Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Appreciate its a long shot but considering he is available, I would like us to try for Sarr though his wages might be an issue. 

LB/LWB is clearly needed along with a striker. Cole Stockton is still my personal 1st choice to fill that void. I Like Stockley and feel a signing like that would up his own tempo.

Must confess I dont know many decent LBs in the league so who would be peoples choice if viable? 

So far so good with the current signings though. Very encouraging and getting more excited for Accrington by the day!
    Purrington
  • The problem is with full backs/wing backs now is anyone decent and attacking is going to be on the radar of clubs higher up. Spence did well for Boro and is now joining a top 6 club in Spurs. Nicky Cadden did well at FGR as an advanced wing back and is probably going to join a Championship club, skipping League 1 completely. 
  • Appreciate its a long shot but considering he is available, I would like us to try for Sarr though his wages might be an issue. 

LB/LWB is clearly needed along with a striker. Cole Stockton is still my personal 1st choice to fill that void. I Like Stockley and feel a signing like that would up his own tempo.

Must confess I dont know many decent LBs in the league so who would be peoples choice if viable? 

So far so good with the current signings though. Very encouraging and getting more excited for Accrington by the day!
    I know the club were speaking to Sarr (this was in the Jackson era) but his wages were an issue.

But as time progress his and our expectations may become closer.

• Hang on, if my memory serves wasn't Sarr a Meire shagging defensive liability?
  • edited June 2022
    I think one more at least will come from the Swindon 21/22 squad, whether it's Reed, McKirdy or Payne it remains to be seen. 

FWIW someone's changed Payne's Wiki to say he plays for Orient? Obviously anyone can change it at any time
  • 4-3-3 has definitely made the number 10 redundant. After Courtino left Liverpool, they changed to a 4-3-3 and became more successful without him; Plus they got a fortune for him.

You don't play two wingers and number 9 in a 3 as we tried early last season when in August we struggled to even create a chance from open play. DJ would need to improve so much in the box to get one of the 3 positions up front. Somehow you copy Liverpool's 3 forwards who can all drift wide to receive the ball but can also be deadly down the middle. Karlan Grant type forward after he came back from loan at Crawley and could play wide and down the middle.
    Taylor was decent wide and central as well. 
    CBT can play in a 3 up front and he would be the wide man on the left or right and the other two should play slightly closer together as this is the 3rd tier not Championed League. I expect Corey to have plenty of assists and also more goals.  

Garner is going for younger legs and the age of our squad will continue to fall. At League 1 level if Conor Mc and Dobbo can emulate Rice and Phillips in the Euros when instead of being two holding midfielders they had plenty of movement and Phillips even got caught off side a couple of time in first game then this revolution may start to 
    Stockley isn’t a forward to play in the Liverpool / Man City 4-3-3 Not skilful enough with his feet and not quick enough. 

When the kids come through that may be the way we are looking to play , but not sure that’s going to suit him. 
    agreed - stockley is a target man, nothing more, nothing less and trying to play him as a loan striker has been proven to not work - he needs somebody to play off him - i won't be surprised if he isn't with us come the start of the season if that is how we are looking to play  
  • Hal1x said:
    Hang on, if my memory serves wasn't Sarr a Meire shagging defensive liability?
    Unfairly painted that way by many, especially early on in his time with us. However I think not only does distance make the heart grow fonder, but the absolute dross we served up the last 2 seasons in defence show that actually he wasn't a bad player at all, and I'm firmly in the camp that thinks he is more of an asset than a liability overall, and his positives outweigh the negatives.
  • RedJohn said:
    Stockley will do just fine. We should this season get plenty of balls into the box and there will be plenty of shots coming in on goal. Plenty of blocked and rebound balls to pick up. I have no doubt he’ll hold his own in the goal scoring stakes. We do need though someone to complement him and score upwards of 15 and I don’t mean Chuks. We don’t have that player yet. 
    Did Swindon last year have a big lump up front, genuine question, as I thought Stockley would be heading for the exit door, as I didnt think he would suit our new tactics.
    I don’t think Stockley is the ideal front man for Garners proposed style but he’s effective and scores goals in what he does. If we can replace his goals with someone who does suit better then great but I doubt we can. Be a brave move to get rid of someone who scores the number of goals he does. 
    He doesn’t score that many league goals when you take into account he’s the main striker. 195 mins per goal is solid, but not promotion winning. Some of those above him in the table were midfielders though, which tells its own story. 
    I agree that it’s a tough call to replace him. They’d have to get it right if they did. 

