Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• ButtleJR said:
    Vfrf said:
    @ButtleJR
    You'd have to imagine Tucker was a target of ours as a ball playing CB. You have to ask why he would choose a team such as MK Dons over a team such as Charlton. It could be recent form but losing Twine will hurt them replicating that, they have less atmosphere and less history to their club. Would have to move farther away so you'd think wages have to play a part. If (as has been reported previous years) we're still haggling over 5/10% and thereby losing out to rivals its concerning. 
    MK market theirselves as a stepping stone for players. Would maybe be assurances over game time that worked in their favour. They got Twine over championship clubs because of their playing style, which is more established than ours at this point. He was one I thought we'd announce prior to Spain. At this point, on paper, they are more likely to get promoted than us also. Lastly, with the money they're being offered for twine being likely reinvested. This will inflate their budget drastically. 
    If he was one of those pencilled in for next week, it's very disappointing whatever the reason. Ipswich, Sheff Wed & MK Dons all 2 in already, the later now 3 if true, although Tucker might be the first one we've lost out on. 

We're not alone in having not signed anyone yet, Portsmouth and Oxford of the possible promotion contenders also drawing a blank so far, but we desperately need to see Scarfy return from his hols.
  • Personally not over fussed by Tucker, I don't think he is that great, and he certainly isn't a ball playing defender! 
  • One thing about Gillingham's defense, they may have got relegated but conceded less goals than other teams around them. Tucker was a big part of that. 
  • Meltdowns incoming:

Interesting! 
  • Not convinced Barry is good enough for us anyway 
  • Scoham said:
    Obviously we will sign players. I think the concern is that they will be dogshit and/or injury prone dossers signed in the last 2 weeks of the window.
    This season will be different. Because....it just will be.

• Lot's of concern about Tucker and MK..this is Nixon saying this don't forget...are we now believing everything he says..WIOTMKDOS... B)
  • Sponsored links:

• We’re not short of right sided centre backs so not too fussed about Tucker.
    Think our priorities lie elsewhere.
  • 'We’ve seen some of the bigger clubs, talking loans, specifically contacting us now, because of the hiring of Ben Garner, so it has had a positive impact on that front too'
    I wonder if we would be having that if Jacko was still the manager. Can't have been anyone too happy observing the Castillo and John situations, and even the many Matts Smith over previous seasons.
  • Vfrf said:
    mendonca said:
    Don't fall of your chair with this dose of reality, but MK Dons are actually better than us.
    Firmly still on my chair, and yes clearly they are a better football side than us currently but they are a smaller club - it shouldn't be a given that we can't tempt players with a club and fanbase of our size. Dons have zero atmosphere but there's no guarantee they'll replicate their form once Twine and Parrott leave. They've been successful because they're not afraid to spend and ultimately money talks, to me they're clearly offering more than us. 
    Historically we are bigger than Brentford, Bournemouth, Rotherham etc but who would you rather play for, the bigger team or the better team
  • edited June 2022
    Bournesnr said:
    We’re not short of right sided centre backs so not too fussed about Tucker.
    Think our priorities lie elsewhere.
    Except we are and why do we keep going on about right sided centre backs regardless? You can have two right footers at centre back as most clubs in the world have proven.. 

Deji isn’t ready, Innis isn’t reliable, Lavelle is coming back from an injury and wasn’t exactly showing too much quality regardless. 

Tucker is a fantastic signing at this level with real sell on potential, potential to play at a higher level than this, over one hundred games in this league, great injury record. 

I am sorry but if we are genuinely interested and lose out to MK Dons then that is piss poor.
  • supaclive said:
    Tucker is exactly the type of player we need
    In League one a right footed centre half can play left side
    He's comfortable on the ball
    And cheap with a good upside if he progresses
    If we lose him to MK Dons, be concerned for our season's prospects 
    One player wont make or break the season. If we dont get Tucker then we best make sure the 2nd option is still decent with good potential. 

We wont get ALL out first targets and that is a fact. The worry will be when it looks like we are hitting our 4th and 5th targets. 
  • edited June 2022
  • Not convinced Barry is good enough for us anyway 

Good enough to be one of the very few English lads(can't think of any ?) to Join the Barcelona Youth academy and then Premier side Villa but not good enough for Charlton when we are desperate for a striker/ winger/ forward to probably play in a 3 as two wingers and a number 9 just won't work or didn't at the beginning of last season.  
    Chuks and Benik Ofobe were invited to.....

Marcus McGuane did as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• supaclive said:
    One player wont make or break the season. If we dont get Tucker then we best make sure the 2nd option is still decent with good potential. 

