Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    I don’t see Jackson’s lack of pulling power being a major factor - it would be more important if the league was full of big name managers.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I don’t see Jackson’s lack of pulling power being a major factor - it would be more important if the league was full of big name managers.
    Not sure, outside of Charlton is he really a name? He is very unproven as a manager still..
  • Options
    I don't think reputation of the manager matters that much at our level, where they are no Klopps etc.  It is more about selling the club, the chances of success and how much you can pay. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Not sure, outside of Charlton is he really a name? He is very unproven as a manager still..
    No he's not, but that's true of almost every manager in the league. Any fans of clubs from Championship upwards won't particularly recognise any L1 coaches on "name factor" in that sense.

Players will be more aware but there's no one who would have the draw of a (for instance) Powell or Bowyer. 
  • Options
    I agree Bowyer would've certainly had some pulling power, but ultimately i think most players will only care about the clubs chances of promotion and how much they will earn. Players don't sign for Rotherham and MK Dons because Paul Warne and Liam Manning were football superstars.

Some at our level will also care about location. A London based player might not be arsed with moving to Sunderland or Bolton. Also for example if we offer a northern based player 4k a week and a northern club offer 3.5k then he might choose the northern club because living costs are much higher in London. 
    It really is something that needs to be taken into account during the FFP calculations. A London club is hindered by a number of issues including at the top of the list cost of living meaning we need to offer potentially upwards of 50% more for the player to receive the same standard of living as a northern club.
  • Options
    Not quite, but an interesting point! :)
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I disagree, Bowyer got players in because they wanted to learn off him.. I think it does matter for young players to potentially learn off someone who has played at the top level. 
    It would help but our competition for signings will mainly come from other L1 clubs, where there are very few big name managers. Bowyer was a bit of a one off in that way.

Here’s a list, how many on there will sign a player ahead of us because of who their manager is?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/trainer/pokalwettbewerb/GB3

You can exclude a few former Prem players like JFH because they manage smaller clubs who are likely to have much smaller budgets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Not quite, but an interesting point! :)
    @Covered_End_Lad
  • Options
    TS said last night that they  have been working on recruitment for months but he realised that fans won't see that activity.
    Sounds positive, let’s hope they have learned lessons from last and and we can outmanoeuvre the competition

Assume this summer will be the same as last with heavy competition from L1 & Championship clubs. Let’s hope we have the financial muscle.
  • Options
    I agree Bowyer would've certainly had some pulling power, but ultimately i think most players will only care about the clubs chances of promotion and how much they will earn. Players don't sign for Rotherham and MK Dons because Paul Warne and Liam Manning were football superstars.

Some at our level will also care about location. A London based player might not be arsed with moving to Sunderland or Bolton. Also for example if we offer a northern based player 4k a week and a northern club offer 3.5k then he might choose the northern club because living costs are much higher in London. 
    Dobson went to Sunderland and Lavelle came from well up north, Morecambe. 
    Hence why i said 'some'. Dobson was at Walsall anyway, so wasn't London based. But Lyle Taylor allegedly turned down Sunderland for us because he didn't want to move up there. 

Were other Northern clubs competing with us and offering similar wages for Lavelle? Genuine question, as i've no idea. 
  • Options
    TS said last night that they  have been working on recruitment for months but he realised that fans won't see that activity.
    but if you expect us to do what Ipswich and Wigan did and spend three times what others are offering then think again.
  • Options
    Lavelle wasn't on our A list
  • Options
    From what I heard at the dinner last night, discussions re any contract extensions have not yet begun. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Sage said:
    I would also hope we have a good idea of who is likely to be released by the Cat 1 academies over the summer. 

There is plenty of talent being let go every year, the George Dobsons of this world. Rather than wait for these players to have a good couple of seasons with other teams in this league and having to pay six figure fees, let’s sign them on free transfers instead.

Kane Wilson another great example. Let go by WBA two years ago and now the League Two player of the year with a dozen plus clubs lining up to sign him
    I think this is an area where we don’t look enough in. We could, and probably would, find some very talented players better that could develop with us for a couple of years and sell on for a good fee. It’s not just our own academy we should be keeping track of, it’s those in other academies who do not have the pathway that we provide.
    I think Charlton actually a very good track record of bring players in from other academies, I would say around 50% of the U23 haven't come all the way through the Charlton system, they have been at other academies.. 

