Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited June 2022
    Only thing I dont like about Moses is he's injury prone... Hasnt played that many games the last few years.

I'd sign him though... IF... we had a situation like what we should have had with Lewis Page at the start of 2018/19, where we'd be comfortable resting him on a regular basis, because we know we've someone else who can slot easily into his place.

And dont have to worry about Moses breaking after a run of 10-games say.

Maybe thats where Sean Clare comes into the team, as feels like we're sticking to 3-5-2 at the moment.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    Any Irish speaking people on here know if it’s pronounced Ewan or Owen  
    It’s Owen.
  • Rochdale gutted to lose him but looks like the main teams linked with him till now were Forest Green and Stockport. Another bargain bin signing. Anyone else noticing a theme with Roland 2.0? 
    So another League One team, and a League Two team that are throwing money around like a League One team

And yet he's a bargain bin signing :D
    When we’re supposed to be aiming for automatics, playoffs at the least and our competition for signings are, at best, lower league 1 teams, yes I would call that bargain bin. 

I truly hope to be proven wrong and I’ve bought my season ticket so I’ll be there to see it either way but I can see another poor season ahead. 
    I know what you mean. I remember when we signed a Reading cast off, a Sheffield Wednesday cast off, a free transfer from a League One team, a bloke who got relegated with Dagenham, a midfielder from Oldham and some work experience kid they brought in to help test the players' fitness. We had competition for about two of those players. Then when we signed some unwanted laughing stock released by Leicester I was about ready to pack it in. It was a joke, and then we...oh we won the league with a record points total. Never mind.
    To be fair in the previous season those players had been playing
    Reading - Championship
    Wednesday - L1
    Bournemouth - L1 playoffs
    Dagenham - star player in a relegated L1 team
    Oldham - L1

I'm not knocking O'Connell or any Swindon players we might sign, but there's a difference between the Powell signings and the L2 players that we seem to be linked with at the moment.
    Well not quite, Hamer had played for two different clubs at L1 level the previous season and played exactly 0 Championship games. Michael Morrison played just 12 games for Wednesday in L1 the season before and by all accounts stunk the place out, and Dale Stephens had been loaned to Southampton in L1 where he played 6 times. Danny Green did do well for Dagenham but they still finished 21st. We had some competition for him and the Bournemouth lads were a good get, but we picked up a lot of players who had had bad seasons previously and were cheap because they looked like damaged goods. O'Connell has played 101 League One games so let's not make him out to be some L2 nobody, he seems like he fits the way he want to play and has a lot of experience in our league
    Sorry, but no way was that Powell squad full of damaged goods. The only signings who we got "under the radar" due to their struggles were Morrison and Yann.

Hamer was a young keeper at Reading, who like most young keepers go out on loan to get experience. He had 2 L1 loan spells at clubs which finished higher than ourselves
    Stephens got injured at Soton which probably scuppered his chances of a move. We paid £375k for him
    Hayes - Championship Preston
    Taylor - Exeter finished 8th. Was he their captain?
    Hollands and Wiggins - top players for Bournemouth
    Hughes - had been at Scunthorpe, relegated from the Championship
    Green - we paid £350k for him and had competition

• Rochdale gutted to lose him but looks like the main teams linked with him till now were Forest Green and Stockport. Another bargain bin signing. Anyone else noticing a theme with Roland 2.0? 
    So another League One team, and a League Two team that are throwing money around like a League One team

When we’re supposed to be aiming for automatics, playoffs at the least and our competition for signings are, at best, lower league 1 teams, yes I would call that bargain bin. 

I truly hope to be proven wrong and I’ve bought my season ticket so I’ll be there to see it either way but I can see another poor season ahead. 
    I know what you mean. I remember when we signed a Reading cast off, a Sheffield Wednesday cast off, a free transfer from a League One team, a bloke who got relegated with Dagenham, a midfielder from Oldham and some work experience kid they brought in to help test the players' fitness. We had competition for about two of those players. Then when we signed some unwanted laughing stock released by Leicester I was about ready to pack it in. It was a joke, and then we...oh we won the league with a record points total. Never mind.
    Reading - Championship
    Wednesday - L1
    Oldham - L1

I'm not knocking O'Connell or any Swindon players we might sign, but there's a difference between the Powell signings and the L2 players that we seem to be linked with at the moment.
    Well not quite, Hamer had played for two different clubs at L1 level the previous season and played exactly 0 Championship games. Michael Morrison played just 12 games for Wednesday in L1 the season before and by all accounts stunk the place out, and Dale Stephens had been loaned to Southampton in L1 where he played 6 times. Danny Green did do well for Dagenham but they still finished 21st. We had some competition for him and the Bournemouth lads were a good get, but we picked up a lot of players who had had bad seasons previously and were cheap because they looked like damaged goods. O'Connell has played 101 League One games so let's not make him out to be some L2 nobody, he seems like he fits the way he want to play and has a lot of experience in our league
    Sorry, but no way was that Powell squad full of damaged goods. The only signings who we got "under the radar" due to their struggles were Morrison and Yann.

