Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Options
    One one fan on Twitter adamant that CBT has strong interest from Barnsley.

Will say a lot if we sold to a L1 rival 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

One word there Twitter ….. 
  • Options

• Options
    Maccn05 said:

another one.....Barnsley!
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

How you seen how wealthy their owners are … makes TS look like a pauper.

Let’s hope your right
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

Assume you mean everything on Twitter is rubbish … which is very funny coming from yourself 👍🏼
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Let’s hope your right
    you’re 🫠
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Let’s hope your right
    you’re 🫠
    Ah the classic CL punctuation put down… well done mate 👍🏼
  • Options
    "Martin’s improvements to the recruiting system have blown him away. It’s now a lot easier to work with. Before that it was theoretical, and before that pretty much nothing other than Gallen’s negotiating skills"

That para stuck out for me. Where to start!
    I don't suppose he elaborated?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Let’s hope your right
    Wants them to break even and be self sufficient. Hence why they sold a key player (Wills or a striker don't remember) to a promotion rival the year they went up and hence why they were quickly relegated.

Surely we learnt from RD that a wealthy owner does not always buy success.

I would be very surprised if CBT went to Barnsley as if he was to go then he himself would likely want to try Championship.  
  • Options
    Well it’s somewhat encouraging that some key areas which have had issues have not only been identified, such as slow recruitment, but the actual reasons and for why and how they want to address it as well.

I do find that issues around training intensity to be slightly worrying though. Perhaps a 10% intensity increase (not sure how this is all judged), could lead to us maintaining the level we did when JJ was caretaker manager this year - however there’s no point in having players being able to run around loads (cough cough Gilbey cough cough) but no effort put into the technical side like where to move to, when to press, how to move the ball quickly etc.. which is all things we sorely lack. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Listened to the TS POTY interview. It’s about 1 hour 31 minutes in.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/94027/charlton-live-poty-podcast-released-packed-with-exclusive-interviews-inc-jackson-and-sandgaard

Some of the key points (not word for word):

He talked about our slow recruitment last summer being one of the main issues.

Claims our recruitment system is much improved.

Mentioned late signings resulting in more injuries due to a lack of preseason.

He’s expecting a much better transfer window. 

We started on it about two months ago. Mentioned difficulty in convincing agents that players should sign now and not wait until deadline day.

Sounds like in the past we made some signings through agents suggesting players.

Talked about loads of small improvements that’ll eventually be seen on the pitch, including having better facilities through the work on the academy. Individual coaching. Better recruitment. Wants our training to be at least 10% more intense, like it is for Championship clubs.

Says he’s £16m in with £8m this season. Said we have around the third highest playing budget in the league and expects it to be in the same ballpark next season.

Martin’s improvements to the recruiting system have blown him away. It’s now a lot easier to work with. Before that it was theoretical, and before that pretty much nothing other than Gallen’s negotiating skills.

Doesn't want individual coaches just moving cones about, wants them adding value. Set pieces and “things like that” to be worked on.

Said he’s pretty confident about where we’ll end up. Hopes long term fans appreciate him speaking his mind rather than being politically correct.

Euell gave a presentation a few months ago on coaching techniques he wants to implement, TS clearly impressed.

Called JJ a legend.
    Well, reading that has just got me excited for the 30th of July.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Let’s hope your right
    you’re 🫠
    Sorry Mac…..don’t take offence, it’s just me being a bit anal rather than trying to be cocky….your and you’re, there, they’re and their being my particular problems.
    Of course, I make mistakes myself quite often (as many of us do) and would genuinely welcome them being pointed out to me so that I can improve my own spelling and grammar.
    It’s something which has improved immeasurably since I started posting on Charlton forums……though I’m still not up in the Grapevine league by a long shot.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    Listened to the TS POTY interview. It’s about 1 hour 31 minutes in.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/94027/charlton-live-poty-podcast-released-packed-with-exclusive-interviews-inc-jackson-and-sandgaard

Some of the key points (not word for word):

He talked about our slow recruitment last summer being one of the main issues.

Claims our recruitment system is much improved.

Mentioned late signings resulting in more injuries due to a lack of preseason.

He’s expecting a much better transfer window. 

We started on it about two months ago. Mentioned difficulty in convincing agents that players should sign now and not wait until deadline day.

Sounds like in the past we made some signings through agents suggesting players.

Talked about loads of small improvements that’ll eventually be seen on the pitch, including having better facilities through the work on the academy. Individual coaching. Better recruitment. Wants our training to be at least 10% more intense, like it is for Championship clubs.

Says he’s £16m in with £8m this season. Said we have around the third highest playing budget in the league and expects it to be in the same ballpark next season.

Martin’s improvements to the recruiting system have blown him away. It’s now a lot easier to work with. Before that it was theoretical, and before that pretty much nothing other than Gallen’s negotiating skills.

Doesn't want individual coaches just moving cones about, wants them adding value. Set pieces and “things like that” to be worked on.

Said he’s pretty confident about where we’ll end up. Hopes long term fans appreciate him speaking his mind rather than being politically correct.

Euell gave a presentation a few months ago on coaching techniques he wants to implement, TS clearly impressed.

