Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• So John Bostock returns to the rumours as swordfish'slas prediction!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think anyone who thinks we can get promoted by only adding another 4 or so is off their head personally. 
    We could, we won't though.

If we signed 4 players of the standard that these were in league 1, (positions picked for obvious reasons) Wiggins, Aribo, KAG and Taylor, we could well be there or there abouts.

We won't sigh 4 players of that calibre so we need at least 6 or 7.
    Even with those 4 we'd have a strong side but the lack of depth, particularly at the back would kill us. 
    I don't know, are we just conditioned to a permanent injury crisis?  Obviously you have the Inniss factor but until we got our hands on him Lavelle had hardly missed a game in his career.  
    I probably do want more depth than necessary because of injuries. Although even if Lavelle stays fit all season I can't see how we don't need another CB. Three reliable CB's are enough plus the likes of Deji and Clare but Inniss is anything but reliable. 
    Even when we had 4 center backs we ended up with Pratley and Gunter playing there. 

In the Powell season did anyone other than Taylor, Morrison and Court start a game at center back? 
  • Cafc43v3r said: 
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think anyone who thinks we can get promoted by only adding another 4 or so is off their head personally. 
    We could, we won't though.

If we signed 4 players of the standard that these were in league 1, (positions picked for obvious reasons) Wiggins, Aribo, KAG and Taylor, we could well be there or there abouts.

We won't sigh 4 players of that calibre so we need at least 6 or 7.
    Even with those 4 we'd have a strong side but the lack of depth, particularly at the back would kill us. 
    I don't know, are we just conditioned to a permanent injury crisis?  Obviously you have the Inniss factor but until we got our hands on him Lavelle had hardly missed a game in his career.  
    I probably do want more depth than necessary because of injuries. Although even if Lavelle stays fit all season I can't see how we don't need another CB. Three reliable CB's are enough plus the likes of Deji and Clare but Inniss is anything but reliable. 
    Even when we had 4 center backs we ended up with Pratley and Gunter playing there. 

In the Powell season did anyone other than Taylor, Morrison and Court start a game at center back? 
    Exactly, and we were shit. We were unlucky that season to have Famewo out injured alongside Inniss, but Inniss is the setback, you have to have 3 decent reliable CB's because you know he's not. 

We had Doherty as 4th choice in 11/12 but the first three played a lot of games. If we hypothetically swap Cort for Inniss then Doherty would have played more and we probably wouldn't have got 100 points. 
  • edited June 2022
    Rothko said:
    Do people really think that's the end of the transfer business because there hasn't been any activity for 5 days?
    Certainly not.

But I've said on a couple of occasions that the earlier you do business the better it is. Use the pre-season games to bed the players in, especially as Garner wants to play a certain way. The day has gone when you can bring in a big lump up front on Aug 31st & everyone knows just to launch it up to him. 

Also, unlike many clubs in League 1 we are not just fine tuning the squad or replacing a few players here & there. We've basically lost half the squad & they need replacing. We all saw what happened last season when we started the campaign without a fit left back. As I type we are once again without a left back & have a midfield that last season were non scoring. And as @Airman Brown very succinctly said yesterday, all we've brought in so far are 3 League 2 out of contract players. 
  • 30th July can't come soon enough.
  • edited June 2022
    It’s goals that win matches and promotion. We havnt got enough goals in us just yet in my opinion. We need a striker to complement Stockley and chip in with 15+ and a goal scorer from midfield to score us 10. Add Chuks off the bench and we might well be in business.
    A man after my own heart. Unless we strengthen upfront we wont be going anywhere fast. Currently we are a man down from last season - and that didnt end to well. You can't go into a season with just 3 main striker, one of whom is young, loaned out last season & frankly not League 1 material & another who can't play 90 mins, especially not 2x90 mins. 
    To be fair I’m confident Garner and TS will think the same.
    You would think so, but we went into last season short up front & then ditched Schwartz after the window had shut meaning we couldn't replace him. We then loaned out Davison & was playing Burstow by the end of the season. Since then we've lost one of our main strikers. 

You'd like to think that we've learnt our lesson......🤔🙄
    The mistake was going into the season with Stockley, Washington, Davison and Schwartz as the four main strikers. As you say, Schwartz was let go later without replacement because we were so heavily focused on playing one up front under Adkins. When formation changed under Jacko, that's when we felt the burden of it. I would expect that we won't make the mistake of putting all our eggs in one formation basket going forward.

When Davison left, his presence was replaced with Aneke. We perhaps should've found another option given Aneke's history but Burstow started well and we specifically included that loan back clause so that he could play fourth choice. The injuries suffered by Stockley, Washington and Aneke all at the same time were not his fault, nor were they Kanu's fault.