Hamer was a young keeper at Reading, who like most young keepers go out on loan to get experience. He had 2 L1 loan spells at clubs which finished higher than ourselves
    Stephens got injured at Soton which probably scuppered his chances of a move. We paid £375k for him

We paid £350k for Danny Green in 2011? Blimey
  • AndyG said:
    AndyG said:
    Valley11 said:
    Garner’s assistant has been appointed head coach at Swindon.
    That’s a little bit concerning. But perhaps explains why there’s been a delay. Hopefully Garner still gets to pick the backroom staff he wants.
    Maybe the delay was caused by sandgaard not wanting to pay the compensation Swindon wanted. 
    Oh FFS when will it stop ???

Right so TS delayed things to try and not pay compensation and then Swindon said to him, tell you what as we cant agree a deal for you to go and be a coach at CAFC why dont you have a go at managing 😂😂😂
    Beyond pathetic !!
    So I suggest a valid reason why there was a delay to getting the guy to Charlton & you respond by posting some childish fiction ? You're right of course you are beyond pathetic.
    Muppet. 
    That's exactly my point though you didnt raise a valid point did you. I would naturally assume that anyone with half a brain cell would on reading that the guy has now stepped into the managers role would automatically know the reason why he didnt come here as a coach. As usual you are just throwing shit towards TS again completely without any sense of reason  and I stand by my comment that it is just pathetic
    The fact that we were negotiating with Swindon over compensation for his release tells me all I need to know. We wanted him, they were prepared to release him for the right amount of compensation. We wouldn't cough up. Swindon were turned down for their first choice of manager after Garner left so offered it to Lindsey. Keep up !
    Throwing shit at sandgaard ? Did you enjoy ripping the league up last season ?
    Ok I give up ! No reasoning with someone who takes rumours as facts when it suits their agenda
  • Moses Odubajo leaving QPR, attacking right back, would suit us, Greenwich born, 28 decent experience and CV.  Not a rumour.
    Not a rumour?

Therefore a fact??

;) 
  • Sponsored links:

Reading - Championship
    Wednesday - L1
    Oldham - L1

I never said it was full of them but there were plenty. Hayes failed at Preston and was unwanted. He scored 2 goals and then was loaned out to Barnsley where he didn't score. He signed a three year deal and had it terminated after one. Yann was a laughing stock. Cort was unwanted at Burnley and had been farmed out the previous season. Andy Hughes had been at Scunthorpe for 6 months before moving on. Wednesday practically gave us Morrison they wanted shot of him so badly. Hamer was a decent young keeper but one that Reading had decided wasn't going to make it for them and so were ready to let go permanently on the cheap. We signed some players on the up too, of course we did, but the point is that you can't judge the quality of signings by who you're competing with for them because some players will work for you and not other teams and the trick is in identifying the right ones for your team.
  • redbuttle said:
    Rylo said:
    cfgs said:
    ButtleJR said:
    No more tonight...
    Booooooo
    @ButtleJR, you are no longer my favourite poster. 
    What about Buttle snr?
    You’ve got an opportunity to turn this around. Don’t fail. 
  • I love how nobody had a clue. That’s how I want signings to be, a nice surprise.

Looks an excellent addition.
    Looks a POTENTIALLY excellent addition (because none of us really know)
    Garner will know him well so I'm happy about that

Reading - Championship
    Wednesday - L1
    Oldham - L1

I never said it was full of them but there were plenty. Hayes failed at Preston and was unwanted. He scored 2 goals and then was loaned out to Barnsley where he didn't score. He signed a three year deal and had it terminated after one. Yann was a laughing stock. Cort was unwanted at Burnley and had been farmed out the previous season. Andy Hughes had been at Scunthorpe for 6 months before moving on. Wednesday practically gave us Morrison they wanted shot of him so badly. Hamer was a decent young keeper but one that Reading had decided wasn't going to make it for them and so were ready to let go permanently on the cheap. We signed some players on the up too, of course we did, but the point is that you can't judge the quality of signings by who you're competing with for them because some players will work for you and not other teams and the trick is in identifying the right ones for your team.
    The likes of Hayes and Cort were all struggling to get game time in Championship sides, signing players not getting game time at a level above is hardly taking a punt, when those players had plenty of pedigree to show they could do a good job for an ambitious L1 side. 
  • Moses Odubajo leaving QPR, attacking right back, would suit us, Greenwich born, 28 decent experience and CV.  Not a rumour.
    Used to play football with his Mo as a kid, was outstanding and was on Millwalls books. His Brother Tom was also a very good player, was at Sutton not long ago. 

Think he’d come but will have Champ interest. 

He was close to signing a few years ago when he was at Orient, KM pulled the plug and he moved to Brentford instead, the rest is history. 
  • edited June 2022

Danny Hylton, who had been the subject of strong interest from #afcw, set to sign for Northampton Town.

— Richard Cawley (@RichCawleySLP) June 20, 2022
  • Sponsored links:

• redbuttle said:
    Rylo said:
    cfgs said:
    ButtleJR said:
    No more tonight...
    Booooooo
    @ButtleJR, you are no longer my favourite poster. 
    What about Buttle snr?
    His legs have gone
    Never had any...
  • Swindon signing a new goalkeeper on loan from Middlesbrough, their number 1 from last year Wollacott likely to move on.
    Wollacott is out of contract anyway... and was dropped at the end of the season
  • edited June 2022

In response to O'Connell's signing for Charlton tweet *grasps at straws*
  • Yes they have - Won promotion from League Two with Bury together
  • Yes they have - Won promotion from League Two with Bury together
    Ah that explains that then!  Cheers.