Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Rochdale gutted to lose him but looks like the main teams linked with him till now were Forest Green and Stockport. Another bargain bin signing. Anyone else noticing a theme with Roland 2.0? 
    So another League One team, and a League Two team that are throwing money around like a League One team

And yet he's a bargain bin signing :D
    When we’re supposed to be aiming for automatics, playoffs at the least and our competition for signings are, at best, lower league 1 teams, yes I would call that bargain bin. 

I truly hope to be proven wrong and I’ve bought my season ticket so I’ll be there to see it either way but I can see another poor season ahead. 
    I know what you mean. I remember when we signed a Reading cast off, a Sheffield Wednesday cast off, a free transfer from a League One team, a bloke who got relegated with Dagenham, a midfielder from Oldham and some work experience kid they brought in to help test the players' fitness. We had competition for about two of those players. Then when we signed some unwanted laughing stock released by Leicester I was about ready to pack it in. It was a joke, and then we...oh we won the league with a record points total. Never mind.
    To be fair in the previous season those players had been playing
    Reading - Championship
    Wednesday - L1
    Bournemouth - L1 playoffs
    Dagenham - star player in a relegated L1 team
    Oldham - L1

I'm not knocking O'Connell or any Swindon players we might sign, but there's a difference between the Powell signings and the L2 players that we seem to be linked with at the moment.
  • Get in!!! That's a very good 1st signing! 
  • ButtleJR said:
    No more tonight...
    Booooooo
  • Does this mean HMS Piss the League….never mind. 
  • Rochdale gutted to lose him but looks like the main teams linked with him till now were Forest Green and Stockport. Another bargain bin signing. Anyone else noticing a theme with Roland 2.0? 
    So another League One team, and a League Two team that are throwing money around like a League One team

When we’re supposed to be aiming for automatics, playoffs at the least and our competition for signings are, at best, lower league 1 teams, yes I would call that bargain bin. 

I truly hope to be proven wrong and I’ve bought my season ticket so I’ll be there to see it either way but I can see another poor season ahead. 
    I know what you mean. I remember when we signed a Reading cast off, a Sheffield Wednesday cast off, a free transfer from a League One team, a bloke who got relegated with Dagenham, a midfielder from Oldham and some work experience kid they brought in to help test the players' fitness. We had competition for about two of those players. Then when we signed some unwanted laughing stock released by Leicester I was about ready to pack it in. It was a joke, and then we...oh we won the league with a record points total. Never mind.
    Let’s just go back to signing big names from the Championship. Maybe someone who’s permanently in the Wales squad regardless of his form and an ageing midfielder looking to move back to the area.

Maybe we have no money so a poor League 2 players is the best we can do. Or perhaps we’ve properly scouted a player who’s a stand out in a struggling team, we’ve had a few of those ourselves over the years.

I can see why some default to the former but maybe the truth is somewhere in between… at least it’s a sign we’re trying to find undervalued players rather than Gallen having a chat with his mate at Palace about a player who used to be decent.

Plucked from League 2, just like MK Dons did with Darling at the same time Bowyer said there weren’t any good CBs out there. It’s not such a big step up that he can’t be good enough for a team challenging for promotion. Let’s see what happens before writing him off as a lower league no hoper.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    sammy391 said:
    Sounds as if O’Connell is a like for like Pearce replacement 
    Quick, can dribble, can shoot, young... Not sure I agree 😆
    Was extremely tongue in cheek! 
    Should be a grade up from Pearce in terms of football and style
  • Sponsored links:

• ButtleJR said:
    No more tonight...
    Tomorrow? 
  • If we’re going by stats, then this is a good signing and I’m hoping more of the same calibre through the door. 
  • Finally some excitement!
  • AndyG said:
    Valley11 said:
    Garner’s assistant has been appointed head coach at Swindon.
    That’s a little bit concerning. But perhaps explains why there’s been a delay. Hopefully Garner still gets to pick the backroom staff he wants.
    Maybe the delay was caused by sandgaard not wanting to pay the compensation Swindon wanted. 
    Oh FFS when will it stop ???

