Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Players we identified using our “black box” system (data and analytics, i.e. catching up with what other clubs have been doing for years, some very successfully)
    Presumably Driesen was using some kind of black box analytics?
    Whether he was in any way qualified or suitable to have such a prominent influence on our recruitment is of course another matter.
    Yeah he would have done, though after he had gone Gallen had said he was working on his own without any scouts. Perhaps it’s no surprise recruitment has suffered in the last few years. Other clubs have been far better at picking out stand outs and younger players to develop from smaller clubs.

Signings like Gunter, Henderson, Souare, Arter, Watson, Leko, Aneke etc scream of a club signing players known to them. Gallen had a link to CM via his brother at Pompey. Lee was known from our promotion season and being Rob’s son. Fraser we had been after for a couple of years.

I have my doubts but hopefully we’ll see the benefit of the new recruitment setup being in place for over a year this summer. Need more like Dobson, CBT and Clare, and fewer like those in the group above.
    TBH I have lost track a little of our current recruitment set-up.
    Didn't we start last season with Roddy, TS, Gallen and Atkins and the black box?
    Did I read recently that Gallen's role is now restricted to negotiation?
  • Options
    Hi there,

I just like to give a shout out to whoever said Whatmough was too injury prone for us to sign on a free last season.

Just made team of the season
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Players we identified using our “black box” system (data and analytics, i.e. catching up with what other clubs have been doing for years, some very successfully)
    Whether he was in any way qualified or suitable to have such a prominent influence on our recruitment is of course another matter.
    Yeah he would have done, though after he had gone Gallen had said he was working on his own without any scouts. Perhaps it’s no surprise recruitment has suffered in the last few years. Other clubs have been far better at picking out stand outs and younger players to develop from smaller clubs.

Signings like Gunter, Henderson, Souare, Arter, Watson, Leko, Aneke etc scream of a club signing players known to them. Gallen had a link to CM via his brother at Pompey. Lee was known from our promotion season and being Rob’s son. Fraser we had been after for a couple of years.

I have my doubts but hopefully we’ll see the benefit of the new recruitment setup being in place for over a year this summer. Need more like Dobson, CBT and Clare, and fewer like those in the group above.
    It's hard not to be cynical about the black box, and the club trying to insinuate that all the good signings were because of it.

Dobson - definitely yes, as he was signed to do a job, and under Jacko has done it very well
    Clare - much more debatable as the black box presumably chose him as a box to box midfielder, not a right CB in a 3
    Kirk - the black box might have evaluated his skills, but did it consider his personal circumstances, hence our "marquee" signing flopped
    Lavelle - too early to pass judgement. To me he looks decent, but not outstanding
    CBT - nothing to do with the black box, as he came on trial himself

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

TBH I have lost track a little of our current recruitment set-up.
    Didn't we start last season with Roddy, TS, Gallen and Atkins and the black box?
    Did I read recently that Gallen's role is now restricted to negotiation?
    Depends if you believe Thomas Sandgaard or RonnieMoore. 
  • Options
    I would release / look to sell all of those crossed through.  Keep the rest. 

Hopefully the likes of Gavin, Kanu, Leaburn, Anderson, Campbell, Henry and Ness can fill the squad and 2-3 of these can come through to make meaningful contributions.

All areas need 1-2 serious first team contenders to be bought in though imo.

AMB
    Harness
    McG

Lavelle
    Deji
    Clare
    Purrington
    Pearce
    Innis
    Famewo

Matthews
    CBT
    DJ
    Soaure
    Castillo
    Gunter
    Leko
    Kirk

Fraser
    Morgan
    Dobson
    JFC
    John
    Lee
    Gilbey
    Watson
    Dempsey

Aneke
    Stockley
    Washington
    Burstow
    Davison
    McG .. you joking been brilliant for us this season considering ever changing defence in front of him saved us host of points .. including Saturday 
    think this is a posting for the jokes thread.
  • Options

Hopefully the likes of Gavin, Kanu, Leaburn, Anderson, Campbell, Henry and Ness can fill the squad and 2-3 of these can come through to make meaningful contributions.

