 10 minutes we were under huge pressure.

We kid ourselves if we think the 11 playing today will form the base of a promotion winning team next year. 
    Our deluded owner would disagree with you.
    Promotion winning team no, but the majority of that 11 being part of a promotion winning squad isn’t unrealistic. It’s most of the subs and those outside the 18 who need replacing with better players including some new first choices.
    They might need to build a better team spirit first!
  • Options
    Currently reading Pat Nevin”s memoir and he has a lot to say about squad cohesion / spirit and how it makes all the difference. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Talal said:
    Just been chatting to Steve Gallen he’s on the train - nice guy and won’t say anything … 
    Sounds like a great chat. 
    I am not saying want he said - that’s all - 
    Tell us, tell us, we won’t say anything, then we’ll accuse you of talking bollox, ask you for a source, and argue about it for 3 months, after which you can say you told us so!!!🤣, I bet he told you about at least 3 signings!!😜
    Let’s say - in my opinion - only Stokley and JJ came anywhere near the loyal fans ?!
    Maybe the keeper that held the ball for once !!
    there are issues 
    Lee came over tbf. Always does as well which is nice to see from a loanee. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ozaddick said:
    Missed the first half because someone tripped over the extension lead providing the stream.

2nd half we looked a mid table team edging out a win against relegation fodder. Lost a bit of faith in stockley the last 3 games... Today he has an open goal and he hits the crossbar....

We ain't getting out of the 3rd tier anytime soon. 

At the end of the steam TS's song plays.... I made the missus listen to it... Afterwards she told me to fuck off.  

Thomas has cock blocked me a shag. 

You got exactly what you deserved you bastard, how can you make your dear wife listen to that pile of shit. Especially when you were after a shag, I hope you learnt an important lesson today  :D
  • Options
    Please Jacko and Thomas, don’t be fooled that three wins on the trot means that this starting 11 is anywhere near being a promotion worthy side next season. Please, please don’t be fooled that the likes of Matthews merits a new contract just because he’s suddenly pulling his finger out when he sees the exit door opening. Please please please don’t be fooled that good servants like Purrington can be anything other than a third choice squad player if sentiment gets in the way of good sense and he gets a new contract. It’s good to see the lads winning albeit against a pile of absolute stinking chuff. But this isn’t renaissance. It’s the last gaspings of a poor side that should, largely, be put out to grass and thanked for their (pretty lamentable) efforts. 
    3 wins/clean sheets on the trot and thats your feedback? Muppet.

That doesn't mean I think this team will be the way forward but christ...this is the team now...support them instead of giving them shit when they win.
    Nah. My honest opinion having been gradually worn down by the utter turpitude this season. My support is resolute hence the reason I still find time to engage on here. As for the  the muppet reference, on the assumption that you meant it’s as friendly banter, I guess Golfie and I could be the two grumpy theatre goers. If you didn’t.. oh never mind, life’s too short. 
    Frustrated maybe. As I said this season has been dross but 3 wins are still 3 wins along with the clean sheets. Maybe I am trying to be a half full kinda guy. Tbf I apologise for the muppet thing, opinions are like arseholes, we all have one and I wouldnt want to put down anyone.

My feeling is 3 wins and no goals conceded is positive. Does it mean the team currently are promotion worthy? Absolutely not. But after a season of crap...enjoy these moments. 
    I can agree with that. Virtual manly hug. 😉
  • Options
    Please Jacko and Thomas, don’t be fooled that three wins on the trot means that this starting 11 is anywhere near being a promotion worthy side next season. Please, please don’t be fooled that the likes of Matthews merits a new contract just because he’s suddenly pulling his finger out when he sees the exit door opening. Please please please don’t be fooled that good servants like Purrington can be anything other than a third choice squad player if sentiment gets in the way of good sense and he gets a new contract. It’s good to see the lads winning albeit against a pile of absolute stinking chuff. But this isn’t renaissance. It’s the last gaspings of a poor side that should, largely, be put out to grass and thanked for their (pretty lamentable) efforts. 

