Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Is it me or does it feel like the general majority view among fans is that Alfie May is the next Ajose, whilst Cole Stockton is the next best thing since sliced bread - even though they actually both have very similar records leading up to having one good season last year where they both scored 26 league goals.

I don't think I would risk spending the money on either to be honest.
    But we bought Stockley after he had scored far less than they did. Do you think it's some sort of reverse psychology where you buy a player who doesn't score goals in the belief that THIS season will be the one, instead of buying a striker that has shown he can score goals, even if it was for only a season. I know which one I'd rather sign.......

• Dave Rudd said:
    cafc4life said:
    Payne to Crawley confirmed.

or maybe not.
    JACK PAYNE TO SIGN FOR CRAWLEY - News - Crawley Town (crawleytownfc.com)

Done deal weeks ago.

:) 
    If he goes to Crawley, what is all this crap about Championship clubs wanting him? I would respectfully suggest they don't.
    I think you've been woooshed mate.

Crawley signed A Jack Payne last June (check the date on one of the links) and not THE Jack Payne. 
    Can't go wrong with double Payne
  • edited July 2022
    Is it me or does it feel like the general majority view among fans is that Alfie May is the next Ajose, whilst Cole Stockton is the next best thing since sliced bread - even though they actually both have very similar records leading up to having one good season last year where they both scored 26 league goals.

But we bought Stockley after he had scored far less than they did. Do you think it's some sort of reverse psychology where you buy a player who doesn't score goals in the belief that THIS season will be the one, instead of buying a striker that has shown he can score goals, even if it was for only a season. I know which one I'd rather sign.......

I mean we had Jayden Stockley on loan first so knew he could score goals for us, but anyway, Stockley:

- Was younger when we did first get him on loan, and when we purchased him.

- Already had scored 84 league goals before he came to us whilst overall playing at a consistently higher level then Stockton (who currently has 72 league goals overall) or May (who now has 136, but lots of those at non league) 

So if you were to line all 3 of those up to me now. Yes I would pick Stockley. Wouldn’t you? At this level I value consistency much more than just banking on one good season (especially if you’re paying money for that punt).
  • I didn’t realise Alfie May was nearly 29, thought he was younger than that, Mo Salah is 30, just saying  ;)
  • edited July 2022

1. Different playing styles
    2. Streaks of goals
    3. Calibre of teammates

- Although their records are identical, it’s what Stockton is able to bring to the team past his goalscoring that makes him more likely to kick on IMO. If May doesn’t score, what does he bring?

- May is also a streakier goalscorer. Stockton scored his 23 goals from 19 different games whereas May’s 23 came from 16 games including four in one match against Wycombe. Is that going to happen for him again?

- Of all the players, I was most impressed by Stockton when Morecambe visited the Valley. In contrast, I was more impressed by Cheltenham’s midfielders than I was by Alfie May earlier in the season. It’s only one game for each but it makes me lean towards thinking Stockton can be even better with better teammates. Did May already reach his ceiling?
  • Stockton and May are decent but I’d prefer Matt Stevens from FGR who I think can improve and is younger. Think he’s available on a free too.
  • Is it me or does it feel like the general majority view among fans is that Alfie May is the next Ajose, whilst Cole Stockton is the next best thing since sliced bread - even though they actually both have very similar records leading up to having one good season last year where they both scored 26 league goals.

How would you rate these 6 on which to sign and which to not?

The few full seasons before we did sign them...

A)

B)

C)

D)

E)

F)

• mart77 said:
    Stockton and May are decent but I’d prefer Matt Stevens from FGR who I think can improve and is younger. Think he’s available on a free too.
    Signed a new deal in Jan I read, unless it was until the end of the season which would be strange. Hasn’t featured for FGR in pre season but may be injured. 
  • Sponsored links:

