Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Has Alfie May moved yet?
    Dont think so i reckon we will see alot of movement tomorrow with contracts finishing today
    i really hope we are in for him local lad from gravesend and looks like a very good washington replacement have seen clips of him he is very direct and can take set pieces aswell
  • edited June 2022

I do feel we need a goal poacher - like BWP, BENT, MENDONCA 
    You might need to lower your targets a little there mate. 

Why im sure Mendonca would still fancy a game in between his shifts! 😂
  • Scoham said:
    Wonder if Payne only comes in there’s an unexpected departure, either Dobson or JFC? Neither will want to be backup, while Fraser, McGrandles and Payne if he signs will be here to play regularly.
    Couple things I take this.

Firstly our transfer business is so under the radar that this could be a complete non-starter.  But I think we all know this by now.

Secondly, you could be right he may genuinely not like Dobson for example, and sees him as a squad player, things like this happen in football one managers star man is another's back up.  The XI we’ll see first game will have some surprises for sure.
  • Or, in the spirit of wanting passing centre backs, Dobson moves into the back three where he played all of his academy football. Lots of potential options.
  • swordfish said:
    This black box. Does it have 'pay transfer fee' turned off? 
    You do wonder who's going to be the first to break the mould as no one in L1 has paid a transfer fee as yet. My money's on Sheff Wed 🦉😡 and we must all beware the 'Foul Owl on the Prowl' (a track sung by the Little Willies, taken from the film 'In the Heat of the Night', staring Sidney Potter) 😎

Dobson and Stockley to Wednesday for £1m combined  ;)
  • edited June 2022
    felix_31 said:
    The Garner style of short, sharp passing in the final third absolutely suits the wide players who had previously struggled under Bow / Adkins / Jacko. 

Kirk in particular is not a winger who beats a man and gets to the byline, his game is about being on the edge of the box and opening them up with a five yard pass that no-one else saw.

The prospect of DJ, Kirk, Fraser and Stockley (don’t laugh) passing and moving with Blackett-Taylor’s pace coming off the bench against tired legs is an exciting one.

Add Scully and/or Stockton to that equation and I’ll be ready to join in with the pants spaffing.
    Watching Stockley live, I was surprised to see that his interplay is actually one of his greatest strengths - he has great ball control, can see a good pass, and very good at flicking it on to players running on - unfortunately there wasn't much of the latter going on last season, however.  Need some midfielders who aren't afraid to drive into the box and shoot 
    Yeah I agree with this. Lots of times Stockley would drop deep and control the ball and play a great pass out to someone on the wing.

I have the feeling he might surprise some people this season.
    People said this at the start of last season when I was asking how Stockley could possibly work as a lone frontman in a passing team (under Adkins). We saw him play that role, it was clear he couldn't because he didn't have the mobility to get across the line or the technical ability to link. We saw the evidence. Is it wishful thinking to suggest anything has changed since then? It's not even about the players surrounding him, the guy can't move well and he's not the kind who can drop off and play on the half turn. 

I like how this new team is adding up but the Stockley equation is the one anomaly at the moment. 
  • felix_31 said:
    The Garner style of short, sharp passing in the final third absolutely suits the wide players who had previously struggled under Bow / Adkins / Jacko. 

Kirk in particular is not a winger who beats a man and gets to the byline, his game is about being on the edge of the box and opening them up with a five yard pass that no-one else saw.

The prospect of DJ, Kirk, Fraser and Stockley (don’t laugh) passing and moving with Blackett-Taylor’s pace coming off the bench against tired legs is an exciting one.

Add Scully and/or Stockton to that equation and I’ll be ready to join in with the pants spaffing.
    Watching Stockley live, I was surprised to see that his interplay is actually one of his greatest strengths - he has great ball control, can see a good pass, and very good at flicking it on to players running on - unfortunately there wasn't much of the latter going on last season, however.  Need some midfielders who aren't afraid to drive into the box and shoot 
    Yeah I agree with this. Lots of times Stockley would drop deep and control the ball and play a great pass out to someone on the wing.

