Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• ButtleJR said:
    James Norwood due to be released from Ipswich, would anyone take him?
    His current wages are ridiculous and  out of our level. Turned down Millwall alongside another championship club to join Ipswich. 
    Surely he won’t be getting those sorts of wages again?  Ipswich and Wigan were outliers this season re: the money they threw at it.  It’s looking like it will pay off for Wigan, but not Ipswich.   

I think Norwood will have to accept a lower wage at his next club.  As I understand it, Fraser was on decent money but we matched it, but I think that was more about our need for decent players in Jan

I still think he will come good, but there’s a big focus on a lot of them this season, and he will also have to hit the ground running 
  • cabbles said:
    ButtleJR said:
    His current wages are ridiculous and  out of our level. Turned down Millwall alongside another championship club to join Ipswich. 
    Surely he won’t be getting those sorts of wages again?  Ipswich and Wigan were outliers this season re: the money they threw at it.  It’s looking like it will pay off for Wigan, but not Ipswich.   

I think Norwood will have to accept a lower wage at his next club.  As I understand it, Fraser was on decent money but we matched it, but I think that was more about our need for decent players in Jan

I still think he will come good, but there’s a big focus on a lot of them this season, and he will also have to hit the ground running 
    No chance he will earn his current money again, but still personally I hope to avoid signing players who end up taking huge wage cuts to join us. Just my personal opinion.. I know Piggot is on the move in the summer. Turned down Derby last season to join Ipswich. 

Won’t be easy to attract a good striker with Ipswich splashing championship wages on players.
  • Would we be correct to assume Jackson will want to build the team around a 3-5-2?  

I don’t have an issue with it if that’s the case.  I think the reason it’s caused so much of a challenge at times this season is not having the right players for it - the wing backs being the best example 
  • edited April 2022
    Surely we need a few more experienced pros. Not sure we'll be the success many demand with just youngsters. I'd expect a couple of over 30 players and a repeat of bringing in a number of 22-27 players.

However we do it I just want quality over quantity. Especially if TS believes we only need around 5 players to enhance this squad.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Surely we need a few more experienced pros. Not sure we'll be the success many demand with just youngsters. I'd expect a couple of over 30 players and a repeat of bringing in a number of 22-27 players.

However we do it I just want quality over quantity. Especially if TS believes we only need around 5 players to enhance this squad.
    If we released all the put of contract players Aneke would be our senior pro.  Wouldn't he?

It's so hard to get right Watson, Arter and Gunter were much players than Hughes and Court at there prime.  Arter and Gunter aren't even that old really.  
  • Brannagan from Oxford would be the ideal midfielder to compliment Fraser and Dobson.

Quality player, good age at 25 & scored 14 from midfield this season (exactly what we need).

Expect we pay more than Oxford in wages so definitely someone we may be able to prize away….the cash we hopefully get from Blackpool for Charlie Kirk would probably be enough to get him.
    Dont stand a hope in hell of getting Brannagan

If Oxford aren't lucky enough to keep him, he'll be off to the Championship in the summer.

They've done well to keep him this long in all honesty.
    This is our challenge. Our top targets will have Championship interest. 
  • ButtleJR said:
    He's 32 in September, would rather we looked at someone on an upward trajectory rather than someone going the other way. 
    Ronnie Schwartz was of a similar age when we signed him. Once bitten…..
  • Sponsored links:

• Good player that he may be, in my view signing Norwood would be a prime example of an expensive way of blocking the progress of our own youngsters such as Aaron Henry.
    File the idea under Ben Watson.
  • Richard J said:
    Brannagan from Oxford would be the ideal midfielder to compliment Fraser and Dobson.

Quality player, good age at 25 & scored 14 from midfield this season (exactly what we need).

Expect we pay more than Oxford in wages so definitely someone we may be able to prize away….the cash we hopefully get from Blackpool for Charlie Kirk would probably be enough to get him.

If Oxford aren't lucky enough to keep him, he'll be off to the Championship in the summer.

This is our challenge. Our top targets will have Championship interest. 
    There is going after challenging targets, and then there are completely unrealistic targets even at this level. e.g. Might as well try and ask for Barry Bannan whilst we're at it. 

Id love to be proven wrong with him - But I'm pretty confident at the same time that we don't have a hope in hell. 
  • edited April 2022
    Brannagan from Oxford would be the ideal midfielder to compliment Fraser and Dobson.

