Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2022 transfer rumours (Gilbey loan confirmed p513, a signing falls through last minute p541)

Comments

• Hoping that we see some dramatic improvement in underperforming players under Garner. Seems like the team bonding exercise has gone really well and expecting a left back to come in unless they are trying to use Clayden there.Lol
  • edited June 2022

The guy doing the step up's...have we sold Stockley.. B)
  • George Moncur has confirmed he’s leaving Hull on his Insta. Leyton Orient think he’s signing for them although I know he was linked to us a few pages back. 
  • edited June 2022
    mart77 said:
    George Moncur has confirmed he’s leaving Hull on his Insta. Leyton Orient think he’s signing for them although I know he was linked to us a few pages back. 
    Wasn't we linked with him a few years back? Not sure his career has developed as well as hoped.. But is he any better than we already have?

Edit; I have just seen goal scoring record in League One, it is impressive for a midfielder.. could actually be a good signing.
  • Wouldn’t be keen on Moncur. Hull manager reckons he hid a lot and was content to pick up his money.
    We’ve had enough of those over the last few years. 
  • I wanted him to sign a few years ago for us but he’s gone quiet of late. That said he strikes me as a ‘black box’ style signing as he has form at this level. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Wouldn’t be keen on Moncur. Hull manager reckons he hid a lot and was content to pick up his money.
    I think some of that was the manager trying to get him to move off their books. Tbh though I’d say he’ll end up at Orient. Cracking signing at that level.
  • Didn't Moncur bad mouth us when he went to Barnsley? Something along the lines of them being a much bigger club?

Not sure he is any better than what we have. Would rather go after Payne, although the fact we turned him down last year might go against us.
  • Didn't Moncur bad mouth us when he went to Barnsley? Something along the lines of them being a much bigger club?

Not sure he is any better than what we have. Would rather go after Payne, although the fact we turned him down last year might go against us.
    He didn't join us because of the anticipated playing style under Slade. Since I moved to Cornwall I haven't played golf with his dad and brothers so no longer have an inside track.
  • Sponsored links:

• Someone has edited Wikipedia to say Moncur is an Orient player.
  • Confirmed at Orient on three year deal. V big for them.
  • edited June 2022
    Leuth said:
    Slight bit of pedantry: the X factor player is Chuks Aneke and has always been. What we need is another X factor player for when our first one gets broken 

I'm a fan of Chuks Aneke and he is more our Y-factor player. Y can't Aneke play more games and minutes as he would slaughter League 1 as his record of a goal every 100 minutes is top notch. He could even afford to win the crossbar challenge most weeks if he gets 3 chances or more a game. He enjoys being the super sub which tells you his mind as well as his body can be an issue. Play Stockley for 60 and Aneke for 30 if need be but we need the option of the headed goals. (Shrewsbury at home)
    He was taken off more to save him getting a second yellow than because of injury in his time at Cafc; unlike Ryan Inniss !

Is that a confirmed fact that Chuks prefers to come off the bench? If so it's really weird
    JJ told me the shirt sponsors’ dinner that Chucks starting would not be anywhere near as effective as Chucks coming off the bench.
  • I don't think it will be, but if that was it for permanent signings I'd be disappointed, but maybe it's not quality that's lacking.  Maybe it's a mentality issue & Garner can get the best out of this group with a more positive, attacking attitude & style of play.

Take the England cricket team for example.  Same players, but a different coach & captain with a more positive style of play.

It's the hope that kills you!!
  • edited June 2022
    Yann is the one that proves is not about when you sign, it's about who you sign. He joined a month into the season, but was the magic dust that turned that team from good into special. Didn't matter if he joined then or 1st June, key thing was we got him and he was absolute mustard.

That was the exception to the rule where you need to get most of your players in before another few games are lost early doors.

We had Hayes who was a decent player but wasn't the X factor player that Yann turned out to be. Powell knew about Kermorgant from Leicester but it was a long shot on him being a success as his career because of the 4 years of illness in his late teens hadn't amounted too much when he joined Cafc.

Loans coming in after season has  started I get, but Thomas Sandgaard knows what happened last season so it would be foolish to leave it too late and get 4th and 5th permanent choices where we are playing catch up again.
  • To be fair we don’t want to fall into the trap of making signings for the sake of it , I’m sorry if this an unpopular opinion but looking at the squads that is there now we probably need 3 more defenders, 1 more winger and one more attacker , maybe another midfielder depending if we sell anyone but we do have a decent spine already 
  • edited June 2022
    Don't think we are going to start suddenly dominating possession with the same collection of midfielders, even with JFC back. Be extremely disappointed if there is not more movement there. 
  • Going back to Kirk, I hope he does have a future with us and think B.G is the man to make him the player we all know from his Crewe days, if that can happen he will be a very important player in the front 3, so part of me will be disappointed if he moves on to Blackpool. 
  • 'a decent spine' they were the goddamn problem 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2022
    The more I look into Egbo’s playing style and his strengths, the more I think we are likely to see him playing on the wing (competing with Blackett-Taylor, DJ and Kirk) rather than as a full back.

Perhaps we’ll see he playing in a back four or five when we want to play a particularly attacking style at home but otherwise it’s the reason why a signing like Callum Johnson still makes sense IMO. There will be tough matches to navigate and a steadier presence needed.

In my opinion we need a couple of full backs, a left footed centre back and a pacey striker to replace Washington.

A reshuffle of the midfield pack (ie players that can complement Dobson, JFC and Fraser) would be ideal but only expecting that to happen if we can move on some of the others like Gilbey and Morgan.
  • It’s goals that win matches and promotion. We havnt got enough goals in us just yet in my opinion. We need a striker to complement Stockley and chip in with 15+ and a goal scorer from midfield to score us 10. Add Chuks off the bench and we might well be in business.
    A man after my own heart. Unless we strengthen upfront we wont be going anywhere fast. Currently we are a man down from last season - and that didnt end to well. You can't go into a season with just 3 main striker, one of whom is young, loaned out last season & frankly not League 1 material & another who can't play 90 mins, especially not 2x90 mins. 
  • It’s goals that win matches and promotion. We havnt got enough goals in us just yet in my opinion. We need a striker to complement Stockley and chip in with 15+ and a goal scorer from midfield to score us 10. Add Chuks off the bench and we might well be in business.
    A man after my own heart. Unless we strengthen upfront we wont be going anywhere fast. Currently we are a man down from last season - and that didnt end to well. You can't go into a season with just 3 main striker, one of whom is young, loaned out last season & frankly not League 1 material & another who can't play 90 mins, especially not 2x90 mins. 
    To be fair I’m confident Garner and TS will think the same.
  • Chunes said:
    Don't think we are going to start suddenly dominating possession with the same collection of midfielders, even with JFC back. Be extremely disappointed if there is not more movement there. 

I think you underestimate what some decent coaching can do.
  • Valley11 said:
    Wouldn’t be keen on Moncur. Hull manager reckons he hid a lot and was content to pick up his money.
    Where was that said?