Genuinely don’t remember him doing this nearly as often as he should have done. Sorry. 
  • To be fair, even when you are playing as a one up front you need people to join you and Stockley was terribly isolated last season when we played it.
    Agree, we tend to get hung up on formations if we have a bad experience, 4231 we all feared after Robinson and now the Adkins 433.  

It’s not the formation because there are various ones that work well with decent sides, it’s how we apply it, part of the reason it went so wrong last season is we changed it early on and then again when Jacko took over and it was square pegs in round holes.  
    Couldn't agree more, the formation (unless it's some thing ridiculous like a 442 🤪) is largely irrelevant.  It's how you play that matters.

The thing that Jackson got right was getting 6 or 7 of his best players, in their best positions/roles.  On the flip side it meant 3 or 4 square pegs in round holes.  The thing he got wrong was he didn't change it when he ran out of round pegs.

I suspect we will play both a back 3 and a back 4, at times, next season.  Even with a 4 we will probably go through the whole range of 4141, 4231, 433, the diamond, the box.  But we will play in the same style which ever we play.

The set up of the midfield?  I will watch with interest, I wouldn't even try and second guess what it will be.  Yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    felix_31 said:

Genuinely don’t remember him doing this nearly as often as he should have done. Sorry. 
    Sure, I’m not saying he did it all the time - all I’m saying is I’ve seen him do it enough to think he’s not as bad with his feet and his passing as people make him out to be. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    To be fair, even when you are playing as a one up front you need people to join you and Stockley was terribly isolated last season when we played it.
    Agree, we tend to get hung up on formations if we have a bad experience, 4231 we all feared after Robinson and now the Adkins 433.  

It’s not the formation because there are various ones that work well with decent sides, it’s how we apply it, part of the reason it went so wrong last season is we changed it early on and then again when Jacko took over and it was square pegs in round holes.  
    Couldn't agree more, the formation (unless it's some thing ridiculous like a 442 🤪) is largely irrelevant.  It's how you play that matters.

The thing that Jackson got right was getting 6 or 7 of his best players, in their best positions/roles.  On the flip side it meant 3 or 4 square pegs in round holes.  The thing he got wrong was he didn't change it when he ran out of round pegs.

I suspect we will play both a back 3 and a back 4, at times, next season.  Even with a 4 we will probably go through the whole range of 4141, 4231, 433, the diamond, the box.  But we will play in the same style which ever we play.

The set up of the midfield?  I will watch with interest, I wouldn't even try and second guess what it will be.  Yet.
    I know the 442 comment is tongue in cheek but Burnley punched way above their weight for years using it  right up till Dyche went in the PL, like we say, it’s how you use it. 
    Dont think so i reckon we will see alot of movement tomorrow with contracts finishing today
    i really hope we are in for him local lad from gravesend and looks like a very good washington replacement have seen clips of him he is very direct and can take set pieces aswell
    I believe players get paid for July too, so its August when the ££££ stop rolling in. 
    I believe players get paid for July too, so its August when the ££££ stop rolling in. 
    I am not sure but I thought it was that the players got paid up to June 30, unless they were told their contract was not being renewed, then they were paid until July 31 to enable them to find another club. I am sure someone will put me right if I am wrong
  • I believe you're correct Ross.
  • Chunes said:
    felix_31 said:

People said this at the start of last season when I was asking how Stockley could possibly work as a lone frontman in a passing team (under Adkins). We saw him play that role, it was clear he couldn't because he didn't have the mobility to get across the line or the technical ability to link. We saw the evidence. Is it wishful thinking to suggest anything has changed since then? It's not even about the players surrounding him, the guy can't move well and he's not the kind who can drop off and play on the half turn. 

I like how this new team is adding up but the Stockley equation is the one anomaly at the moment. 
    One of them was probably me. 

I clearly remember a game, in the early Adkins days, where Stockley got the ball to his feet and held on to it ages because Gilbey ballsed his run up twice and Stockley ended up passing it back to either JFC or Watson.

Then you had "the Plymouth" that was all on the floor.

I don't know what changed over the summer, it soon became hands on hips and doing the tea pot, blaming everyone else.