I have every confidence that 1. Washington will be replaced and 2. Davison will also be replaced if he is let go. Sometimes you have to wait a bit to get the right player. If the only thing that mattered was getting them in early, we could've signed any old strikers. Perhaps some out of contract ones from League 2 that you rate so highly?
  • paulfox said:
    Nothing has changed, judge the overall recruitment process once the season has started , if someone started slagging any job off before it’s finished, we’d tell them to wait until it’s finished. It’s generally the same people moaning about recruitment that are picking at every little issue they can towards TS. I’m assuming the doubters that feel so strongly won’t be going to support the team, seeing as TS is treating staff and running the club so abysmally?. If by the time the season starts we are in no better a position, then TS and the process deserves to be questioned. Until then people need to let them get on with it because the constant shit being slung they’re way is mostly just unnecessary and unhelpful. There is probably plenty going on and we will all get some nice surprises……..hopefully.🤞
    Exact same thing was said last season. 

I'm not panicking just yet, but would like to see the main parts of the squad in the building by the time pre season games are being played, so 2 weeks time.

Loans should just be there as fillers. The odd Premiership 18 year old. Long gone are the days where you got an experienced loanee (last season the experienced ones lose Arter were unfit)

But we shall see. I will be the first to admit to eating humble pie when we sign some calibre players.
  • cafcfan said:

Vinnie also featured in the movie Swordfish. But I expect you knew that.  As did the cheaper, slower version of one of my old cars, which, imo, it was the star of the movie! 
    I didn't actually and haven't seen it, but I owe it to myself to check it out. I'll be keeping my eyes open for the car too, so thanks for the tip off.

BTW My handle comes solely from combining the sword on the badge with the addick nickname, it being a 🐟
  • Sponsored links:

• AndyG said:
    We will see the extent of the intent this season if Davison and Morgan are still named in the squad for this season
    I agree with this - neither are good enough - stockley is a decent target man but u can’t build your team around him, he’s too limited and chucks is a great impact sub - we need to sign two first choice strikers and offload Davison - if we don’t do that, nothing else matters coz we won’t be going up - not saying that’s all we need to do btw 
    Wouldn’t 1st July be a better date to want to come around ? Not that I actually know but I would have thought that anybody that signed a contract in a close season before now may have until midnight 30th June before it expires and they become a free agent and can sign and be announced by a new club
    Wouldn’t 1st July be a better date to want to come around ? Not that I actually know but I would have thought that anybody that signed a contract in a close season before now may have until midnight 30th June before it expires and they become a free agent and can sign and be announced by a new club
    30th July - Accrington away. We can concentrate on moaning about the 2-0 loss instead of the transfers that may or may not be happening.
    So our three free transfers we have signed so far shouldn’t have signed yet?
  • paulfox said:
    Nothing has changed, judge the overall recruitment process once the season has started , if someone started slagging any job off before it’s finished, we’d tell them to wait until it’s finished. It’s generally the same people moaning about recruitment that are picking at every little issue they can towards TS. I’m assuming the doubters that feel so strongly won’t be going to support the team, seeing as TS is treating staff and running the club so abysmally?. If by the time the season starts we are in no better a position, then TS and the process deserves to be questioned. Until then people need to let them get on with it because the constant shit being slung they’re way is mostly just unnecessary and unhelpful. There is probably plenty going on and we will all get some nice surprises……..hopefully.🤞
    Exact same thing was said last season. 

I'm not panicking just yet, but would like to see the main parts of the squad in the building by the time pre season games are being played, so 2 weeks time.

Loans should just be there as fillers. The odd Premiership 18 year old. Long gone are the days where you got an experienced loanee (last season the experienced ones lose Arter were unfit)

