Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Said on the CBT topic, no clubs are named so probably come from an agent who wants a better deal with guarantees etc.
  • Options
    Or a club that wants to sell?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We’ve got an optional 1 year extension to take his deal to 2024, would make sense to activate that.
    Yep I'd be activating that now. Then any offer that comes in takes the full contract left into account.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    Or a club that wants to sell?
    Would be a very odd strategy. His performances recently will have put him on the radar for plenty of clubs. 

If we were in the process of trying to offload him for some money, I highly doubt we’d need to push this out to the press to drum up interest.
  • Options
    it’s a common tactic. Clubs wants to sell or cash in then it creates urgency. Clubs do it all the time 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Could do a job as an overlapping CB! Only 22 years old.

Has excellent passing range. Statistically one of the best performing defenders in the league. Played 40 games this season. Was part of the Cambridge side that won promotion from league two last year. 

Has scored 6 league goals from centre back. More than any of our midfielders. (Gilbey has 2).
    So why would he join us. Signed last season so presumably on a 2 or 3 year contract & playing for a side going for automatic promotion. 

We should have signed him LAST season. Too late now. MK Don's signed 2 other players (Twine & Eisa) that were mentioned on here ad infinitum last summer. But we brought in Kirk (shipped out on loan) And Leko & Lee (both on loan) who have been average at best. 

MK Dons & Wigan are examples of how to build a squad for promotion. 
    Agreed, there's ZERO chance of us getting him as Championship clubs will be interested if they don't go up

And of course, coaching plays a part. I doubt he would have scored a goal like that when he played for Cambridge. Maybe if they were at MK, our players would be better too...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

Has excellent passing range. Statistically one of the best performing defenders in the league. Played 40 games this season. Was part of the Cambridge side that won promotion from league two last year. 

Has scored 6 league goals from centre back. More than any of our midfielders. (Gilbey has 2).
    Unfortunately, the days when we could interest an mk player are gone in my view. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Our one shining light recently.
    Cave in to this and they might have to whistle for my season ticket money
    Don’t people understand every player at any club in the country have their price .. whether it’s Liverpool or Us ….. if we got an offer say 3 mill for CBT then we have to accept a player who we rescued from Tranmere about 12 months ago for nothing .. ..

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Chunes said:

So why would he join us. Signed last season so presumably on a 2 or 3 year contract & playing for a side going for automatic promotion. 

We should have signed him LAST season. Too late now. MK Don's signed 2 other players (Twine & Eisa) that were mentioned on here ad infinitum last summer. But we brought in Kirk (shipped out on loan) And Leko & Lee (both on loan) who have been average at best. 

I said something similar earlier in the season, about why would top players join us when we're a midtable team, someone replied saying bollocks, players go wherever is paying the most money, and it seemed everyone was largely in agreement. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Isn’t it a bit early … it’s the 9th April

… fans creaming themselves over Naby, bloody hell! We’re in for a long summer
    Is Maccn05 an anagram of MiserableOldGit?

No, not that I can see but I can ‘a dick’ in your handle 👍🏼
    You’re comparing being an Addick to being a dick?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Our one shining light recently.
    Cave in to this and they might have to whistle for my season ticket money
    Don’t people understand every player at any club in the country have their price .. whether it’s Liverpool or Us ….. if we got an offer say 3 mill for CBT then we have to accept a player who we rescued from Tranmere about 12 months ago for nothing .. ..

Whoosh.
    Like I'm seriously not going to renew my season ticket. I bought my first one in 1973.
    As Charlton fans we know full well every player has his price but I think we are entitled to express dismay and disappointment if our only exciting player might disappear so soon.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

I said something similar earlier in the season, about why would top players join us when we're a midtable team, someone replied saying bollocks, players go wherever is paying the most money, and it seemed everyone was largely in agreement. 
    Ipswich and even more so Wigan weren't tearing it up last season and seemed to have no trouble signing players because they offered the most money. 

Fat lot of good it did Ipswich mind.

To reference Golfies point about Twine and Eisa.  The later wouldn't have gone to MK if they hadn't sold Fraser.   What they did well was signed Twine then sold Fraser.  The difference is we wouldn't of had either.  They had a plan and stuck to it. 

The former would have been a very expensive plan B, when we already had Washington (who wouldn't of had to play on the left wing if we replaced Millar properly).  Of all the things we did wrong last summer, not signing Eisa wasn't one of them. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Their scouting/recruitment has been spot on.
  • Options
    Yes, the time to sign Harry Darling was last summer when MK grabbed him. Not now when he’ll have interest from the league above. It’s worth asking but don’t pin your hopes on it.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Chunes said:

Agreed, there's ZERO chance of us getting him as Championship clubs will be interested if they don't go up

And of course, coaching plays a part. I doubt he would have scored a goal like that when he played for Cambridge. Maybe if they were at MK, our players would be better too...
    Their coaching is good yes but their recruitment has been some of the best in the business over the last two years. The savvy move here is probably to buy their recruitment team!

It might’ve been easier to agree with you if their record of recruitment was poor generally (so therefore likely to be the coaching) but MK are the perfect example of how we should be building a squad for next season. Identify undervalued players that are already capable of doing the things you want, and bring them in to play your system.

We did it once last summer with George Dobson… they’ve done it multiple times over a couple of seasons with Darling, Twine, O’Hora, Parrott, Coventry, Corbeanu, Cumming…
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Dream on unfortunately… he was being linked with a £2m move to joint Martin at Swansea. Don’t think Tommy will be up for that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Isn’t it a bit early … it’s the 9th April

… fans creaming themselves over Naby, bloody hell! We’re in for a long summer
    Is Maccn05 an anagram of MiserableOldGit?

No, not that I can see but I can ‘a dick’ in your handle 👍🏼
    You’re comparing being an Addick to being a dick?
    Oi … Don’t bring me into this 
  • Options
    Or Pearce is?
  • Options
    Reads that way and indicates he has not been retained as a coach at any level either…? He would be seeing him at the training ground etc otherwise. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Their scouting/recruitment has been spot on.
    Was going to say the same.

Instead of looking at which of their players we can sign, we should perhaps be looking at hiring their scouts.
  • Options
    Reads that way and indicates he has not been retained as a coach at any level either…? He would be seeing him at the training ground etc otherwise. 
    Sounds like he saying good luck with your operation. Been a pleasure playing alongside you this season. Nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Chunes said:

But you just know we wouldn’t allow him over the half way line.

we will sign Harry Seacombe