Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Lincoln City | Saturday 2nd April 2022

Comments

• Options
    Gilbey has to keep pulling back players because he is such a poor player, opposition get by him so easily. Hope I never get to see him in a Charlton shirt again.
    He will be back after his ban. Jackson loves him. 
    As does curbs. Struggling to see it myself, but assume it’s because he is known for his ‘running’.
    I don’t see it either. All I ever see him do is hide.
    Agree 100%. Waste of a shirt. a half-decent game once every five or six matches is nowhere near the standard.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Scoham said:
    cafc999 said:
    Nothing to do with having better defenders or strikers IMHO as the shape and tactics leave us exposed time and time again at the back and to slow going forward as we concentrate on playing sideways.

Were there defenders better than ours? No. We're they better organised? Yes. 

We are to slow and never attack any space, we are just to rigid 

We don't have the players to play 3-5-2 so why are we playing that formation?
    Because Jackson is building towards next season.
    Do you think that style and speed of football will get you promoted?

How many players does JJ need to make 3-5-2 work and do you think he will get them?
    Just a couple of Gareth Bales surely?
  • Options
    I thought at times we played quite well but we're obviously missing a clinical half-chance finisher of the Killer, Clive, Bradley, Lyle type.
  • Options
    Gilbey has fallen into the Gunter, Watson, Purrington, Matthews category of player this season.
  • Options
    I think we have been so poor this season that I'm not that down on that result. It didn’t matter if we won or lost. JFK came on and added a touch of class. Just thinking he might be fit for next season makes up for the result.  Big surprise for me was Matthews. He was actually very good today but he does this every year to sneak a new contract. I think his good performance today doesn't make up for all the half arsed performances he has given over the years All you want are players that give 100%. Lee has been crap for months but he always tries. Matthews has a terrible attitude picking and choosing when he wants to try. He has to go with Bale's golf pal Gunter as they are cheating the fans. If there is space in the taxi take Gilbey too.
    Agree re JFC.
    I've watched CAFC on and off for years. The only player I'd say didn't try (or more accurately did try to get sent off ) was Danny Mills just before Xmas  in his 2nd stint.
    Confidence massively affects performance. Hesitation through lack of confidence in yourself or your colleagues stifles a good performance by individuals and teams.
    You can't say Matthews hasn't been trying.You don't know what's been going on in the dressing room or his private life and neither do I.  So you think he's not good enough.Fair enough.
    But don't twist the facts to say he's manipulating the situation to get a new contract.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Problem is Jackson loves him! I didn't like the matey reference to "Gilb's". 

Yesterday was ideal for Aneke to come and do the business. Maybe next season hey. Or, the one after.

We've got an excellent sports science team.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    clive said:
    When Gilbey gets sent off, watch Stockley speak to Washington. They are disgusted with their team mate. Not a happy camp. 
  • Options
    Do we not play with a right back?

Those goals are embarrassing.

How many have we conceded via that position this season? Might as well just put a Welcome sign up. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    cafc999 said:
    Scoham said:
    cafc999 said:
    Nothing to do with having better defenders or strikers IMHO as the shape and tactics leave us exposed time and time again at the back and to slow going forward as we concentrate on playing sideways.

Were there defenders better than ours? No. We're they better organised? Yes. 

We are to slow and never attack any space, we are just to rigid 

We don't have the players to play 3-5-2 so why are we playing that formation?
    Because Jackson is building towards next season.
    Do you think that style and speed of football will get you promoted?

How many players does JJ need to make 3-5-2 work and do you think he will get them?
    For the starting 11: GK, ball-playing RCB, ball-playing LCB, mobile RWB, dominant CM, Striker x2, along with backup for LCB, CB, Attacking CM, LWB. If you get high quality players for the starting 11, playing consistently, then they will start to form the kind of partnerships that would allow us to be more incisive and ruthless in attack. I don't think that we'll get what we need, however. 
    Do you think we will attract or.get those type of players?
    Not with the needed quality, no.
    So more of the same next season then 
    I predict we'll at least have better depth for the formation, but probably playoff push at best unless we get quality in all the positions I listed above.
  • Options
    When will JJ learn that Matthews can’t defend - if you get a chance to see the highlights - look where Matthews is on the first goal - please let him go at the end of the season !!
  • Options
    Bloody hell.  Their first goal is terrible from us.  Bloke totally unmarked, makes a mess of it, looks like the chance has gone, and then manages to still get a shot in from behind where he picked the ball up - terrible 
  • Options
    real end of season feel about it. Just need season to be over now 
  • Options
    Just crept over the 10k and largely due to a large number of away fans - more than I thought for Lincoln!
  • Options
    Three players we should be looking at are McGrandles and Scully from Lincoln and Stockdale from Morecombe.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    *removed some arrant mockery of Muttley's spelling*

Stockton would be a decent signing, but will have plenty of options 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Apologies for the typo

I have been banging on about Stockton for a while and usually spell his name right! I think his game has a lot of what we are missing. 