• RedRobin said:
    mart77 said:
    Stockton and May are decent but I’d prefer Matt Stevens from FGR who I think can improve and is younger. Think he’s available on a free too.
    Signed a new deal in Jan I read, unless it was until the end of the season which would be strange. Hasn’t featured for FGR in pre season but may be injured. 
    Aww I missed that. I’d still hope he’s someone we’d look at as I think he fits the kind of player we’re looking for in that he’s young, a goalscorer and has good future sell on potential 
  • I didn’t realise Alfie May was nearly 29, thought he was younger than that, Mo Salah is 30, just saying  ;)
    Yes but can Salah do it on a cold Tuesday in Accrington 
    Erm probably not, he’s just signed a new 3 year deal at Liverpool!
    Sums up Sandgaard 
    We should have gone for him 🙄
    Sums up Sandgaard 
    We should have gone for him 🙄
    Some on here would still find a way to moan
  • A lot of conjecture about Stockton & May concerning age/goal record...
    What was Lyle Taylor's age and goal record the summer he signed for Charlton?
    Regardless, do any of us believe we're actually in for Stockton or May? 
    Can't see it myself, doesn't fit the profile of the activity so far.
    On that note, do transfer announcements ever happen at the weekend? If anyone could clarify it might save us all refreshing our various gossip tabs for 2/7ths of the summer.
  • Pleased he's staying at Swindon, I liked him when he was here but we need to be aiming for better.
    I don't see how that proves he is staying at Swindon?  I would assume if they received a suitable offer he would leave, like every league 2 player at every league 2 club.

I have no idea where this idea he was potentially going to Gillingham came from because he has another year on his contract and can't see Gillingham paying a fee.

He went to Swindon purely because of Garner, I wouldn't be surprised if he still left.  I would be surprised if we signed him.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Pleased he's staying at Swindon, I liked him when he was here but we need to be aiming for better.
    I don't see how that proves he is staying at Swindon?  I would assume if they received a suitable offer he would leave, like every league 2 player at every league 2 club.

I have no idea where this idea he was potentially going to Gillingham came from because he has another year on his contract and can't see Gillingham paying a fee.

He went to Swindon purely because of Garner, I wouldn't be surprised if he still left.  I would be surprised if we signed him.
    I shared a post from the CAFC Facebook group in which someone took a photo of a bald man with a beard sitting in McDonalds. He claimed it was definitely JW and that he overheard him talk about signing for Gillingham. Some believed it was JW, others felt it clearly wasn’t him.
    So what? Every player has his price. :smile:

• Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Pleased he's staying at Swindon, I liked him when he was here but we need to be aiming for better.

I shared a post from the CAFC Facebook group in which someone took a photo of a bald man with a beard sitting in McDonalds. He claimed it was definitely JW and that he overheard him talk about signing for Gillingham. Some believed it was JW, others felt it clearly wasn’t him.
    I remember that but we had a few people say they had heard the same after.  I would honestly file that rumour as a "Colin".
  • Redhenry said:
    This black box. Does it have 'pay transfer fee' turned off? 
    silly comment...
    It was a glib comment rather than "stupid.' What has impressed me is the utter secrecy of all the signings so far. In the past you have had good info about incoming transfers but I'm guessing you have also been kept in the dark this time around. Onwards and hopefully upwards!
  • Jac_52 said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    cafc4life said:
    Payne to Crawley confirmed.

or maybe not.
    JACK PAYNE TO SIGN FOR CRAWLEY - News - Crawley Town (crawleytownfc.com)

Done deal weeks ago.

:) 
    If he goes to Crawley, what is all this crap about Championship clubs wanting him? I would respectfully suggest they don't.
    I think you've been woooshed mate.

Crawley signed A Jack Payne last June (check the date on one of the links) and not THE Jack Payne. 
    Can't go wrong with double Payne
    Bit like double glazing
  • Is it me or does it feel like the general majority view among fans is that Alfie May is the next Ajose, whilst Cole Stockton is the next best thing since sliced bread - even though they actually both have very similar records leading up to having one good season last year where they both scored 26 league goals.

1. Different playing styles
    2. Streaks of goals
    3. Calibre of teammates

- Although their records are identical, it’s what Stockton is able to bring to the team past his goalscoring that makes him more likely to kick on IMO. If May doesn’t score, what does he bring?

- May is also a streakier goalscorer. Stockton scored his 23 goals from 19 different games whereas May’s 23 came from 16 games including four in one match against Wycombe. Is that going to happen for him again?

- Of all the players, I was most impressed by Stockton when Morecambe visited the Valley. In contrast, I was more impressed by Cheltenham’s midfielders than I was by Alfie May earlier in the season. It’s only one game for each but it makes me lean towards thinking Stockton can be even better with better teammates. Did May already reach his ceiling?
    Other than Bannan, Stockton imo was comfortably the best player to visit the valley. Intelligent runs, looked strong and quick, dangerous with the ball at his feet and he of course scored. I’m fairly confident if we were to sign him he would have a similar impact that Lyle Taylor had for us, think he’s just hit his peak and we could really benefit from him. 

Saying that I also think May is worth the money at 500k, would be an upgrade on Washington 
  • Super Clive was about 29 when he hit his peak with us, and Yann?