Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jayden Stockley & Conor Washington - the underrated partnership

Comments

• Options
    if if these two are our 1st choice starters next season, I will say right now we will not go up. Probably not even challenge. Too many chances are missed. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    We can do better

If we don't think we can, how low are our standards
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    We can do better

If we don't think we can, how low are our standards
    We have to do better, if not we’re doomed I tell ya!!!!😂, but we really have got to find a finisher.
  • Options
    I want better, but a point to counter this stuff about their poor finishing is BWP. He missed shitloads of chances but was a good enough promotion striker with a good side around him. Neither of these lads are ever gonna be Lyle Taylor who was exceptional at this level, but I think they can be as good as bwp.

that said, I’d still vote for a full refresh !
  • Options
    Both were poor today.
  • Options
    I'd argue that Washington is the more influential overall of the two, and is versatile enough to be able to compliment other types of strikers. So if we started with just one of them next season, I'd want it to be him. Unfortunately, Stockley is the one with a deal next season, and I get the impression that we'll pin our hopes on him
  • Options
    If we were promoted with Stockley and Washington then we would look at replacing Washington pretty quick due to his age, two players in that position please with one of those being Davison, maybe.
  • Options
    Charltons strikers remind me of this song 
    https://youtu.be/usYgf8cVfvU
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Washington's peak is mid table League One. We need better.
    Applies equally to Stockley. 
  • Options
    Washington's peak is mid table League One. We need better.
    Applies equally to Stockley. 
    Agreed.
  • Options
    I want better, but a point to counter this stuff about their poor finishing is BWP. He missed shitloads of chances but was a good enough promotion striker with a good side around him. Neither of these lads are ever gonna be Lyle Taylor who was exceptional at this level, but I think they can be as good as bwp.

that said, I’d still vote for a full refresh !
    The Taylor comparison in that season was Kermorgant. He was the striker with that bit extra and the one who would often come up trumps at key moments even though he wasn’t the one who scored the most goals. It was partly because we had a player like Yann that meant BWP got so many chances. That’s the point - there’s probably room for one but not both. If we have to go with both next season it’ll be far from the worst pairing in the league but the club do need to be trying to bring in an upgrade if at all possible (obviously it’s easier said than done). 
  • Options
    There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that we are a better team this season with Stockley and Washington in it. The stats above prove what is already patently obvious. A significant factor in that scenario though is that our back up to both is lamentably bad to the point of non existent. Davison, Leko and Burstow are either not ready, not good enough or not here!   Chuks is a class act but unreliable. The stats are undoubtedly skewed as we are comparing the valuable contributions of Stockley and Washington against effectively bugger all. 

However, the issue for me is whether Stockley and Washington are capable of leading a promotion winning side/plying at championship level. From what I have seen (and I admit my viewing is limited to TV/streaming) I don’t believe that they are. Stockley has already failed at championship level with Preston and I think the days of the “big lump” centre forward are over. Washington is a good honest trier whose career history has nothing to suggest that he is anything other than a decent league 1 player. I’d certainly keep both and they will play a part next season. But if we’re going to storm the league they need to be third and fourth choice. 
    Totally agree SB. Washington and Stockley have earned the right to be third and fourth choice strikers here next season..And no more. I fully expect two quality forwards to arrive in the summer. And as pointed out ~ gonna cost pretty penny. 
  • Options
    Great post AA - a stat/angle I hadn’t even thought to consider.
  • Options
    Stockley and Washington have 20 goals combined from 45 starts. Wigan's Keane and Lang have 31 from 68 starts. Rotherham's Smith and Ladapo have 29 from 59. Those ratios are not too different. 

We are 40 games in and our 3rd top scorer has 3 goals. Rotherham's 3rd and 4th top scorers have 8 apiece. Wigan's 3rd, 4th and 5th have 19 between them - ours have 8.

The focus is quite rightly on the chances missed by Stockley and Washington but when the rest of the squad are bringing absolutely nothing to the party then the focus on those two becomes even more exaggerated. You have to have goal scoring threats from other areas of the pitch and we don't. 
    Exactly how I view things. I genuinely do not think Stockley and Washington are the problem. It could be seen yesterday just how isolated they can both be from the rest of the team. CBT gets the ball wide and literally the only 2 players around the box are Stockley and Washington with no one else within 20 yards. At best they are man marked out of the game, with their wing back not upfield it was 3 v 2.

