Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    I agree Bowyer would've certainly had some pulling power, but ultimately i think most players will only care about the clubs chances of promotion and how much they will earn. Players don't sign for Rotherham and MK Dons because Paul Warne and Liam Manning were football superstars.

Some at our level will also care about location. A London based player might not be arsed with moving to Sunderland or Bolton. Also for example if we offer a northern based player 4k a week and a northern club offer 3.5k then he might choose the northern club because living costs are much higher in London. 
    Dobson went to Sunderland and Lavelle came from well up north, Morecambe. 
    Hence why i said 'some'. Dobson was at Walsall anyway, so wasn't London based. But Lyle Taylor allegedly turned down Sunderland for us because he didn't want to move up there. 

Were other Northern clubs competing with us and offering similar wages for Lavelle? Genuine question, as i've no idea. 
    Gallagher picked us over Leeds because his gf lived in Kent.

I'd imagine that the majority of Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs loanees would prefer to stay in London where there friends and family are.
  • Options
    He’s no world beater but his career would suggest that he’s a slight upgrade on Gilbey - if we can unlock the 16/17 version that got promoted, he’s a very good upgrade. If we were able to get a fee for AG and bring this guy in for depth, that wouldn’t be the worst piece of business in the world. 

Not saying he’s the answer to our promotion quest at all, this is about squad building.

Let’s be honest, Shrews aren’t the most exciting side to watch the past two years. I suspect he’s being asked to be much more defensively solid than he ever had to be at Bolton. 

Maybe a change of scenery and being part of a team that creates chances and is expecting to win week in week out might bring the best out of him.
    6 years ago?
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Sat next to Lavelle last night, he said he's been trying to persuade Stockton to join us and mentioned it to the manager but when I asked Jacko about Stockton he said whilst he was a very good player,he was too similar to Aneke and Jayden. So that one is out
    Id rather Stockton than Stockley - Trade? 
    Why? 
    Same age and type of striker. 
    Stockley has 20 odd goals in 50 apps for us. 
    Stockton has 40 odd in 100 for Morecombe. 
    Stockley has played Championship and scored 20 goals in an injury hit season in which we were awful as a team. 
    Stockley has also captained the side and is top bloke. 
    Some weird views on here sometimes. 
    Stockton and Stockley together in our squad would be great but a swap? Odd. 
    I gave my opinion above I think Stockton is more mobile and better with his feet. 

I like Stockley but you do have to play very specifically with him - all about crosses. Stockton offers more variety IMO
    I agree. Stockton is a much better all-round player. 

I'd also add that Stockley is 4th in the league for big chances missed. Stockton proves himself a better finisher at 26th.
  • Options
    Sat next to Lavelle last night, he said he's been trying to persuade Stockton to join us and mentioned it to the manager but when I asked Jacko about Stockton he said whilst he was a very good player,he was too similar to Aneke and Jayden. So that one is out
    Throwing you off the scent knowing it would be posted on a forum perhaps? Nothing wrong with having the two Stockers up there together if one is better with his feet and can help link the play.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    I agree with JJ there, but to be honest I’d rather have Stockton than Stockley. More mobile and offers more all round. Maybe a swap deal ☺️
    Don’t agree with you much😬, but I’d go along with this.👍
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Id rather Stockton than Stockley - Trade? 
    Why? 
    Same age and type of striker. 
    Stockley has 20 odd goals in 50 apps for us. 
    Stockton has 40 odd in 100 for Morecombe. 
    Stockley has played Championship and scored 20 goals in an injury hit season in which we were awful as a team. 
    Stockley has also captained the side and is top bloke. 
    Some weird views on here sometimes. 
    Stockton and Stockley together in our squad would be great but a swap? Odd. 
    I don’t think that’s weird thinking at all, we would get a better style of play possibly as in Stockton being better at bringing others into the game, particularly if we got midfielders willing to get on the end of things. Stockley just doesnt do that enough. So weird no, different opinions are fine.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    I certainly didn't think they were that similar, in the recent match when there was a direct comparison
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Throwing you off the scent knowing it would be posted on a forum perhaps? Nothing wrong with having the two Stockers up there together if one is better with his feet and can help link the play.
    Cross comes in, stockers ball. They collide, the chance is missed
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Reads like JJ is politely saying "if you want to carry on playing then it won't be with us but if you fancy doing just some coaching then maybe"

He might be better going to Gillingham or Wimbledon or even Bromley for a couple of years.
    Would be a sign of ambition if we let Pearce go. There was a recent article where Jackson talked about Robinson having a similar discussion with him - he wanted to continue playing but over time he was offering less on the pitch.

