Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• swordfish said:
    This black box. Does it have 'pay transfer fee' turned off? 
    You do wonder who's going to be the first to break the mould as no one in L1 has paid a transfer fee as yet. My money's on Sheff Wed 🦉😡 and we must all beware the 'Foul Owl on the Prowl' (a track sung by the Little Willies, taken from the film 'In the Heat of the Night', staring Sidney Potter) 😎
    It’s Poitier 😉
  • edited June 2022
    Still not convinced it’ll be a 4-3-3. The way they’re talking and the players we’re signing, it could be closer to a 4-2-3-1. Control the midfield and possession and it can easily switch into a 4-3-3. 
    The players we have signed could hint at anything tbh.

Every formation has a center back, a right back cum wing back, a midfielder and a goal keeper in it.

There is still plenty to do, however it ends up.

Edit:

If the season started tomorrow the difference in squad compared to starting last season is:

No longer avaliable

Gunter +
    Matthews +
    Famewo +
    Pearce
    Watson
    Washington +

+ started the first game

Now avaliable 

Lavelle 
    Fraser 
    CBT
    Kirk
    Gilbey (medium term covid)
    JFC** (ACL)
    Aneke

Plus the 4 new signings 

We are miles ahead aren't we?  5? More players?  Most of them pretty good?

• Pompey in talks with Jack Payne, with our current midfielders it looks like we are probably missing out on him
  • Pompey in talks with Jack Payne, with our current midfielders it looks like we are probably missing out on him
    It was said earlier us along with others have been in talks with him with no concrete offers yet i still think we could get him in now aslong as we plan to shift 1-2 out sharpish rather get who we want now than risk being short if and when some do leave us 
  • Scoham said:
    Wonder if Payne only comes in there’s an unexpected departure, either Dobson or JFC? Neither will want to be backup, while Fraser, McGrandles and Payne if he signs will be here to play regularly.
    Doesn't play more of an attacking midfielder? I do think we need someone to compete with Fraser, as we know Fraser wasn't great when he joined us, and didn't have the best of times at Ipswich, I am not writing him off, but would be good to have some competition in the role he is likely to play. 
  • https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesdays-jayden-stockley-stance-after-interest-in-charlton-athletic-star-3748402

Fairly obvious as they signed Smith. Personally dont think Stockley would have left anyway but good news all the same.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Wonder if Payne only comes in there’s an unexpected departure, either Dobson or JFC? Neither will want to be backup, while Fraser, McGrandles and Payne if he signs will be here to play regularly.
    Doesn't play more of an attacking midfielder? I do think we need someone to compete with Fraser, as we know Fraser wasn't great when he joined us, and didn't have the best of times at Ipswich, I am not writing him off, but would be good to have some competition in the role he is likely to play. 
    Yes, he scored 13 last season, that’s the sort of return we’ve not had from CM in a while. Really need to move Morgan or Gilbey on if Payne or a similar player comes in otherwise we won’t be able to have the depth we need elsewhere.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Yes, he scored 13 last season, that’s the sort of return we’ve not had from CM in a while. Really need to move Morgan or Gilbey on if Payne or a similar player comes in otherwise we won’t be able to have the depth we need elsewhere.
    Morgan is the one to go for me, personally I like Gilbey, but as we know midfielders pick up injuries more often than most other positions, so it is good to have depth.. Question is, are they happy to come in and not be an automatic first pick!
  • JamesSeed said:
    felix_31 said:
    The Garner style of short, sharp passing in the final third absolutely suits the wide players who had previously struggled under Bow / Adkins / Jacko. 

Kirk in particular is not a winger who beats a man and gets to the byline, his game is about being on the edge of the box and opening them up with a five yard pass that no-one else saw.

The prospect of DJ, Kirk, Fraser and Stockley (don’t laugh) passing and moving with Blackett-Taylor’s pace coming off the bench against tired legs is an exciting one.

Add Scully and/or Stockton to that equation and I’ll be ready to join in with the pants spaffing.
    Watching Stockley live, I was surprised to see that his interplay is actually one of his greatest strengths - he has great ball control, can see a good pass, and very good at flicking it on to players running on - unfortunately there wasn't much of the latter going on last season, however.  Need some midfielders who aren't afraid to drive into the box and shoot 
    Yeah I agree with this. Lots of times Stockley would drop deep and control the ball and play a great pass out to someone on the wing.

I have the feeling he might surprise some people this season.
    Genuinely don’t remember him doing this nearly as often as he should have done. Sorry. 
    Sure, I’m not saying he did it all the time - all I’m saying is I’ve seen him do it enough to think he’s not as bad with his feet and his passing as people make him out to be. 
    He’s very much an inbetweener for me. Don’t mind if he stays, don’t mind if he goes. Can’t see him as an ideal player for the fast passing game Garner seems to prefer, but maybe that style of football will create more chances for him. 
  • edited July 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    Morgan is the one to go for me, personally I like Gilbey, but as we know midfielders pick up injuries more often than most other positions, so it is good to have depth.. Question is, are they happy to come in and not be an automatic first pick!

