Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• swordfish said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If we only sign 7 players (including loanees) then I'll be throwing in the towel.
    How many players do you think a L1 club should have??
    If my maths are right I think 14 players have departed since last season finished. 

Henderson will be replaced by Maynard Brewer returning. 

Watson will be replaced with a fully fit Foster Caskey. 

Castillo and John don't need replacing as they were hardly ever used.

So I reckon we need the following. 

2 left backs 
    2 right backs 
    2 centre halfs 
    2 attacking midfielders 
    2 strikers. 

So ideally ten to come in.
    We have only got 5 places left in the squad.  
    Don't be silly 
    We have.  

The cap was decreased by 1.

Burstow, John and Castillo didn't count.

Famewo, Lee and Leko are replaced by Davison, Kirk and Morgan (who is now over age).

We released 6.  Which means 5 takes us back to the cap.

Of course you can have unlimited u21s.
    Are you absolutely sure you put the cat out with the 6 released? Mr Purrington 😺 has also left the building.
    Its Matthews I missed, full expect him to resign mid September 🤣🤣

So it's actually 6 not 5, I do feel a bit silly now 😜 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    My 7 is assuming others go from what we have left. Personally think we need 10. 
    TS said 8/9 with 5 perms 
    He didn't, he actually said

"I would expect somewhere between two to four, maybe five, major signings"

But understanding words like expect and maybe isn't your strength is it.

“I would expect somewhere between two to four, maybe five, major signings. Then on the loan side, still be in the situation where we’ll probably be trying to fill it up with fairly inexpensive but high-quality loan players.

“Maybe six [loans]. That’s one too many, but it gives us a chance to reshuffle a bit.

So 4 maybe 5 ( even 3 ) plus 6 loans = 

You said 

"TS said 8/9 with 5 perms"

So 4 maybe 5 ( even 3 ) plus 6 loans does not equal 8/9 does it?  

You really need to try harder.  It's like arguing with pigeon.

That's harsh on pigeons mate.
  • There will be a big party if we sign Johnson
    What’s the use of having someone who doesn’t turn up, or denies he has even if he does?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    If we only sign 7 players (including loanees) then I'll be throwing in the towel.
    If my maths are right I think 14 players have departed since last season finished. 

2 left backs 
    2 right backs 
    2 centre halfs 
    2 attacking midfielders 
    2 strikers. 

And on this blessed day a bloody big Ark shall float down the Thames to the Promised land of the Valley where they will be welcomed as kings until they under perform and the masses shall rise up and proclaim "your not fit to wear the robes"
    I think you missed a “verily” and a couple of “yea”s. 
  • I would expect at least 2 of the loan signings to be U21 players, and ones we intend to use as opposed to the January fill the numbers type loan signings. Akin to the likes of Dasilva, Bielik, Gallagher and Maatsen etc
  • edited June 2022
    I know nothing about either Johnson or Reed save for what little I have read.  However Reed was described as the player most Swindon fans would be upset to see leave and knowing Garner already that seems exciting to me.  Johnson seems a steady Eddie and plays whole seasons so seems promising.  Would be happy with both.
  • I’d be surprised if it’s Reed, seeing how much they leaked at their end when we were talking to Garner. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I would expect at least 2 of the loan signings to be U21 players, and ones we intend to use as opposed to the January fill the numbers type loan signings. Akin to the likes of Dasilva, Bielik, Gallagher and Maatsen etc
    Hope you are right, but fear you are wrong. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:

2 left backs 
    2 right backs 
    2 centre halfs 
    2 attacking midfielders 
    2 strikers. 

We have only got 5 places left in the squad.  
    Don't be silly 
    We have.  

The cap was decreased by 1.

Burstow, John and Castillo didn't count.

Famewo, Lee and Leko are replaced by Davison, Kirk and Morgan (who is now over age).

We released 6.  Which means 5 takes us back to the cap.

Of course you can have unlimited u21s.
    Thought we released 7? Gunter, Matthews, Purrington, Souare, Pearce, Watson and Washington. If right 6 takes us back to the cap.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    We need about 10 new players but only need a net increase of 6 or 7.

As an example we have three wide forwards so only really have room for one more but one plus Kirk, DJ and CBT might not be enough, or the right balance. So one or two might have to be moved on.

We can't bring in another striker unless we move one on.  We might have to give up a midfielder to sign another defender.