If we are to continue with this formation we have to really commit to the counter and flood the box.
  • Options
    I'm also in the mind that it's not actually the strikers that are the problem, it's the lack of any other threat. Go back to the Powell Promotion side and even if the strikers misfires you had Stephens, Jackson, Haynes could all chip in with goals.

Now we have absolutely nothing. 
  • Options
    Stockley and Washington have 20 goals combined from 45 starts. Wigan's Keane and Lang have 31 from 68 starts. Rotherham's Smith and Ladapo have 29 from 59. Those ratios are not too different. 

We are 40 games in and our 3rd top scorer has 3 goals. Rotherham's 3rd and 4th top scorers have 8 apiece. Wigan's 3rd, 4th and 5th have 19 between them - ours have 8.

The focus is quite rightly on the chances missed by Stockley and Washington but when the rest of the squad are bringing absolutely nothing to the party then the focus on those two becomes even more exaggerated. You have to have goal scoring threats from other areas of the pitch and we don't. 
    Very good point, this is why it’s not as black and white as “we must sign a better striker”. It should definitely be the aim but even if we bring in two better strikers we still need goal threats across the team. More creativity will
    help too, we also need to create good quality chances more often.
  • Options
    A real shame how little Lee and Gilbey have contributed in terms of goals and directly affecting the result of a game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't mind having Stockley and Washington next season as options but I'd want 2 other strikers in the door , don't want to be putting too much pressure on Kanu ,Gavin and Leaburn to come through. 

AA , that's a fantastic point that we really really need to address goals from the rest of the pitch especially from midfield. Ironically Jacko needs to find someone that can weigh in like he used to himself!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    League One strikers. 

Will struggle to get us promoted and no chance they survive in the Championship. 

A highlight reel of some of the chances they've missed this season wouldn't look out of place in the sunday league. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Exactly how I view things. I genuinely do not think Stockley and Washington are the problem. It could be seen yesterday just how isolated they can both be from the rest of the team. CBT gets the ball wide and literally the only 2 players around the box are Stockley and Washington with no one else within 20 yards. At best they are man marked out of the game, with their wing back not upfield it was 3 v 2.

If we are to continue with this formation we have to really commit to the counter and flood the box.
    But then Clare finds a totally unmarked Washington after a great run and he slips and loses it. You can sau theyre isolated and that we need goals from elsewhere, but they both had at least 3 golden chances each yesterday and scored 1 goal between them 
  • Options
    You can't say they get no service, but then say we had 18 shots yesterday in the same sentence. 

They got enough service to win the game yesterday, they wasted most of the chances provided. 
  • Options
    League One strikers. 

Will struggle to get us promoted and no chance they survive in the Championship. 

A highlight reel of some of the chances they've missed this season wouldn't look out of place in the sunday league. 
    This is it, for me. If we did get promoted, we'd need two new strikers or we'd be in trouble.
  • Options
    Think we should cross the “if we get promoted we’d need new strikers” bridge when we get to it!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    colthe3rd said:

But then Clare finds a totally unmarked Washington after a great run and he slips and loses it. You can sau theyre isolated and that we need goals from elsewhere, but they both had at least 3 golden chances each yesterday and scored 1 goal between them 
    Yesterday was a bad day at the office for both of them I won't even try and defend it. But it does highlight how dependent we are on them for goals, the fact there is zero threat from the rest of the team and also no option from the bench just makes things even more desperate.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Think we should cross the “if we get promoted we’d need new strikers” bridge when we get to it!
    These two aren’t getting to the bridge let alone across it. These two and two more better Wed have a chance if the rest of the recruitment is satisfactory.
  • Options
    Conor Washington thanks a lot !

I had forgiven you for putting that chance in the side netting when it was 4-4 with Rochdale at the valley in the final minute  and I kicked the small table with my coffee on and stained the Shag pile carpet and Mrs soapbox told me to calm down or go back to anger management !

BUT Yesterday when you missed your 4th or 5th chance of the day and put the ball wide at the covered end I jumped up and screamed out loud and my 600 page book Putin's People in a small bag went smashing into the head of a guy in front. 
    Fortunately for me but not him he had concussion so I made my apologies and moved on and sent a first aider in his direction.

Now where's that number for the next anger management course ?