Nick Pope at 19, via Bury ( St Edmunds) after being released by Ipswich.

Ademola Lookman turned up around 16 after being concided too small by many clubs. 

Joe Aribo, in the Kinetic foundation for 2 1/2 years, started as a CB before being converted to a midfielder and Staines was his first taste of men's football at 18 before cafc picked him up.

Mason Burstow had a trial at Chelsea around the time he was at Maidstone, they knew that if he impressed they could offer a million or so at a later date and it's a done deal which is exactly what happened. The bizarre thing is he knows where the goal is but still looks like a boy playing men's football.

I knew about Kevin Ciubotaru the attacking left back who will play for Rangers tonight against Hearts in the Scottish FA youth final for about 2 years when I saw his slicky skills  when he sprints down the flank. I mentioned him to a Cafc scout but because of Brexit it took years to get his complicated situation resolved. Kevin is a Romanian youth international and has a chance.
    He couldn't get clearance before his 18th birthday to sign pro. The Charlton U18 boys knew about him as he played against them last season and they double marked him.
    Insider info is known at every level.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Wasn't Jason Kerr the main target from St Johnstone but went to Wigan?
    At the time appears so, but how many, if any, did we miss out on earlier in the window?
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Steve Gallen said Lavelle was the 2nd choice out of his list of 5 for CB after Kerr.

That is quite high because sometime it's been the 5th choice similar to Josh Parker from Gillingham.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

Steve Gallen said Lavelle was the 2nd choice out of his list of 5 for CB after Kerr.

That is quite high because sometime it's been the 5th choice similar to Josh Parker from Gillingham.
    Doubt we'll know either way. Gallen isn't going to come out and say we were after 10 CB's but after missing out we went for Lavelle because he was better than nobody. 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Redhenry said:
    Wasn't Jason Kerr the main target from St Johnstone but went to Wigan?
    The players been told who staying and going to be offered new deals and who’s going … … 
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Doubt we'll know either way. Gallen isn't going to come out and say we were after 10 CB's but after missing out we went for Lavelle because he was better than nobody. 
    Would be a different strategy to the one employed last January where we decided nobody was better than somebody!

I think Lavelle proved himself worthy of his place here as the season progressed. Looking forward to him growing even more next season. Future captain material IMO.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    I disagree, Bowyer got players in because they wanted to learn off him.. I think it does matter for young players to potentially learn off someone who has played at the top level. 
    Our current manager has played at the top level. 
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Any reason we can convince a player that we want to join is a good one. But I do think the influence of Bowyer’s playing career is somewhat overstated.

If a player is asked “what’s it like playing for someone like Lee Bowyer?” the stock answer is going to be referencing his career. It’s a storyline fed by local journos and club media teams.

Meanwhile you have the likes of Leam Richardson, Paul Warne, Liam Manning at the top of the table all with far less glittering careers who are building squads for the long term, getting the best out of their players.

And even if there is something more to it, compare Jacko’s career to most managers in this league and he’ll come out on top. LB was a bit of an outlier case in that regard.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Our current manager has played at the top level. 
    Yes, fully aware of that, I remember him scoring against us at The Valley - but he didn't have a career at the top level.
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    From what I heard at the dinner last night, discussions re any contract extensions have not yet begun. 
    I find that quite staggering.
    I'd like to believe that it's not all down to the club, but  maybe the player probably trying to play the system.
    However we need to tie down the out of contract players asap, such as Washington and JFC, because they are likely to be on the wanted list of clubs, there has already been rumours surrounding CBT...

• Options
    Redhenry said:

I do agree that they will never say that in public, even if it was closer to the truth than they would want.

But saying that why was it done on deadline day?  Is Kerr really that good that we were happy to wait that long?  We must have known Oshilaja wasn't going to get a new contract last April.  Inniss had his "minutes managed" from the start of preseason and was clearly not fit when the season started.

I really do think someone thought Dempsey, Vennings, Elewere, Clayden, Roddy and Ghandour were good enough and ready to step up.   We signed direct replacements/upgrades on almost all of them at the death.