I wouldn't say he can't play Benball but he wouldn't be my natural choice.  Jury is out for me.
  • felix_31 said:

Mate no disrespect but Great ball control and him seeing a good pass is not what i saw from him and i went to the valley everygame last season i know its all about opinions but i always thought he looked lumbering and doesnt have a great touch or control at all i remember him taking heavy chest touches or heading it and it going miles either side of him
    agreed with better driving attacking midfielders willing to run onto knock ons maybe it could be better this year but yet to be convinced
    Same as my views, the amount of times I would see him undercook a very basic pass was incredible. 

Maybe Garner could coach him, but from what I’ve seen, there’s a 0% chance Stockley could play as the lone striker in a fast paced team with constant link ups. 

It’s either get it on his head from a cross or play him with someone quick so he can chest/head it down to them. 

One of the least technical strikers we have had imo
  • Stockley has his qualities, attacks the ball, occupies, defenders attention, and able to defend very well defensive set pieces - hey, he even scores goals, lots of them.
    But you need to play to these strengths.

My take? I'll wait and see how Garner uses him.
    And if he doesn't, then we'll know the answer.

• edited June 2022
    Does anyone recall the away game where Stockley was put in on goal, he just had to take a touch and get his shot away, but his touch went off his shin, rolled 14 yards away and out for a goal kick
  • Sponsored links:

• stockley is good in the air and is a competent target man - his touch is okay and he can lay it off ok most of the time and he's normally just happy he has found another red shirt - what he doesn't do is receive the ball, drop the shoulder, turn, beat a man then lay a defence splitting pass on or beat another man and shoot - its not his game - he also can't run the channels or drag defences wide - he is what he is and there is definitely a role for him even if just as a bit part but i can't see him wanting that and i can't see finances allowing it, particularly as chucks is also a bit part - my guess is he will move on and we bring 2 mobile strikers in  
  • DOUCHER said:
    stockley is good in the air and is a competent target man - his touch is okay and he can lay it off ok most of the time and he's normally just happy he has found another red shirt - what he doesn't do is receive the ball, drop the shoulder, turn, beat a man then lay a defence splitting pass on or beat another man and shoot - its not his game - he also can't run the channels or drag defences wide - he is what he is and there is definitely a role for him even if just as a bit part but i can't see him wanting that and i can't see finances allowing it, particularly as chucks is also a bit part - my guess is he will move on and we bring 2 mobile strikers in  
    You think Stockley leaves soon? No chance. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    stockley is good in the air and is a competent target man - his touch is okay and he can lay it off ok most of the time and he's normally just happy he has found another red shirt - what he doesn't do is receive the ball, drop the shoulder, turn, beat a man then lay a defence splitting pass on or beat another man and shoot - its not his game - he also can't run the channels or drag defences wide - he is what he is and there is definitely a role for him even if just as a bit part but i can't see him wanting that and i can't see finances allowing it, particularly as chucks is also a bit part - my guess is he will move on and we bring 2 mobile strikers in  
    not if we play 2 up front but i keep seeing people say we're gonna play a 1 or a 3 
  • Dion Conroy has joined Crawley. 
  • The friendly tomorrow should help us see what formation we’ll be playing.
  • The friendly tomorrow should help us see what formation we’ll be playing.
    I don't think it will, wouldn't surprise me if we played a different formation both halves.  It's only about fitness and trying things at this stage.

Powell, for example, didn't do anything to show his hand until the last preseason friendly.
  • DOUCHER said:
    I wouldn't say there is no chance of anyone signed pre 2022 leaving.

Some are unlikely, none are impossible.
  • I do think Garner will sign another out and out striker more suited to a 433. I still think he keep Stockley as competition and also gives us the option to go 532 with a strike partnership. Wouldn't be surprised if Tyreece Simpson is the one targeted. 
  • edited June 2022
    Still not convinced it’ll be a 4-3-3. The way they’re talking and the players we’re signing, it could be closer to a 4-2-3-1. Control the midfield and possession and it can easily switch into a 4-3-3.