Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Hearts being linked with Jorge Grant, must be available on the cheap, surely one we’d look at, would be a better option than Gilbey in CM. 
  • As soon as I heard the Reed link I assumed it meant that Garner could possibly go with a 4-2-3-1 system. We haven't got the players for a 4-3-3 and would need to bring in 2 or 3 attackers to make it work. It's a hard (and expensive) position to fill.

However we already have at least 2 players who could fulfil the 1 in that system, plus players like DJ and CBT would could fit into the wide positions of the 3. You then have Dobson/Reed/JFC filling your 2, you already need new fullbacks, so you bring in attacking ones, and you can player Frasier as the middle of the 3, so you just need to bring in competition.

So with a 4-3-3 you need to bring in 2-3 attackers, whilst with 4-2-3-1 you need to bring in midfield cover/competition, a far easier position to fill. It's the same number of players, but a bigger pool to choose from.

We know that Garner wants to play possession football, there's definitely an argument that can be better achieved with the 4-2-3-1.

Plus you have to consider who can step up from the U23s and who is coming through behind them. Is it easier to build a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 over the coming years, and which gets the best out of the talent that is coming through.
    Is there much difference between a 433 and 4231? Personally I think the only difference is the 3 CM's, with a 4231 having two holding and then relying on one being a lot more attacking. If we sign Reed, I think we just need one more CM, who has to be capable of chipping in. But we'd have 7 players who see themselves as midfielders so will have to offload one.  
    Agree if we get Reed we would need 1 more that will chip in with goals. Then would like to move Gilbey and Morgan on and then just use Henry as the 6th midfield option as he’s young so doesn’t count to squad list. No point using up a squad spot on a 6th choice when we probably need it elsewhere 
  • NabySarr said:
    As soon as I heard the Reed link I assumed it meant that Garner could possibly go with a 4-2-3-1 system. We haven't got the players for a 4-3-3 and would need to bring in 2 or 3 attackers to make it work. It's a hard (and expensive) position to fill.

However we already have at least 2 players who could fulfil the 1 in that system, plus players like DJ and CBT would could fit into the wide positions of the 3. You then have Dobson/Reed/JFC filling your 2, you already need new fullbacks, so you bring in attacking ones, and you can player Frasier as the middle of the 3, so you just need to bring in competition.

So with a 4-3-3 you need to bring in 2-3 attackers, whilst with 4-2-3-1 you need to bring in midfield cover/competition, a far easier position to fill. It's the same number of players, but a bigger pool to choose from.

We know that Garner wants to play possession football, there's definitely an argument that can be better achieved with the 4-2-3-1.

Plus you have to consider who can step up from the U23s and who is coming through behind them. Is it easier to build a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 over the coming years, and which gets the best out of the talent that is coming through.
    Is there much difference between a 433 and 4231? Personally I think the only difference is the 3 CM's, with a 4231 having two holding and then relying on one being a lot more attacking. If we sign Reed, I think we just need one more CM, who has to be capable of chipping in. But we'd have 7 players who see themselves as midfielders so will have to offload one.  
    Agree if we get Reed we would need 1 more that will chip in with goals. Then would like to move Gilbey and Morgan on and then just use Henry as the 6th midfield option as he’s young so doesn’t count to squad list. No point using up a squad spot on a 6th choice when we probably need it elsewhere 
    Do we know if the squad cap is 20 or 21 players? If we go for 2 players in each position plus Clare and Aneke then we’d only 1 or 2 of those to be U21. I’d be content with using Henry as 6th, especially as we’ve got Clare too. Although it’s a long old season and I don’t think having one of Morgan or Gilbey as 6th choice would be a bad idea. I’d probably go for the U21 at full back. 
  • NabySarr said:
    As soon as I heard the Reed link I assumed it meant that Garner could possibly go with a 4-2-3-1 system. We haven't got the players for a 4-3-3 and would need to bring in 2 or 3 attackers to make it work. It's a hard (and expensive) position to fill.

Do we know if the squad cap is 20 or 21 players? If we go for 2 players in each position plus Clare and Aneke then we’d only 1 or 2 of those to be U21. I’d be content with using Henry as 6th, especially as we’ve got Clare too. Although it’s a long old season and I don’t think having one of Morgan or Gilbey as 6th choice would be a bad idea. I’d probably go for the U21 at full back. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I notice no one has suggested Reed could be a replacement for Dobson?

