Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    Richard J said:
    Would Ben Thompson be a good, cheap, local back up for Dobson?

Gills fans reckon they will get £350K or so for Tucker from a tribunal which is the amount we have spent a number of times since TS joined.  Would he be the perfect Pearce replacement?
    I like him as a player, but wasn't he negative about us when he played for Millwall.
    With all those good players it is a surprise that Gillingham went down. 
    I don't know too much about Thompson, but Tucker has looked a good young player.

Relegated sides can have a couple of good players if the other 20-odd are shite!  
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Richard J said:

Gills fans reckon they will get £350K or so for Tucker from a tribunal which is the amount we have spent a number of times since TS joined.  Would he be the perfect Pearce replacement?
    I like him as a player, but wasn't he negative about us when he played for Millwall.
    He might not be so negative now given he could be plying his trade in league 2 next season 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    "Martin’s improvements to the recruiting system have blown him away. It’s now a lot easier to work with. Before that it was theoretical, and before that pretty much nothing other than Gallen’s negotiating skills"

That para stuck out for me. Where to start!
    I don't suppose he elaborated?
    No, can’t add anything more to that.

What I’d take from it is with the setup more established we’ll be looking across a wider pool of players. Hopefully we’ll benefit from that but if we put too much focus on stats or use them badly it could go horribly wrong.
    I just wonder if we are a bit late to the party here and it's all a bit unnecessary.

Because of reasons that don't need going over here the pool of possible players we can sign is really small.

If we say want a left back there aren't 100s of possible options are there?   You don't need an algorithm to get it down to half dozen do you.  Seems there is a bit too much faith put in it.  The world has changed since Brentford did it.

We’re just catching up with other clubs aren’t we? So we need something in place, though as you say things have changed - using data isn’t as big of an advantage, it’s now more about how you use it.
    It just sounds like they are putting a lot of eggs in the one basket like it's a magical solution.

If you use a striker as an example, when Bretford started it the pool of players was in the 1000s.  I am guessing now there are about 500 professional strikers in Britain?  You can probably rule out 450 of them straight away.  Then age and type of striker your left with about half a dozen.  That you would have to scout anyway.

They would probably all be players you knew about anyway.  I think we have missed the bus with this to be honest.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    "Martin’s improvements to the recruiting system have blown him away. It’s now a lot easier to work with. Before that it was theoretical, and before that pretty much nothing other than Gallen’s negotiating skills"

What I’d take from it is with the setup more established we’ll be looking across a wider pool of players. Hopefully we’ll benefit from that but if we put too much focus on stats or use them badly it could go horribly wrong.
    I just wonder if we are a bit late to the party here and it's all a bit unnecessary.

Because of reasons that don't need going over here the pool of possible players we can sign is really small.

If we say want a left back there aren't 100s of possible options are there?   You don't need an algorithm to get it down to half dozen do you.  Seems there is a bit too much faith put in it.  The world has changed since Brentford did it.

We’re just catching up with other clubs aren’t we? So we need something in place, though as you say things have changed - using data isn’t as big of an advantage, it’s now more about how you use it.
    It just sounds like they are putting a lot of eggs in the one basket like it's a magical solution.

If you use a striker as an example, when Bretford started it the pool of players was in the 1000s.  I am guessing now there are about 500 professional strikers in Britain?  You can probably rule out 450 of them straight away.  Then age and type of striker your left with about half a dozen.  That you would have to scout anyway.

They would probably all be players you knew about anyway.  I think we have missed the bus with this to be honest.
    So are you saying we should only use traditional scouting?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Didn't Dreisden use data?

Through our network with Standard Liege didn't we have access to players across Europe pre Brexit?

My problem with the early Roland era was that they were clearly not good at the execution and implementation.

In contrast Brentford utilised their network and used data effectively.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

So are you saying we should only use traditional scouting?
    No but I wouldn't suggest that data should be the highest priority for the reasons above.  Especially if the problems with the data caused last summers slow business then panic.  

I certainly don't buy into the "now the data is better we will be better" narrative.  The field of players is to small for it to be a game changer.  If it throws up a wild card brilliant, but that should be the cherry, not the whole cake.
  • Options
    I think a combination of good scouting and data is best. 
  • Options
    A bit of a mystery how Thompson ended up at Gillingham in the first place. I imagine he only went there as it was convenient, and as a shop window for his next move
  • Options
    A bit of a mystery how Thompson ended up at Gillingham in the first place. I imagine he only went there as it was convenient, and as a shop window for his next move
    Simply to play for Harris again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Uboat said:
    TS is such a weird one. When I read an interview I’ll feel really positive and encouraged and then he’ll say a couple of really weird things which make you question whether he knows what the hell he’s talking about. ‘Making coaching 10% more intensive’ sounds like such clueless bollocks. And the fact that the one thing that really impresses him is what his own son has done really makes you wonder. 
    I’d imagine 10% more efficient, is bred from the Adkins debacle.