But we shall see. I will be the first to admit to eating humble pie when we sign some calibre players.
    We do need better quality undoubtedly, so far I’ve not been enticed to get my season ticket, still keeping the powder dry. Which may indicate as much as I won’t put the boot into TS, I’m not ready to just believe he walks on water, as some may think.But still willing to give the benefit of the doubt. A striker that can regularly turn up and hit the target and play plenty of games would be a welcome addition to the defensive players we’ve got so far.
  • AndyG said:
    We will see the extent of the intent this season if Davison and Morgan are still named in the squad for this season
    Absolutely this and leuth would add Gilbey to that 
  • AndyG said:
    This. 
    Different end of month contracts. Next end of month is tomorrow 
  • Stockley will do just fine. We should this season get plenty of balls into the box and there will be plenty of shots coming in on goal. Plenty of blocked and rebound balls to pick up. I have no doubt he’ll hold his own in the goal scoring stakes. We do need though someone to complement him and score upwards of 15 and I don’t mean Chuks. We don’t have that player yet. 
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    AndyG said:
    If they are part of a wider squad I don’t have a problem, but wouldn’t expect them in the starting 11 or be in the 18 regularly 
  • Stockley will do just fine. We should this season get plenty of balls into the box and there will be plenty of shots coming in on goal. Plenty of blocked and rebound balls to pick up. I have no doubt he’ll hold his own in the goal scoring stakes. We do need though someone to complement him and score upwards of 15 and I don’t mean Chuks. We don’t have that player yet. 
    Did Swindon last year have a big lump up front, genuine question, as I thought Stockley would be heading for the exit door, as I didnt think he would suit our new tactics.
  • paulfox said:
    AndyG said:
    yup but personally I wouldnt be that upset if Gilbey was still here ( sorry Leuth ) not saying I'm a massive fan but maybe he can do something this season. Whereas the two I mentioned imo will bring nothing that we havent seen which just isnt good enough if we are serious about progression
  • RedJohn said:
    Stockley will do just fine. We should this season get plenty of balls into the box and there will be plenty of shots coming in on goal. Plenty of blocked and rebound balls to pick up. I have no doubt he’ll hold his own in the goal scoring stakes. We do need though someone to complement him and score upwards of 15 and I don’t mean Chuks. We don’t have that player yet. 
    Did Swindon last year have a big lump up front, genuine question, as I thought Stockley would be heading for the exit door, as I didnt think he would suit our new tactics.
    I don’t think Stockley is the ideal front man for Garners proposed style but he’s effective and scores goals in what he does. If we can replace his goals with someone who does suit better then great but I doubt we can. Be a brave move to get rid of someone who scores the number of goals he does. 
    Different end of month contracts. Next end of month is tomorrow 
    It doesn’t work like that, for example despite us announcing O’Connell his Rochdale contract will officially end on 30th June and he’ll start his new contract with us on 1st July.
  • Generally don't like how quite it has gone again, surly we should of been really pushing for a left back to take to Spain and even another striker for this team bonding !!!
  • RedJohn said:
    Stockley will do just fine. We should this season get plenty of balls into the box and there will be plenty of shots coming in on goal. Plenty of blocked and rebound balls to pick up. I have no doubt he’ll hold his own in the goal scoring stakes. We do need though someone to complement him and score upwards of 15 and I don’t mean Chuks. We don’t have that player yet. 
    I don’t think Stockley is the ideal front man for Garners proposed style but he’s effective and scores goals in what he does. If we can replace his goals with someone who does suit better then great but I doubt we can. Be a brave move to get rid of someone who scores the number of goals he does. 
    I have said it before but if you actually rewatch all our games from last season how many players would you say are suited to Benball?

2? 3?  Then there are the ones that didn't play much, for reasons, JFC, Fraser and Kirk.  So what half a dozen at best.

I think it's completely unrealistic to get rid of half a dozen more, and replace them.

I do think the right 4 or 5, plus a lot of luck on the injury front, could propel us towards the top six.  Add 2 or 3 in January if you can, it's possible.  Unlikely but possible.

Unless there is the appetite to aggressively off load players we won't go up this season.
  • FAVADDICK said:
    Generally don't like how quite it has gone again, surly we should of been really pushing for a left back to take to Spain and even another striker for this team bonding !!!
    Maybe we are close on one or both but don’t see the point of flying them
    out for 2/3 days, I’m sure it will pick up again next week. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    RedJohn said:
    I have said it before but if you actually rewatch all our games from last season how many players would you say are suited to Benball?

2? 3?  Then there are the ones that didn't play much, for reasons, JFC, Fraser and Kirk.  So what half a dozen at best.

I think it's completely unrealistic to get rid of half a dozen more, and replace them.

I do think the right 4 or 5, plus a lot of luck on the injury front, could propel us towards the top six.  Add 2 or 3 in January if you can, it's possible.  Unlikely but possible.

Unless there is the appetite to aggressively off load players we won't go up this season.
    Whilst I totally agree, Stockley is a weird one. Of course he's not naturally going to be suited by the playing style but also, end of the day he is a striker. If we've got possession and we're putting balls into the box he will score goals. Without possession he's not the best at the high press and that is definitely a weakness but I think he's capable of scoring 20 goals if the delivery from the wide players is good. Kirk, CBT, Fraser, JFC, Dobson and the new lads might all be capable of playing to this style, so it's not impossible that another 3-4 quality additions plus a couple of squad fillers puts us right up there. 
  • Not always a fair comparison as some teams need more new players than others but does anyone know of a list showing how many signings each league 1 side has made so far?