Better we let Pearce go before he gets to that point, and hopefully it’s not just so we can keep Inniss.
  • Options
    Not wanting to make this a JJ thread but I think as far as Sandgaard is concerned the jury on JJ is still out. I don’t see many owners throwing pots of money to managers that they probably are not 100% convinced will be around that long. I suspect if TS gets in the manager he’s 100% behind then he might be inclined to speculate a bit more. 
    You mean like he did with Adkins...😄
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    Reads like JJ is politely saying "if you want to carry on playing then it won't be with us but if you fancy doing just some coaching then maybe"

He might be better going to Gillingham or Wimbledon or even Bromley for a couple of years.
    Would be a sign of ambition if we let Pearce go. There was a recent article where Jackson talked about Robinson having a similar discussion with him - he wanted to continue playing but over time he was offering less on the pitch.

Better we let Pearce go before he gets to that point, and hopefully it’s not just so we can keep Inniss.
    The major difference between the Jacko and Pearce situations is the squad number restrictions that apply now
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Expect to see him being offered a 1 year contract extension then. 
  • Options
    I certainly didn't think they were that similar, in the recent match when there was a direct comparison
    Yeah.....Stockton remained fit all season. 
  • Options
    I would keep Stockley has done well this season despite the injury and confident that he will do well next season 
  • Options
    Cross comes in, stockers ball. They collide, the chance is missed
    Would only happen at Charlton…
  • Options
    Potentially. He seemed genuine enough and he didn't know I was from the forum.

He was quite open in saying he thought we needed one for every position, that he wanted someone who offered something different to the three strikers we already had (He said he hoped that Connor would stay, Connor also said he hoped he would too). I asked if he wanted to get someone with a bit more pace and he said yeah - he then told me to go and persuade the boss to give him some funds with a smile on his face. Then his coffee came and I thought I had taken up enough of his time so no further transfer insights!

This is obviously all with the caveat of they will want to say the right things etc.
  • Options
    Stockley having Championship interest is another rumour I’ve heard from friends … no idea if it has legs. 

So we really might need to think seriously about Stockton or another … I’d be looking at Orient’s Harry Smith 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    Maccn05 said:
    I agree with JJ there, but to be honest I’d rather have Stockton than Stockley. More mobile and offers more all round. Maybe a swap deal ☺️
    Fair enough… happy for you to disagree with me on ownership… but I like to think I can spot a good footballer 😉👍🏼
  • Options
    The front two of Shrewsbury looked useful.

Plymouth had a dominant centre half.

Can't remember their names now but would improve us.
    Is that based purely on their performances against us or have you seen them in other games? I definitely wouldn't judge players simply because of how they played against us. We've made most of the bottom 6 look good at various points this season.
  • Options
    But would he disclose a target ?
    I'm not claiming to have a silver tongue capable of extracting the truth from all by any means - just reporting what I was told.

Funnily enough, Cole was kicking a ball against the wall outside.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    paulfox said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Fair enough… happy for you to disagree with me on ownership… but I like to think I can spot a good footballer 😉👍🏼
    We can’t all agree on everything😂, I thought Stockton  potentially had a better all round game, he seems to be able to make something happen for himself rather than completely rely on service like stockley does. I’m not saying stockley is terrible but certainly limited let’s say.
  • Options
    Stockley is the man. No doubt. <3 
  • Options
    Anyone mentioned Marlon Fossey yet? 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    If Stockley had better service he’d have scored more.
    A player I’d like to see is currently at Wigan (previously Rochdale) and I would guess is unlikely to get much game time at Championship level.  Steven Humphrys (24 y/o) is similar in stature to Stockley but more mobile, left footed and is almost a fusion of Stockley and Washington.  He can play up top on his own, a bit wider or can drop deeper & withdrawn.  I think he’s be a good option to add to the armoury.

id be very surprised to see Stockton as I really do believe he’s a 1 season wonder
    Regarding the service isn't that the same for every striker though... and i'd class as a two season wonder now personally.

Humphrys was very good last season and one I wanted us to be in for.
  • Options
    Any rumours on this rumours thread