Only you !
    And the poster immediately above your post........

Bizarrely that appeared two seconds before my post. Strange but true.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    If we only sign 7 players (including loanees) then I'll be throwing in the towel.
    That would be deeply troubling given that in an ideal world we'd sign 6 defenders without even looking further up the pitch. I don't think we're likely to end up with 2 quality players in every position though. In the 2011/12 season we signed loads of players in a time when it was easier to do that on a smaller budget and we still didn't really cover ourselves that well. Hughes was signed as a backup RB but never played there and ended up being the cover for Stephens at CM because Pritchard was signed as a punt, Alonso was a practical joke and there wasn't any depth there. Francis was technically there as backup but he played 2 league cup games, was terrible in both and I reckon Powell would have put Keith Peacock in there before he played Francis in a league game. Solly played 44 league games that season and the only games he didn't play we used Morrison and Wiggins at RB where they were both very bad. We only had one proper left-sided midfielder in Jackson, who had just recovered from an achilles injury recently. We started the season with two first choice strikers and Paul Benson who Powell clearly didn't fancy. We added Yann at the end of September and then Haynes and Clarke in January but we spent the first half of the season short up front in terms of depth. Part of the situation was that the loan market was different then; when Jackson got injured we brought in Ephraim and then Lee Cook, Darel Russell came in to cover Stephens and N'Guessan was brought in to add a bit of life to the attack. The ability to make those signings in November and March meant you didn't have to worry so much about building the squad out fully but we were so lucky with injuries that season. 44 league games out of Solly! 45 out of Morrison and Wiggins with them only missing a dead rubber where we rotated the full 11 at the end of the season, no injuries to Taylor or Cort. Hamer, Hollands and BWP all playing over 40 league games, with Jackson only missing 9 games across the whole season despite some knocks and only missing games in small groups instead of large chunks. I think Yann missed one game through being unavailable.
    That's the key for us this season to be honest, stop having these ridiculous injury lay-offs for our players. We had a fantastic back four in 11/12 and there was honestly one game where we were unable to field it by choice (we drew, it was awful. Green on the left, Pritch on the right, Wiggins at right back. Horrible use of my Tuesday). That was the basis of our success. In front of that we had one long-ish injury absence and nothing else. We were really lucky that season but it does go to show that you can get away with a lot in terms of squad building if you can keep your players fit.
    Francis went on to play in the Championship and the Premiership while we wallowed in L1. On that basis Powell isnt the judge you think he is and neither are you.
    I normally don't respond to your trollery but Francis was very bad for Charlton. He was then very good for Bournemouth. Some players just don't work out at certain clubs, Powell set a L1 points record that season (which resulted in promotion to the Championship one year ahead of Bournemouth and Francis) and then finished 3 points outside the Play-Offs the next season despite there being no further investment. I think he might have been alright at judging what that team did and didn't need. My judgment is entirely open for questioning though, crack on.
    Vases on 2 league Cup performances with the crowd on his back yes but nobody judges a player like that. 
    Francis ended up a consistent Premier perfomer. 
    Your judgement is indeed inaccurate and flaky.
    Your vases aside, Francis was done as a Charlton player at that point. He'd had a horrible time before and as you've pointed out had the crowd on his back. He just needed a change, the move was best for both parties and I'm genuinely happy he did well at Bournemouth. You'll notice (or not, apparently) I haven't really made any judgment on him as a player except for on his two performances in those matches, which were poor. I just pointed out that Powell didn't want to use him, which was true. We seemed to do alright without Simon Francis in that side though so I think I'll continue to view Powell as a decent judge of player.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Hmmm the fact that Buttle JR has liked this is concerning. 
    Haven't really heard anything, just can't see how, if reed comes in, we could get them in the same team. Reed won't be joining to be back up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Hmmm the fact that Buttle JR has liked this is concerning. 
    Haven't really heard anything, just can't see how, if reed comes in, we could get them in the same team. Reed won't be joining to be back up. 
    Guess you can have two of them in a 4231, plus it's a squad game anyway with 50+ games next season.
  • edited June 2022
    Louis Reed is such an excellent signing and the best we could have grabbed from Swindon imo. 