This squad was put together under different managers playing different systems and now we have another manager playing another one.  It shows.  It needs but an upgrade in quality and rebalanced else we will end up with square pegs in round holes, again.
    Why not? We let Washington go and also sold Burstow.
  • Davo55 said:
    Does Reed play in the same position as Dobson? If so, although I wouldn't argue about needing more depth in that position equally I wouldn't have seen it as a priority given the gaping holes elsewhere in the squad. Hopefully, we'l bring in enough quality elsewhere for that not to matter.
    Even if he does, If you’re playing 4-3-3, you’d want two sitting midfielders.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

If we sign him knowing our luck, he'll be Charltonized and those 25 yard screamers will be knocked out of him. Probably get injured in August too.
  • swordfish said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I would be shocked if we bought in more than 7 players in the window,
    And we still haven't signed Jack Shit yet!
    Why, was he on the list..?
  • swordfish said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I would be shocked if we bought in more than 7 players in the window,
    And we still haven't signed Jack Shit yet!
    Why, was he on the list..?
    Never even close according to Cawley. Not a sniff 💩 Lost out to Millwall apparently,  so says @Johnnysummers5.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
     When you've got players like Innis and Anneke in the ranks, more than most I would say.
  • Dazzler21 said:
     When you've got players like Innis and Anneke in the ranks, more than most I would say.
    Not to mention JFC
  • Id be happy with Reed and Johnson ifs them 2 today
  • Trying to remember what was on the Charlton transfer bingo card, anyone got a copy?
  • Davo55 said:
    Does Reed play in the same position as Dobson? If so, although I wouldn't argue about needing more depth in that position equally I wouldn't have seen it as a priority given the gaping holes elsewhere in the squad. Hopefully, we'l bring in enough quality elsewhere for that not to matter.
    Even if he does, If you’re playing 4-3-3, you’d want two sitting midfielders.
    That’s more of a 4-2-3-1 which we could go with Reed/JFC and Dobson as the 2. I think we will be more like Garners Swindon 4-3-3 which had Reed sitting and then Williams and Payne either side that were more attacking. At the moment this would be Dobson holding with JFC and Fraser either side. I think Reed is similar to JFC in that he is probably capable of playing as a holding midfielder and also as one of the midfielders either side 
  • I notice no one has suggested Reed could be a replacement for Dobson?
  • So we are getting two former players back,  Roger Johnson from Bromley and Kyle Reed from Colchester?  What's not to like?

Glad I'm keep with things. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    That would be deeply troubling given that in an ideal world we'd sign 6 defenders without even looking further up the pitch. I don't think we're likely to end up with 2 quality players in every position though. In the 2011/12 season we signed loads of players in a time when it was easier to do that on a smaller budget and we still didn't really cover ourselves that well. Hughes was signed as a backup RB but never played there and ended up being the cover for Stephens at CM because Pritchard was signed as a punt, Alonso was a practical joke and there wasn't any depth there. Francis was technically there as backup but he played 2 league cup games, was terrible in both and I reckon Powell would have put Keith Peacock in there before he played Francis in a league game. Solly played 44 league games that season and the only games he didn't play we used Morrison and Wiggins at RB where they were both very bad. We only had one proper left-sided midfielder in Jackson, who had just recovered from an achilles injury recently. We started the season with two first choice strikers and Paul Benson who Powell clearly didn't fancy. We added Yann at the end of September and then Haynes and Clarke in January but we spent the first half of the season short up front in terms of depth. Part of the situation was that the loan market was different then; when Jackson got injured we brought in Ephraim and then Lee Cook, Darel Russell came in to cover Stephens and N'Guessan was brought in to add a bit of life to the attack. The ability to make those signings in November and March meant you didn't have to worry so much about building the squad out fully but we were so lucky with injuries that season. 44 league games out of Solly! 45 out of Morrison and Wiggins with them only missing a dead rubber where we rotated the full 11 at the end of the season, no injuries to Taylor or Cort. Hamer, Hollands and BWP all playing over 40 league games, with Jackson only missing 9 games across the whole season despite some knocks and only missing games in small groups instead of large chunks. I think Yann missed one game through being unavailable.
    That's the key for us this season to be honest, stop having these ridiculous injury lay-offs for our players. We had a fantastic back four in 11/12 and there was honestly one game where we were unable to field it by choice (we drew, it was awful. Green on the left, Pritch on the right, Wiggins at right back. Horrible use of my Tuesday). That was the basis of our success. In front of that we had one long-ish injury absence and nothing else. We were really lucky that season but it does go to show that you can get away with a lot in terms of squad building if you can keep your players fit.
    Francis went on to play in the Championship and the Premiership while we wallowed in L1. On that basis Powell isnt the judge you think he is and neither are you.
    I normally don't respond to your trollery but Francis was very bad for Charlton. He was then very good for Bournemouth. Some players just don't work out at certain clubs, Powell set a L1 points record that season (which resulted in promotion to the Championship one year ahead of Bournemouth and Francis) and then finished 3 points outside the Play-Offs the next season despite there being no further investment. I think he might have been alright at judging what that team did and didn't need. My judgment is entirely open for questioning though, crack on.