It's slim pickings with regards to left backs as far as I can tell so wouldn't surprise me if we get a Maatsen type loan from the league's above to fit the bill.

Also depends on what formation we'll be playing I guess. If we go with a 343 we could look at Conor Grant from Plymouth who did very well in the left wingback/left midfield role for them last season. Other than that I have no idea
  • Sponsored links:

• So it looks like he probably was a target for Jackson.

The change in manager has meant he is no longer required.
  • edited June 2022
    Funny enough maybe JJ was keen on him and he was on a list of targets, which is why we had the earlier rumour.

Edit: FFS knew I should have read the last page to see if someone else had mention this. 

I know the club were speaking to Sarr (this was in the Jackson era) but his wages were an issue.

But as time progress his and our expectations may become closer.

Makes sense ref wages. He would fit into the ethos of the ball playing defender! So hope its something we end up getting over the line!
  • I'd go for another at Lincoln, Anthony Scully. He's always impressed whenever I've seen Lincoln play and he's also from London so might fancy a move back home. 

11 goals in each of his last 2 seasons from the wing. 
    Great shout, the type of player we need. Very effective from the wing & probably equally so playing alongside a big man up top.
  • Yeah but they ‘put their bodies on the line’. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think it’s gone under the radar just how important shoring up the back four and the players in front of them are. I’ve loved the focus on improvements there so far. Dobson is brilliant but he can’t do it all himself.

Yes we need a goalscorer (or two depending on who you ask) but our defensive record over the last two years has been suspect at best. 

Excited to see Wollacott, O’Connell and now McGrandles integrate and, fingers crossed, make us one of the toughest teams to play against this season.
    Poor old Manny Egbo is the new whipping boy before a ball is even kicked.  ;)
    I'm actually expecting Manny to get as much game time on the wing as at full back. Looking at his dozen appearances for Swindon, he lined up in both positions at different times.
  • I'd go for another at Lincoln, Anthony Scully. He's always impressed whenever I've seen Lincoln play and he's also from London so might fancy a move back home. 

Yeah I've mentioned him on here previously. Likely to know Dobson from West Ham too. 
  • Wishlist: 

Payne.   A/m

scully     wing

cadden.  Lwb

May striker

they would all add alot of goals quality and assists to this team

now that would be my wishlist plus a few more loans if we lose anyone else

• You all think you could handle the X-Files puns? You really think? 
  • sam3110 said:
    The problem is with full backs/wing backs now is anyone decent and attacking is going to be on the radar of clubs higher up. Spence did well for Boro and is now joining a top 6 club in Spurs. Nicky Cadden did well at FGR as an advanced wing back and is probably going to join a Championship club, skipping League 1 completely. 
    That can't be right, I keep reading that signing league 2 players is 'on the cheap' and a 'negative option'
  • Leuth said:
    You all think you could handle the X-Files puns? You really think? 
    Well the truth is out there. 
  • Leuth said:
    I've mull-dered it over in my head and I've decided no
  • Leuth said:
    I've mulder-ed it over in my head and I've decided no
    That incorrect hyphen in your pun makes me want to smash your scully in. 

Remember his goal at The Valley made something out of nothing and took his chance well. 

One of the reason why last season was so boring was lack of that flair player. Previously, had someone like Holmes, Lookman, Aribo who could create some magic on there own. No one really had that ability and were all just honest professional instead of flair players.
    I think DJ has some flair both in skill and potentially with his passing as we saw him do for the Washington assist. We just need to get him on the ball in the right areas and with options making runs around him.