Right so TS delayed things to try and not pay compensation and then Swindon said to him, tell you what as we cant agree a deal for you to go and be a coach at CAFC why dont you have a go at managing 😂😂😂
    Beyond pathetic !!
    So I suggest a valid reason why there was a delay to getting the guy to Charlton & you respond by posting some childish fiction ? You're right of course you are beyond pathetic.
    Muppet. 
  • Never really seen him play in real life but I sign him on football manager regularly if I want a ball playing centre back 😂
    Same here 🤣

• Never really seen him play in real life but I sign him on football manager regularly if I want a ball playing centre back 😂
    Yeah its where I remembered him from :D

From what I remember of Rochdale in League One though, Brian Barry-Murphy (their Manager) had them playing a decent style of Football, think its what cost them their league status really as they just didnt have the all round quality.

Barry-Murphy must have been rated though, as he's now Man City's U23 Manager
  • Sponsored links:

• mendonca said:
    When we aim to sign 2, we sign 2.
    When we aim to sign 3, we sign 1.

2 will do for me.
    I knew it! 
    Nope, not me
    Nope, not me
  • AndyG said:
    Valley11 said:
    Garner’s assistant has been appointed head coach at Swindon.
    That’s a little bit concerning. But perhaps explains why there’s been a delay. Hopefully Garner still gets to pick the backroom staff he wants.
    Maybe the delay was caused by sandgaard not wanting to pay the compensation Swindon wanted. 
    Oh FFS when will it stop ???

Right so TS delayed things to try and not pay compensation and then Swindon said to him, tell you what as we cant agree a deal for you to go and be a coach at CAFC why dont you have a go at managing 😂😂😂
    Beyond pathetic !!
    So I suggest a valid reason why there was a delay to getting the guy to Charlton & you respond by posting some childish fiction ? You're right of course you are beyond pathetic.
    Muppet. 
    That's exactly my point though you didnt raise a valid point did you. I would naturally assume that anyone with half a brain cell would on reading that the guy has now stepped into the managers role would automatically know the reason why he didnt come here as a coach. As usual you are just throwing shit towards TS again completely without any sense of reason  and I stand by my comment that it is just pathetic
    Yeah its where I remembered him from :D

From what I remember of Rochdale in League One though, Brian Barry-Murphy (their Manager) had them playing a decent style of Football, think its what cost them their league status really as they just didnt have the all round quality.

Barry-Murphy must have been rated though, as he's now Man City's U23 Manager
    That Rochdale team were excellent to watch but got relegated as they let in loads of goals.

The sort of football which probably works better in a PL academy environment where you're trying to nurture flair
  • Moses Odubajo leaving QPR, attacking right back, would suit us, Greenwich born, 28 decent experience and CV.  Not a rumour.

To be fair in the previous season those players had been playing
    Reading - Championship
    Wednesday - L1
    Bournemouth - L1 playoffs
    Dagenham - star player in a relegated L1 team
    Oldham - L1

I'm not knocking O'Connell or any Swindon players we might sign, but there's a difference between the Powell signings and the L2 players that we seem to be linked with at the moment.
    Well not quite, Hamer had played for two different clubs at L1 level the previous season and played exactly 0 Championship games. Michael Morrison played just 12 games for Wednesday in L1 the season before and by all accounts stunk the place out, and Dale Stephens had been loaned to Southampton in L1 where he played 6 times. Danny Green did do well for Dagenham but they still finished 21st. We had some competition for him and the Bournemouth lads were a good get, but we picked up a lot of players who had had bad seasons previously and were cheap because they looked like damaged goods. O'Connell has played 101 League One games so let's not make him out to be some L2 nobody, he seems like he fits the way he want to play and has a lot of experience in our league
  • Scoham said:
    If this is accurate 🤤

Intelligence is good - been a little short in recent seasons.
    Fair enough Martin, glad to see the black box (FM database) is doing some decent work though. 
    I can only dream of being the next Thomas Driesen😉