Called JJ a legend.
    Thing that jumps out at me there is that he wants our training sessions to be 10% more intense like it is in the Championship. Wtf !!!!!! You don’t need to be a rich club to have training methods as good as is required. If our training is only 90% as “intense” as the championship then let’s ask why ? That’s down purely to coaches not getting the players as fit as they could be. Are Millwall 10% fitter and train more intensely that we do ? Struggling to get my head around this one. Every time the club make a statement it poses as many questions as answers.
  • Options
    From the scraps of information we glean, and from my limited insight, it looks as if Thomas is a fan of the Brailsford method of improvement.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Let’s hope your right
    How much they spent since they’ve been there? 
  • Options
    "Martin’s improvements to the recruiting system have blown him away. It’s now a lot easier to work with. Before that it was theoretical, and before that pretty much nothing other than Gallen’s negotiating skills"

It certainly question's Roddy's role in the club...
  • Options

No, can’t add anything more to that.

What I’d take from it is with the setup more established we’ll be looking across a wider pool of players. Hopefully we’ll benefit from that but if we put too much focus on stats or use them badly it could go horribly wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Let’s hope your right
    you’re 🫠
    Sorry Mac…..don’t take offence, it’s just me being a bit anal rather than trying to be cocky….your and you’re, there, they’re and their being my particular problems.
    Of course, I make mistakes myself quite often (as many of us do) and would genuinely welcome them being pointed out to me so that I can improve my own spelling and grammar.
    It’s something which has improved immeasurably since I started posting on Charlton forums……though I’m still not up in the Grapevine league by a long shot.
    As someone who suffers badly with dyslexia, this is something I have had to contend with my whole life and as soundas£ quite rightly says most people actually think they are being helpful and not as it actually comes across anal. It doesn’t offended me particularly but I do feel sometimes this kind of behaviour is a lot more common online than in face to face situations, as I often make verbal mistakes getting words mixed up or pronouncing them wrong but people seem a lot more forgiving and less judgemental face to face. I had honestly hoped that the age of the grammar police was slowly fading away but sadly not.
  • Options
    The initial part of getting supporters behind the pre season strategy is being unemotive and making some tough calls based on footballing ability rather than friendships or connections to the club.

Pearce not being offered a new deal is a good start. I agree with all that has been said about his effort and commitment but he is not the player to have in a promotion chasing squad. 

I think Purrington will stay, potentially  as a back up left sided centre back. 
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Let’s hope your right
    you’re 🫠
    As someone who suffers badly with dyslexia, this is something I have had to contend with my whole life and as soundas£ quite rightly says most people actually think they are being helpful and not as it actually comes across anal. It doesn’t offended me particularly but I do feel sometimes this kind of behaviour is a lot more common online than in face to face situations, as I often make verbal mistakes getting words mixed up or pronouncing them wrong but people seem a lot more forgiving and less judgemental face to face. I had honestly hoped that the age of the grammar police was slowly fading away but sadly not.
    It’s strange, because I am genuinely trying to be helpful in some curious way, whilst at the same time wanting to see things put right so it squares away, far more my problem than the person actually making the mistake.
    Nothing whatever to do with me trying to be a smart arse.
    Anyway…..back to transfer rumours. 😇
  • Options
    Would Ben Thompson be a good, cheap, local back up for Dobson?

Gills fans reckon they will get £350K or so for Tucker from a tribunal which is the amount we have spent a number of times since TS joined.  Would he be the perfect Pearce replacement?
  • Options

Gills fans reckon they will get £350K or so for Tucker from a tribunal which is the amount we have spent a number of times since TS joined.  Would he be the perfect Pearce replacement?
    As I have mentioned before Tucker is on our radar…..however, I would imagine we’ll have competition.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

What I’d take from it is with the setup more established we’ll be looking across a wider pool of players. Hopefully we’ll benefit from that but if we put too much focus on stats or use them badly it could go horribly wrong.
    I just wonder if we are a bit late to the party here and it's all a bit unnecessary.

Because of reasons that don't need going over here the pool of possible players we can sign is really small.

If we say want a left back there aren't 100s of possible options are there?   You don't need an algorithm to get it down to half dozen do you.  Seems there is a bit too much faith put in it.  The world has changed since Brentford did it.

• Options

As I have mentioned before Tucker is on our radar…..however, I would imagine we’ll have competition.
    Should offer something to Gillingham quickly, avoid the tribunal, means they won't be worried about him going to Scotland for sod all like Aribo, and if we're the early obvious choice having agreed it, we might steal a march on others, as I agree I think he'll have a lot of interest.
  • Options

I like him as a player, but wasn't he negative about us when he played for Millwall.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I just wonder if we are a bit late to the party here and it's all a bit unnecessary.

Because of reasons that don't need going over here the pool of possible players we can sign is really small.

If we say want a left back there aren't 100s of possible options are there?   You don't need an algorithm to get it down to half dozen do you.  Seems there is a bit too much faith put in it.  The world has changed since Brentford did it.

We’re just catching up with other clubs aren’t we? So we need something in place, though as you say things have changed - using data isn’t as big of an advantage, it’s now more about how you use it.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Maccn05 said:

Let’s hope your right
    you’re 🫠
    It’s strange, because I am genuinely trying to be helpful in some curious way, whilst at the same time wanting to see things put right so it squares away, far more my problem than the person actually making the mistake.
    Nothing whatever to do with me trying to be a smart arse.
    Anyway…..back to transfer rumours. 😇
    Whilst totally dismissing the fact there are millions of people in the U.K with dyslexia who no matter how much you point out their mistakes will not be able to learn from them.