the whole ‘walking is brilliant’ and constant corporate sayings/phrases (FAIL- first attempt in learning etc) suggested that he wasn’t going to have an intense training regime that was picky and finicky about details- results and performances proved that
  • Options
    Found this interesting:

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/the-reality-about-where-things-stand-for-ex-millwall-man-ben-thompson-after-portsmouth-homecoming-3666445

If that's to be believed, he wasn't really match fit etc when leaving Millwall, so maybe there weren't a lot of options and Harris being the link sealed it.

Wonder if Portsmouth might go in for him this summer if he's popular there?
  • Options

He set up the system and implemented it .. now it’s being used by SG recruitment team .. MS no more then IT bloke … anyone who thinks he got more power time to stand down 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    One one fan on Twitter adamant that CBT has strong interest from Barnsley.

Will say a lot if we sold to a L1 rival 
    One word there Twitter ….. 
    Assume you mean everything on Twitter is rubbish … which is very funny coming from yourself 👍🏼
    As I not been on Twitter for long time now .. because of the clowns calling themselves Charlton fans .. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    One one fan on Twitter adamant that CBT has strong interest from Barnsley.

Will say a lot if we sold to a L1 rival 
    One word there Twitter ….. 
    Assume you mean everything on Twitter is rubbish … which is very funny coming from yourself 👍🏼
    As I not been on Twitter for long time now .. because of the clowns calling themselves Charlton fans .. 
    I’m on twitter 
  • Options

He set up the system and implemented it .. now it’s being used by SG recruitment team .. MS no more then IT bloke … anyone who thinks he got more power time to stand down 
    TS himself said the analysts report into MS, not SG.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-martin-sandgaard-appointed-charlton-athletics-director-of-analysis/

“Now he is responsible for all of the data analysis. Those people formally report to him.

“He reports directly to me. Steve Gallen [director of football] also reports directly to me. Steve is the negotiating part of it. If you want to sell anything in your house, just ask Steve Gallen! He is the best negotiator you can find.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    seth plum said:
    From the scraps of information we glean, and from my limited insight, it looks as if Thomas is a fan of the Brailsford method of improvement.
    Marginal gains … Nothing wrong with that 
  • Options
    Massimo Luongo, Sheff Wednesday,midfielder
  • Options
    Richard J said:

He's a Millwall fan isn't he? Tweeted something like 'good to see some things stay the same' when they beat us behind closed doors
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's probably the least qualified in all 4 divisions.
  • Options
    Delfin said:
    29 year old Sheff Weds midfielder.  Out of contract this summer.  Spends a lot of the time injured.  Decent when fit.

These signings have not worked out well for us in recent years.

A rumour or just a name thrown out there @Delfin
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    seth plum said:
    From the scraps of information we glean, and from my limited insight, it looks as if Thomas is a fan of the Brailsford method of improvement.
    There isn't apart from the fact its costing 8 million a year to stand still.  It's cost nearly 20 million, this time next year it will be nearer 25, it racks up quickly.

How long can you tread water for?
  • Options
    Delfin said:
    29 year old Sheff Weds midfielder.  Out of contract this summer.  Spends a lot of the time injured.  Decent when fit.

These signings have not worked out well for us in recent years.

A rumour or just a name thrown out there @Delfin
    Played for Spurs and QPR so may fancy a move back to London 
  • Options
    There is always a huge amount of Agent churning.
    I am trying to think of the last player heavily rumoured to be coming to us that we ended up signing.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Doesn't fill me with much confidence that his son, with zero experience in football, is playing such an integral part in our recruitment.
    If he’s solely using data then he doesn’t need any expertise in football. He’s not assessing anything else other than stats and putting those into the other criteria mix.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

TS himself said the analysts report into MS, not SG.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-martin-sandgaard-appointed-charlton-athletics-director-of-analysis/

“Now he is responsible for all of the data analysis. Those people formally report to him.

“He reports directly to me. Steve Gallen [director of football] also reports directly to me. Steve is the negotiating part of it. If you want to sell anything in your house, just ask Steve Gallen! He is the best negotiator you can find.
     Reckon they'll need him in the ticket office!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    stonemuse said:
    seth plum said:
    There isn't apart from the fact its costing 8 million a year to stand still.  It's cost nearly 20 million, this time next year it will be nearer 25, it racks up quickly.

How long can you tread water for?
    No idea … just pointing out it has proved to be a winning approach