AMB
    Harness
    McG

Lavelle
    Deji
    Clare
    Purrington
    Pearce
    Innis
    Famewo

Matthews
    CBT
    DJ
    Soaure
    Castillo
    Gunter
    Leko
    Kirk

Fraser
    Morgan
    Dobson
    JFC
    John
    Lee
    Gilbey
    Watson
    Dempsey

Aneke
    Stockley
    Washington
    Burstow
    Davison
    McG .. you joking been brilliant for us this season considering ever changing defence in front of him saved us host of points .. including Saturday 
    Please can you tell me what you drink before and during fixtures. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Our squad is nearly now as good as it was this time last year.  Nearly. 

If we had just replaced Pratley, Deji, Smith, Shwartz and Shinnie with Dobson, Clare, Lavelle, CBT and Davison we would probably be there or there abouts in the playoff places.  It wouldn't have mattered that Watson, Gunter et al were all still here.

What's made a massive difference is we didn't, suitably, replace Millar, Maatsen, Amos, Aneke and JFC.  Until the latter two replaced themselves. 

This summer we don't have the issue that 4 of the loans are key players.

5 or 6 first team players, better than what we have, would make a massive difference.  If we don't get that right it doesn't really matter who the back ups are because we won't be good enough anyway. 

This.

Pretty much all comes.down to, will we sign more than the minimum "first teamers" we need, if we only fill the obvious 3 gaps and squad fill then it's a repeat of this season.

Take in to consideration the injury history of some of our starting types - Stockley, JFC, Fraser and Lavelle - not injury prone in the traditional sense but seem to be prone to picking up a serious injury now.

Stockley - hip, and apparently still isn't fully recovered, one bad fall away from chucking it out again?
    JFC - two ACL in almost as many years
    Fraser - picked up a mysterious knee injury, a part of the body notoriously bad for footballers to injure
    Lavelle - rarely injured before joining us and we've seen him break, badly, twice in one season now.

Factor in CBT who's had a few niggles and illness missing game time and, of course, Aneke - will we get 27 appearances or only 13? - that's 6 first team players with potentially dubious fitness.

If we only bring in the 3 decent quality, and if the above players injury trends continue, then we're back to an average line up of Washington, Morgan, Gilbey and CB fillers eg. Pearce, purrington, Inniss, Matthews, Gunter. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    esseffect said:
    Hi there,

I just like to give a shout out to whoever said Whatmough was too injury prone for us to sign on a free last season.

Just made team of the season
    We all know if Whatmough had signed for us we'd have seen him less than we did Roland. 
  • Options
    Didn’t Clare say something along the lines of ‘that’s me done for the season…. I’ve loved my first year at Charlton….. thanks to the fans. See you next season.

As such Pearce could just mean it’s been a pleasure this season?
    But that’s not how rumours work. 😉
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

AMB
    Harness
    McG

Lavelle
    Deji
    Clare
    Purrington
    Pearce
    Innis
    Famewo

Matthews
    CBT
    DJ
    Soaure
    Castillo
    Gunter
    Leko
    Kirk

Fraser
    Morgan
    Dobson
    JFC
    John
    Lee
    Gilbey
    Watson
    Dempsey

Aneke
    Stockley
    Washington
    Burstow
    Davison
    You would get rid of all of those players and keep Purrington?
    I'd keep him, definitely not as first choice though. But given the limited squad numbers allowed (21 i think) and the fact he can cover both LB and LCB, i think he's worth keeping. 
    Exactly my thinking.
  • Options
    We'll just have to Ride on Time regarding all the Black Box signings!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    It must have given off a lot of static electricity

• Options
    Redhenry said:

AMB
    Harness
    McG

Lavelle
    Deji
    Clare
    Purrington
    Pearce
    Innis
    Famewo

Matthews
    CBT
    DJ
    Soaure
    Castillo
    Gunter
    Leko
    Kirk

Fraser
    Morgan
    Dobson
    JFC
    John
    Lee
    Gilbey
    Watson
    Dempsey

Aneke
    Stockley
    Washington
    Burstow
    Davison
    You would get rid of all of those players and keep Purrington?
    I'd keep him, definitely not as first choice though. But given the limited squad numbers allowed (21 i think) and the fact he can cover both LB and LCB, i think he's worth keeping. 
    Exactly my thinking.
    I can't believe there aren't better free transfers out there than him.  
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    JJ is deploying CBT and DJ and left wingback now so we don't need Purrington covering there. It would be smarter to bring a dedicated CB in.

