Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Frenchy said:
    Appreciate I may get laughed at for this, is there any chance that if/when we play 2 up top the plan is to use CBT there? Similar to how Leko was used in the Championship season. 

Would give us the option at least of having the best(? Maybe? We'll see) midfielders we have in Dobson, McGrandles, JFC and Fraser and still play CBT. Could also be a complete disaster of a plan don't get me wrong.
    I can’t see him playing anything other than 433 which at times is more like a 4231.  CBT’s game is outside beating a flapping full back to the touch line.  
  • edited June 2022
    Frenchy said:
    Appreciate I may get laughed at for this, is there any chance that if/when we play 2 up top the plan is to use CBT there? Similar to how Leko was used in the Championship season. 

Would give us the option at least of having the best(? Maybe? We'll see) midfielders we have in Dobson, McGrandles, JFC and Fraser and still play CBT. Could also be a complete disaster of a plan don't get me wrong.
    I can’t see him playing anything other than 433 which at times is more like a 4231.  CBT’s game is outside beating a flapping full back to the touch line. 

Agree and think I didn't phrase clearly enough. Just a thought that if at any point we decide to play with 2 up top in certain games/situations if this might be the thought process of management and so maybe not in the market for a striker (think at one point when we signed him he was described as a winger and striker?)
  • Yep as long as we keep adding quality and depth non injury prone players I’ll be happy.
  • Frenchy said:

I don't think it's the worst option in the world but would prefer a more natural striker to sign.

CBT getting the ball in the last third, not his own half, is a scary sight for the opposition 
    Noooooo!!!

Play a natural forward up front. Trying to shoehorn a player in just because you have players soared is madness.

(Now watch people pile on saying Henry was a winger before Wenger played him up front). 
  • Sponsored links:

• This guy hasn’t got a beard. One more to come tomorrow perhaps?
  • Vfrf said:
    Sounds like he’s done a Dale Stephen’s on them gave his reason for not signing a new contract as he wanted to move back to Scotland to be closer to his family and then ends up London :)
  • Swisdom said:
    mart77 said:
    A signing like McGrandles has me hoping we’re also in for Nicky Cadden who’s also a free agent this summer 🤞🏻
    He had a fabulous season last year but I doubt he’ll be short of offers.  He would be a serious statement of intent
    I thought we’d struggle to get McGrandles tbh @Swisdom so here’s hoping
  • Scoham said:
    Two signings ahead of where we were this time last year. Dobson then signed on 1st July and Famewo on the 8th.

We are miles ahead of where we were last year. I think we can put out a much better 11 now than we could in August last year when the season started. I still think it will be tough to get into the top 6 but things are definitely looking more positive 
  • Why does the Charlton fan in me make me feel he’s dobbos replacement…I’ve been hurt before 
  • The 4 permanent signings so far all seem decent.  Really good signs
  • So far all 4 signings have been upgrades to the squad, all very sensible free transfers on good length contracts, all fit our style of play and have a resell value to keep it sustainable, it’s early days but we’re shaping up well, the transfer business feels a lot more long-term already.
  • Sponsored links:

• The 4 permanent signings so far all seem decent.  Really good signs
    And if you look at the 4 perms they're replacing as Henderson, Gunter, Watson and Pearce it's hard to see how they could do any worse as a collective unit without meaning to knock Pearce and his efforts at least.
  • Jac_52 said:
    Vfrf said:
    I'm starting to wonder if 'Poundland Pep' might follow actual Pep's formation and line-up as a 4231: 

Jojo
    Manny - Lavelle - O'Connell - New LB
    Dobson - MacGrandles
    CBT - Fraser - Kirk
    Stockley

Really not a bad lineup as things stand.
    Pep mainly plays 4-3-3 with only one holding midfielder though. But agree that line up isn't too shabby but I'd be starting inniss until he inevitably gets crocked.
    Where do the goals come from? Looks like a less good version of the 17/18 team to me 
  • Really impressed with the signings so far but would like a striker in the building as one of the next signings along with the obvious hole at Left Back to be filled. 

Can definitely see where people are coming from with a potential lack of goals from other areas.
  • I think our fast pacey striker will be a loan from another club, same with one LB position. 
  • Still think we’re a winger short 
  • edited June 2022
    I think we need a marquee signing (not John Marquis) who can play in 1 of the wide positions or as cover upfront, that creates havoc and scores goals.

Think its unrealistic to expect us to sign a high profile striker when we've got Stockley and Chuks fighting for 1 place. So better to get someone who will be first choice on the wings but able to cover for the other 2 main strikers.

Edit: Then a left wing back and Naby Sarr (who can cover LB), and we are pretty much done in my opinion unless Davison/Gilbey leave. Plus loans.