Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jayden Stockley & Conor Washington - the underrated partnership

12346»

Comments

• Options
    I could not agree more? Stockley had a poor game and is not in the same league as Yann or even Stockton. But he does score goals. I would be interested to know the stats yesterday on crosses into the box, there seemed to be quite a lot, 2 of which we scored from. But is it the accuracy of the cross or the striker trying to get on the end of it? Not sure?
    No doubt he'd benefit from better service, but as you say he's no Yann.

Aside from his goal he wasn't impressive yesterday, though Jackson recently explained he's playing through injury. He doesn't have the best touch but he's capable of more than he showed yesterday.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/you-probably-wont-see-the-best-of-him-again-until-next-season-charlton-boss-on-jayden-stockleys-vital-return/
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    From the person who made this topic a few weeks ago. It was my first time seeing Stockley play in person. 

He was pretty shocking yesterday. 

He scored a goal so it’s hard to be very critical but it just felt like he existed to get in the way and everything that went up to him broke down.
    I wasn’t at the game y’day, but my old man made a good point.  He’s all arms and legs.  There’s definitely a threat with his aerial prowess and physicality, but he said he was (and he does), charge around like a bit of madman at times.  He said he compared him to Stockton.  He said Stockton was very measured and composed, using optimum levels of energy, whereas Stockley is very erratic.

To the point about 22 goals based on projected goals and games for a full season.  Who knows?  Impossible to say.  He’s definitely chipped in this season with poor players around him, so that’s a plus, but there’s a something about him, Aneke and Washington that doesn’t fill me with confidence 
    A good summation of the difference between the two. Stockley puts himself about A LOT. He is so keen to contribute and you can’t fault him for that. But sometimes it’s better to let someone else have the ball. He could be so much more effective with more nous.
  • Options
    From the person who made this topic a few weeks ago. It was my first time seeing Stockley play in person. 

He was pretty shocking yesterday. 

He scored a goal so it’s hard to be very critical but it just felt like he existed to get in the way and everything that went up to him broke down.
    There was a moment in the second half when Dobson played a simple ball on the floor up to him. Stockley tried to play a simple pass back, but the ball hit his foot, then his shin, then his knee, then bounced off the ground and fortunately bobbled back to one of our players. I could swear sections of the crowd were laughing. 
  • Options
    @cabbles Stockley is such a strange one as the more I see him the more I dislike his style, but he’s actually quite a effective. If we were to sign better we would easily be looking at £1m+. 
    If I was offered Stockley to be top goalscorer at 25/1 in league 1 next season, or Charlton to win league 1 at 25/1. I would take Stockley everytime. If Stockley is fit for 40+ matches could he score 20+ goals. Probably. However does Stockley make our style of football worse. Probably does

• Options
    For a professional footballer he’s remarkably bad with his feet!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    I think people need to stop comparing Stockley to Yann, who was one of the most technically gifted players to ever pull on a Charlton shirt. stockley is more than good enough for this level and one of the better strikers in the league, he is averaging 1 in 2 in this team, and we are shite
  • Options
    Stockley has never had any pace but his hold up play has deteriorated and I'm worried about his back problem, which sounds like a chronic injury. If the team play to his strengths, he can be very effective but, at present, we're generally just lumping the ball upfield and the standard of crossing has been very poor over the season, albeit that Blackett-Taylor put in two good ones on Saturday and Matthews delivered a beauty at Wimbledon. So often, however, balls are overhit or fail to beat the first man.

John Pearson was hardly an elegant footballer, but he did a good job for the team in Lennie's 1985/86 promotion winning side. I think that Stockley can certainly do a decent job at this level if we can sort out the team but it depends upon his level of fitness.

Washington is a quick and intelligent channel runner but a weak finisher, which explains why he's never scored more than 13 goals in a season, including the odd penalty. His hard work for the team is admirable but he is not, in my opinion, a striker who is going to help us get promoted out of this division. He's also missed quite a few games through injury this season as, of course, has Aneke.
  • Options
    Not an underrated partnership , they are a mid table 3rd tier partnership. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    As mentioned on another thread, Jayden is joint 4th in the league for Big Chances Missed while Connor follows closely behind him in 5th.

Considering both have missed a chunk of the season through injury/suspension, I'd suggest these records are quite bad, and looking at the stats - if they'd played all season it's not unlikely that they'd be joint top. 

"But all League One strikers miss chances" - Other than Macauley Bonne (lol), Stockley and Washington are the only two strikers inside the top 10 for Big Chances Missed who are not in the top 10 for League Goals Scored.

That suggests they miss more than they score and confirms that this ain't the general trend for strikers.

"Them two missing chances isn't the problem, we need others chipping in with goals" - definitely agree that our return from other areas of the pitch is woeful, but I also think that if we're playing a system that allows for two strikers, we should expect those two strikers to be grabbing the overwhelming majority of the goals.