That doesn't mean I think this team will be the way forward but christ...this is the team now...support them instead of giving them shit when they win.
    Nah. My honest opinion having been gradually worn down by the utter turpitude this season. My support is resolute hence the reason I still find time to engage on here. As for the  the muppet reference, on the assumption that you meant it’s as friendly banter, I guess Golfie and I could be the two grumpy theatre goers. If you didn’t.. oh never mind, life’s too short. 
    What a wonderful answer, too many insults on here just because somebody disagrees with an opinion. Well played Sir
  • Options

Frustrated maybe. As I said this season has been dross but 3 wins are still 3 wins along with the clean sheets. Maybe I am trying to be a half full kinda guy. Tbf I apologise for the muppet thing, opinions are like arseholes, we all have one and I wouldnt want to put down anyone.

My feeling is 3 wins and no goals conceded is positive. Does it mean the team currently are promotion worthy? Absolutely not. But after a season of crap...enjoy these moments. 
    I can agree with that. Virtual manly hug. 😉
    Haha cheers mate! 
  • Options

What a wonderful answer, too many insults on here just because somebody disagrees with an opinion. Well played Sir
    Apologised Charltonbob. Lapse of judgement from me as enjoy the difference of opinion. 
  • Options

Apologised Charltonbob. Lapse of judgement from me as enjoy the difference of opinion. 
    Don’t worry guys, that addick 1665 bloke or what ever he is, called me a dick head in a post the other day!!, I mean I may well be a dickhead but still a bit harsh in my opinion!!!🤣🤣, I told him him to F off but it got scrubbed which was probably fair enough!!!🤣
  • Options
    First 13 games, 9 points
    Next 26 games, 40 points

I think JJ has already proved his worth. Success this season was lost in those first 9 games. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:

Don’t worry guys, that addick 1665 bloke or what ever he is, called me a dick head in a post the other day!!, I mean I may well be a dickhead but still a bit harsh in my opinion!!!🤣🤣, I told him him to F off but it got scrubbed which was probably fair enough!!!🤣
    Haha made me laugh! Im sure im lovely but have no doubt people will disagree :):smiley:
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    We played better because the opposition were ridiculously poor. As others have said I hope TS isnt looking at the last 3 results and those that I'm sure will come before the end of the season when we play the other poor teams and thinks he has a promotion squad that just had a bad run. Without a clear out and some decent acquisitions mid table is where we will find ourselves again next season
    I think that he has already decided this. He said that we have a top 2 squad & we only need 2-5 signings for automatic promotion.
    He said 2-5 permanent signings plus 5-6 loans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s really hard to be happy and positive, when we are so far behind the pack.

I earmarked this for a comfortable 2-0 because Donny are, well rubbish, and that’s what a mid table team should be doing.

Roll on the summer, let’s hope the recruitment is spot on and makes sense.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    paulfox said:
    why are people making excuses like we’d be right up there if we hadn’t had injuries? Just because we’ve had a few wins under no pressure,  We are down where we are because we’ve been shite, some real delusion in this place.🙄
    Because when the first choice 11 is fully fit they are good enough to be challenging top 6 sides. The problem is and has always been squad depth and durability. This was not addressed last summer and still wasn't in January. Until it is we will continue this rollercoaster of form.
    Funnily enough, when Lee was brought on, the Donny commentators (the co-commentator being James Coppinger) both agreed how good they thought the quality throughout the squad is, when we've got the likes of Lee on the bench.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Does anybody know why Washington stormed off the pitch at the end and didn't come over to the fans? Seen something on the match thread too about Clare and Gilbey arguing
    I’ve seen Washington go straight to the tunnel a few times at FT.  He did it against Burton last week.  I think it’s normal for him
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Scoham said:
    AndyG said:
    Has to be 5 minimum permanent for me given how poor we’ve been this season, and based on the loans this season I’m not confident.

Famewo
    Lee
    Leko
    Arter
    John
    Castillo

None of them are good enough to get us up next year
  • Options

Saw that mate, fair play. Bob removes foot from mouth.
  • Options
    paulfox said:

It's one thing acknowledging to yourself that you may be a dickhead but being called a dickhead by a dickhead is harsh  :D
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Normally at this stage of the season three wins on the trot would fire us up the league. 
    Not this season though. 

It's fired us up to 14th. :neutral:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    AndyG said:
    Lets hope they're better loans than what we've brought in this season. These last two can't even get in the matchday squad. Fucking ridiculous, presumably not JJ's choices ?
  • Options
    paulfox said:

It's one thing acknowledging to yourself that you may be a dickhead but being called a dickhead by a dickhead is harsh  :D
    Lol!!!  That’s what I thought, I did reply pot and kettle!!!  Anyway I’ve been called worse🤣😂🤷🏻‍♂️