People said exactly the same last summer about Fraser, Piggott, Humphrys, Dion Charles etc.

Top players will come here if we pay the wages. 

• Brannagan from Oxford would be the ideal midfielder to compliment Fraser and Dobson.

People said exactly the same last summer about Fraser, Piggott, Humphrys, Dion Charles etc.

Top players will come here if we pay the wages. 

Or go to Wrexham for a lot more!!
  • edited April 2022
    With the recruitment structure and process questions popping up I've dug out some notes and write up from the March castrust Q&A with Sandy should anyone be interested. 

Sandgaard's recruitment input:
    The  boss man´s input on recruitment is making sure we dont deviate away from the type of player the club wants, age, playing style etc. Reads the scout reports and  watches the player videos as well

The process/ structure:
     Martin uses data and statistics to pick out players, has a list for each position, so that we don’t waste time and can be focused on negotiating.  Scott Fraser is a good example of that. Martin’s analysis showed that he was exactly what we needed. Steve Gallen’s main skill is negotiating, and a combination of Steve and Martin is “amazing”. He said that Johnnie has an input, and that everyone is working towards making sure we’re developing a more consistent playing style.  Jump in the car and will take  look at players as well.

Plan for this summer:
    TS said that the club is trying to be more consistent in getting good football players. continue to build a squad that could do well at Championship level. TS - we made some improvements in the midfield, looking to make more. TS says that will always be his focus. "I’m going to focus a lot on the attacking midfielder.." there will be a minimum of a couple of players who will give us a significant boost.

Out of contract players;
    TS  some who won’t be re-signed, some will be loaned out.  Some players with contracts running out are starting the negotiation process. expect to make somewhere between two and four major signings, squad fill with fairly inexpensive but good quality loan players,  “It might be that one of those major signings is a very experienced player, and the rest are prospects for the future on three- or four-year contracts”

Bye bye washy.
  • edited April 2022
    cabbles said:
    "Would we be correct to assume Jackson will want to build the team around a 3-5-2? I don’t have an issue with it if that’s the case. I think the reason it’s caused so much of a challenge at times this season is not having the right players for it - the wing backs being the best example "
    As Johnnie Jackson went with 3-5-2 at Sunderland in his first match in charge after 1 training session with the erratic Leko as the RWB and always calls it 3-5-2 (not 5-3-2, though it's a fluid system so the Wing backs can hold their positions to turn it into a more defensive look in the blink of an eye.
    100% we need two faster wing backs to go with CBT who is our X factor player and like Shaw for England is given licence to attack and in Luke's case was covered by Rice or Phillips when he was constantly in an attacking position.You really can play 3-5-2 and cover the wing back who is attacking when the move breaks down in the oppositions area. 
    If you have more mobile interchangeable players you should hardly notice what formation is being played. Sean Clare has pace and can play RWB, RCB, CB or midfield if needs must. Vital member of our 18 considering it's mandatory to have injuries to key players at Cafc. Curse or they come with a history ? Both scenarios probably.
    14 clean sheets under JJ and other times when we are as open as much as your friendly corner shop. 
    Unless we are certain we have a young Gallagher or Cullen on loan I would add 2 or 3 from our young Academy team. Deji really should kick on this season ( injuries permitting) 
  • edited April 2022
    Having flashbacks to last year’s “can we have a separate ‘Actual Rumours’ thread”. 
    This thread is great as a ‘Players You’d Like to Sign’ thread. 
    It started with an actual rumour, but haven’t seen any for ages. 
  • With the recruitment structure and process questions popping up I've dug out some notes and write up from the March castrust Q&A with Sandy should anyone be interested. 

Sandgaard's recruitment input:
    The  boss man´s input on recruitment is making sure we dont deviate away from the type of player the club wants, age, playing style etc. Reads the scout reports and  watches the player videos as well

The process/ structure:
     Martin uses data and statistics to pick out players, has a list for each position, so that we don’t waste time and can be focused on negotiating.  Scott Fraser is a good example of that. Martin’s analysis showed that he was exactly what we needed. Steve Gallen’s main skill is negotiating, and a combination of Steve and Martin is “amazing”. He said that Johnnie has an input, and that everyone is working towards making sure we’re developing a more consistent playing style.  Jump in the car and will take  look at players as well.

Plan for this summer:
    TS said that the club is trying to be more consistent in getting good football players. continue to build a squad that could do well at Championship level. TS - we made some improvements in the midfield, looking to make more. TS says that will always be his focus. "I’m going to focus a lot on the attacking midfielder.." there will be a minimum of a couple of players who will give us a significant boost.

