Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Anyone mentioned Marlon Fossey yet? 
    Yeah, loads of times.

Practically only target any of current players spoke about at the sponsors dinner and Thomas prefers US players on the roster.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    TS said last night that they  have been working on recruitment for months but he realised that fans won't see that activity.

I think every club up and down the country have been working on recruitment for months, it is something that doesn't really stop.. It is a big summer ahead. 

Be nice to get a couple done early on, but would assume a lot of our targets will have a number of clubs looking at them. Not sure Jacko has the same pulling power as Bowyer had. It might come down to finance, but then is that the type of player we want? Charlton needs to sold as a stepping stone in the players careers. 

I long for the day when that stops happening at Charlton !

Ademola Lookman joined Charlton for that very reason; three different people all confirmed that to me. A close football friend of Ademola's who played in the same boy's team at Waterloo. (Semi pro, 24 year old)
    An agent/rep and a dad of another young footballer at the valley, all said the same story that if Lookman impressed he would be fast tracked to the first team squad. 

The only reason that Lookman was without a club before joining Charlton was despite his skill levels on the ball, the concensus was he might be too small and not strong enough for men's football.(within a couple of 1st team matches that was not the case !)  It really isn't an exact science with young players and their development on and off the pitch. 

Joe Pigott's dad told me that Joe Gomez was the best prospect in our academy when Joe was 14, so no surprise that Gomez was fast tracked to the first team squad at 17.

The USP at Charlton especially to the young players their parents  and reps ever since we lost our Premier status is you can use Charlton as a stepping stone. That is the harsh reality of life at Cafc and I suspect has been for so many decades.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Swisdom said:
    If Stockley had better service he’d have scored more.
    A player I’d like to see is currently at Wigan (previously Rochdale) and I would guess is unlikely to get much game time at Championship level.  Steven Humphrys (24 y/o) is similar in stature to Stockley but more mobile, left footed and is almost a fusion of Stockley and Washington.  He can play up top on his own, a bit wider or can drop deeper & withdrawn.  I think he’s be a good option to add to the armoury.

id be very surprised to see Stockton as I really do believe he’s a 1 season wonder
    Regarding the service isn't that the same for every striker though... and i'd class as a two season wonder now personally.

Humphrys was very good last season and one I wanted us to be in for.
    If Stockley is 4th in the league for big chances missed, that would suggest he's not getting that bad a service.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    TS said last night that they  have been working on recruitment for months but he realised that fans won't see that activity.

I think every club up and down the country have been working on recruitment for months, it is something that doesn't really stop.. It is a big summer ahead. 

Be nice to get a couple done early on, but would assume a lot of our targets will have a number of clubs looking at them. Not sure Jacko has the same pulling power as Bowyer had. It might come down to finance, but then is that the type of player we want? Charlton needs to sold as a stepping stone in the players careers. 

Ademola Lookman joined Charlton for that very reason; three different people all confirmed that to me. A close football friend of Ademola's who played in the same boy's team at Waterloo. (Semi pro, 24 year old)
    An agent/rep and a dad of another young footballer at the valley, all said the same story that if Lookman impressed he would be fast tracked to the first team squad. 

The only reason that Lookman was without a club before joining Charlton was despite his skill levels on the ball, the concensus was he might be too small and not strong enough for men's football.(within a couple of 1st team matches that was not the case !)  It really isn't an exact science with young players and their development on and off the pitch. 

Joe Pigott's dad told me that Joe Gomez was the best prospect in our academy when Joe was 14, so no surprise that Gomez was fast tracked to the first team squad at 17.

The USP at Charlton especially to the young players their parents  and reps ever since we lost our Premier status is you can use Charlton as a stepping stone. That is the harsh reality of life at Cafc and I suspect has been for so many decades.
    Unfortunately it is a reality for clubs like Charlton.. Unless you a top 10 in the premier league, I am sure it is the case for most clubs.  
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Unfortunately it is a reality for clubs like Charlton.. Unless you a top 10 in the premier league, I am sure it is the case for most clubs.  
    Exactly and maybe even higher than that to be fair. I think unless you're City, Liverpool, Chelsea or Man U then other clubs are always a stepping stone and Liverpool are only included because they're now very good. When they weren't that good they lost Torres to Chelsea and Sterling to City.

Even clubs the size of Spurs and Arsenal have lost their best players to richer, more successful clubs. Ashley Cole, Kyle Walker, Berbatov, Carrick, Adebayor, van Persie, Nasri, Alexis Sanchez. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Agree Dubai:
    That's why it's paramount that we can get back to the championship because the majority of players won't be good enough for the Premier but it would be great if we could establish ourselves as a Championship team so that good young talent from our academies can have a career at Cafc while accepting that the talents of Gomez and Lookman will always rise to a higher level.
    Even if we get to the championship, it isn't going to stop our young players leaving.. Lookman career I don't think has kicked on as much as we all thought, still has time on his side.. 

Gomez has been so unlucky with injuries, I think he needs to move to get the career going.. But I suppose tough decision when you are playing at a club like Liverpool, and the direction they are going in!
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Sat next to Lavelle last night, he said he's been trying to persuade Stockton to join us and mentioned it to the manager but when I asked Jacko about Stockton he said whilst he was a very good player,he was too similar to Aneke and Jayden. So that one is out
    Id rather Stockton than Stockley - Trade? 
    Why? 
    Same age and type of striker. 
    Stockley has 20 odd goals in 50 apps for us. 
    Stockton has 40 odd in 100 for Morecombe. 
    Stockley has played Championship and scored 20 goals in an injury hit season in which we were awful as a team. 
    Stockley has also captained the side and is top bloke. 
    Some weird views on here sometimes. 
    Stockton and Stockley together in our squad would be great but a swap? Odd. 
    I gave my opinion above I think Stockton is more mobile and better with his feet. 

