Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City | Saturday 2nd April 2022

I think we’re cursed. Hopefully that’ll lift soon so we can get past this odd period.

We started off the afternoon with great spells of possession. Lincoln seemed content to leave us to it and break on the counter. This worked, because we failed to make our possession count. We came close, but not close enough. We struck the crossbar and blazed shots wide. It wasn’t long before Lincoln broke through on the counter and took the lead. Still, that wasn’t the worst of it. Gilbey lost his head and collected two yellow cards in the span of ten or so minutes and was sent off. At that moment, the two teams shifted with Lincoln playing a patient possession game and Charlton looked to counter.

In the second half, Jacko made no immediate substitutions. We held our own and looked to counter, but the game had yet another twist in it. Lincoln’s number 7 threw himself into a challenge on Purrington that resulted in a straight red card! The game was back on! That was until the third twist. Lincoln broke away and scored from a good individual effort down Charlton’s right. We continued to battle and came close on a number of occasions, but couldn’t force a goal until it was too late. Forster-Caskey made his season’s first-team debut, coming on for a spent Fraser. The Charlton goal came from a Forster-Caskey corner which found Stockley’s head. We had a couple of chances in extra time, but the equaliser wasn’t to be. Washington came closest with an effort that blazed inches wide of the far post. On another day, Stockley and Washington could have had hat-tricks (including one close call from Stockley where the ball looked to have crossed the line before the keeper, deep in his own goal, parried the ball away). 

Ever-frustrated. 
Over to you.

Charlton 1 Lincoln 2

Comments

• Options
    Happy with that 😉
  • Options
    I can't even pretend to be angry at another home defeat as the season is effectively over.
    Can't make playoffs 
    Can't go down.
    One thing I'm convinced of though is this squad of players is nowhere near good enough for promotion. 
    Nothing we as fan's can do about it all we can do is hope Sandgaard JJ and the recruitment team get it right this summer. 
    says it all for me
  • Options
    18 shots and one goal sums up the match. You’d expect two or three goals from that on a usual weekend.
  • Options
    Not clinical enough and too easy to score against. Thankfully the season is over soon 
  • Options
    We were terrible again. No midfield and the Gilbey sending off was predictable. And to bring on Leko, who has absolutely no interest, and is not good enough shows we are a long way short in so many areas!
  • Options
    Not disagreeing with any of Jacko’s post match comments.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lol, we bring on Leko and Lee and have a striker on the bench, and have loan players from the Spuds who don't get a game, something is seriously wrong, good manager Appleton he had a real scare with his health, yet another team to do the double over us!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Pleased for JFC. He was shoulders above the rest of our team with his cameo, we've missed him terribly. 
    Stockley frustrated the shite out of me again. He is a lazy footballer.  Leko is a lemon. 
    Jacko won't get us promoted next season. 
  • Options
    JFC back out there and looking like he’s still got “it” was great to see. Thought Lavelle and Matthews had good games. We created lots. Finishing was atrocious. At least it was an entertaining game. 

Matters little. Roll on the transfer window. 
  • Options
    Can you sum it up for me please mate. I’m currently sitting on the sofa feeling depressed eating a mini roll and watching some giant crab sing on Moana. 
  • Options
    I feel like many of our players, even the much-vaulted ones, are brainless donkeys. 
  • Options
    Fraser continues to underwhelm. Good to see JFC back, he looked good but Gilbey, oh dear. Shamefull hope he never plays for us again. 
  • Options
    JFC back out there and looking like he’s still got “it” was great to see. Thought Lavelle and Matthews had good games. We created lots. Finishing was atrocious. At least it was an entertaining game. 

Matters little. Roll on the transfer window. 
    Jake F-C is 28 in a few days time .. he seems to have been around forever .. good that he's back .. stay fit Jake f f s
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Better than Gilbey and Fraser 
    Oh, right. I'd best take your word for it then. neutral

Don’t know who “Oggy” is but I stand by my comment from the match thread that I’d rather have Albie out there than either of these two.  I must remember to preface everything with “in my humble opinion” so as not to upset the Oggmonster . 
  • Options
    I dint listen anymore, just all so predictable.
  • Options
    JFC class above the rest of our mids which tells you all you need to know about our season 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lol, we bring on Leko and Lee and have a striker on the bench, and have loan players from the Spuds who don't get a game, something is seriously wrong, good manager Appleton he had a real scare with his health, yet another team to do the double over us!
    Lee created the chance that should’ve got us a point. 
  • Options
    We were the better team but we didn't deserve to win (or even draw). We need to be more clinical up front, we need to concentrate for the whole game at the back and we don't need to carry brain dead passengers in midfield. 

So, Lincoln are the latest team to have a hoodoo over us. We've got more bogies than Fungus after a bad cold.
  • Options
    My call to play youngsters is justified after that.
    At least we don’t have to suffer Gilbert Tuesday.
    Hope he goes and takes Fraser with him. I would rather play Albie Morgan!
    Dobson does anything good that happens in central midfield anyway.
  • Options
    Have a good night @Boom

• Options

This fella must have been fkin freezing 
  • Options
    We are going to struggle to at least match our 13th place League One finishes in 2010/11 and 2016/17 at this rate. 
  • Options
    Just feel so empty with everything Charlton at the moment. Like I didn't even know who we were playing today. Just feels awful at the moment, probably just me but my interest for Charlton at the moment is at an all time low. Squad we have is depressing just full of plain Janes. 
  • Options
    We dominated this match don’t think McG had a single save to make .. Shocking Ref performance if a ref gets kicked out the prem why should he ruin league one games .. … Stockley header over the line looked very much like it .. .. we deserved something out of that another day Washington scores 4 ….. problem was going 1 down with 10 men when they went down to 10 men they had something to hold onto .. and hit us on the break … … 
    Great to see JFC back ..