Out of contract players;
    TS  some who won’t be re-signed, some will be loaned out.  Some players with contracts running out are starting the negotiation process. expect to make somewhere between two and four major signings, squad fill with fairly inexpensive but good quality loan players,  “It might be that one of those major signings is a very experienced player, and the rest are prospects for the future on three- or four-year contracts”

Bye bye washy.
    Not sure it means that, “starting the negotiation process” is football speak for, we’ve had a little chat.

Washington is one who if we can’t replace it would ridiculous to let him go. But there is a chance we could improve on. Personally I think Washington, Aneke and Stockley are one striker short of an excellent league 1 strike force but he isn’t irreplaceable.

Seems like a great guy, our record with him in the team is good so I hope he stays.
  • ButtleJR said:
    No ……If we sign a striker from Ipswich it will be Pigott Who we tired to sign late in Jan window 
  • Didn't realise it's been 5 years since we had a midfielder score double figures in the league (though Aribo got there if you add in the playoff games).

• Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    No ……If we sign a striker from Ipswich it will be Pigott Who we tired to sign late in Jan window 

I really don't think Joe Pigott would be the striker we should go for. As much as I like Joe and his family we need a sharper, faster version of Conor Washington to play alongside Stockley/Aneke to be the foil alongside the big men. Conor could still be a member of the 18 but not my first choice if we had better options.

Pigott should get a League 1 move and he needs to play every week at 28. He may decide to stay at Ipswich where he is one of the better paid strikers in League 1 as I'm sure he won't take a pay cut ? Catch 22 money or game time that is the decision.
  • edited April 2022

Don't need him, we've got Gilbey.
  • Chunes said:

Don't need him, we've got Gilbey.
    Steam currently exiting Leuths ears on reading that 😂😂😂
  • edited April 2022
    seth plum said:
    Good player that he may be, in my view signing Norwood would be a prime example of an expensive way of blocking the progress of our own youngsters such as Aaron Henry.
    Did Yann block the progress of our youngsters?  Would have been much better to have played Tuna all season? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    Good player that he may be, in my view signing Norwood would be a prime example of an expensive way of blocking the progress of our own youngsters such as Aaron Henry.
    Did Yann block the progress of our youngsters?  Would have been much better to have played Tuna all season? 
    He didn't. I agree. 

But  Pigott and Michael Smith would be better examples of players who could have broken through.

They both needed to drop a level or two to reermerge as good strikers. 
  • Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    He didn't. I agree. 

But  Pigott and Michael Smith would be better examples of players who could have broken through.

They both needed to drop a level or two to reermerge as good strikers. 
    But neither Smith nor Pigott were good enough until about 3 years later, mainly due to our poor management/ownership,not them becoming better.  Smith and Pigott would have got in our teams about half the seasons since they left because we got worse.
  • edited April 2022
    Scoham said:
    Of course they have but Pigott wouldn't have got in to our team on merit until about 2017.  That's because we got worse. 

Both Smith and Pigott are top league 1 and poor championship strikers.  The fact they would both get in our team says more about us, than them. 

Would you ever have picked either of them, at the respective time, over Yann, Haynes, BWP, Fuller, Igor, Taylor, Grant?  Even Watt.  Pigott wasn't even as good as Church and Sordell, at the time. 
  • edited April 2022
    Are we as fans in danger of pushing the club into throwing the baby out with the bath water?

It’s clear that there is a lot of players that need to be moved on. On the other side of the coin, there are players here like Lavelle, Fraser, Clare, Dobson, CBT, Stockley and Aneke that should be retained and (alongside much needed additions) form the basis of CAFC over the next 3-5 seasons if possible.

What would be the point in paying off some of the players that remain contracted? Those bodies need to be replaced and that eats into whatever transfer budget we have for our top targets.

I would much prefer a summer with 5-6 top quality signings to help push us forward over 12-15 mediocre signings to fill out a squad capable of another mid table finish.
    Don't they all already have contracts into next year already? 

The debate is mostly going to be about the players out of contract this season. I would let them all go and don't think the likes of Matthews or Pearce have anything else to offer us. Forster-Caskey is the exception but I would make him prove his fitness over preseason before earning a contract for next year. 

Keeping on average/poor players out of need for 'depth' just means we end up with a poor squad full of the same old players again.