He scores a screamer every season, can’t wait for that trait to disappear once he joins us 

https://twitter.com/tomc_22/status/1183326503741906944?s=21&t=-cL8LLG65Mrb0PKqgmd3pQ

its also well worth having a look at him compared to Dobbo on who scored, gives you a decent idea of what to expect. He is far more comfortable on the ball and creative than Dobson. I imagine they will both start but George will take up the anchor role, similar to Buyens 

https://www.whoscored.com/PlayerComparison
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:

Cheers. I thought the initial plan was to reduce it to 21 this season and then 20 from next season. Wasn't sure if that had been scrapped. I think full-backs is the way to go for the U21's. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    NabySarr said:

Cheers. I thought the initial plan was to reduce it to 21 this season and then 20 from next season. Wasn't sure if that had been scrapped. I think full-backs is the way to go for the U21's. 
    The article said reduced to 20 next season and was a year old.  What ever it is, assuming it's 1 less than last year, we have six spaces left as of today.
  • edited June 2022
    Remember the famous discussion in every pub from lands end to Carlisle ?

Green or Wagstaff and the concensus was ?

Apologies, I meant Lampard or Gerrard which considering they were both great players it's hard to think when you have 10 outfield players a great coach can't find a solution and still get the best out of the pair of them. They both had excellent careers so not really a major issue because in every side someone normally plays a tad out of their favourite position. I don't mean RB playing at LB as that never works unless two footed. 

Dobson and Reed could play in the same team and be used in various ways and different formations. We are all about playing angles and link up play now plus the occasional 40 yard diagonal ball to Corey Blackett-Taylor so he only has one player to beat not 2 players after running 50 yards from the edge of his own box.

Because of injuries and knocks, at the start of every season a poster suggests we will end up with too many midfielders once they come into the club; Rarely happens at Cafc. 7 can become 3 in a couple of matches.

• DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    They're taking their time announcing these two new signings if they've been training with the squad today.....
    They been training and testing this morning, photos and press stuff in the afternoon, announced this evening or AM tomorrow 
    Quite often the case with our signings. Only thing missing is Cawley normally puts something out prior. 
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    They're taking their time announcing these two new signings if they've been training with the squad today.....
    They been training and testing this morning, photos and press stuff in the afternoon, announced this evening or AM tomorrow 
    Quite often the case with our signings. Only thing missing is Cawley normally puts something out prior. 
    I think its been spoken about before mate but hes getting fed alot less info than he used to so can still be in the dark till very late on like most of us 
  • edited June 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:

Ok @DubaiCAFC I'm going to copy and Paste in case you try to get rid of the evidence !
    You are a respectful poster and this makes sense with the Spanish trip at the weekend. 

Do you know who these players are ?
    I don't expect you to tell but if you could leave a clue like initials or whether whelmed or under would get the most votes, even if they are from North, south, East or West; the CL family would be appreciative.  If one of the players haven't played for 18 months because of an injury please keep to yourself as I'm in a happy mood.

Cheers in anticipation. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    After the way TS reacted to his Ben Garner tweet, I wouldn't be surprised if Cawley doesn't bother tweeting about any of our signings in advance
  • Macronate said:
    If we sign Lou Reed, whilst the Day will be far from Perfect, it will improve my mood a little.
    🤯🤯🤯
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:

Ok @DubaiCAFC I'm going to copy and Paste in case you try to get rid of the evidence !
    You are a respectful poster and this makes sense with the Spanish trip at the weekend. 

Do you know who these players are ?
    I don't expect you to tell but if you could leave a clue like initials or whether whelmed or under would get the most votes, even if they are from North, south, East or West; the CL family would be appreciative.  

Cheers in anticipation. 
    2 new fullbacks ive heard. Not going to give names away but initials are PS and AM.

Make of that what you will.
  • I’m hearing….

… a buzzing noise in my right ear. 
  • swordfish said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    If we only sign 7 players (including loanees) then I'll be throwing in the towel.
    How many players do you think a L1 club should have??
    I would be shocked if we bought in more than 7 players in the window,
    And we still haven't signed Jack Shit yet!
    Who does he play for?
  • JamesSeed said:
    I’m hearing….

… a buzzing noise in my right ear. 
    Forgot to turn your hearing aide up again ?
  • ButtleJR said:
    Still on track to have a few today apparently...
    I know you probably can't answer this but, who's your source?