• Options
    edited April 2022
    I thought at times we played quite well but we're obviously missing a clinical half-chance finisher of the Killer, Clive, Bradley, Lyle type.
    Which I have highlighted time & time again over the past 2 seasons.

Get a 20+ goal a season striker like those mentioned above & then a midfield who can deliver to them (like a Parker, Kinsella, Andy Reid, Holmes, Aribo etc.....) then top 6 is very much achievable. I'm useless at remembering or recognising players but  names that appear every week on SSS in our League are Carl Stockton and Alfie May.......but any decent scoutng set up should have pages of strikers who would fit the bill.
  • Options
    edited April 2022

How many have we conceded via that position this season? Might as well just put a Welcome sign up. 

No, we either play with a right back who is trying to play as a winger or a winger trying to help out defending. Neither are doing the job well enough & that's why we are leaking goals down the right.

But Jackson has his coaching badges so he must be right. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Wasnt at the game only only just seen the highlights. Where are all our chances that people have been banging on about ? Would be good to see a "proper" highlights package that shows goal attempts rather than just 2 sendings off & the goals. Also, you can"t blame Leko for their 2nd - he was attempting to go for the ball. The Lincoln player narrowly beats him to it & then they attack the space that Leko "should" be defending if he was a right back. But he wasnt a right back he was a right wing back. There is your problem. 

And btw - Leko is neither a winger nor a right back. Not only are we trying to put square pegs into round holes, the square peg is made of Lego & not up to the job.
  • Options
    It's quite rare that a shot smashing against the bar doesn't make the highlights!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Smashing hangover and an ass like a fucking volcano after ordering fuck knows what in a Senegalese place on Friday. So,  saw the first 20 minutes before crashing out in agony and reviving for the second half.

We looked alright without being spectacular or awful in that 20 from what I remember, half time and find us 1-0 down and Gilbey who's doing his best to become most shocking player this season sent off.

Start of the second half we looked ok for first 10mins or so despite being down to 10, they got a sending off and back to even numbers we reverted to type and had the collapse.

Was always bound to happen after they got a ridiculous first goal in (joke defending). We're like dipping a rich tea  biscuit in a cuppa, small window of opportunity where its going great before complete and utter fucking disaster. 

• Options
    What did Gilbey actually get his second yellow for?  I thought the ref was booking Clare for a hard, fair tackle fractionally after the whistle.

I thought the initial whistle was for a borderline, hard ball-and-man tackle from a Lincoln player. So what did Gilbey do? Maybe tug the tackler and stop him getting up quickly? 
  • Options
    What did Gilbey actually get his second yellow for?  I thought the ref was booking Clare for a hard, fair tackle fractionally after the whistle.

I thought the initial whistle was for a borderline, hard ball-and-man tackle from a Lincoln player. So what did Gilbey do? Maybe tug the tackler and stop him getting up quickly? 
    Shirt pulling and it was blatant as hell
  • Options

No, we either play with a right back who is trying to play as a winger or a winger trying to help out defending. Neither are doing the job well enough & that's why we are leaking goals down the right.

But Jackson has his coaching badges so he must be right. 
    Leko was out of position after missing the tackle, but Clare the right CB was also at fault for allowing the player to cut inside. Indeed probably more his fault than Leko's.
  • Options
    Smashing hangover and an ass like a fucking volcano after order fuck knows what in a Senegalese place on Friday. So,  saw the first 20 minutes before crashing out in agony and reviving for the second half.

We looked alright without being spectacular or awful in that 20 from what I remember, half time and find us 1-0 down and Gilbey who's doing his best to become most shocking player this season sent off.

Start of the second half we looked ok for first 10 or so despite being down to 10, they got a sending off and back to even numbers we reverted to type and had the collapse.

Was always bound to happen after they got a ridiculous first goal in (joke defending). We're like dipping a rich tea  biscuit in a cuppa, small window of opportunity where its going great before complete and utter fucking disaster. 

Love the biscuit dunking analogy....so true. We even know now how long we have before the biscuit needs to come out- dont score first & the tea ends up being ruined.