I like Stockley but you do have to play very specifically with him - all about crosses. Stockton offers more variety IMO

The trade comment was a bit of a joke to be honest, but you're point about what Stockton brings to the team is exactly why I said I'd prefer Stockton. I'm not unhappy with Stockley - just think Stockton offers more
  • Options
    Any rumours on this rumours thread 
    Surely everyone knows by now that the rumours thread rarely has any rumours
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Was told a few weeks ago we are looking at Jack Iredale. Cambridge UTD left wing-back. Believe his contract is due to expire.
    Iredale was born in Scotland, before moving to New Zealand and then Australia at a young age.[2] He suffered three anterior cruciate ligament injuries playing football between the ages of 15 and 18.[2]

Sounds right up our street!

(Seems he's been OK since!).
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Was told a few weeks ago we are looking at Jack Iredale. Cambridge UTD left wing-back. Believe his contract is due to expire.
    Was impressive against Wigan the other week when I saw him. A few Cambridge players looked handy. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    If Stockley had better service he’d have scored more.
    A player I’d like to see is currently at Wigan (previously Rochdale) and I would guess is unlikely to get much game time at Championship level.  Steven Humphrys (24 y/o) is similar in stature to Stockley but more mobile, left footed and is almost a fusion of Stockley and Washington.  He can play up top on his own, a bit wider or can drop deeper & withdrawn.  I think he’s be a good option to add to the armoury.

id be very surprised to see Stockton as I really do believe he’s a 1 season wonder
    I spent all last summer banging on about Humphrys, I was gutted when he went to Wigan. I’d much rather him than Stockley, not that Stockley’s a bad player.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Can play as a centre back in the back 3 as well and from what I’ve seen of Cambridge fans, would sound like an upgrade on Ben Purrington 

https://twitter.com/matchday365/status/1455988820609060872?s=21&t=zlB3xt6zoWGSxOG4MkxM5A
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We have known we would be L1 again for ages it is odd we would leave a decision on contracts until after the last game.  Feels like the comments end of last season which proved an error on Aneke and Amos.

I do wonder if JJs performance related contract is based on top half and hence we are stuck until the outcome of this game to know who manager will be.  Hope not as that would be crazy.
    Wouldn’t make sense, TS has surely made up his mind either way. If JJ is going I’d expect us to know by early next week.
  • Options
    ButtleJR said:
    Can play as a centre back in the back 3 as well and from what I’ve seen of Cambridge fans, would sound like an upgrade on Ben Purrington 

https://twitter.com/matchday365/status/1455988820609060872?s=21&t=zlB3xt6zoWGSxOG4MkxM5A
    Looked good against us last week - Oddly took their corners from what I remember
  • Options
    Let the transfers be clandestine until big Ronnie Dangerfield has them in the office putting pen to paper and scarfy placed around their neck and in front of the Badge with JJ doing the hand shakes. Because of the great expectations not enough credit will go to JJ for getting the club out of the brown stuff and rising 10 places up the table. Very impressive considering we had players "your not fit to wear the shirt" and the worse squad ever after half a dozen games !
    The irony that Dobson, Clare and CBT are in most fans/critics top 3 for 21/22.

Until then feel free to speculate on every player who looked decent against Charlton this season, as it will be quite a long list. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    We have known we would be L1 again for ages it is odd we would leave a decision on contracts until after the last game.  Feels like the comments end of last season which proved an error on Aneke and Amos.

I do wonder if JJs performance related contract is based on top half and hence we are stuck until the outcome of this game to know who manager will be.  Hope not as that would be crazy.
    Wouldn’t make sense, TS has surely made up his mind either way. If JJ is going I’d expect us to know by early next week.
    What if he doesn't want to sack him (whether that's financial or because 12th would meet the target)? But if we finish bottom half we can get rid of him for free. I'm not saying it's the case but I don't agree it doesn't make sense. 
  • Options
    Let the transfers be clandestine until big Ronnie Dangerfield has them in the office putting pen to paper and scarfy placed around their neck and in front of the Badge with JJ doing the hand shakes. Because of the great expectations not enough credit will go to JJ for getting the club out of the brown stuff and rising 10 places up the table. Very impressive considering we had players "your not fit to wear the shirt" and the worse squad ever after half a dozen games !
    The irony that Dobson, Clare and CBT are in most fans/critics top 3 for 21/22.

Until then feel free to speculate on every player who looked decent against Charlton this season, as it will be quite a long list. 
    Our problem is that it is the only time we see these players in more than televised highlights. 

Sometimes it works. Had Charlton Life existed in 1997 I am sure Mendonca would have featured on most lists in the same way as it didn't work with Marcus Maddison or Erhun Oztumer. 
  • Options
    Most of the business is done at the end of the window, be patient...

• Options
    Iredale would be a good start to the summer although we would have strong competition…
  • Options
    Iredale would be a good start to the summer although we would have strong competition…
    Any championship interest rules us out i think
  • Options
    Yep with those teams already in the running I can't see us having a chance to be honest.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

What if he doesn't want to sack him (whether that's financial or because 12th would meet the target)? But if we finish bottom half we can get rid of him for free. I'm not saying it's the case but I don't agree it doesn't make sense. 
    Fair point, so it might be that TS is hoping we lose to save him paying JJ off!