We wont get ALL out first targets and that is a fact. The worry will be when it looks like we are hitting our 4th and 5th targets. 
    You say that but one player can actually be the difference between autos and play offs, play offs and mid table and mid table to relegation. 

I’m not usually one to throw my toys out of the pram over a signing but Tucker is one of the most logical signings we can make, if our recruitment team can’t see that and we lose out to MK Dons it’s genuinely embarrassing. Recent history has shown if we just copied what they do in the transfer windows we would be more successful anyway so why on earth would we let it happen again
  • supaclive said:
    Why? Tucker is a sought-after player and MK Dons are miles ahead of us. Finished 1 point off the autos and 9 clear of 7th. They had a great season under a very good manager. The fact is if you're competing with other teams for players sometimes you will get them and sometimes you'll lose out. In this case MK Dons are a more attractive prospect at the moment and have got a lot of money coming when Twine inevitably leaves so can likely offer him more. If anything, us identifying the right kind of player is a good sign; the time to be concerned is if we miss out on 5 consecutive CBs because we're just not offering enough, or if we'd offered Jason Pearce a new 3 year deal instead of identifying ball-playing centre halves. Last season we bought the wrong players for the manager we had and then brought in another manager who didn't use what we had in a way that suited them. Targeting players in line with the manager's way of playing is a positive thing
  • edited June 2022
    supaclive said:

You say that but one player can actually be the difference between autos and play offs, play offs and mid table and mid table to relegation. 

I’m not usually one to throw my toys out of the pram over a signing but Tucker is one of the most logical signings we can make, if our recruitment team can’t see that and we lose out to MK Dons it’s genuinely embarrassing. Recent history has shown if we just copied what they do in the transfer windows we would be more successful anyway so why on earth would we let it happen again
    He's right footed and we need a leftie, so it's not that logical. Perhaps that's why Cawley is reporting that we've never really pursued him. 

I do need to point out that you are "throwing your toys out the pram" at something Nixon has said. Nixon!
  • supaclive said:

Yeah I would like to sign Tucker but it wont happen based on the fact that we're Charlton and there MK Dons. Charlton are very much in the re-build phase with foundations etc being laid whilst MK dons have a formula that suits them and as it stands, look much more attractive for a possible promotion etc. 

It f**king sucks thats the case BUT that is the case and we have to get back to that level ASAP.
  • edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

He's right footed and we need a leftie, so it's not that logical. Perhaps that's why Cawley is reporting that we've never really pursued him. 

I do need to point out that you are "throwing your toys out the pram" at something Nixon has said. Nixon!
    I actually don’t get all this right foot business now. We aren’t Man City, we don’t have the luxury to cherry pick the best left footer and right footer in the world and pair them up. 

There’s a lad here down the road from us, from what our owner is telling us, would be in our price range, he would immediately be our best defender. It ain’t rocket science you go and sign him unless it’s not feasible. 

Couldn’t care less where MK Dons finished, that was last season where they had Scott Twine, it’s a new season for them like us, albeit they have a few more things in place. We are bigger than them and have an owner telling us we have a top budget. If we are genuinely interested in him and lose out to them, it’s shocking. Even more worrying if he’s not on our radar 

I am saying if he goes to MK Dons, it’s Cawleys tweet that had concerned me, not his 
  • edited June 2022
    We are working on a deal for Louis Reed from Swindon. I don't know a huge amount about him but seems to be highly rated.
    Swindon fans will be gutted.
  • edited June 2022
    Chunes said:
    supaclive said:

I actually don’t get all this right foot business now. We aren’t Man City, we don’t have the luxury to cherry pick the best left footer and right footer in the world and pair them up. 

There’s a lad here down the road from us, from what our owner is telling us, would be in our price range, he would immediately be our best defender. It ain’t rocket science you go and sign him unless it’s not feasible. 

Couldn’t care less where MK Dons finished, that was last season where they had Scott Twine, it’s a new season for them like us, albeit they have a few more things in place. We are bigger than them and have an owner telling us we have a top budget. If we are genuinely interested in him and lose out to them, it’s shocking. Even more worrying if he’s not on our radar 
    You may not get it, but it seems that more than a few managers want their CBs to play on their proper sides. 

You seem to be ignoring the fact that Cawley has said we weren't ever really pursuing this bloke, but you're going nuts over the idea that we've lost out on him to MK. Is this just about having a pop at TS?
  • We are working on a deal for Louis Reed from Swindon. I don't know a huge amount about him but seems to be highly rated.
    Played under Garner last season as the DM in a 4-3-3. 

Competition for Dobson or maybe pushes Dobson forward to a more central midfielder role.