One way to frame these questions is to ask if this player were available on a free, would we be happy signing them?

I personally would be very unhappy if we signed a steady eddie full-back because they would serve no place or purpose in this team.

If we keep him and/or Matthews that says a lot about the season ahead, for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    JJ is deploying CBT and DJ and left wingback now so we don't need Purrington covering there. It would be smarter to bring a dedicated CB in.

One way to frame these questions is to ask if this player were available on a free, would we be happy signing them?

I personally would be very unhappy if we signed a steady eddie full-back because they would serve no place or purpose in this team.

Is Jackson wed to a full back and a winger?  Specifically a right back and a left winger?  A right back and a right footed winger playing on the left? 

I have no idea, I would imagine that question won't be revealed until the squad is settled (probably mid September) and that would dictate if Matthews and/or Purrington get new contracts. 
  • Options
    I hope he isn't
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Is Jackson wed to a full back and a winger?  Specifically a right back and a left winger?  A right back and a right footed winger playing on the left? 

I have no idea, I would imagine that question won't be revealed until the squad is settled (probably mid September) and that would dictate if Matthews and/or Purrington get new contracts. 
    Even this upcoming Saturday could tell us a decent amount with Clare set to miss out.

Does Jackson move Matthews to RCB (as he has a couple of times in the past), or bring in Inniss? That decision will likely dictate which side that the more attacking DJ/CBT plays.

If DJ/CBT end up on the right side with Matthews in the three, I'd imagine we'll see Purrington as the more defensively solid full/wing back on the left.

If he brings in Inniss, it's just a straight swap with Matthews staying wide right and DJ/CBT wide left.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

Even this upcoming Saturday could tell us a decent amount with Clare set to miss out.

Does Jackson move Matthews to RCB (as he has a couple of times in the past), or bring in Inniss? That decision will likely dictate which side that the more attacking DJ/CBT plays.

If DJ/CBT end up on the right side with Matthews in the three, I'd imagine we'll see Purrington as the more defensively solid full/wing back on the left.

If he brings in Inniss, it's just a straight swap with Matthews staying wide right and DJ/CBT wide left.
    I would like to see JFC at left wing back with CBT on the right as a one off look see. 
  • Options
    Part of our problem has been the "can do a job there" types, having full backs at centre-back and wing-back, midfielders in defence etc.

If we're set on 352, and we appear to be, I'd rather we let Purrington and Matthews go and sign proper right and left wing backs so we have those two competing with CBT (and DJ as a 4th choice), and centre backs to play at centre back.
    I agree, but do we need players who can play 2 positions when considering the reduced squad sizes for next season? On that basis, I think one of purington and Matthews will get offered a new 1 year deal
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

I would like to see JFC at left wing back with CBT on the right as a one off look see. 
    I remember JFC had a decent game there once at Fulham so not a terrible idea in a meaningless game. I'd really liked to have seen him back into the midfield dictating the tempo but he has nothing to prove there.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Part of our problem has been the "can do a job there" types, having full backs at centre-back and wing-back, midfielders in defence etc.

If we're set on 352, and we appear to be, I'd rather we let Purrington and Matthews go and sign proper right and left wing backs so we have those two competing with CBT (and DJ as a 4th choice), and centre backs to play at centre back.
    I agree, but do we need players who can play 2 positions when considering the reduced squad sizes for next season? On that basis, I think one of purington and Matthews will get offered a new 1 year deal
    Hopefully Purrington IMO. Same sort of players but Benaldinho has won promotion out of this league once already, has more goal threat than Matthews and left footers that can do a job in multiple positions are harder to come by in general. Not to mention, five years younger.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Both are a bit flawed in that position though

CBT does get caught out defensively from time to time, and as our best attacking threat, it feels a waste having him having to concentrate so much on defending

With DJ, he's better defensively, but doesn't contribute enough in attack. I'm struggling to remember much attacking threat from him on Saturday