We need some proven depth in midfield, so would certainly welcome Payne...very very few players in the world of football in general who would almost expect automatic selection...
  • edited July 2022
    Morgan may impress Garner with not only his fitness which has improved in the last 12 months but he can close down and if he doesn't try too many Hollywood passes he can pass and also his set piece deliveries and assists were higher than most at Cafc.
    What Albie is poor at and which may well define his career so far is he can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

There is the template of a player there for coaches to work with but unless he can put in the extra time in the afternoon to work on his obvious weakness (shooting) where does he get in the team ?
  • -------------Wollacot
    Egbo ---- Lavelle - Oconnel ------*NEW*
    --- -McG ----Dobbo ---- JFC
    --------Fraser ---- Payne
    ------------Stockley

Few goals in this team, providing we get a LB who can get down the line and get crosses in i think would work well, as JFC could drop in and cover when they bomb forwards

• edited July 2022
    I’ll be disappointed if Payne chooses Portsmouth or another league one club over us, that’s if we are seriously interested. He would be a key component of what Garner wants and would have the advantage of on arrival knowing exactly what’s expected of him and already have several ex teammates in the squad. Almost guaranteed play time with a manager that really knows him and wants him in the team. We haven’t splashed any cash yet and a goal scoring midfielder is essential and hard to find. I’d be surprised if we can come up with someone that fits our requirements more than Payne or any cheaper.  
  • Not the Morgan v Gilbey debate again! FFS

Been going on longer than the infamous Wagstaff v Green discussion.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ll be disappointed if Payne chooses Portsmouth or another league one club over us, that’s if we are seriously interested. He would be a key component of what Garner wants and would have the advantage of on arrival knowing exactly what’s expected of him and already have several ex teammates in the squad. Almost guaranteed play time with a manager that really knows him and wants him in the team. We haven’t splashed any cash yet and a goal scoring midfielder is essential and hard to find. I’d be surprised if we can come up with someone that fits our requirements more than Payne or any cheaper.  
    I think the signings we have made so far have been evolution, add a couple of left backs, a left sided center back and a foward and you probably replaced everyone worth replacing who left.  And reached the squad cap.

I think already we will look more pleasing on the eye but unless 3 of those players are really top draw we won't be right up there. 

To me this summer will be made, or broken, on how much apitite there is for revolution or do they give it another 12 months to build the squad they want? 

I would try and do it this summer, with a bit of fine tuning in January, but it's not my money and I didn't sign some of the players that would have to go. 
  • edited July 2022
    Valley11 said:
    Morgan may impress Garner with not only his fitness which has improved in the last 12 months but he can close down and if he doesn't try too many Hollywood passes he can pass and also his set piece deliveries and assists were higher than most at Cafc.
    What Albie is poor at and which may well define his career so far is he can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

There is the template of a player there for coaches to work with but unless he can put in the extra time in the afternoon to work on his obvious weakness (shooting) where does he get in the team ?
    He doesn’t. Time to move on. Nice lad I’m sure but not up to it. Never known a player to have so many chances, not deliver and still have fans debating how we can unlock the Pirlo inside. There isn’t a Pirlo inside. 
    He really needs to move on to establish himself at another club. 

That will be Garner decision unless it compulsory to have one over 21year old, ex academy player in our team just to prove we are not just the stepping stone for young scholars to get an education and be part of the funding to off set the losses. Our young players either drop down the pyramid or go on to bigger and better things. 

It would be good to have academy players that can have a career with Charlton as we rise to the Championship. 
  • Not sure on the battle of the anonymous midfielders who I’d get rid of first. 

Morgan can at least take free kicks and corners to a decent standard, and Gilbey runs a lot.  I’d probably get shot of Gilbey as I can’t see him improving whereas Morgan is still young enough to get better.  
    Agreed.

I think Morgan has been badly coached, starting with Bowyer being obsessed with his tackling and defensive play, rather than concentrating on his decision making and attacking side.

Yes he is still young enough to improve, and should benefit from a Garner style manager.
  • We've said the same about Morgan every time we've got a new manager
  • Chunes said:
    We've said the same about Morgan every time we've got a new manager
    Agree, but he’s 22.  I’d have him nowhere near the XI currently, but 22 year olds have much room for improvement.  
  • Chunes said:
    Agree, but he’s 22.  I’d have him nowhere near the XI currently, but 22 year olds have much room for improvement.  
    I dont think he has the time anymore personally. Success is needed now and if he cant contribute to that then he will be off, on loan or permanently.  
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    Scott Twine is 22

More worrying is that Albie has made seemingly zero progress in recent years. Every manager has seen fit not to make him a consistent starter, he's the only constant there.

Don't know why he's not given a season out on loan, although I know we tried before and there were no takers in league football.
  • edited July 2022
    Looks like someone photo shot a pic showing Payne signing for Crawley … it could be true who knows 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I’ll be disappointed if Payne chooses Portsmouth or another league one club over us, that’s if we are seriously interested. He would be a key component of what Garner wants and would have the advantage of on arrival knowing exactly what’s expected of him and already have several ex teammates in the squad. Almost guaranteed play time with a manager that really knows him and wants him in the team. We haven’t splashed any cash yet and a goal scoring midfielder is essential and hard to find. I’d be surprised if we can come up with someone that fits our requirements more than Payne or any cheaper.  
    I think the signings we have made so far have been evolution, add a couple of left backs, a left sided center back and a foward and you probably replaced everyone worth replacing who left.  And reached the squad cap.

I think already we will look more pleasing on the eye but unless 3 of those players are really top draw we won't be right up there. 

To me this summer will be made, or broken, on how much apitite there is for revolution or do they give it another 12 months to build the squad they want? 

I would try and do it this summer, with a bit of fine tuning in January, but it's not my money and I didn't sign some of the players that would have to go. 
    Agree with this although I’m thinking that our LWB will inevitably be a young PL loan. We’ll use the loan system like all other lower league teams and hopefully better than last season. 
  • Chunes said:
    I dont think he has the time anymore personally. Success is needed now and if he cant contribute to that then he will be off, on loan or permanently.  
    He definitely has time to improve.  Assume you mean to prove he’s worthy of playing in the XI for us, which I agree he’s not a starter now.  

I want him loaned out for a season playing 40 games in league two, then you’d see where he’s at.